PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Question

Ranger Mom
04-08-2004, 09:47 PM
We got our cellphone bill in today at the office and it was $977.00. It usually averages about $150.00.

Evidently someone cloned 2 of the 3 phones that were on there and made a bunch of calls to and from Mexico.

After spending the ENTIRE morning trying to get it straightened out, we were issued a $700.00 credit and advised to get rid of our old analog phones and go with a GPS phone.

Does anyone know anything about those?? I have been given the pleasure of researching it, and thought I would ask my friends on the low before starting anywhere else.

Thank you so much in advance!!!

:)

Old Tiger
04-08-2004, 11:15 PM
I think GPS phones are for if someone steals or you lose it they can track it with out any problems.

Ranger Mom
04-09-2004, 07:25 AM
From what I understood from Cingular, is that it doesn't use the old towers to transmit the calls, it uses a satellite.

From what I was told, in the near future, all analog phones will be obselete, and we will have no choice but to go to GPS phones.

They cannot be cloned, but they are VERY pricey right now!

Keith7
04-09-2004, 09:05 AM
If you travel alot GSM is not the way to go.. the satellites do not reach every part in the U.S.

My friend and I got stuck in the snow in New Mexico and couldn't use our phones because we had no reception..

lepfan
04-09-2004, 06:16 PM
I have Cingular service...the phones we have are GSM, they use the satelites. There are places we don't have service, but no more than with the analog phones.

Keith7
04-09-2004, 06:32 PM
heres a coverage map for cingular.. the blue is the area that is covered by GSM as u can see, if u travel.. GSM may not be the way to go, until they get the entire nation covered

http://www.gsmworld.com/cgi/imap_gsminfo.pl5?cou=us&net=be&x=0&y=0&z=0&frame=map

here is a link to a page with good info about GSM

GSM INFO (http://www.gsmworld.com/cgi/imap_gsminfo.pl5?cou=us&net=be&z=0&x=0&y=0&frame=middle)

Adidas410s
04-10-2004, 12:08 AM
OK...I guess I can step in and clear all of this up now since I work for Cingular here in Abilene. First off, GSM is NOT a satellite system. There are not any wireless providers that offer satellite service because it is too expensive right now. You can buy a satellite phone that will run you around $1000 (or more) and then your calls cost $$$/minute. Its not a really viable option unless you a) are the US military/govt or b) are filthy rich and live on a yacht in the ocean!

In regards to the maps that were previously posted from GSM world, these maps are VERY outdated and are from before Cingular even launched GSM in the West Texas Market on October 1st. You can disregard the March 1st date because it is missing A LOT. I am unable to access the maps from the Cingular website because they are working on the server tonight. I will post the correct maps tomorrow or Sunday.

To address your first issue, YES you do want to get rid of your bag/analog phone because the FCC is turning off the analog signal within the next 12 months. The reason is because it takes up tower space. 1 GSM channel on a tower can hold 9 calls while analog holds 1 and TDMA (the digital network Cingular, Cell One, and AT&T HAD been on) can hold 3.

Second, to explain exactly what GSM is to you so that you can have the best possible understanding. GSM has a lot of advantages to it. First off, the signal is the "best" signal available. Cingular, AT&T, and T-Mobile use it. Sprint and Verizon are on a rival network called CDMA that was created by Qualcomm and are unable to convert to GSM without overhauling their system...but thats an entirely different story that I wont get into. Currently, your coverage area in TX will cover 90% of the population by mid-summer. The only remaining "hole" in coverage is in some parts of the Hill Country and that will be covered by 4Q when our acquisition of AT&T is finalized. GSM is running in all major cities and interstates, as well as the eastern 1/3 of TX. Being able to post the maps will help clear up all of this for you.

The other option that your company might want to consider would be going with a GAIT phone. All that means is it is a phone that is GSM capable but will work off the GSM network and revert back to the TDMA and Analog signals when available. Yes there have been software issues with the 6340i that Nokia put out, however the final revision to the algarhytms (sp) in the phone were finished a few weeks ago and the final software update should be available in the next few weeks. The current software is a very good version but still causes occasional problems in some of the phones.

Either way, you really cant go wrong with either option. Being a business, the corporate reps may have been offering you a Blackberry or Treo phone which are PDA type phones. Yes they are indeed VERY pricey. However, their are GSM phones available that are FREE after rebates with a 2-yr service agreement. There is a GSM that can fit virtually anything that you need it to do. For example, I have a Motorola V400. It has a camera built into it that alows me to take pics as well as send and receive to e-mail and other picture-capable phones. Also, I have a calender that I use on a regular basis to set up reminders in my phone for things such as meetings, concerts, etc. It has numerous other features that are very beneficial as well. We off 4 phones that are "world phones," meaning that you can use the phone overseas as GSM has been THE wireless phone service everywhere else in the world since the mid-late 90's. We have phones that are "bluetooth capable" Bluetooth technology is a wireless headset technology that is hands free AND cord free. You only have to have your phone with in apprx. 30 ft of your headset when you are on the phone and you will have a crystal clear call. Cingular has many different options at reasonable prices and I am sure that the people in Midland cand find something that will fit you and your business' needs best.

You may hear people compare the GSM network to that of Sprint's, a very thin "spider legs" network that works in the major cities and interstates. However, the GSM network is 4X larger than Sprint and is a GROWING network, unlike Sprint that has remained unchanged for the last 5 years in TX. Yes Sprint does offer a "full nationwide" map, but do not be confused by this claim. The following link is their "nationwide" map. The dark green area is Sprint coverage and the light green is their off-network roaming area. You have to manually tell your phone to roam off-network and then charges of approx $1/minute apply to your bill. Here is that map : http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/coverage/NatwideNetwk.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1441563&CURRENT_USER%3C%3EATR_SCID=ECOMM&CURRENT_USER%3C%3EATR_PCode=None&CURRENT_USER%3C%3EATR_cartState=group&bmUID=1081573497243

I apologize for taking a "pot shot" at Sprint but I just wanted to state the facts on their service because I know many people that are pleased with the limited coverage that Sprint has to offer them. If you have any further questions feel free to post them and I will try to answer as best as I can.

Old No. 7
04-10-2004, 09:27 AM
Adidas410s, thanks for the info. I sure miss my old bag phone. Do they make a digital bag phone?

Keith7
04-10-2004, 01:50 PM
good info..... i was just going by what i understood... sorry if i confused anyone