View Full Version : Astros

Wildcat81
03-23-2004, 02:08 PM
Top 4th R
Atlanta 0
Houston 2

JasperDog94
03-23-2004, 03:18 PM
The Astros have looked pretty good so far this year.

kaorder1999
03-23-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat81
Top 4th R
Atlanta 0
Houston 2

you used that as your 1000th post? BOOOO....hehe...just kidding ...congrats on 1000

JasperDog94
03-23-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
you used that as your 1000th post? BOOOO....hehe...just kidding ...congrats on 1000
That was a great way to spend it if you ask me...but then again, nobody asked me so nevermind.

Congrats Wildcat!:) :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

sahen
03-23-2004, 03:55 PM
Final
Houston 12
Atlanta 3
Go 'stros!........ahh i guess it is just a preseason game...hopefully they will keep scores like that going in the regular season.

JasperDog94
03-23-2004, 04:23 PM
Atlanta is nowhere near the team they used to be. I'll make a prediction:
Atlanta will finish 3rd in their division this year.

sahen
03-23-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Atlanta is nowhere near the team they used to be. I'll make a prediction:
Atlanta will finish 3rd in their division this year.
true....but we still won 12-3....i just meant i'd like to see W's all year...

kaorder1999
03-24-2004, 12:21 AM
i wonder if my rangers are going to get any wins this year

sahen
03-24-2004, 01:02 AM
i predict they get 5-10 games better.....i mean come on....they cant do much worse?...right?...ahh who konws w/ the rangers...one day they will be good.....but probably not w/n the next 5-20 years....

JasperDog94
03-24-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by sahen
i predict they get 5-10 games better.....i mean come on....they cant do much worse?...right?...
They could follow in the footsteps of the Detroit Tigers. That would be worse.

Old Tiger
03-24-2004, 02:20 PM
Hopefully the can make playoff's and get past the 1st round

sahen
03-25-2004, 12:40 AM
astros lost 1-4 today to the mets....::sigh:: glad its just spring training.....

Wildcat81
03-25-2004, 01:55 PM
Miller pitched good except for HR in the 4th. Still needs tobe more
hitting.:D

sahen
03-26-2004, 02:12 AM
Astros won tonight 7-2 against the Dodgers.....anyways what is this new 3rd baseman we got?...The Astros picked up Mike Lamb from the Yankees to play 3b...I thought we were gonna start Ensberg at 3rd?...I mean the guy did awesome in the few games that Williams played him in last year I'm beginning to wonder if Jimmy has something against the guy...Last year he only played him against left handed pitchers because Blum played against the righties...atleast that was an excuse...hopefully he is just looking for more depth because Ensberg looks very promising...anyone got some insight on this?

sahen
03-26-2004, 03:07 AM
Another thing. I just saw on ESPN.com that the Astros' game will be televised today (3/26)...If you have ESPN2 and happen to be around a TV at 12:05 that is when the first pitch is. Astros vs. Expos...Finally, we get to see them in action this year, well after my class is threw I will. :)

Wildcat81
03-26-2004, 02:40 PM
Who is pitching today.

sahen
03-26-2004, 03:01 PM
Oswalt started..its 2-1 in the 8th right now....no hitting so far for the Astros...well no timely hitting....

AggieJohn
03-26-2004, 03:02 PM
who's winning?

sahen
03-26-2004, 03:04 PM
oh sry.....whoops to used to AOL there i sent it before i finished my statement....the Expos r winning....its on ESPN 2 if u wanna watch

sahen
03-26-2004, 03:30 PM
Final:
Astros - 1
Expos - 2
as i said before...im glad its just a spring training game...though we had most of our normal guys out there....

Wildcat81
03-26-2004, 06:19 PM
Final:
Astros - 1
Expos - 2
as i said before...im glad its just a spring training game...though we had most of our normal guys out there....

Me to :D

sahen
03-27-2004, 05:44 PM
Final today
Astros - 5
Blue Jays - 3
:) Another W for the 'stros....makes them 10-9 in spring training and they are in 9th outa 18 teams in the Grapefruit league...im not sure how good or bad that is....but oh well...thats where they are

Wildcat81
03-27-2004, 06:06 PM
Final today
Astros - 5
Blue Jays - 3
:) Another W for the 'stros....makes them 10-9 in spring training and they are in 9th outa 18 teams in the Grapefruit league...im not sure how good or bad that is....but oh well...thats where they are

At least thier are not last.willaims is looking at player who normally wouldn't start.

sahen
03-28-2004, 07:50 PM
Final Today
Astros - 5
Braves - 6
::Sigh::

JasperDog94
03-29-2004, 11:32 AM
Relax guys. This is just the "pre-season". Nobody gets excited about the pre-season, grapefruit leage, whatever you want to call it. We're still shifting guys around and evaluating. You won't have someone starting that commits 3 errors in one game. We're gonna be just fine.

sahen
03-29-2004, 02:23 PM
Yah i know JasperDog94....but im just bored so I have been keeping up w/ preseason and i like to win them all....even though i have said plenty of times I'm glad its just preseason cause i know it never counts...There has been plenty of years that we finished first in teh grapefruit league and havent even made it to the playoffs...I just like to keep up w/ the 'stros and see what their doing....Anyways...I dont put any stock into preseason other than it is something to do while im waiting on baseball season to actually start and there is no basketball being played...

The game tonight isnt til later so I dont have a final to post right now but here is an article by Gammons about the Astros and Cubs this season....I think it'll be an interesting battle throughout the year, but I like the fact that in the article the Astros players never forget about the Cards....
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1770287

crzyjournalist03
03-29-2004, 03:41 PM
there was an article in the DMN this past weekend in which the writer made a statement that the Cubs have the best pitching staff in the majors, not the Astros...I figure that would get a few of you 'stros fans going :D

sahen
03-29-2004, 03:59 PM
yah...i dont put much stock into the DMN sports section unless if i wanna a feel good longhorn, maverick, or cowboy story....:) but thanks for the info! just more fuel for the fire against them

JasperDog94
03-29-2004, 05:13 PM
I think they're every bit as good, but I wouldn't say better right now. We'll see when the season rolls around.

Bellville22
03-29-2004, 06:00 PM
I also think the Cubs have the best pitching staff.

Of course that could change if Prior can't shake this achillies problem, but with a healthy Prior, I definately thing the Cubbies have the better staff.

Go Stros.

sahen
03-29-2004, 10:45 PM
Final Tonight
Astros - 2
Indians - 1
Miller pitched 6 strong innings today....That is always a good sign :)

Wildcat81
03-30-2004, 08:48 AM
He might be returning to form. lets hope so.:D

Wildcat81
03-30-2004, 09:15 AM
03/29/2004 4:37 PM ET
Astros option Robertson, Saarloos
Hiatt, Thompson also reassigned to minor league camp

Tickets Scoreboard Fantasy

HOUSTON -- The Houston Astros announced today the club has optioned left-handed pitcher Jeriome Robertson and right-handed pitcher Kirk Saarloos to Triple A New Orleans. The Astros also reassigned infielder Phil Hiatt and outfielder Ryan Thompson to minor league camp. The announcement was made by general manager Gerry Hunsicker.
The Astros now have 28 players in Major League camp (*-non-roster invitee):

Pitchers (13): Brandon Backe (R), Roger Clemens (R), Octavio Dotel (R), Brandon Duckworth (R), *Jared Fernandez (R), Mike Gallo (L), Brad Lidge (R), Dan Miceli (R), Wade Miller (R), Roy Oswalt (R), Andy Pettitte (L), Tim Redding (R), Ricky Stone (R).

Catchers (2): Brad Ausmus, Raul Chavez.

Infielders (7): Jeff Bagwell, Eric Bruntlett, Morgan Ensberg, Adam Everett, Jeff Kent, Mike Lamb, Jose Vizcaino.

Outfielders (6): Lance Berkman, Craig Biggio, Richard Hidalgo, Jason Lane, Orlando Palmeiro, Willy Taveras.

Upcoming pitchers for Houston include RHP Wade Miller tonight in Kissimmee against Cleveland LHP Jason Stanford, RHP Tim Redding tomorrow in Lakeland against Detroit RHP Esteban Yan, RHP Roy Oswalt Wednesday against Indians LHP C.C. Sabathia, and LHP Andy Pettitte Thursday at Disney against Braves RHP Russ Ortiz. The club returns to Minute Maid Park on Friday for two exhibition games with the Kansas City Royals on Friday, Apr. 2 at 7:05 p.m. and Saturday, Apr. 3 at 1:05 p.m.

RHP Roger Clemens will pitch Friday in a minor league game in Kissimmee. Starting pitchers for the two exhibition games between the Astros and Royals on Friday and Saturday are to be announced.

JasperDog94
03-30-2004, 10:42 AM
If you take the Astro's starting pitchers (Clemens, Pettite, Oswalt, Miller, and Redding) and they perform at a high level, there's no way the Cubs have a better rotation. Miller was great 2 years ago, but struggled last year. Same with Oswalt. And then you have Pettite and Clemens. Enough said about those two. Redding has looked pretty darn good in the grapefruit league. No way do the Cubs have a "better" rotation.

Now the bullpen is a seperate story. But for my money, I'll take the Astros starting lineup any day.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Bellville22
03-30-2004, 02:53 PM
Clemens is old. He won't be the pitcher he was 6 years ago. He's very good, yes, but there are 3 pitchers on the Cubs staff (Prior, Wood, Zambrano) who are better. Pettitte posted a mid-4 ERA in a very large park. This is a tiny park, and will he get the run support here like he did in NY?

Oswalt is great, when healthy, no denying that. One of the Top 5 NL Starters when healthy. Miller has shown that he can be dominant in the past. He could return to form this year with little pressure on him. As good as they are, they're not as good as Prior and Wood.

Redding has looked great in the Spring. Let's see what he's got this season.

Maddux is Maddux. He's old, just like the Rocket, and still solid, just like the Rocket. He's not great, but experienced, solid, and a leader, just like the Rocket.

Matt Clement would be a #3 starter on most MLB teams.

Give me the young, up and coming Cubs staff any day. They have 3 young guns (Prior, Wood, Zam) who are as good or can be as good or better than any of Stro's pitchers.

I know it sounds like I'm an Astro-basher, but I'm really not. I want the Stros to do great. Read any of my past football posts, and you'll know that I remain pretty neutral when posting, and try to give an unbiased view. My unbiased view, much like Peter Gammons, would rather have the Cubbies staff.

JasperDog94
03-30-2004, 02:59 PM
Is anyone going to opening day? I know I'll be there with my 280 church friends.

sahen
03-30-2004, 03:32 PM
i figured since this is an Astros thread we would like to know that the Evil Empire lost their first game of the season in Tokyo today :)...Alex Rodriguez was quoted as saying, "Hopefully, it's 5 a.m. and not many people were watching." Good stuff if your a yankee-hater like me.
Final (Tokyo, this one acutally counts as a real game)
Yanks - 3
DRays - 8
WP - V Zambrano (3 ER, 6 H, 1 BB, 6 K, 6 IP, 1 HR)
LP - M Mussina (5 ER, 10 H, 2 BB, 2 K, 5 IP, 1 HR)
Mussina got roughed up a bit for his first game this year. Astros play another spring training game later today...I'll post that later, but I figured since this is the first real game people might be interested.

JasperDog94
03-30-2004, 03:35 PM
Down with the Empire. May the force be with you.

Bellville22
03-30-2004, 05:34 PM
New York Yankees '04: 0 Wins 162 Losses :devil:

sahen
03-30-2004, 11:37 PM
Final tonight:
Astros - 4
Tigers - 9
not good pitching tonight for the Astros...but their team is already decided where as the Tigers has almost all their positions still up for grabs...here is the 'Stros pitching line for tonight

HOUSTON IP H R ER BB SO HR
T Redding 2 4 3 3 1 0 2
J Fernandez 3 2 1 1 0 0 0
M Gallo 1-3 1 0 0 0 1 0
B Duckworth 1 2-3 2 0 0 2 0 0
D Miceli (L,0-1) 1 5 5 5 1 0 2

sahen
03-31-2004, 01:00 AM
just saw on baseball tonight that the Astros game on Thursday (4/1) will be on ESPN...They r playing the Braves at 12 o'clock...so if you have some spare time and don thave to go to work or school or wahtever u can check that out....
Another question for baseball fans...particulary Major League Baseball fans but any will work....What are your thoughts of MLB's decision to start the season in Japan this year....I mean to me that is disrespectful to the American fans who pay for these teams...I understand Japan loves baseball but this is still America's sport and as long as we r footing the bill shouldnt we get to watch the games in America....(i understand exhibition games elsewhere, but real games shouldnt happen unless if that country has a team and is paying for them)......not to mention i dont normally feel sry for Yankee fans...but them and the Dray fans wouldve had to wake up at 5 AM to watch their game!...that is just like putting the icing on the cake....i dont think this should happen...

AggieJohn
03-31-2004, 11:26 AM
i think it's stupid that last nights game counts as a real game for both the yankees and the devil rays...it's stupid to start a season in another country....

JasperDog94
03-31-2004, 01:09 PM
So much for "America's past-time"...:rolleyes:

sahen
03-31-2004, 03:28 PM
Final today:
Astros - 3
Indians - 2

crzyjournalist03
03-31-2004, 05:40 PM
just saw on baseball tonight that the Astros game on Thursday (4/1) will be on ESPN...They r playing the Braves at 12 o'clock...so if you have some spare time and don thave to go to work or school or wahtever u can check that out....
Another question for baseball fans...particulary Major League Baseball fans but any will work....What are your thoughts of MLB's decision to start the season in Japan this year....I mean to me that is disrespectful to the American fans who pay for these teams...I understand Japan loves baseball but this is still America's sport and as long as we r footing the bill shouldnt we get to watch the games in America....(i understand exhibition games elsewhere, but real games shouldnt happen unless if that country has a team and is paying for them)......not to mention i dont normally feel sry for Yankee fans...but them and the Dray fans wouldve had to wake up at 5 AM to watch their game!...that is just like putting the icing on the cake....i dont think this should happen...

Baseball has been doing this for a few years now, opening the season in other countries. I remember the Cubs played in Tokyo to open the season a couple years back. The Rangers and Blue Jays opened 2001 in Puerto Rico, and I remember San Diego playing someone in Mexico to open the season last year or the year before. It doesn't bother me that the season is opening in other countries, but the 5 a.m. starts for fans are horrible. It's because the games have been played at night in Tokyo. If they were being played during the day, fans would be able to watch the games the night before (there's an international date line problem that would mean fans were watching the game the day before it actually happened :confused: ) but it would work...I think that baseball screwed up this year, but I think they'll get it right again next year.

sahen
04-01-2004, 03:23 PM
Final Today:
Astros - 5
Braves - 6
Lidge pitched awesome....Dotel pitched awful...Dotel gave up a grand slam in the bottom of the 8th which gave Atlanta the win today.....hopefully he dont do that in the real season...his ERA in the spring before today was 1.5 something....so that is good just looks like he had a rough day

Wildcat81
04-01-2004, 03:39 PM
They shouldn't have gotten rid of Billy Wagner.:D

sahen
04-01-2004, 07:00 PM
i think they will be alright w/o billy since htey have lidge and dotel down there to close the games...wagner has even said the last 2 years that dotel deserved an allstar selection....but even if he falters i think lidge will work there....if neither of them can pitch well then we have jeriome roberson and other minor league pitchers that could be starting elsewhere to trade for a closer

crzyjournalist03
04-01-2004, 09:22 PM
i think they will be alright w/o billy since htey have lidge and dotel down there to close the games...wagner has even said the last 2 years that dotel deserved an allstar selection....but even if he falters i think lidge will work there....if neither of them can pitch well then we have jeriome roberson and other minor league pitchers that could be starting elsewhere to trade for a closer

umm...you HAD jeriome robertson...he got traded to Cleveland this morning :p

sahen
04-01-2004, 11:31 PM
what???? no kidding!....sry i hadnt looked on the astros site yet...i just saw that....im not sure about what we got for him....the 2 minor league outfielders but i havent heard of them before....im sure someone said the same thing about bagwell though when they traded larry anderson for him

sahen
04-02-2004, 01:58 AM
next matchup....Monday against San Fransico.....Opening pitch from Oswalt will be at 6:05 on ESPN2...:) i cant wait!

JasperDog94
04-02-2004, 12:08 PM
next matchup....Monday against San Fransico.....Opening pitch from Oswalt will be at 6:05 on ESPN2...:) i cant wait!
Yall look for me on tv. My little 7 month old girl will be wearing an Astros dress. Maybe they'll put her on tv?:clap:

crzyjournalist03
04-02-2004, 02:58 PM
what???? no kidding!....sry i hadnt looked on the astros site yet...i just saw that....im not sure about what we got for him....the 2 minor league outfielders but i havent heard of them before....im sure someone said the same thing about bagwell though when they traded larry anderson for him

yeah...I'm actually kind of surprised that they didn't get Milton Bradley for him...Biggio isn't the most solid of CF's, and at this stage in his career, he may be a better bench player anyway...and Cleveland said that they will trade Bradley before the start of the season...now the word is that he may be headed to the Rangers.

sahen
04-03-2004, 01:14 AM
soo....apparantly ESPN didnt list ALL of the Astros' spring training games....they played a game today...final:
Royals - 7
Astros - 3
they didnt play any starting pitchers....jared fernandez started teh game for the 'stros and allowed 5 runs....that mightve punched him a ticket down to new orleans to play AAA ball....

sahen
04-03-2004, 06:21 PM
in another spring training game today
Royals - 9
Astros - 5
Miller pitched 3 innings and gave up 6 runs....i dunno about that...its kinda close to the season to be giving up that many...but who knows? maybe he was working on something....

vfunk
04-03-2004, 06:28 PM
* the Astros!!!!

No more of that vfunk.

JasperDog94
04-03-2004, 08:34 PM
classy post there vfunk. Please enlighten us with some more of your supurb observations...:rolleyes:

Ranger Mom
04-04-2004, 12:07 AM
VFunk....that was uncalled for and needs to be edited!!

sinton66
04-04-2004, 08:52 AM
I took care of that for him, RangerMom.;)

JasperDog94
04-05-2004, 09:23 AM
Opening day is finally here!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only 8 1/2 hours til first pitch!!!!!!

GO ASTROS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sahen
04-05-2004, 09:46 AM
Opening day is finally here!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only 8 1/2 hours til first pitch!!!!!!

GO ASTROS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and i thought i was ready....lol calm down it'll get here...in the mean time we need time to go slow so i can finish all this homework and just relax and watch the game :)...

JasperDog94
04-05-2004, 11:23 AM
I'm also excited because my 7 month old daughter will be going. I'm hoping to make opening day a family tradition with her. She looks sooooo cute in her Astros dress.:D

BTW - I never thought cute would be in my dictionary, but having a little girl changed all of that.;)

JasperDog94
04-05-2004, 01:56 PM
4 HOURS...

JasperDog94
04-05-2004, 02:38 PM
Well, time to go home, change and get to the game....GO ASTROS!!!!!!!!!!

Wildcat81
04-05-2004, 05:35 PM
I'm working tonight,but I'll watch the astros on the
tube.:D :D :D

Ranger Mom
04-05-2004, 05:49 PM
I'm also excited because my 7 month old daughter will be going. I'm hoping to make opening day a family tradition with her. She looks sooooo cute in her Astros dress.:D

BTW - I never thought cute would be in my dictionary, but having a little girl changed all of that.;)

LOL!! You ain't seen NOTHING yet!!!

Wildcat81
04-05-2004, 06:10 PM
Three up and three down. ground ball to ss, ground ball to 2nd base,fly out to left field.

Wildcat81
04-05-2004, 06:25 PM
Biggio single to left
Everett Sac. bunt moves biggio to 2nd
Bagwell walk
Kent Fly out to Right
Hidalgo Hit to SS safe at first
Berkman hit to 2nd out at first

Wildcat81
04-05-2004, 06:31 PM
Bonds double to left
Alfonzo fly out to right Bonds moves to 3rd
Pierzynski foul ball fly out at 3rd
Grissom Fly out to SS

Wildcat81
04-05-2004, 06:48 PM
Ensberg Double to left
Ausmus single to Center Ensberg Scores
Oswalt Sac Bunt Out Ausmus moves to 2nd
Everett Fly out to Right 2nd out
Bagwell Walks Bases loaded
Kent out hit in front of home ball hits his foot home umpire calls kent out.

Wildcat81
04-05-2004, 06:51 PM
Top of 3rd
Perez- Hit ball back to pitcher out at first
Rueter -hit ball to SS out at first
Durham - strike out.

Wildcat81
04-05-2004, 06:59 PM
Bottom of 3rd
Hidalgo- hit ball to SS out at First

Berkman -Hit ball to SS out at first 2nd out

Ensberg Hit ball to SS 3rd out.

Wildcat81
04-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Top of 4th

Snow- strike 1 away

Tucker- Hit ball to SS out first 2nd out

Bonds- Double to left center

Alfonzo- hits slow roller to 3rd safe at first Bonds moves to 3rd

Pierzynski- short fly to center bonds scores

Grissom- flies out to center

Score Astros 1
Giants 1

Wildcat81
04-05-2004, 07:12 PM
Bottom of 4th

Ausum ground out to SS 1out

Oswalt Flies out to right

Biggio- flies out to left

Wildcat81
04-05-2004, 07:18 PM
Top of 5th

Perez - hit to 2nd out at first

Rueter- Hit ball to 2nd out at first 2 outs

Durham- Double to left

Snow- Hit ball to first 3rd out

Wildcat81
04-05-2004, 07:24 PM
Bottom of 5th

Everett- Flies out to left for 1st out

Bagwell- Flies out to right fot 2nd out

Kent- flies out to center 3rd out

Wildcat81
04-05-2004, 07:32 PM
Top of 6th

Tucker- hit single to right

Bonds- Walks, tucker to 2nd, Bonds at first

Alfonzo- Hit ball to Ensberg throws to 2nd kent to first double play
Tucker to 3rd 2 outs

Pierzynski - pops out to catcher for 3rd out.

Wildcat81
04-05-2004, 07:37 PM
Bottom of 6th

Hidalgo- Home run. Astos 2 Gaints 1

Berkman- Flies to center for 1st out

Ensberg- hit back to pitcher 2nd out

Ausmus- Flies out to center 3rd out

Wildcat81
04-05-2004, 07:44 PM
Top of 7th

Grissom - Pop fly to ss for out 1

Perez- Strikes out for 2nd

Feliz bats for Rueter- Hits back to pitcher for 3rd out

Wildcat81
04-05-2004, 08:06 PM
Bottom of 7th

Oswalt- Pops up to shallow right 1st out

Biggio- Hits ground ball single to left

Everett- line drive single to right.biggio moves to 2nd

Bagwell- infeield hit to 3rd, Biggio to 3rd out at

Kent- Sac fly to center 2nd out,Biggio scores Bagwell to 2nd

Hidalgo- Sngle to right Everett scores. Astros 4 Giants1

Berkman- Line drive out to right 3rd out

Wildcat81
04-05-2004, 08:24 PM
Top of 8th

Durham- Hit to right center base hit

Snow- Strikes out

Tucker- Hits ball to right center base hit

Bonds- Line drive 3 run HR

Lidge replaces Oswalt

Alfonzo- Strikes out 2nd out

Pierzynski- Base hit to right

Grissom- Walks

Perez- Strikes out 3rd out

Astros 4 Giants4

Wildcat81
04-05-2004, 08:34 PM
Bottom of 8th

Ensberg- Flies out to right

Ausmus- Flies out to shallow left

Vizcaino- Strikes out for 3rd out

Wildcat81
04-05-2004, 08:42 PM
Top of 9th

Dotel Pitching

Torcato batting pitchers spot- Hit by pitch

Durham- Sac bunt 1stout Torcato moves to 2nd

Snow- Sac fly to right 2nd out, Torcato scores Giants 5 Astros 4

wild pitch Torcato moves to third

Tucker- Strike out 3rd out

Wildcat81
04-05-2004, 08:50 PM
Bottom of 9th

Biggio- Batter ran into ball infield of play 1st out

Everett- short hit toward 3rd catcher throws out batter

Bagwell- Strikes out Game over Giants 5 Astos 4

sahen
04-05-2004, 08:52 PM
wow...looks like another typical astros team....choked w/ runners in scoring position and wasted a good performance by oswalt...

Wildcat81
04-05-2004, 08:53 PM
wow...looks like another typical astros team....choked w/ runners in scoring position and wasted a good performance by oswalt...
Yep

JasperDog94
04-06-2004, 09:24 AM
If you leave the bases loaded in the first 2 innings and don't score, you deserve to lose.

BTW - Why, oh why, do you pitch to a guy that's one of the greatest hitters of all time, who is already 2-2 with a walk against your starting pitcher? Hey Jimmie, ever hear of an "intentional walk"?:rolleyes:

spiveyrat
04-06-2004, 09:59 AM
That one was my fault.

Every time I am able to catch an Astros game (i.e. when they are nationally broadcast) and I watch it, they lose. They had it sewn up in the 7th when I started watching and they self destructed.

Sorry guys! :( :( :(

AggieJohn
04-06-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
That one was my fault.

Every time I am able to catch an Astros game (i.e. when they are nationally broadcast) and I watch it, they lose. They had it sewn up in the 7th when I started watching and they self destructed.

Sorry guys! :( :( :(

i know, ifeel the same way with the texan's

Wildcat81
04-06-2004, 05:19 PM
The Pitching wasn't bad the hitting stunk.:p :p

sahen
04-06-2004, 11:54 PM
Astros lost tonight by a score of 5-4....Petitte pitched ok...but like Oswalt shouldnt have been in the situation that he was in...The Astros left 16 men on base, which is inexcusable...9 of them were in scoring position...This team will never go anywhere until they start getting some clutch hitting...I know it is just the 2nd game and they will start prolly streaking eventually, but come on this team ALWAYS has this problem, year after year...They gotta fix it somehow...If they cant hit w/ men in scoring position then they will continue to loose until they start hitting most balls outa the ball park...

Wildcat81
04-07-2004, 12:32 AM
Astros lost tonight by a score of 5-4....Petitte pitched ok...but like Oswalt shouldnt have been in the situation that he was in...The Astros left 16 men on base, which is inexcusable...9 of them were in scoring position...This team will never go anywhere until they start getting some clutch hitting...I know it is just the 2nd game and they will start prolly streaking eventually, but come on this team ALWAYS has this problem, year after year...They gotta fix it somehow...If they cant hit w/ men in scoring position then they will continue to loose until they start hitting most balls outa the ball park...
I agree with you on that . score 7to5

spiveyrat
04-07-2004, 06:35 AM
This one wasn't my fault. I checked the score only once (4-1), and they were already behind.

slpybear the bullfan
04-07-2004, 12:36 PM
The Radio today said the Petite looked bad... was this true or just a case of wishing ill - will on the good?

Buccaneer
04-07-2004, 12:48 PM
Fire JimyWilliams.com
Every move he makes is the wrong one! Left Oswalt in too long! Let Petitte bat with the bases loaded so he could give up 2 more runs the next inning before he was pulled. Can Bagwell ever hit in the clutch !

JasperDog94
04-07-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
Can Bagwell ever hit in the clutch !
Has he ever?

crzyjournalist03
04-07-2004, 01:37 PM
Astros still have just as bad of a record as the Rangers!!!:p

JasperDog94
04-07-2004, 01:55 PM
Ouch! True, but ouch...:( :o

sahen
04-07-2004, 02:19 PM
sry about the score....it was 7 to 5.....i looked at the wrong game but the stats r right....they did leave 16 men on and 9 in scoring position....

sahen
04-07-2004, 11:43 PM
tonights win was nice...hopefully we will have manymore games like that this season than the games they hadthe first 2 nights....hitting was good and clemens was awesome....it was nice to see :)

crzyjournalist03
04-08-2004, 12:06 AM
tonights win was nice...hopefully we will have manymore games like that this season than the games they hadthe first 2 nights....hitting was good and clemens was awesome....it was nice to see :)

and they still have the same record as the Rangers :D :p

sahen
04-08-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
and they still have the same record as the Rangers :D :p
except the rangers have a lot less hope of doing anything than the astros

crzyjournalist03
04-08-2004, 09:06 PM
except the rangers have a lot less hope of doing anything than the astros

maybe so...but hope means nothing...records are everything!!!!

I'm just messing with you...the astros should be a much better team than the Rangers this year...but I've got to root on my Rangers even through the rough times!

Wildcat81
04-10-2004, 07:28 AM
Miller pitched a good game. Can't say that for the bullpen they gave up 5 runs.

Wildcat81
04-10-2004, 02:15 PM
Ben Sheets is pitching one heck of game so far.

sahen
04-10-2004, 05:40 PM
it is starting to appear as if the bullpen will be a little shakey this year....maybe they will pull it together, but they dont appear as strong as they have in the past....by the way...in case if u dont know petitte is on the 15 day DL...he strained his elbow in his first start on a check swing while batting....i heard they r bringing backe up so that means either hernandez (knuckle baller) or duckworth will take teh start....

Wildcat81
04-11-2004, 04:54 AM
it is starting to appear as if the bullpen will be a little shakey this year....maybe they will pull it together, but they dont appear as strong as they have in the past....by the way...in case if u dont know petitte is on the 15 day DL...he strained his elbow in his first start on a check swing while batting....i heard they r bringing backe up so that means either hernandez (knuckle baller) or duckworth will take teh start....

i watched the game yesterday. The bats were silent.:(

JasperDog94
04-11-2004, 03:48 PM
Way to go Berkman!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

sahen
04-11-2004, 05:45 PM
today was nice....hopefully they can keep it up against the cards in st. louis :)

Wildcat81
04-12-2004, 09:57 AM
yes it was a nice game yesterday. way to go Lance-a-lot.

District303aPastPlayer
04-12-2004, 11:02 AM
root root root for the cubbies =x

Wildcat81
04-12-2004, 10:10 PM
go stros go stros

sahen
04-13-2004, 01:01 AM
todays game looked pretty exciting on the game update thing on espn.com....unfortunately the game did not come on TV here...anyways the astros overcame a bad start by jared fernandez to win 10-5...hidalgo is simply tearing it up in the early season...he has 3 homers and 13 RBIs...looks like he is playing for a contract....anyways...hopefully petitte is gonna come back alright after his stint on the DL...we will need him....oh yah on a side note i saw that prior is rumored to need tommy john surgery....if that is true it will hurt the cubbies this year...

Wildcat81
04-13-2004, 09:23 AM
The bull pen did a great job last night.

sahen
04-14-2004, 12:21 AM
tonight was interesting....a great start by clemens again....dotel looked shakey but he did get the save....so thats allthat matters....another W for the stros....woohoo 5-3 and half a game outa first place behind the reds...lol yah i know 154 games to go

Wildcat81
04-14-2004, 12:25 PM
Dotel hopefuly will come around. Clements pitched great.

Old Tiger
04-14-2004, 05:10 PM
5-3 on the year, any idea how they did today at 12?

JasperDog94
04-14-2004, 05:21 PM
Has anybody seem my broom?!? How about those Astros!!! Sweeping their way to the top of the division and 3 games over 500 in this young season!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

sahen
04-14-2004, 06:52 PM
beat the crap outa st. louis today..11-1...Miller had some problems w/ walks and didnt appear too happy w/ himself but he didnt give up any runs through 7 innings....i'll take taht any day...Astros r now 6-3 on the young season and w/ Cincy's rainout in Philly today we r now tied for 1st in the NL Central....Back where we belong...on top! :) go Astros! (they had a great road trip by the way...after starting 1-2 at home they won 5 of 6 on the road...they will be at home tomorrow against the Brew Crew)

Wildcat81
04-15-2004, 01:23 AM
The hitting sure was good.

ej2525
04-15-2004, 05:07 AM
I am ready to see #21 off the DL!!

JasperDog94
04-15-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by ej2525
I am ready to see #21 off the DL!!
You and me both buddy.:)

JasperDog94
04-15-2004, 10:05 AM
Jim Edmonds wasn't that impressed with the Astros.

"I think they're the same team they had last year, I really do," Edmonds said. "I really don't think there's any difference. They've got decent pitching, they've got good defense and they've got good offense."

"decent pitching"...what is this guy smoking?!?:rolleyes: The Cards only scored 9 runs in 3 games and he calls the pitching "decent". Dude, your team just got throttled. Swallow it and get on with the season.

That "decent" pitching put a hold on one of the hottest offensive teams so far this young season. So far the Cards have scored (in order) 6,5 9,5,13,10, and 6 in the games leading up to the series with the Astros. Sounds to me like you just got shut down.

..."decent pitching"...what'll they say next...:rolleyes: :p :p :p :clap:

sahen
04-15-2004, 05:18 PM
guess he has to say something to defend his last place cards?? lol

just thought i would mention that as of right now the astros r sitting in 1st place all by their lonesome w/ cincy's loss today at philly...if we win tonight we will be a game ahead of them and one and a half games ahead of the cubbies, if we loose we will be back tied w/ cincy for 1st and half a game ahead of the cubs...here's for 5 wins in a row! go 'stros!

Wildcat81
04-15-2004, 05:27 PM
We'll be at home tonight.We gotta do better than last time with
Sheets pitching.

sahen
04-15-2004, 05:29 PM
it would be hard to do much worse than we did the other day w/ him pitching...

Wildcat81
04-15-2004, 05:45 PM
it would be hard to do much worse than we did the other day w/ him pitching...

You got that right. I believe they will do better.

Wildcat81
04-15-2004, 10:31 PM
Well i was wrong. Redding stunk, Hitting wasn't good, 3 era's

sahen
04-15-2004, 10:55 PM
yah....bad game but i think they will rebound from it...maybe another 4 in a row?

Wildcat81
04-15-2004, 11:14 PM
Oswalt, Duckworth, Clements, Miller. :D :D Poor Redding can't seem to get it together.:( :(

JasperDog94
04-16-2004, 11:29 AM
So Duckworth is in the 2 spot for now?

sahen
04-16-2004, 02:04 PM
I believe so....cause fernandez got sent back to AAA and Duckworth is the only former starter in the pen w/ success now, so he would be the most logical one for that spot...

sahen
04-18-2004, 04:57 PM
this weekend was good....clemens is absolutely awesome so far he is 3-0 by himself....the astros right now r 9-4 and 1st in the central....1 game ahead of the surprising reds.... OH YEAH one more thing...we have the best record in the majors right now....tied w/ 8-3 L.A. (i know their % is better, but look at espn's rankings, since we have played 2 more games we get to be tied).... :) go 'stros

Wildcat81
04-19-2004, 06:48 AM
Clements still domenating the pitchers mound. Awsome.
Clements 3-0
Oswalt 2-0 1 no Decision
Miller 2-0

great pitching guys.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Wildcat81
04-20-2004, 04:36 PM
Miller pitches tonight. Hope the streak sticks

Wildcat81
04-21-2004, 08:50 AM
tough lose last night.:(

sahen
04-21-2004, 02:00 PM
hopefully redding will get his year on track tonight against the cards

sahen
04-22-2004, 12:29 AM
well....i guess redding decided to go the opposite way and totally loose control of his game....maybe he can get it going in his next start...some good news though, pettite seems to have recovered well and will start in his spot in the rotation not this coming turn but the next, he would start this time but apparantly they are expecting snowy weather at coors and they didnt want his first start back there :)

AggieJohn
04-22-2004, 01:04 AM
redding is not ready to be a starter, he's too unclutch...and shane a. jordan was that game tonight...

sahen
04-22-2004, 12:52 PM
thats cool...i didnt see him on tv though...darn...anyways i think redding proved last year he could be a starter since he had the lowest ERA on the staff...it was a 3. something i cant remember the last 2 numbers, a lotta pitchers have trouble the beginning of the season so hopefully he can turn it around, but if he dont get it together this next start i wouldnt be surprised to see duckworth take his place in the rotation when pettite gets back next week....

AggieJohn
04-22-2004, 01:12 PM
2 things...rockets current ERA is like 3 times smaller than that of Redding.....

and also..i would like to see duckworth in the mix..i think he got a lot of bad press by being the opposite end of the trade for billy wagner....i think he has the stuff...

JasperDog94
04-22-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by explayer2001
...rockets current ERA is like 3 times smaller than that of Redding.....
Rocket - 0.87
Redding - 10.22

That's more like 12 times smaller...:eek: :eek:

sahen
04-22-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by explayer2001
2 things...rockets current ERA is like 3 times smaller than that of Redding.....

and also..i would like to see duckworth in the mix..i think he got a lot of bad press by being the opposite end of the trade for billy wagner....i think he has the stuff...

um...i meant last years ERA....and if u compare Duckworth (24 games, 18 games started, 4-7 record and 4.94 ERA) to Redding (33 games, 32 games started, 10-14 (the lowest run support in the national league last year) 3.68 ERA) last year there is no contest, Redding proved himself the better pitcher...he has appeared to have got off to a bad start this year, im sure if he keeps it up then they will switch them out, but a whole year's ERA is normally more indicative of the type of player a pitcher is than 3 games...

crzyjournalist03
04-22-2004, 05:54 PM
um...i meant last years ERA....and if u compare Duckworth (24 games, 18 games started, 4-7 record and 4.94 ERA) to Redding (33 games, 32 games started, 10-14 (the lowest run support in the national league last year) 3.68 ERA) last year there is no contest, Redding proved himself the better pitcher...he has appeared to have got off to a bad start this year, im sure if he keeps it up then they will switch them out, but a whole year's ERA is normally more indicative of the type of player a pitcher is than 3 games...

Duckworth was also pitching in a much more pitcher friendly park than Redding last year.

sahen
04-22-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Duckworth was also pitching in a much more pitcher friendly park than Redding last year.
yah...i didnt think of that too...hence another reason to see if redding can straighten things out

crzyjournalist03
04-22-2004, 10:40 PM
St. Louis gets their revenge by completing the sweep in Houston for the first time since 1998...where did the Astros offense go in this game? 9-6 and they've got company at the top of the division...

sahen
04-22-2004, 10:42 PM
its still early....tonight was a tuff loss...along w/ miller's game 2 nights ago, both of those games couldve went either way....hopefully the bats wil come through more times than not

JasperDog94
04-23-2004, 05:35 PM
Man, it really hurts when you're the one that the broom's hitting...

sahen
05-01-2004, 01:35 AM
havent posted on this in a while.....clemens is doing awesome....first astro to ever go 5-0 in the month of april....and the astros r tied for 1st in teh central w/ the cubbies at 13-9...:) go 'stros

Wildcat81
05-08-2004, 09:57 AM
Tim Redding finally won a game.:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Old Tiger
05-08-2004, 10:24 AM
Man, it really hurts when you're the one that the broom's hitting... lol

sahen
05-08-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Wildcat81
Tim Redding finally won a game.:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
ahhh maybe he is turning it around the and boo birds will go away...if he can have the season he had last year he will end up w/ at least 15 wins this year....cant wait to find out...go 'stros!

JasperDog94
05-08-2004, 06:34 PM
You know that when the main topic of contention (sp?) surrounding your team is the FIFTH starter, you're doing okay.

AggieJohn
05-09-2004, 02:30 AM
how did all those folks get thrown out tonight
i didn't watch it till the 9th

sahen
05-09-2004, 02:45 AM
a lotta questionable calls.....

Wildcat81
05-09-2004, 05:31 AM
a lotta questionable calls.....

2nd Base umpire most have a bionic eye to over rule Home plate