PDA

View Full Version : Diamond scores down in 21-3A tonight

Old Cardinal
03-23-2004, 10:12 PM
Well the weather was just beautiful tonight. Here are some scores: Bridge City(JV) Boys 21 Hardin 0; Bridge City(Varsity) Boys 11 Hardin 1....Girls: Bridge City(JV) 14 Buna 0; Bridge City(V) 16 Buna 1(three innings).....Thus far in District play in softball cumulative points-- BC 73 Opponents 2 after 6 games.

Tonight Hamshire-Fannett finally overcame a persistant Hardin girls team 4-1

A highlight of the evening, at BC, was a grand slam by Meagan Godwin in the first inning. She did not get a lot of the ball, it was just a soaring high popup that did make it over the fence. This BC team gets few singles, all the girls are capable of hitting doubles and triples on a fairly regular basis.

sahen
03-24-2004, 01:14 AM
dang old cardinal.....i believe u got ur scores mixed up w/ some football scores from last season....those rnt much of a baseball or softball game....

Old Cardinal
03-24-2004, 12:56 PM
Sahen, This is not that unusual down here the BC boys are 15-3-3 so far, and have only lost to LCM, Jasper, and PN-G....big wins are the norm. Looks like they will win the District again for the 4th or 5th year.
The girls are 6-0 in District play and even once beat Denham Springs, LA(5A) 1-0 at the Sulphur, LA Tournament. Denham Springs, LA was rated #5 on one National HS Poll at the time. The LA team was quite good but had never faced good slap-bunting and slap-base hitting and fell victim to a good little 3A Texas team...I would hazard that Denham Springs would win 8 out of 10 games against BC; but that was not the case that day. They did not know that Lemoine, Sartin and Godwin's best swing is on a little low and slightlly outside pitch; whereby, they can get the "full Mike Epstein rotation and completion", that drives the ball "up" and so much further!

RBARKER
03-24-2004, 03:11 PM
Sounds like BC girls and Boys are playing well congrats. BH beat Splendora 18 to 8 last night in 5 after a dispointing lose to Cleveland the week before 10 to 9. The Girls won 15 to 3 in 5 against Coldsprings last night also. The BH girls have a fine team and should do well into the playoffs. The Boys looked good last night and the guys that came in from Basketball are starting to swing the bat better they should be alot better come playoff time. Goodluck to BC you got a great program going on over there. Is this new for BC or were yall just as compettive in 4A?

ej2525
03-24-2004, 03:49 PM
We were always competitive in 4A baseball. Also had numerous playoff appearances over the years. In 1992 we played for the 4A State Championship but lost to Robstown in the Finals. I don't have any numbers off the top of my head. But, we had several district titles or playoff appearances when they only took the top 2 teams in each district.

Old Cardinal
03-24-2004, 03:57 PM
Good to here from you RBarker, diamond sports have always been pretty good in even 4A. We went to the finals and lost to Robstown in 1992 and always were above par in 4A.... Girls the same way. We are like BH on the girls program, in that we are fueled by select team players from the Beaumont Blast and Thunder programs....Without those year round players stacked on your team it's hard to win in the playoffs! I worry about beating BH, they are so inconsistant yet extremely talented. If BC has a bad day at the plate they could well get beat in the first postseason game. That is based on an assumption that Splendora wins your District and BH is the runnerup facing BC in the bracketing....In a way I feel sorry for those schools that are in economically dis-advantaged areas and the youth have no access to being chosen or financed to play year round travel select team ball. I was talking to an excellent 9th grade varsity catcher from Hardin who plays on a good select team out of Kingwood. She related that no one else on the Hardin girls team plays select team ball. Well they have some great potential athletes and with a year of 80+ select team ballgame for 4 or 5 others on her team, they would win 2A when they drop down next season. Diamond sports development is changing rapidily as youth are specializing year round in the slightly higher income-per-capita areas of the state, where parents can afford the expense of having children playing on select traveling teams.

Phil C
03-24-2004, 03:58 PM
Holy Chiwawa!

RBARKER
03-24-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
Good to here from you RBarker, diamond sports have always been pretty good in even 4A. We went to the finals and lost to Robstown in 1992 and always were above par in 4A.... Girls the same way. We are like BH on the girls program, in that we are fueled by select team players from the Beaumont Blast and Thunder programs....Without those year round players stacked on your team it's hard to win in the playoffs! I worry about beating BH, they are so inconsistant yet extremely talented. If BC has a bad day at the plate they could well get beat in the first postseason game. That is based on an assumption that Splendora wins your District and BH is the runnerup facing BC in the bracketing....In a way I feel sorry for those schools that are in economically dis-advantaged areas and the youth have no access to being chosen or financed to play year round travel select team ball. I was talking to an excellent 9th grade varsity catcher from Hardin who plays on a good select team out of Kingwood. She related that no one else on the Hardin girls team plays select team ball. Well they have some great potential athletes and with a year of 80+ select team ballgame for 4 or 5 others on her team, they would win 2A when they drop down next season. Diamond sports development is changing rapidily as youth are specializing year round in the slightly higher income-per-capita areas of the state, where parents can afford the expense of having children playing on select traveling teams.

Thanks for the info. I as well hope BH doesn't have to play the number 1 team in the state the first round. It will be tough for BH to knock off Splendora for district but they do have a chance. BH has only had a softball program for about 5 years now and it is getting better and better the boys have stepped it up the last couple of years to which I'm sure is because of the extreme growth that is going on out here right now. I would say they only have 2 more years before moving up to 4A. Well good luck to BC and I'm sure we will meet in the playoffs boys and girls.