bulldog65
09-16-2003, 06:13 AM
"Posted on Tue, Sep. 16, 2003

Crowley pitcher commits to UT
By Mercedes Mayer
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

STAR-TELEGRAM/RON JENKINS
MEAGAN DENNY

Crowley pitcher Meagan Denny, the 2002 Class 4A state softball tournament MVP, committed to the University of Texas on Monday, Crowley coach Laura Moore said.

Denny was 30-0 last season with 26 shutouts in leading the Lady Eagles to the Class 4A state title. She posted a 0.13 earned run average in the regular season and was a Star-Telegram first-team selection.

"I think it's a great choice for her," Moore said. "Texas has great tradition, and she wanted to go somewhere where she felt like she could make a difference and make an impact on the program. We think she can do it."

Denny also considered Baylor, Arizona and Florida State. She returned from a visit to Arizona on Sunday, and "called and canceled her Florida State visit because she felt in her heart that Texas was where she needed to be," Moore said.

Texas was defeated by UCLA 2-1 in the final elimination game of the Women's College World Series last season. The Longhorns ended with a 49-9 record."

Texas got a good one Phil.

sinton66
09-16-2003, 06:53 AM
I'm not Phil, but I like softball too. This is good news for Texas. I am so glad Texas went into the big twelve. Lots of stellar Texas atheletes are staying in state now. I'm very happy about that. wink

bulldog65
09-16-2003, 07:42 AM
Glad to hear you are a fan 66, my oldest daughter(Shana), is pitching for Northwood University. They both have the same pitching coach, (Jim Davis) and I have caught and watched Meagen develop since she was 10. We knew back then she was going to be something very special!

Phil C
09-16-2003, 01:36 PM
That is great news Bulldog! You have made my day. It is great news! Texas will be in good shape with pitchers after next year since the CAT will be back for her junior and senior years after the Olymphics and both pitchers can give each other a rest when needed. Texas has done well with getting Texas girls to stay in Texas and that is great. And when the CAT graduates Meagan will be a junior with two more years. Hopefully (and I am sure they will) Texas will get some more run and defense support.