PDA

View Full Version : Please help me out if possible.

keep_it_real
09-16-2002, 10:51 PM
Im a college student who wants to be a coach. I have a well understanding of the game and have had coaching experience with little league football teams. My plan is to major is Psychology, because the ultimate goal is to end up a sports psychologist. If you have any suggestions please let me know. Thank you

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-17-2002, 12:37 PM
Where are you going to school right now, coach??? I'm a "soon-to-be" coach also!

I think a sports psychologist would be a good asset to any coaching staff. However, there aren't any secondary level schools (that i'm aware of) that offer Psychology as a course. If that class were available, then it would be no trouble at all.

But, if worst case scenario occurs, and you can't teach, it may be possible to be hired by a school district as a counselor/coach.....even though most are teachers/coaches, I don't see why you can't be a counselor/coach, you would be an employee of the district.

This is a tough one. There are a few coaches on the board, i'll ask them to come to the "coaching jobs" board and offer their advice to you.

[This message has been edited by TarponFanInNorthTexas (edited September 17, 2002).]

keep_it_real
09-17-2002, 07:47 PM
Hey, thanks alot I appreciate it.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-17-2002, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by keep_it_real:
Hey, thanks alot I appreciate it.

No problem, coach. That's what we're here for.

mwynn05
09-17-2002, 09:50 PM
good luck in ur coaching career

oldercoach
09-17-2002, 10:03 PM
sorry to bust your bubble but very few if any school district in the state of Texas is going to have a job opening for someone with a psych. degree. Almost all coaching positions are filled by coaches who can teach bio.,math,history... one of the main subject areas. You need to get certified in one of the major fields so you can get a job and then work toward your other interests. No school that I know of will let you be a counselor and also coach. The two positions are mutually exclusive. We have lots of college kids try to apply for positions and they can't teach anything solid so their application gets stuck in the file. Hope this helps! Been coaching for 22 years if your interested.

swampdude
09-17-2002, 10:40 PM
Oldercoach has given good advice. I have a certification in Psychology and fortunately also in History. Go ask Principals what fields they need help in. They are the key to you getting a job in the desirable districts. Kineseology is not always the best certification to have either unless you have another as well. Make yourself hireable by being versatile with your teaching fields. Then live eat and breath whatever sport you plan to coach by hanging with successful coaches. Good luck!

etcoach
09-18-2002, 01:01 PM
The last 2 3A schools I have coached at, have offered Psych in their curriculum. Most larger schools also offer it. ON the other hand, good advice is being given; the more versatile you are, the more marketable.

------------------
dance with the one that brung ya!

keep_it_real
09-18-2002, 02:11 PM
I appreciate the advise! It helps out alot. I wish it would work out with psychology though, because the coaches who made the biggest impact on me in highschool were the ones who took the time to listen, and showed that they cared. When I needed advice, or help, the coaches who cared made a big influence on me, I think with a degree in psychology it would not only help me understand and view the game with a different perception but also help me understand the athletes better and maybe i could improve their game with just mental tools that are taught in psychology. Im sure this is nothing new, but 90% of football is in the mind. Well in some aspects. But please keep posting, I want to be the best I can be, and the posts really do help me out.