PDA

View Full Version : Ron Howard's (Opie) move The Alamo

PhiI C
03-27-2004, 03:38 PM
is coming out next month with the world premier in San Antonio. The paper said one of the expected invited guests who will get the yellow - carpet treatment as in the Yellow Rose of Texas at the Majestic Theatre {say maybe that is the right color for them anyway :)} will be the Dixie Chicks. Now that is something Texas can be ashamed of. For me that means I will watch it but wait patiently until it comes out on DVD and rent it. I want to see the movie but I am going to support it in the cheapest way due to that insult.

Ray_BearKat
03-27-2004, 04:30 PM
...so because they are getting the yellow carpet treatment your not gonna watch the movie at a theatre? Why should I be ashamed, just because of what Natalie said? I ain't ashamed of that, I've heard worse in my life. The Dixie Chicks never hurt me so I am definitely not going to hold what they said against them.

PhiI C
03-27-2004, 08:13 PM
Ray. Holy Chiwawa! :)

District303aPastPlayer
03-27-2004, 10:55 PM
Holy Chihuahua

Dulce04
03-29-2004, 10:55 PM
Yeah, my dad was a honeywagon driver on the set of that movie and so he got tickets to the premire. It's pretty cool.

sinton66
03-30-2004, 01:07 AM
Can't be as good as the original, doesn't have the Duke in it.(Of course, I'm an old fuddy-duddy, so my opinion doesn't count for much):D

Wildcat81
03-30-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
Can't be as good as the original, doesn't have the Duke in it.(Of course, I'm an old fuddy-duddy, so my opinion doesn't count for much):D
You'er not a fuddy duddy. The Duke was the best.

BrahmaMom
03-30-2004, 09:19 AM
Yep, guys, the Duke was great. But I always liked ol' Opie, too, so the jury's still out!

JasperDog94
03-30-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Ray_BearKat
...so because they are getting the yellow carpet treatment your not gonna watch the movie at a theatre? Why should I be ashamed, just because of what Natalie said? I ain't ashamed of that, I've heard worse in my life. The Dixie Chicks never hurt me so I am definitely not going to hold what they said against them.
yeah, but what a chicken way of doing it. And she never apologized for saying it. Our country is at war and you go overseas and bad mouth him? What a real piece of work. I am truely embarrassed for the state of Texas. Remember when they complained that radio stations didn't want to play their songs? HAHAHAHA...now that was funny. Serves em' right.:D :clap: :devil:

Phil C
03-30-2004, 11:04 AM
If they had tried to go to the Duke's World Premier of the Alamo they probably would have got the boot instead of the yellow carpet treatment.

olddog73
03-30-2004, 11:35 AM
I understood that Ron Howard had to bow out of the project before it started. Something about a scheduling conflict or something. Im reading the book by Frank Thompson which is based on the screenplay of the movie right now, hope to finish it before I see the movie. I think its going to be great, but this will probably be one to see on the big screen in order to get the full effect.

JasperDog94
03-30-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by olddog73
this will probably be one to see on the big screen in order to get the full effect.
Like the IMAX!!!:eek: :eek:

slpybear the bullfan
03-30-2004, 01:11 PM
The Duke paid for "The Alamo" out of his own pocket. He was that taken with the story.

Ray_BearKat
03-30-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
yeah, but what a chicken way of doing it. And she never apologized for saying it. Our country is at war and you go overseas and bad mouth him? What a real piece of work. I am truely embarrassed for the state of Texas. Remember when they complained that radio stations didn't want to play their songs? HAHAHAHA...now that was funny. Serves em' right.:D :clap: :devil:

She did apologize for it...if I remember correctly she and the rest of the Chicks came out on Diane Saywer and were balling crying about how people were treating them for what she said.

The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.
--Mahatma Gandhi

vet93
03-30-2004, 02:51 PM
Ray...there is a difference for being sorry for what you have stated and being sorry for the consequences of what you said. I think that she was genuinely sorry for the consequences of her actions because it affected her bottom line $$ (and the other chics). But...at no time did I feel that she was sorry for what she actually said.

She did apologize for it...if I remember correctly she and the rest of the Chicks came out on Diane Saywer and were balling crying about how people were treating them for what she said.

--Mahatma Gandhi

slpybear the bullfan
03-30-2004, 07:57 PM

--Mahatma Gandhi

I watched this interview. Natalie cried about how she was hurt by the reaction from people over her comments.

I am sure after watching that show that she hasn't come around to empathy with those of us who felt incredibly embarassed by her opinions.

But, as I have said many times... those that look to Hollywood and Entertainers for their Social Barometers will be in for a wild ride...

therealbulldogs
03-30-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
It doesn't have Rudy Robbins in it either!

JasperDog94
03-31-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by vet93
Ray...there is a difference for being sorry for what you have stated and being sorry for the consequences of what you said. I think that she was genuinely sorry for the consequences of her actions because it affected her bottom line $$ (and the other chics). But...at no time did I feel that she was sorry for what she actually said.
She apologized numerous times....that it got back to the USA and that people were offended. She never retracted her statement.

slpybear the bullfan
03-31-2004, 01:21 PM
I know it is an old topic, buy IMHO...

...I am fine with her not retracting her statement. I just am cracked up to see how upset she was that people didn't like her statement and it had bad consequences...

Hmmm... Actions.... Ramifications... Novelty, :)

JasperDog94
03-31-2004, 02:31 PM
Unfortunately this generation doesn't think that they should have to suffer the consequences of their actions...OJ, Clinton, etc...

Bandera YaYa
03-31-2004, 04:57 PM
Well, I thought we had already beat this old thing to pieces.....but here I'll tell you what I think. Because you are an American, you can say exactly what you think. Peroid. Just like Bush had every right to say that you didn't have to buy their CD's. That is what our flag stands for. And what mattered the most to me is that they said they were totally behind the troops. So they don't like Bush....they can vote for Kerry. It is their right. Those boys and girls over there fighting for freedom give them this right, the same for you and me. I don't think what she said was the best way she could have expressed her views, but she did and she does have that right. If you don't believe this , then our troops are getting shot at for nothing. Think about it. All I care about is our troops, and standing behind them, praying for them. Look at the pictures of what the Iraqs did to some of our own today....burned 9 and the drug them thru the streets and hung them over a bridge. Let's direct our outrage and anger towards what's really important here. The Dixie Chicks are old news.

Bandera YaYa
03-31-2004, 05:00 PM
Unfortunately this generation doesn't think that they should have to suffer the consequences of their actions...OJ, Clinton, etc... That kinda smarts!!LOL!!

pirate4state
03-31-2004, 05:50 PM
Unfortunately this generation doesn't think that they should have to suffer the consequences of their actions...OJ, Clinton, etc... And who should we blame? :confused: