PDA

View Full Version : Movie Review - The Alamo

slpybear the bullfan
04-10-2004, 07:20 PM
Okay,

The slpybear went and saw this on its very first viewing at the Fossil Ridge theater in Fort Worth.

Only one thing I thought was really horrible.... It was the opening presentation of the movie at the theater, and the dolby track was messed up. For the first 20 mins of the movie we listened to "Days of our Lives" instead of the soundtrack... and then the rest of the movie the sound was of very poor quality. Turns on the CD with the sound on it was malfunctioning, so we go the old fashioned sound off of the film reel. (There almost was a second Texas revolution in the lobby as 180+ Texans threatened the manager if they didn't get a refund. We did. :) )

About the movie...

I. Overall, good job by Disney. I think they learned from Pearl Harbour... Don't try to make a historical movie about War that everyone will love. It is too much to do in 2~3 hours. In this one, they set up a great story around the overall theme that "Heroes are just like all the rest of us, except they get placed into trials and come out strong..." Or something like that.

II. Pace - The movie is pretty deliberate... it does take its time in getting to things. But it fits in with the setup for the action at the end.

III. Look of the movie - Awesome. This movie hands down is the most authentic looking Alamo movie ever made. They especially went to great lengths to make San Anonio look like San Antonio of spring 1836... not Laredo in August. Costumes were great and again, look more authentic then anything else.

IV. Acting - generally good, servicable performances by all... Billy Bob Thornton did an outstanding job as David Crockett. Dennis Quaid played Sam Houston with a little too much spite, I thought. Overall, decent performances by all.

V. Storyline - Good. You could tell that a lot of it ended up on the cutting room floor to get the movie down to feature length. This movie was begging to be a 5 or 6 hour mini series. I will enjoy the extras on the DVD when it comes out.

The story focuses on the "Real" men that are behind our Texas heroes, Travis, Bowie, Sequin, Houston, and Crockett. I won't bore you with the details, but the men all had their share of the typical problems of the day. Something that we tend to gloss over as we lionize them and enshrine them in History. But, to this poster, realizing that our Heroes were men like you and I just make them even more special.

A special note, I was pleasantly suprised how they treated the death of Crockett at the end of the battle. And on a larger note, I was pleasantly suprised that this movie kept Political Correctness at arms length and just tried to make a good Historical drama. I commend Disney for that.

VI. Reccomendation? Yes. This is not a family movie. This is not a well-rounded drama with romance, patritotism, etc. IT is a good movie about the Alamo. And it does come closer than any other I have watched to what historians believe really happened.

VII. What about John Wayne's Movie? Yeah... we can't really avoid that, can we?

John Wayne made THE MOVIE about the Alamo. No point in arguing, it is done and it is the mark by which all others have to be judged. The Duke made a thoroughly entertaining movie that the whole family could watch. Innaccurate? Yes, just as much as any other movie made in the 60s. A little over the top on the patriotism? YOU BET. It was the way the Duke did things.

Is the new one as good as the Duke's version? Well, I am gonna have to say, Yes. They are really two different styles of telling the same story. And both do a good job. If I had to choose only one? Gimme the Duke. But don't make me choose only one... :)

noitall
04-10-2004, 08:24 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing the new Alamo movie. I was always a big fan of John Wayne and it would be hard to find a more entertaining movie about the Alamo than the Dukes original story but history has changed alot of the facts that I grew up believing about the story of these Texas heroes. Regardless of what is said about Crocketts death these were very brave men indeed, Crockett included. Anyway I'm really looking forward to seeing the new movie.

PhiI C
04-10-2004, 08:56 PM
Thank you for the great review Sly. I got over the Dixie Chick thing and plan to see the movie next week. I read one movie critic who said Billy Bob Thorton was very good but it goes to show that everyone has different opinion which is ok. From what you have said the movie is worth the money. When the dvd comes out we can see the longer version. Once again great job and thank you.

slpybear the bullfan
04-10-2004, 10:32 PM
Sorry Phil, I am gonna have to edit my post... What I meant for that to say was that Billy Bob Thornton did a GREAT job as David Crockett... I will have to reword that somehow!

Good movie... I just hope the Dolby sound works for everyone else!

JasperDog94
04-10-2004, 10:37 PM
Thanks for not spoiling the ending. I can't wait to find out who wins...:D :D

kaorder1999
04-10-2004, 10:38 PM
just go tback from watching it...thought it was freaking awesome....

olddawggreen
04-10-2004, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the great review Sply! Ive been reading the book that is based on the screenplay, gonna try to see the movie tomorrow night. Sounds great, cant wait!

Just an interesting note, when the casting was going on in Austin and Dripping Springs, the Austin American Statesman said that one of the most difficult task the casting director had was finding extras for the Mexican Army that were thin enough to appear that they had just marched all the way from Central Mexico with few rations other than what they could find along the way. The Alamo Defenders were a little easier, But it seems some of us are a little heavyer than our forefathers were back in 1836.

slpybear the bullfan
04-10-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
Thanks for the great review Sply! Ive been reading the book that is based on the screenplay, gonna try to see the movie tomorrow night. Sounds great, cant wait!

Just an interesting note, when the casting was going on in Austin and Dripping Springs, the Austin American Statesman said that one of the most difficult task the casting director had was finding extras for the Mexican Army that were thin enough to appear that they had just marched all the way from Central Mexico with few rations other than what they could find along the way. The Alamo Defenders were a little easier, But it seems some of us are a little heavyer than our forefathers were back in 1836.

Finding reenactors who are small enough for extras can indeed be a problem. Average size of anglos in that time would have been around 5' 6" and 140 lb. I dare say Latinos in Santa Anna's army would have been smaller indeed.

Old No. 7
04-11-2004, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Thanks for not spoiling the ending. I can't wait to find out who wins...:D :D

LOL, good one!! :D

Old Tiger
04-11-2004, 09:15 PM
Now I'm not gonna know how the story went... :(

Z motion 10 out on 2
04-12-2004, 03:56 PM
From an amateur history buff I noticed a couple of things:

1) Crockett did not die in battle swinging Ol' Betsy as in John Wayne’s movie, rather he was captured like in the De La Pena Diary. Great line that he gave at the end.

2) There was no line drawn in the sand by Travis.

3) The Mexican soldiers spoke in Spanish and we that don't, read the subtitles. Good move I thought.
e
4) Travis was killed in the begging of the battle and shot in the head as told by his slave Joe after the battle was over.

So I would say this is as accurate a movie as can be made. Sue there was some "Hollywood" involved but from a historical perspective I thought it was right on the mark. I would love to see it again.

Z Motion gives it Two Thumbs up!

kaorder1999
04-12-2004, 06:45 PM
i thought it was great.....

AggieJohn
04-12-2004, 10:47 PM
little news on it.....

apparently the movie only drew in 9.2 in it's opening weekend....which was a 3rd place position to the passion and Hell-boy, the only movie it rivaled was the johnson's family reunion

sidenote: the movie cost 98 mil to produce along with several other mil for promotion and it has basically bombed at the box office

slpybear the bullfan
04-13-2004, 09:12 PM
You know, after reading about it, I think the movie is destined to fail. I loved it, but I am a bigtime history nut, especially interested in Texas History...

Why would your average Joe in Brookly or Des Moines get fired up about it?

Hmmm... maybe that DVD release IS just around the corner...

Phil C
04-14-2004, 04:08 PM
I will be going to see the movie tonight. Looking forward to it.

Old Tiger
04-14-2004, 05:06 PM
I'll just wait till it comes out on dvd

PhiI C
04-14-2004, 11:28 PM
It was a great movie! I just hope they make money on it but they expended so much on it that they may not make any money. I can see why Old may want to wait until the dvd comes out because probably it will show scenes that were cut. Still I think the first time one sees it should be on the big screen. I thought the John Wayne movie was better but still it was a great movie worth seeing. And BillY Thornton's scene with the violin and the Mexican band is bound to be a classic scene.