PDA

View Full Version : Advice for New/Expecting Fathers/Mothers

vet93
04-07-2004, 10:29 AM
I enjoyed reading about the news from Vfunk that he was going to be a Dad along with the announcements of several other posters who have just had children. My wife and I just found out that we are expecting our 4th child and we are really excited. I thought that it would be neat to hear some parenting pearls of wisdom from some of the downlowers.

The Bible compares children to arrows in a quiver...."Blessed is the man whose quiver is full". This is such a good analogy. Just like an arrow...when we "shoot" our children out into the world it is important that we take good aim and make sure that our "arrows" are ready for the trip. Give your "arrows" the strong, straight shaft of CHARACTER so that they will not splinter when they hit the hard times of life. Give them the feathers of FAITH so that their aim will be true to its target in life. Give your "arrows" the sharp point of KNOWLEDGE so that they will penetrate and stick to their target (whatever it may be). And lastly give them the nock of a FIRM FAMILY FOUNDATION so that they will not slip off the string before they even have a chance to move toward a target.

As parents, if we spend more time teaching character traits to our children and less time concentrating on SAT scores and achievement tests...we would not have to worry about many of the social ills that plague our society today.

CatWoman
04-07-2004, 10:49 AM
That is a good point. I would like to add a couple of things. Character is not only taught. They need to see these traits in their parents.

One thing I think is important is for parents to occasionally get away alone. Everybody needs a break.

When they get older, open your home to their friends. You get a chance to really get to know their friends and if they are at your house, you know where they are.

When you tell them not to do something -- tell them why and the consequences of doing it.

Most of all love them and love each other.

I have more, but I'll stop there rather than really get on my soapbox.

Ranger Mom
04-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Congrats Vet93......yall are making me feel OLD!!

No words of wisdom from me......I'm still learning myself.

vet93
04-07-2004, 11:35 AM
Good points Catwoman...especially the part about modeling the character at home!! And by the way...don't stop...let's hear some more of your "soapbox" advice....it sure sounds good so far. I also liked your advice to tell your kids why you made a decision or said no and let them know the consequences. I heard somebody say one time "Discipline without Relationship = rebellion".

Originally posted by CatWoman
That is a good point. I would like to add a couple of things. Character is not only taught. They need to see these traits in their parents.

One thing I think is important is for parents to occasionally get away alone. Everybody needs a break.

When they get older, open your home to their friends. You get a chance to really get to know their friends and if they are at your house, you know where they are.

When you tell them not to do something -- tell them why and the consequences of doing it.

Most of all love them and love each other.

I have more, but I'll stop there rather than really get on my soapbox.

vet93
04-07-2004, 11:37 AM
RM...we are all still learing!!! I bet that you have some great ideas about parenting!!

Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Congrats Vet93......yall are making me feel OLD!!

No words of wisdom from me......I'm still learning myself.

fullhouse
04-07-2004, 12:03 PM
(1) Teach them about God.
(2) Stay VERY involved in their lives. Find what their interested in and dive into it with them. Support them in any and everything extracurricular that they want to get involved in.
(3) Keep the lines of communication open and flowing. They need to know that they can talk to you about anything.
(4) NEVER stop giving them hugs and kisses ~ no matter how big they get.

slpybear the bullfan
04-07-2004, 12:33 PM
Well, they have already been said above, but...

1.) Make God the center of their lives.
2.) Remember that everything you say and do they evaluate and remember.
3.) They may know they are loved, but you need to reinforce it everyday with actions.

Just my opinons...

CatWoman
04-07-2004, 01:23 PM
Never say, "my child would never do that" you're likely to eat your words.

I have tried to teach my daughter to tell me or ask me anything and she has put some doozies to me, but I always answer her directly and as accurately as I can, even if I have to pick my jaw up off the floor before I start.

Pray for God's guidance to help you. "As for me and my family, we will serve the Lord"

Encourage your children to read a lot and include the Bible in that reading. The instructions in it are very clear.

BullsFan
04-07-2004, 06:19 PM
I'm not a parent, but can I drop a word of advice from a teacher?

Read to your child. Every. Single. Night. It's the single biggest thing you can do to ensure your child's success in school, and it's a great way to bond with your little one. So much of what happens to your child in school centers around reading, and the time you spend reading to them and with them will be time MORE than well spent.

aamove
04-07-2004, 11:13 PM
respect is something that is earned not something that is commanded.