PDA

View Full Version : Baylor Women's Bball

sahen
03-29-2004, 02:17 AM
I figured it'd be ok to post this since UT fans posted about the Lady Horns and it is football offseason and all......

I dunno who all saw the game against Tennessee, but that call at the end was the absolute biggest bunch of [expletive delted] I have ever seen....I'm not one to whine about calls either, honestly the worst call I have ever seen...If you saw the game what did you think??...I dunno if the Lady Bears wouldve won it, but there shouldve been an OT....No reason for the game to end on a call like that!

On another note...This Lady Bear team only graduated 2 seniors (1 starter)...I'd say the Big 12 and the nation better watch out for them next year...They have something to be really pissed about all season and they took what could be the eventual National Champs to the brink...I believe this buncha girls will be back and going far in the NCAA Tourney next year...Look out for the Lady Bears in 2005! Sic'em Bears!

AggieJohn
03-29-2004, 02:21 AM
think about how stinking good the boys would of been this year...

sahen
03-29-2004, 02:44 AM
we dont wanna think about that....plsu we still would have had bliss as our coach and i'd rather have the guy we have now..teh boys r gonna get better fast (#15 recruiting class this year w/ all that stuff that happened this summer is amazing).....we try to focus on teh positive and everyone here was focusing on the girls bball...its a shame it ended that way

sahen
03-29-2004, 02:45 AM
sry...double post

Phil C
03-29-2004, 10:01 AM
What happened Sahen? I missed the game. It is bad that a bad call or non-call can decide games like that especially in the last minute. Also. everyone here is welcome to post about their teams. Baylor and Texas should both have good teams since they are only graduating one starter each. It should be interesting.

Z motion 10 out on 2
03-29-2004, 10:15 AM
Watched it live and I agree it was a terrible call.

lobo12
03-29-2004, 12:10 PM
i dont know whether it was a foul or not, but the paper said that they reviewed the call with replay. they probably thought that there was a foul committed. but i do agree with everybody if it was such a close call like that they shouldnt have let it decide a big game like that

JasperDog94
03-29-2004, 12:27 PM
I didn't see the game so I don't know exactly what happened, but I will say this: Sometimes the veteran teams get the benefit of the calls.

sahen
03-29-2004, 02:12 PM
yah....veteran teams get teh calls.....but this one was very questionable....
for those of yall taht dont know what happened, the game was tied w/ 30 seconds left at 69...Baylor had the ball and went down the court and was trying to run the clock out and take a final shot....our guard passed the ball and it got stolen w/ 6 seconds left but no one had possession of the ball....in a scramble for the ball the clock ran out of time....well most games....actually every basketball game i have seen til this one wouldve went into overtime at that point.....but the officals decided to review the play on the TV and said a foul was commited w/....get this....0.2 seconds left (thats 2 tenths of a second bout how long it takes to blink..)...of course being at the end of the game Tennessee was in the bonus and got to shoot 2 freebies to get them into the elite 8.....now i dont know what wouldve happened in Overtime but it shouldve went there to decide the game....but oh well...I know the Lady Bears gained alotta respect from this game, taking Tennessee to the brink in the sweet 16 and all....Arguably our best player (Steffanie Blackmon) has been on the bench all of the NCAA tourney after hurting her Knee in the Big 12 tourney...who knows where we would be w/ her, but for this game I just wish we couldve seen an overtime...

JasperDog94
03-29-2004, 02:17 PM
I'm glad I didn't watch that game. I would have been really ticked off. Sounds like a bogus call to me.:(

sahen
03-29-2004, 02:26 PM
yah....that was the sentiment at Baylor while we were watching it.....but like i said before....oh well we will be back next year and will be a force to reckon w/ :)

Z motion 10 out on 2
03-29-2004, 02:48 PM
I didn't see a foul at all. Two girls going up for a rebound. Teh Baylor girl had her hands on the ball!

sahen
03-29-2004, 04:05 PM
for anyone that is interested on here to see the play (or The Call as we r now refering to it at Baylor as)....which would be a lot better than my explanation in words.....go to.... and then look under the picture....click on the link that says motion and then when the motion player comes up then click on the link that says "UT, Stanford win in NCAA thrillers"....the first highlights they show is the baylor game.....you can decide for yourself whether it was a foul or not.....i think most will agree it wasnt a foul and shouldve went to OT

3afan
03-29-2004, 05:32 PM
i thought they would stop the clock when the official blew his whistle or raised his arm to stop the clock, not the exact tenth of a second the 'foul' occurred ... but do you even make that call in the final 2 seconds unless its really flagarent?

sahen
03-29-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
i thought they would stop the clock when the official blew his whistle or raised his arm to stop the clock, not the exact tenth of a second the 'foul' occurred ... but do you even make that call in the final 2 seconds unless its really flagarent?
most peopel wouldnt make a call like that in the last minute....well from what i saw it wasnt even a foul and wouldnt have been called at all....but still most people wouldnt make that call w/n the last minute...

lobo12
03-29-2004, 11:15 PM
i forgot. look who they were playing. they were sure to give them a definate advantage. it souldnt have been in that situation. i was going for baylor i myself pull for the underdogs

Phil C
03-30-2004, 09:38 AM
I saw what you mean Sahen and I even reviewed it in slow motion. From what I saw it was a no call. In fact a foul could have been called the other way too but it should have been a no call. Maybe Tennessee would have won it in overtime but the fact is Baylor was denied it's chance which is a great injustice to those ladies that worked so hard in both the classes and on the court for this chance and to be denied on a call like that. (Remember too I am a Texas Lady Longhorn fan saying this). It was not just a bad call it was an inexcusible terrribe horrible call. Calls may even out during the long run of a game but it is critical in close games that the refs be extra careful especially in the last minute of play. I know the game is fast paced and I would just call it a bad call if it was called and instanct replay was not available but those refs still made that call after looking it over on the replay which changes it from a bad call but honest mistake into one of the most terrible calls in the history of women's basketball. And the NCAA didn't even hold the refs accountable. They should have had them justify the call. Maybe they reviewed it at different angles or something. I wouldn't be surprised if they just had it in their mind that it was a foul but did it occur before time expired and that is what they reviewed instead of also reviewing to see if a foul was called. Everyone seems to be in agreement with me on this in the news media. The worse thing is that the ref is a big 12 official. I sure hope he doesn't ever officiate a Texas game and I know Baylor doesn't want him. I hope the NCAA sends him up north and he is never heard of down here again. It is a shame for the Baylor seniors to have not had this chance at overtime. You have my sympathy on this Sahen.

Phil C
03-30-2004, 09:42 AM
Another bad thing about this besides being bad for women's college basketball is that I have had enough problems trying to convince Sinton 66, PPHS fan, and others how wonderful women's sports are especially women's soccer and now things like this happen which sets the cause back even farther.

sahen
03-30-2004, 03:20 PM
yah...i like the girl's sports as much as the guys....sometiems it is like watching different games but thats what makes it interesting....i guess some poeple just dont like the girls brand of athletics...i dunno?...anyways that said....im over The Call and im ready for next year now! we r gonna be great! Baylor and UT (the Texas UT and hopefully we get some more shots to knock Tennessee outa the NCAA tourney in the future) is gonna have some great battles in the upcoming years at Women's Bball and it should be exciting to watch (much like this years games)