PDA

View Full Version : This really stinks!!!!

Ranger Mom
04-01-2004, 02:32 PM
We passed a bond election not too long ago and one of the first things on the agenda was building a new track......we haven't been able to host a track meet in 6-7 years because of it's poor condition.

We took bids (of which there were very few) and hired the company. They completely tore the track up and stacked all the asphalt in stacks around the track.....then went bankrupt!!

According to the bankruptcy laws, we can't re-bid the work until all their "red-tape" has been done.....we can't even touch any of the stacks of asphalt or anything. Therefore.....we aren't even able to practice track at our own school.....we are having to hop a bus and drive 12 miles to Stanton (2-A) and share their facilities with them. Thank You Stanton!!!

Evidently, this company was in various stages on several W. Texas tracks, and they are all in the same boat we are. They can't even guarantee it will be cleaned up by next football season!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

oh well
04-01-2004, 02:41 PM
Same company @ Wall same result

Phil C
04-01-2004, 02:46 PM
It is always easier looking back Ranger Mom. Was this company the lowest bidder. The lowest bidder isn't always the best one to choose. Also you should have had a accountant like me look over their audited financial statements and there might have been a giveaway there. If they didn't have audited financial statements that would have been a red flag. I am sure they had good references though. Sometimes in a case like that it can be messy when there are subcontracters involved. When a bid is advertised you need to have legal council involved with the contract so you don't have to be tied up with subcontracters if it is possible. Of course that would mean the work of an attorney. Sometimes it is best to spend a little more money to save money in the long run. You have my sympathy.

Wildcat81
04-01-2004, 02:47 PM
Yea that stinks

Ranger Mom
04-01-2004, 03:26 PM
From what I have heard...they were the only company that even put in a bid....so yes, they were lowest, highest and everything in between.

My sister-in-law works for Hunstman who has something to do with the Co. that has gone bankrupt - she said no one can even find anyone else around these parts to finish the jobs.

In another note, the company that built the Grande Communication Sports Center in Midland also went bankrupt!!

CHS_Grad '85
04-01-2004, 03:39 PM
Man that does stink... hope a resolution is found quickly so your kids don't have to travel so much... and yes snaps to Stanton for sharing...

kaorder1999
04-01-2004, 04:24 PM
gotta hate that

CatWoman
04-01-2004, 05:21 PM
Ballinger is in the process of getting a new track as well. I haven't heard any progress reports or lack of progress. Our track is not at the football field. I hope the same thing doesn't happen to us. We have been waiting years to get a new track so that we can have meets here. Man that does stink!!!

crzyjournalist03
04-01-2004, 05:34 PM
just wondering...what defines a track as "being able to host meets"? I mean, theoretically, isn't a track a track? If everybody is competing on it, regardless of the surface, it would seem like it shouldn't make a difference since nobody would be getting a definitive advantage...seems like football fields to me...some are nice, others aren't, but that doesn't mean you can't play on them.

Old Tiger
04-01-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by CHS_Grad '85
Man that does stink... hope a resolution is found quickly so your kids don't have to travel so much... and yes snaps to Stanton for sharing... Isn't Caldwell's track in poor condition also?

3afan2K3
04-01-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
just wondering...what defines a track as "being able to host meets"? I mean, theoretically, isn't a track a track? If everybody is competing on it, regardless of the surface, it would seem like it shouldn't make a difference since nobody would be getting a definitive advantage...seems like football fields to me...some are nice, others aren't, but that doesn't mean you can't play on them.
Track is used for running, not just cheerleaders. Stepping in holes while sprinting can probably do some damage to your leg/foot/knee.

kaorder1999
04-01-2004, 09:04 PM

must of never ran track....slight blemishes in a track can ruin someones athletic career forever....it did mine....

Ranger Mom
04-01-2004, 09:13 PM
Our track was losing the asphalt and was so thin in some places it was down to bare concrete.....also, our high jump and pole vault pits didn't meet with UIL regulations!

It doesn't matter how bad a track is or isn't...if it doesn't fall under the UIL guidelines, it's virtually useless for any thing sanctioned by the UIL!

Greenwood Teach
04-01-2004, 09:21 PM
I can't help but wonder if there isn't something else that can be done. It's not right that they even started this job. Surely they knew what kind of postion they were in. (and now we have to wait on them) If anyone knows the layout of GISD, they know that this affects the entire district, K-12.

crzyjournalist03
04-01-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
must of never ran track....slight blemishes in a track can ruin someones athletic career forever....it did mine....

actually, I did run track in HS...but I guess I never saw any tracks that had actual holes in them. I thought the problem was stemming from the tracks being old or on an obsolete surface or something like that.

kaorder1999
04-01-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Our track was losing the asphalt and was so thin in some places it was down to bare concrete.....also, our high jump and pole vault pits didn't meet with UIL regulations!

It doesn't matter how bad a track is or isn't...if it doesn't fall under the UIL guidelines, it's virtually useless for any thing sanctioned by the UIL!

rangermom is right...tracks have to meet UIL regulations....

CHS_Grad '85
04-02-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Isn't Caldwell's track in poor condition also? Yes... it's really bad... should have been renovated 2 years ago... this is the first year we are not hosting a meet (high school or middle school)... I thick the AD is looking at renovating the whole stadium but don't quote me on that...

CatWoman
04-02-2004, 09:54 AM

Ballinger's track was buckelling, so it was wavy. Very dangerous. Supposedly it wasn't installed properly from the get go. It was re-done, but still wasn't smooth.

AggieJohn
04-02-2004, 10:45 AM

no in trackthere is a definate difference

poor track conditions can lead to serious injuries. The better the track is, the better times are for the meet, and the safer the student athlete is, plus i don't want to go run at a track that's old red dirt, i want to run on asphalt with lines

JasperDog94
04-02-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

My sister-in-law works for Hunstman who has something to do with the Co. that has gone bankrupt - she said no one can even find anyone else around these parts to finish the jobs.

Hey Ranger Mom,

Maybe some of those 3 million "job loss" people could move out there and start a company?:thinking:

Ranger Mom
04-02-2004, 12:36 PM
That is a great idea!!!!:clap: :clap:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-02-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999

What exactly happened?