PDA

View Full Version : Mathew328 or whoever, NEW FORUM PLEASE

crunkandfocused
10-15-2003, 02:12 AM
I just wanted to suggest that a new forum be made for people to post all non football related topics. The 3A football discussion forum is rather cluttered with a bunch of posts that have absolutely nothing to do with football... i.e. "My 1000th post!!" and other threads of the like. Just an idea that I think would help people find threads faster and keep more 3A football related topics higher up for longer amounts of time thus allowing for more discussion.

<small>[ October 15, 2003, 02:23 AM: Message edited by: crunkandfocused ]</small>

TBrents
10-15-2003, 02:19 AM
I agree, and would like to add that if discussion of the NFL and other sports such as baseball will be part of the forum, the name should be changed to "sports discussion"... otherwise I think enforcing the topic should be something ya'll consider. It's a 3A Football Discussion forum... not NFL or Baseball... or returns of old users... or lost sneakers... or even silly # of posts notices... which brings me to my NEXT suggestion... GET RID OF THE RANKING SYSTEM... please. #of posts... okay... but the silly nicknames need to go.

The open discussion format w/ loose topic enforcement use to be great, but with so many users now it just adds to the clutter, and makes it harder to find "on-topic" threads.

Just my two cents.

-Tommy B

<small>[ October 15, 2003, 02:24 AM: Message edited by: TBrents ]</small>

Jacket2000
10-15-2003, 02:34 AM
We've had this format for 4 seasons now, and not only does everyone seem to like it, but they've made hundreds of dollars in donations so that we could keep it thisaway. Yes, it is a football site. But, as you can see, it's become a community. Football is just the thing that has brought everyone together. But, if you stick around long enough, you'll see that the message board stays hoppin' all year long. New friendships have been made and old friendships have been sustained, all on our lil' ol' message board. So, Im sorry that you dont like it. But, we're definately not gonna change it now.
J2K

TBrents
10-15-2003, 07:55 AM
I don't think either of us said we don't like it, and you certainly don't have to be so condescending toward our suggestions.

We simply made those suggestions to (in our eyes) better the community here that we enjoy. I can't speak for Levi (a.k.a. crunkandfocused) but I'm sure he'd agree that this is a wonderful website with great discussion and content.

Our suggestions were just that, and were not necesarilly complaints at all, while I still stand firm that with a discussion forum with so much traffic, you need better division and classification of topics. It just simply becomes too difficult at times to keep up with certain threads when there are so many. Dividing them would make this easier for everybody.

Again, these aren't complaints.... this isn't a COMPLAINT forum.... these are suggestions. Take em with open arms, or spit on them and laugh... it makes no difference. I'll visit and enjoy this site all the same....

To the owner of this site, great job... and thank you for this source of discussion and information. Keep up the great work.

-Tommy B

JasperDog94
10-15-2003, 09:15 AM
Jacket2000:
We've had this format for 4 seasons now, and not only does everyone seem to like it, but they've made hundreds of dollars in donations so that we could keep it thisaway. Yes, it is a football site. But, as you can see, it's become a community. Football is just the thing that has brought everyone together. But, if you stick around long enough, you'll see that the message board stays hoppin' all year long. New friendships have been made and old friendships have been sustained, all on our lil' ol' message board. So, Im sorry that you dont like it. But, we're definately not gonna change it now.
J2KAs much as it pains me to say it...I agree with Jacket. eek! I feel that other topics help us to get to know each other better. Even though I've never met another 3ADownLow person in person, I feel that I know them pretty well.

The extra topics are also a way of venting for some of us. Especially if your team played a bad game.

JMHO + .02 cents

TBrents
10-15-2003, 01:17 PM
JasperDog,

I understand what you're saying. We're not saying get rid of the off-topic threads, we're saying create a special forum area just for genereal discussion.

Our point is that with so many threads and posts, it'd be easier for readers (not just posters) to find the threads they are looking for. I support non-footbal/personal discussion, but not at the expense of the ease of navigation through this site.

Personal remarks within on-topic threads don't really bother me, it's the large number of entire threads devoted to off-topic subject matter that makes it a pain to navigate. Just add another forum area for "Open Discussion."

I certanly understand and respect both points of view here, so I hope I don't sound too harsh in my explanations. I love this site and simply make these suggestions to hopefully lead to an even more successful 3ADownLow.com

Look at it like a video store. If you start out small and have all your videos (of all genres) on one small wall, it's okay... because people can find what they're looking for on one small wall. Now take into consideration the store has grown eight times the size, and now has two walls and two double-sided shelves full of movies.

It no longer makes sense to try and keep the movies ungrouped. So, what do you do? Create a "new release" section, a "horror" section, and maybe an "action" section. The groups don't matter, what matters is what makes it easy for the customer (or in our case reader) to find what we're looking for. The analogy between 3ADownLow and a Video Store can be made in that 3ADownLow has gotten very popular and has many readers (not just posters... readers as well).

I hope my explanation wasn't too corny, and I hope 3ADownLow owners don't mind me comparing it to a video store... but afterall... it's in a good way.

Thanks for the opportunity to discuss and depate these ideas. Have a great day!

-Tommy B

Old Cardinal
10-15-2003, 01:49 PM
I think Matt and the others have been wise to allow some assorted sports discussion...It's real simple folks-Let's say there is a post saying "CrossCounty results" that you are not interested in-just don't open it!...But let others exchange info interesting to them...As soon as the Football season is over, to a large extent, its other sports info that keeps the Message Board going. And by the way the donations are done by those that Post year round, mainly so the youth can go-at-it during District football season. Keep it as it is, don't fix something that doesn't need fixing.

crunkandfocused
10-15-2003, 07:09 PM
I"m not trying to imply that we should limit the discussion strictly to 3A football. But it seems to me that there have been a lot of threads posted that deal nothing with high school sports at all. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=010215 &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;--- example.
I'm not trying to degrade ranger mom or this post, but I'm simply suggesting that posts like this would be much more suited to an open/general discussion forum rather than one that is SUPPOSED to be for 3A football. I don't mean to make a whole new website or anything, just make a new forum for general discussion, i.e. the suggestion forum, coaching jobs forum. Thanks.

3afan2K3
10-15-2003, 07:50 PM
maybe they could put a link to my site in a sticky topic on the other message board :D

www.cheer.proboards20.com

and it is a real site

TBrents
10-15-2003, 09:48 PM
LOL, talk about divided. I think there's a topic there for everything... except football of course.

Rock on...

-Tommy B

mwynn05
05-15-2004, 09:44 PM
ttt

kaorder1999
05-18-2004, 08:20 PM
leave it the way it is

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-01-2004, 06:24 PM
i know this is old, but its funny these two guys left because ppl were talking about something other than football, God forbid. i love football, but dont get me wrong, when there is none going on you cant really talk about it and it gets a little old.

Old Tiger
06-01-2004, 07:04 PM
just have fun and POST!!!!

CHS_Grad '85
06-02-2004, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
just have fun and POST!!!!
DITTO!!!

LH Panther Mom
06-05-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by CHS_Grad '85
DITTO!!!

Ditto from me as well. If topics were only limited to football, there wouldn't be many folks on here from December to mid-July.

pakrat
06-08-2004, 12:41 AM
I like all the sillyness and posts that don't apply to football when its not football season. But during the season, it is very annoying to have to sift through all the "I'm Bored Tonight" posts and other drival. I have seen the time when I had to go back about 5 pages to find anything I was interested in because there were so many kids posting so fast and frequently. I just about lost interest in the board during the fat part of the season because of it, and I am just as silly as anybody on here at times. Just that I work, don't have a lot of time to devote to the board, depend on it for results of football games and get disgusted when I can't find anything but silly posts. Like I said, I only feel this way during the height of the season.

sinton66
06-08-2004, 07:41 PM
The moderators are discussing starting a "General Topic" forum during the deason. It's not set in concrete yet, but it could happen.