PDA

View Full Version : Ways to save on fuel cost

Old Cardinal
04-02-2004, 03:46 PM
There are a couple of simple ways to save, especially when you are traveling across the country:

#1 Murphy USAs at WalMarts--You can get a card order form at the Murphy's stations in front of most larger WalMarts and get a 3 cent discount card on gas and other products. I simply go into WalMart and transfer say, $200 of value from another Credit card on to the Special Discount card....Now here is the interesting thing-you can go on the Internet under "Murphy USA" and they have a mapquest site that is very superior for travel, that also includes all Murphy stations along your route and THE PRICE OF THE FUEL THAT DAY at each location, with a little map- if it's a little off the route plan laid out! They also have a book of locations (for free) to carry in your glove compartment.

#2 Stop at a Conoco and send in a from from there. You will get a new card (Mastercard) that gives a 3 % discount at Conoco, Union 76 and others. Now at $ 1.70 a gallon that is 5.1 cents off every gallon! Also, you get the same discount on any items at the Truckstop adjacent; including food from the restaurant. They also give a good Senior Discount at the Restaurant added on to the savings. If we just share this with our friends it will help on the fuel cost for everyone.

If you know of other savings available, please share them with us?

lepfan
04-02-2004, 08:51 PM
Ride a bike.

Ranger Mom
04-02-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
Ride a bike.

This is kinda off the topic, but the above quote made me think of it.

I was talking to a lady during basketball whose daughter just had knee surgery. She said she asked the Dr. why you saw so many knee injuries, she didn't remember seeing them like that when she was young.

His answer is that kids just don't ride bikes like they used to, so their knees are week. They now jump on a dirtbike, fourwheeler, go-cart, or whatever.

I had never thought about it before, but it makes perfect sense to me!!

Sans Couth
04-02-2004, 09:25 PM
I have found the best way to save on fuel costs is preventative maintenance, and planning.

If you don't take the old SUV for granted, and keep the oil changed and the air in the tires at proper level, your milage will be efficient. And if you plan your travels, and don't make 9 trips to town in a week, when you could have don it in 3 you will save more than just gas...you will save on your most precious asset...TIME.

Leopards,class of 75
04-03-2004, 11:24 PM
Get in a carpool on the way to work or to school. Don't waste trips, drive smart and keep your car tuned up.

SintonFan
04-04-2004, 02:18 AM
While it's still cooler, Drive with your AC off. In a trip from SA to Sinton, with the AC off, I made 35 2/3 MPG. On the way back, with the AC on, I made under 25 MPG. That's a huge difference. Of course my cars has a four banger so it is more affected by my AC.
If you're driving in town with frequent stops, it might be a good idea to keep your AC on to prevent overheating though.
As yall said before, keeping you're car tuned up is the best bet.

sinton66
04-04-2004, 06:20 AM
Believe it or not, a clean car with a good wax job gets better mileage also. Only a mile per gallon or two, but better for sure. The slick surface created by the wax helps it to reduce wind drag, therefore less energy expended.