PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use broadband telephone?

Sans Couth
04-05-2004, 01:14 PM
If so..

what are the pros and cons?

kaorder1999
04-05-2004, 02:24 PM
ive never heard of it

Old Green
04-05-2004, 05:13 PM
ttt

Never heard of it either. Tell us how it functions.

Sans Couth
04-05-2004, 06:32 PM
Supposedly,

If you have a cable or dsl broadband internet connection, You can buy a small piece of hardware that will plug into your hub on one end, and plug a regular telephone into the other end. Afterwards, you can pick your are code from wherever you want in the US, and pay 20 bucks a month for telephone service that will let you call any number in the country. From what I have been hearing, it works just like a regular phone. You pick it up and get a dial tone, and just call whoever you want, and it will ring whenever someone calls your number. The best part is, that you can have a local number anywhere you choose, so if you have family in NYC for instance, you can get a NYC phone number. I am thinking about getting it, but I was hoping someone that had it could tell me how they like it.

poncho
04-05-2004, 06:40 PM
Wow that seems to good to be true. I wonder when the phone company will argue their getting cheated. You know like the post office did about email.:cool:

kaorder1999
04-05-2004, 06:41 PM
hmmmmmmmmmm.....im thinking about trying it....that looks pretty cool but im not sure why I havnt heard of it before...kind of scary

Rabbit'93
04-05-2004, 06:53 PM
It's called "Voice Over IP". you're basically talking over the internet rather than the standard twisted pair. It will really revolutionize the way we talk on the phone. With the speed that cable can run at (3 MB) video phones are gonna be the next big thing. you'll be able to transfer data and other cool stuff. Comcast willbe offering in the Dallas area late this year and early next year. I can't wait.

sinton66
04-05-2004, 06:56 PM
I think Yahoo and AOL are doing something similar. I saw where with my YIM I could sign up to make phone calls from my computer to anywhere in the world for something like two cents a minute or something like that. I didn't investigate thouroughly, but I remember seeing something about it when I got IM.

Rabbit'93
04-05-2004, 06:57 PM
Hey KA i'll see if I can dig some stuff up for you. I wouldn't sign up with some small company. I would wait for the cable co. out there to come out with it. The telephone co doesn't have the bandwidth to offer it and satellite doesn't have the capability.

3afan2K3
04-05-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
I think Yahoo and AOL are doing something similar. I saw where with my YIM I could sign up to make phone calls from my computer to anywhere in the world for something like two cents a minute or something like that. I didn't investigate thouroughly, but I remember seeing something about it when I got IM.
I've seen that to. You can probably just download seomthing from the net that lets you do it free.

kaorder1999
04-05-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
Hey KA i'll see if I can dig some stuff up for you. I wouldn't sign up with some small company. I would wait for the cable co. out there to come out with it. The telephone co doesn't have the bandwidth to offer it and satellite doesn't have the capability.

good idea....for all i know i might just be giving my money to some college kid who has found a way to steal money from people....hehe

slpybear the bullfan
04-06-2004, 08:25 PM
I know everyone knows this, but with High Speed connections you can do voice conferences on YahooIM...

that would help with the long distance calls.

Interesting idea though...

Ranger Mom
04-06-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
I know everyone knows this, but with High Speed connections you can do voice conferences on YahooIM...

that would help with the long distance calls.

Interesting idea though...

You don't have to necessarily have high speed. I have dial-up and have been involved in many voice conferences with no major problems.

Sans Couth
04-07-2004, 01:06 PM
Well I signed up. It was painless and it only cost me 30 bucks. My new phone bill is supposed to run 20 bucks a month for unlimited calls in the US. I will let you guys know how it works. They also have a bunch of other cool stuff.