PDA

View Full Version : Much "Adu" about "Freddy"

Green Ranger
04-05-2004, 07:43 PM
Ok I apologize to those who do not like soccer, but if you dont like soccer you can choose not to hear my gripe. I am sure some of you know Freddy Adu made his professional debut this weekend. Sportscenter and PTI both slammed soccer cause he didnt start the game. Those of you who dont know he is 14. It wasnt that long ago I was 14, and I was more worried about who the hot girls were rather than I am going to score on national TV and I dont mess up my lines with Pele in a commercial. All the interviews, people say he is well past his age as far as being mature. I think Freddy being so young and being signed, is a sign that more youth are picking up the game. Just curious what others think.

jason
04-05-2004, 07:54 PM
i think that if people (sportswriters, etc) who know soccer and say he is one of, and could be the best player ever and is the highest player in the league and he doesnt start then something needs to be done, either the coach fired or 'the team disbanded and its players picked up by other teams' -tony kornheiser (PTI). i didnt get to see the game, but if i were one of those 25,000 who bought a ticket, just to see HIM, and he didnt even start, i would be pretty mad...:clap:

Green Ranger
04-05-2004, 09:55 PM
To bring this back to the top one, but to bring up a point. I point was made but not as big as when C. Anthony was sitting and would not go back in the game, was anything done or said to him. There were several number one draft picks who did not start the next NFL season. Yes Freddy Adu is an up and coming superstar, the hype was is is GOING TO BE one of the greats. Lebron is going to be one of the greats. They arent as of yet and need some time to grow. Freddy has been nothing but a professional in the way he has acted and coming off the bench. Leave the kid alone and let him do his job. As far as buying a ticket and going to see one player in regards to the TEAM, you are missing the point in my opinion. As far as I am concerned it is not who starts the game but who finishes it.

jason
04-05-2004, 09:59 PM
yeah but LeBron started and played most of his debut, and carmelo did the same in his debut...as for him not playin cause they were losing, that was dumb but it was him..the only reason 25,000 people went to that soccer game was to see Adu, you think that many people care about his team, i dont even know what team hes on...if you're gonna hype a player to be the best, he absolutely HAS to start...do you think that game would have been on ABC if he wasnt playing? No, because not enough people care to give the sport a prime time spot....

Green Ranger
04-05-2004, 10:12 PM
As far as the game being on if Freddy wasnt apart of it, it could have been and probably would have been. Adu is on DC United who played San Jose Earthquakes (Landon Donovan, another young star) who are the champions from last year. As far as numbers of those who attended the game, it was talked about. DC United averaged 20-1 thousand per game last year, so yes numbers went up but 20 thousand is a good number for a soccer game. Yes Lebron and Anthony played more, but they played through high school where Adu hasnt had that chance and is still improving his skills.