PDA

View Full Version : Miracle

vet93
03-16-2004, 09:25 AM
I just went to see the movie Miracle last night with my wife (I know....I am behind the times...the movie has been out a long time). It brought back alot of memories. I still remember watching that game in the 1980 olympics. I wasn't much of a hockey fan but I was into sports so I found myself caught up in the game. I was 14 years old and I remember sitting there as the last few seconds ticked away with tears rolling down my face. I remember seeing Jim Craig, draped in an American flag, desperately looking in the stands for his father (his mother had passed away earlier that year and his dad had lost his job. His mother always wanted him to be on the olympic team). I remember the U.S.A. chant. I think that it is the first time I remember hearing it in an international competition. I remember Al Michaels asking the question, "Do you believe in Miracles". I remember the huge sign hung in front of the Soviet embassy that read "USA 4, Soviets 3". It is almost like it happened yesterday. For those of you who are younger you may not understand the significance of the victory for the united states. It came at a time when our national psyche was pretty low. We had pulled out of Viet Nam in disgrace in 1973, followed by the watergate scandal. The Soviet Union was a looming menace that seemed to be gaining ground on all fronts. The hostages in Iran were taken and inflation was rampant. There was not alot to be proud about in America at the time. Then came along this ragtag group of young people who end up defeating the most dominating sports team in the histrory of the olympics. The Russian national team not only were good in the olympics but they consistenly made a mockery of the NHL all star teams that they played. It was truly a story of a group of people coming together and playing above their heads to achieve a goal that most thought was impossible. To all of you young people out there, I urge you all to see this movie. It is a blueprint of what can be achieved through hardwork and determination. It is also a lesson in giving up the rights of the individual for the sake of the team. Finally it is a lesson in depending on a coach to make the decisions on the ice (field) and not second guessing his motives and not quitting when he was tough on them. Too many people today fold up their tents when the coach works them too hard or doesn't run the latest "designer" offense. Hopefully we can let the lives of these young people be an example to all of us.

BrahmaMom
03-16-2004, 10:35 AM
Wow, thanks for the memories! You did an outstanding job of describing what life was like then. I wasn't much older than you, so my view was pretty much the same; however, you did a remarkable job writing it all so vividly. I think I'll take my kids to go see it today! Thanks again!

Bull's-eye
03-16-2004, 02:04 PM
Hey Vet93, I had posted earlier on this movie. I agree with your comments and really recommend this movie. Someone had posted earlier that they didn't like hockey, so they probably won't see this movie. This movie is not just about hockey, but many other things as you posted. Brooks pulled off one of the best display of coaching that I have ever seen! You can seach back the movie Miracle and find some of the other posts.

vet93
03-16-2004, 03:48 PM
Thanks Bullseye...I read your comments among others and it is one of the reasons that my wife and I went to the movie.

Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Hey Vet93, I had posted earlier on this movie. I agree with your comments and really recommend this movie. Someone had posted earlier that they didn't like hockey, so they probably won't see this movie. This movie is not just about hockey, but many other things as you posted. Brooks pulled off one of the best display of coaching that I have ever seen! You can seach back the movie Miracle and find some of the other posts.

AggieJohn
03-16-2004, 05:24 PM
Franchione took the Texas A&M players to see it...he cancelled afternoon workouts earlier this month one day and took the whole team too see it as a "educational training"...they were ecstatic