PDA

View Full Version : ref's call, good or bad?

surfspike
12-08-2002, 01:04 AM
two plays at the end of the everman game:

forney qb has ball, right after snap, pretends to spike the ball, but fakes it intentionally as a trick play. The ball never leaves his possession and the refs call the play dead. they executed this so well they tricked the refs.

forney actually DOES spike the ball, the refs dub it a fumble, and dont blow the whistle....so hanie picks the ball back up and throws it away while getting hit. then the refs call intentional grounding. ***

i wont say what i think of these stupid refs b/c it will result in me getting banned. Forney played a good game. Go burnet. that is all.

Matthew328
12-08-2002, 02:29 AM
On the first play it appeared that there was miscommunication on Forney's part....becuase on that play Hanie was sacked...everyone on Forney stood around and Hanie got sacked...I believe a couple of plays later was when Forney got the defensive holding..on the grounding..like I said before...Hanie fumbled tried to pick it up and then spike it...if you don't spike the ball immediatley and then try to spike it later it is an automatic grounding call...

Rabbit'93
12-08-2002, 02:44 AM
What about the pass interference call that the ref missed. I just l;ike to stir the pot a bit. No sour grapes.

BigBrother70
12-08-2002, 08:35 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by surfspike:
[QB]two plays at the end of the everman game:

forney qb has ball, right after snap, pretends to spike the ball, but fakes it intentionally as a trick play. The ball never leaves his possession and the refs call the play dead. they executed this so well they tricked the refs.

Not being at the game, its hard to answer, but, let me say this.
In pregame conference, the Coaches are asked if there is anything unusual, tricky etc, that a team might do, sometimes coaches remember to tell sometimes they don't.
I have seen this exact play in a game and when the coach blew, he was asked if he had brought this play up. He shut up. Any attempt to deceive in this fashion is not legal

jason
12-08-2002, 08:36 AM
The call on the intentional grounding was a HORRIBLE call...he did spike it, he just didn't bring his arm back very far. If he had fumbled the snap he would have jumped on the ball instead of picking it back up. The refs also missed the pass interference at the end. They did call defensive holding, but it obviously should have been pass interference. It was a great game, too bad it had to end on those sour notes. Congrats to Everman.

bulldog65
12-08-2002, 08:56 AM
[QUOTE]Quoting from the rulebook, interpretations section, middle of page FI-37:

"... A1 muffs the hand-to-hand snap, immediately recovers the ball and throws it forward into the ground. RULING: Illegal pass, not a valid attempt to conserve time."

As was posted below, please know the rules before you blast the officials.

The interpretation above EXACTLY describes the play. The Forney QB muffed the snap, took a couple of steps to his right, picked up the ball, and spiked it.

That was MY flag on the ground, and I defy you to prove it was not the correct call.[/QOUTE]

Saw this on another message board about the call. Evidently this guy was an official at the game.

<small>[ December 08, 2002, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: bulldog65 ]</small>

TXMike
12-08-2002, 09:32 AM
jason:
The call on the intentional grounding was a HORRIBLE call...he did spike it, he just didn't bring his arm back very far. If he had fumbled the snap he would have jumped on the ball instead of picking it back up. The refs also missed the pass interference at the end. They did call defensive holding, but it obviously should have been pass interference. It was a great game, too bad it had to end on those sour notes. Congrats to Everman.Jason:
How far he drew his arm back has nothing to do with it. Are you saying the spike happened before the ball fell to the ground and was retrieved? Furthermore, if he just fell on the ball, the clock would not have stopped and that was what he was trying to do right...stop the clock?

If they called defensive holding instead of pass interference, the maximum amount of difference would have been 5 yards. It would still be a 1st down either way. So what was the big problem? Could you describe what happened (the player's actions, where it happened, where ball was , etc) on the play?

<small>[ December 08, 2002, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: TXMike ]</small>