PDA

View Full Version : Cuero vs. Wharton

LowDownDawg
11-12-2003, 11:56 AM
What's the scoop on this matchup? I saw Wharton last year against Burnet and was not really impressed. How many times has Cuero played in the title game and how many titles do they have?

Gobbla2001
11-12-2003, 12:00 PM
Wharton's dangerous, very talented... Cuero's very fast and talented, just young...

Cuero has 9 state championship appearances (70, 73, 74, 75, 85, 86, 87, 93, 98) but have only won 3 (73, 74 and 87)...

Oh well...

<small>[ November 12, 2003, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: Gobbla2001 ]</small>

bc 76
11-12-2003, 01:45 PM
Speed & Size Wharton has the advantage there.As far as wharton's defense rice had a hard time going outside wharton, defense just too fast.If not for that long run by rice late in the 4qt wharton would have held rice to 150 total offense.

Hal I. Tosis
11-12-2003, 02:01 PM
Not true bc 76. The long run was on the first possession of the third quarter to put rice up 12-9. Rice had right at 300 yards of offense. Wharton played outstanding all night and I give them their due. IF they play hard, Wharton should beat Cuero, but that's a BIG if. Wharton is notorious for playing hard one week and playing dead the next week. Good luck to the Tigers.

RAIDER96
11-12-2003, 02:43 PM
Don't l;et Whartons win win over Rice fool you. Yes Wharton played a very good game but at the same time Rice looked pretty bad , they just were not pumped up for this game. The coach had told them not to worry about it because they were already in the play offs. Go figure?! This should be a good game. Go Gobblers!

Soleus
11-12-2003, 03:02 PM
RAIDER, i'm not calling you a liar or anything. But I seriously doubt that any coach would tell any team not to worry about a district championship game. Especially with the rivalry between these two teams. I think both teams played well, Wharton just came out on top.

SintonFan
11-12-2003, 03:06 PM
LowDownDawg:
What's the scoop on this matchup? I saw Wharton last year against Burnet and was not really impressed. How many times has Cuero played in the title game and how many titles do they have?As for last year, I saw the Burnet-Wharton game and it wasn't even close. Burnet just dominated Wharton everywhere. I've seen Cuero and they could play with anyone in the state. That power running game is really good. Throw in an ex-5A coach(Victoria HS, before the merger) and their speedy defense and you've got a dangerous team in the playoffs. Cuero is back...

bc 76
11-12-2003, 03:09 PM
Hal i tosis you take away that long run and rice has maybe 200 yds of offense.Good luck to you all the rest of the season.

RAIDER96
11-12-2003, 03:14 PM
Soleus:
RAIDER, i'm not calling you a liar or anything. But I seriously doubt that any coach would tell any team not to worry about a district championship game. Especially with the rivalry between these two teams. I think both teams played well, Wharton just came out on top.Did not mean to offend you but thats what happened. I'm not sure of the reason behind it and don't really care if you believe it. Rice did play a pretty good game and lost to a good Wharton team but I know that they were not as pumped for this game as they were for the Bellville game. I would also like to add that the Wharton players have made improvements in the maturity department. Alittle help from the coaches and the 3 or 4 bad seeds could probably lined out. Thats all I've got to say.

beefy
11-12-2003, 03:27 PM
Cuero is not in wharton's league. I will be surprised if they can stay within 14 points of the tigers. The tigers will roll!!!!!

LowDownDawg
11-12-2003, 04:03 PM
What is the breakdown on both teams, good rushing, passing? What do they both do best, and how do you stop them or beat them? Not looking for smack talk. Just the facts, m'am.

LogieJoeBean001
11-12-2003, 04:24 PM
Raider96,

If this doesn't sound like just a case of sour grapes, I don't know what does. Since when would ANY coach throw away a District Title for his team and school. That just doesn't sound right? The coach must have been running a temperature that day, then, or something!

<small>[ November 12, 2003, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: LogieJoeBean001 ]</small>

44INAROW
11-12-2003, 04:26 PM
beefy:
Cuero is not in wharton's league. I will be surprised if they can stay within 14 points of the tigers. The tigers will roll!!!!!And just exactly what league is Wharton in? I am curious.

LogieJoeBean001
11-12-2003, 04:28 PM
I guess you would be looking for information, lowdowndawg, since there is the possibility that Wharton might be the one ya'll play. Now, wouldn't that be stupid someone giving away information on themselves, especially how to beat them! Even if someone responds that has beaten Wharton, it doesn't mean that the same way would beat them the second time. Teams change and adjust. But....there again.......

the tigers are back
11-12-2003, 08:19 PM
I will go with the Wharton tigers on this one,because i saw them play against navasota and they really have a good running-back by the name of huddson something like that.I tell you this you better not give him any running room,because he will take it all the way.I also seen Cuero play Sealy and Cuero came out with a big win and an upset over the tigers.I also say this that wharton has a passing game especially when they send out 4 wide-receivers out on the line of scrimmiage.I say wharton should come out on top only if they do not turn over the football and play a tough defensive game. eek!

rodeo6
11-13-2003, 01:04 PM
I'll have to give the edge to wharton in this one.
his one can blow wide open if Cuero doen't play the best defensive game they've ever played.

whtfbplaya
11-13-2003, 04:47 PM
Should be a great game, I don't know that much about Qwero I did all my research on Gonz.

Who will be at the game?

sinfan75
11-13-2003, 08:28 PM
Cuero wins.

sinton 1316
11-13-2003, 09:16 PM
i dont know too much about wharton, but im rooting for the gobblers!
go cuero!

CheerMom
11-14-2003, 01:36 AM
Cuero has a very good chance of knocking Wharton out in the first round. Saw quite a few Cuero boys sitting on our side tonight. Good Luck in beating the Tigers!!

rodeo6
11-14-2003, 09:21 AM
After watching halletsville last night, I'm going to call this a close one.Halletsville runs the same offense as wharton and cuero did a good job with it.I'll see you at the game. Gobblers all the way.

sinton66
11-14-2003, 09:38 AM
I haven't seen Wharton play, but I have seen Cuero. Sorry folks, I gotta go with the Gobblers on this one.

pirate4state
11-14-2003, 09:52 AM
sinton66:
I haven't seen Wharton play, but I have seen Cuero. Sorry folks, I gotta go with the Gobblers on this one.I agree, Good Luck Gobblers!! :)

bulldog94
11-14-2003, 09:55 AM
If Cuero wants to win this game, they will need to stop the big play. Wharton's has a number of weapons that can go score at any time, Qb#11, RB #22 and 2 good receivers, #86 and #7.

Pudlugger
11-14-2003, 10:04 AM
Cuero wins this by 2 TDs. Consistancy and talent wins over flash and talent every time. :mad:

<small>[ November 14, 2003, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: Pudlugger ]</small>

whrtntig1
11-14-2003, 10:34 AM
Yeah- that's what Gonzales said last year. What was THAT score---oh yeah Wharton 33,Gonzales 21.

sinton66
11-14-2003, 10:43 AM
Relax bud, nobody's downing your team, merely expressing opinions on the outcome.

Specklebelly
11-14-2003, 10:50 AM
The results of this game all depend on what Wharton team shows up. Wharton has more talent and if both teams were to play their best game, Wharton would win. The problem is that is one big IF with Wharton. Who knows what team will show up.

Ill take my chances with the Tigers. Im betting they will build on the momentum they started last week and play a good football game. Playing in Victoria on that turf, its possible they could run circles around Cuero. Then again, its possible they get beat by 3 TDs. Good Luck to both teams.

<small>[ November 14, 2003, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: Specklebelly ]</small>

LowDownDawg
11-14-2003, 11:21 AM
Yeah, I'm trying to get a scouting report. I'm sure all the coaches come on here to get all their information. wink Just a simple question, if you don't want to answer then don't. We don't get to see many teams east of I-35 over here. I have been watching HS football for over 40 years and I have seen Cuero quite a few times. They have always had athletes, but not always used them to full potential, in my opinion. I don't have any stats in front of me, so I don't know if they are a passing team first, run second or the other way around. How has their defense been? Any real playmakers? I saw Wharton play last year and they have some talent, not sure the coaching matches the talent. Should be a good game, good luck to both teams.

LogieJoeBean001
11-14-2003, 11:43 AM
Again, just sour grapes about Wharton beating Rice, Cheermom. You'd be cheering for our opponent, no matter who they were, just because you'd like to see Wharton get beat. Please, stop with the childishness and pettiness. Here's an example; I wish the Rice football team and all of the fans the best of luck this week. You guys are a good team and may you have a successful playoff season. (I AM being sincere when I say this, by the way)

Grownups who still haven't learned how to be as gracious in losing as they are in winning!

CheerMom
11-14-2003, 11:50 AM
My cheering on Cuero has nothing to do with Wharton beating Rice. I have certain teams that I favor over others in High School, College and in the Pros. It has nothing to do with who beat who. You maybe the one who needs to grow up since you are constantly bringing up the game and throwing it in our face. Wharton outplayed Rice that night. Wharton won. The game is over. Can we just move on!!!

44INAROW
11-14-2003, 12:08 PM
beefy:
Cuero is not in wharton's league. I will be surprised if they can stay within 14 points of the tigers. The tigers will roll!!!!!Still waiting on Beefy's reply - I am curious what "league" Wharton is in

BigTim
11-14-2003, 12:21 PM
if cuero wins wharton will lose. They will lose.

LogieJoeBean001
11-14-2003, 12:45 PM
Oooooo, you hurt my feelings, Cheermom. Waaaaaaaa.... Just kidding. It'd take a whole lot more than that. I'm not trying to rub anybody's face in anything...just stating facts. Just supporting my team, just like you are! I feel pretty sure you say these things just to get a rise out of anyone you can and darn I played right into your hands, didn't I. Bad me, bad me. (Spanking both hands)

I still graciously and sincerely say congratulations to you guys and may you have a successful playoff season.

<small>[ November 14, 2003, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: LogieJoeBean001 ]</small>

LogieJoeBean001
11-14-2003, 12:55 PM
HEY CHEERMOM, I'LL BE SEEING YOU AT THE BASKETBALL GAMES!!! ALRIGHT?

beefy
11-14-2003, 02:21 PM
here's my reply. Wharton has the caliber of athletes that could play at any high school level (4a or 5a). They should and in my opinion will out athlete the gobblers. If Hudson gets loose, there is nobody on cuero's team that can catch him. Wharton seems to have about 6 of those speedsters at different positions on the field. There is no one on Cuero's team that can block the Heard kid. If Kellen wants to play tonight, then there is nothing that the gobblers will be able to do about it. He's that good. Heard problems stem from lack of inspiration. Julius and several other d-linemen are over the 300 pound mark as well. There is a difference between fatties and big athletic linemen.They are athletic big kids. `The gobblers are a good football team. I did not intend to imply that they are not. They just cannot play with those kinds of athletes for 48 minutes.

44INAROW
11-14-2003, 02:39 PM
beefy:
here's my reply. Wharton has the caliber of athletes that could play at any high school level (4a or 5a). They should and in my opinion will out athlete the gobblers. If Hudson gets loose, there is nobody on cuero's team that can catch him. Wharton seems to have about 6 of those speedsters at different positions on the field. There is no one on Cuero's team that can block the Heard kid. If Kellen wants to play tonight, then there is nothing that the gobblers will be able to do about it. He's that good. Heard problems stem from lack of inspiration. Julius and several other d-linemen are over the 300 pound mark as well. There is a difference between fatties and big athletic linemen.They are athletic big kids. `The gobblers are a good football team. I did not intend to imply that they are not. They just cannot play with those kinds of athletes for 48 minutes.It will be a good game. I hope the Gobblers come out on top.

LogieJoeBean001
11-14-2003, 02:40 PM
WAIT A MINUTE, BEEFY!!!! I don't know who the heck you are, but don't be talking that kind of smack about Wharton. I resent you saying that they could play with any 4a or 5a. (Where is Andrews anyway?) I KNOW they couldn't hold their own to my hometown team, Lufkin. I don't think there is a person here in Wharton that would ever make as bold a statement as you just did, so I can pretty much figure you're not from here, but just trying to get other people mad at Wharton. You sound like some of the Burnet posters (or are they from Burnet at all that talk like that about Burnet...hmmmmm?) and we don't need those kind of posts. You make us ALL look bad. Put a cork in it!

<small>[ November 14, 2003, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: LogieJoeBean001 ]</small>

Pudlugger
11-14-2003, 05:04 PM
I interpret Beefy's statement to mean that certain individual athletes on the Wharton team would make the starting team at many 4A and 5A schools. That seems reasonable. Most good 3A teams have a few players of that caliber. I know La Grange does. :)

whtfbplaya
11-15-2003, 09:32 PM
LogieJoeBean001:
WAIT A MINUTE, BEEFY!!!! I don't know who the heck you are, but don't be talking that kind of smack about Wharton. I resent you saying that they could play with any 4a or 5a. (Where is Andrews anyway?) I KNOW they couldn't hold their own to my hometown team, Lufkin. I don't think there is a person here in Wharton that would ever make as bold a statement as you just did, so I can pretty much figure you're not from here, but just trying to get other people mad at Wharton. You sound like some of the Burnet posters (or are they from Burnet at all that talk like that about Burnet...hmmmmm?) and we don't need those kind of posts. You make us ALL look bad. Put a cork in it!He is just talking about certain players, and yes we have had at least 8 players in the last 2 years that would have started at Lufkin.