PDA

View Full Version : Dave Campbell Again Picks Region 2 19out of 25

Old Cardinal
06-16-2002, 07:59 AM
I really think the only think that will stop Dave Campbell for discriminating against Region I, Region III, and Region IV is for all of us to choose to not buy his magazine this year. He picked Gatesville(RegionIII) to not make the playoffs in 2000 yet they won State. He has never rated Bridge City(Region III) period and they won Region III, last year. Of course returning most of their starters they are not rated in the top 25 again this year! Burnet, Sweeny, Barbers Hill, Liberty, and a dozen other could swamp most of his Wonderful Region II selections. The reason he does this type picks, is to sign autographs and sell more magazines around the D-FW area. If everyone from the other Regions would just not buy that rag for one year, maybe he would get the message.

BH_146
06-16-2002, 10:09 AM
Yes, I'm a little miffed about Barbers Hill not being in the top 25. But considering that Bridge City and Bellville are not there either makes his top 25 somewhat bogus. It appears that a school doesn't have to earn their respect on the playing field. (You may be right, it may at the cash register.) Yet, I will buy his magazine. It is still one of the most comprehensive Texas football magazines. And I like reading it for the info on the colleges and their feature stories. Besides, we know how many wins a team is credited for being in any poll.

sinfan75
06-16-2002, 10:10 AM
Old Card,look again!Region I&II both have large number of ranked teams.9 and 10 respectfully.If I was Dave Campbell I would wanna make sure I had the BEST teams in the top 25,Not because they dropped down a class or what region they're from.Guess Region III can't play football anymore either just like Region IV.

Jacket2000
06-16-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal:
I really think the only think that will stop Dave Campbell for discriminating against Region I, Region III, and Region IV is for all of us to choose to not buy his magazine this year. He picked Gatesville(RegionIII) to not make the playoffs in 2000 yet they won State. He has never rated Bridge City(Region III) period and they won Region III, last year. Of course returning most of their starters they are not rated in the top 25 again this year! Burnet, Sweeny, Barbers Hill, Liberty, and a dozen other could swamp most of his Wonderful Region II selections. The reason he does this type picks, is to sign autographs and sell more magazines around the D-FW area. If everyone from the other Regions would just not buy that rag for one year, maybe he would get the message.
I have a question; who cares? Why does it mean so much to you to have your team ranked? Apparently it has no bearing on your season, since you mentioned that Bridge City won region III and wasnt even ranked. Is there some special prize you get for being ranked? Actually, most coaches would rather not be ranked, but I guess y'all are more concerned with what Mr. Campbell thinks about your regions. Well, NEWS FLASH! Rankings mean nothing! Sometime's they're right on the money, sometime's they're way out in left field. Either way, they mean nothing!! So please, stop whining about not being ranked.
J2K
PS: It wouldnt matter if DCTF ranked a few Oklahoma teams in his top ten, he would still sell as many autographs as he wanted to all over the state.

QBKilla
06-16-2002, 01:07 PM
We know rankings don't get you squat once you strap on the pads. It's just the principle of it. Good teams feel they should be respected, being ranked is a form of respect. But you're right maybe it's better for a team not to be ranked just to piss 'em off and a put a chip on their shoulder. The elite teams in Region 3 know what they are capable of though and I'm sure they intend on succeeding in their goals. I still like the magazine though http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif.

[This message has been edited by QBKilla (edited June 16, 2002).]

sinfan75
06-16-2002, 01:53 PM
I'll also buy the magazine,I just think that teams should be ranked in atop 25 because of amount of talent they have comin back and what that accomplished a year ago.Not because they were 1-9 and dropped down from 4A.it just seems like a slap in the face to a lot of teams in 3A who deserve that #10 ranking.

Jacket2000
06-16-2002, 02:10 PM
Well, maybe J. David Barron knows something you dont, eh? Do you know how Snyder did last season and exactly what they have coming back and coming up? I do agree that Carthage seems to be a bit overrated, but I think they're there mostly on reputation and tradition. It was only a few years ago that they were a 4a power. Besides, had Carthage not been ranked, it would probably have been another region 1 or 2 team, so you still wouldnt be happy.
J2K

sinfan75
06-16-2002, 02:18 PM
LOL,probably not!

Old Cardinal
06-16-2002, 02:21 PM
There is an important reason that rankings should not be politicalized to tout the two Regions I & II, apparently just to boaster magazine sales around D-FW. It appears that this discrimination is from Class A on through Class AAAAA. That reason is that good ball players at other worthy schools might get overlooked in the scheme of things- in College scholarship recruitments. Example: Bellville, for one, has several players that might well deserve D1 scholarships;however, they are not even ranked at the beginning of the year. Therefore, the schools, in especially Region II, are artifically elevated to appear to have superior players. I think it is a real shame for the power of the press to tout a bunch of teams in the high population area (D-FW)-expecting folks might buy more magazines there. That is why a drop in sales across Texas might just rectify this on going problem.

eye of the tiger
06-16-2002, 04:31 PM
Old Card I dont disagree with you often, but I have to now. A survey of Dave Campbell's latest addition does not agree with your conclusions either. In 5A 13 are from reg I and II and 12 for III and IV, but 8 of the top ten are from reg III and IV.
IN 4A 12 from I and II and 13 from III and IV with 6 of the top ten from III and IV.
In 3A 19 from I and II and 6 from III And IV. Only 4 from III And IV in the top ten, but 3 of the top 4 are III And IV teams.
IN 2A 5 teams from I and II and 20 from III And IV with 7 of the top ten in III And IV.
I 1A 6 from I and II and 4 from III And IV(only listed a top 10 for 1A.
55 teams total from regions I and II and 55 teams from III and IV. Most of the scholarships go to class 4A and 5A players and the bias is clearly towards regions III and IV in those classes.
Anyhow good luck to Your Cards this year and all the teams and players.

j_dog
06-16-2002, 04:54 PM
Old Cardinal, I feel your pain. Your team plays well, you want some recognition the next year. Thankfully, the real poll is on the playing field.

Old Cardinal
06-16-2002, 07:10 PM
To Eye of the Tiger, I too have always respected your opinions. I was just going on past empirical data through the years. Obviously, I have not read DCTF this year, once I saw that only 6 teams out of 25 were from Regions III and IV. Teams like Mathis, Splendora, Cuero, Bandera, Wimberly, and Dibol also have excellent personnel to compete with anyone. Again, I reinterate, its a slap in the face to both Coaches and players for the press to be so bais in there pickings.. I have been told however, that Dave Campbell doesn't make all these predictions-low paid College students compile much of this. Do you know if there is any truth to this?

eye of the tiger
06-16-2002, 08:29 PM
Old Card I'm not sure who does the research for the polls. But Im sure if they do use students, it is for low pay. Every job I had in college was low pay.
Hopefully being ignored will inspire the negelected worthy teams. I personally think Commerce is rated a bit high. I was thinking maybe 15 or 16 to start and maybe breaking in the top ten about week 5.
The 3A polls to me seem more out of sync than any of the others. I do think BC and Burnet should be on the list. Dont know too much about Bandara. I think Atlanta and maybe Sealy should be listed. After the first read of the magazine it wouldnt surprise me to see Everman,Forney, Bridge City, Sinton in the Div I final four. Region III will be tough for you guys with Jasper now 3A. I think Forney's biggest competion in region II will be Gainsville. I think Everman and Sinton will have an easier time(not easy, just easier) Its going to be a fun year for sure.