03-27-2004, 07:26 PM
Thanks

Old Tiger
03-27-2004, 07:33 PM
Tell him basketball is stupid.

44INAROW
03-27-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
I need your help. My son is a soph. at SHS. He was on the varsity football team this year and is projected to be a defensive starter next season. He is 6'6" tall and 250lbs. He has decided to leave the football program and concentrate on basketball. He is okay at basketball but will never play college ball. Coach Mitchell thinks he has a good chance at a football scholarship. Coach has given him a week to think about it. If he doen't go through the football offseason program he can not play in the Fall even if he changes his mind. Here's where you can help !

Many thanks,
Buccaneer

I am probably going to get slammed for saying this, but who's to say he won't excel in basketball? I know YOU want him to play football but how can the coach or anyone for that matter predict what will happen in the next 2 football seasons. We have the same thing happening at our house right now, son plays football, basketball, baseball, golf and track. His passion is baseball and golf but he feels if he does not play football he might be "looked at differently" It is hard to know the right things to do or say, but one piece of advice I would offer is to support your son in whatever he chooses to do.

jason
03-27-2004, 10:57 PM
i know you prolly dont wanna hear this, but I did the same thing as him. I played football in jr high and my freshman year and then called it quits to play basketball and golf, and I dont regret a second of it. You need to let him do what he wants and if its not what you want then learn to deal with it. BUT, if he is that good, im sure the coach would welcome him back again in the fall, if he were to change his mind...a good coach will ALWAYS use his best available players...

...and shame on you for posting his personal telephong number...:doh:

3afan
03-27-2004, 10:58 PM
i dont think getting random calls from strangers will convince anyone to do anything ... and to give a personal phone number on this board? to call your kid? shame shame. you should support your child in whatever decision he/she makes, even if it derails YOUR dreams.

Gobbla2001
03-28-2004, 01:18 PM
Actually I'd let him make his own decision on this one, BUT, if he enjoys playing football yet wants to play bball more, encourage him to do both... BUT, if he really doesn't enjoy playing football then that should be the end of it, make sure he knows the importance of going through the fuseball offseason...

He sounds like a very good football player, so I say he shouldn't play because we're playing you guys again this year :)

Phil C
03-29-2004, 09:58 AM
Obviously he has edited his message to get the phone number off of there. 44 you need to edit your message and get that phone number off of there too.

44INAROW
03-29-2004, 01:40 PM
It's done :cool:

sinfan75
03-29-2004, 02:42 PM
If he wants to concentrate solely on basketball then I say go forit. Who knows by his senior year and if he's got a good coach that can work with him on improvin his skills he could help bring another state title in bball to Sinton. Course though it is kinda sad to see a kid that size leave the football program.

ALLSPORTSGUY
03-29-2004, 02:43 PM
My son was also on the varsity f-ball team his sophmore year. He was definetly a talented f-ball player, but after his junior year he decided not to play because he said it wasn't fun anymore. At our school we have a certain coach that calls the boys that quit f-ball, names and belittles them in front of peers. Well my son just so happen to be a pretty darn good shot and discus thrower as well and this coach was his track coach. Just before his school track meet this year his coach tells him he can not throw because he put highlights in his hair. Their are others that have hair color that are allowed to participate. My son probably would have broken the school record as well as qualified for the state meet. I firmly believe it was because he chose not to participate in f-ball his senior year. We are in the mist of a battle right now. Some coaches are very vendictive over athletes not playing the sport they want them to I have found out first hand.

Phil C
03-29-2004, 03:22 PM
Thank you 44.