PDA

View Full Version : Jasper's Marlin Cook in Top 30 fullbacks in Texas

j_dog
03-03-2003, 08:37 PM
Jasper's Marlin Cook in Top 30 fullbacks in Texas, all classes, per Texas Prep.

Way to go Marlon! All 5' 10", and 240 pounds!

And he can kick those extra points also.

<small>[ March 03, 2003, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: j_dog ]</small>

Billy Boy
03-03-2003, 10:01 PM
And he'll be back next year what a back. I saw him gain 20 yards carrying 6 players with him. :)

Jimbotex40
03-03-2003, 10:33 PM
was that carthage guy in the top 30 also?

Old Cardinal
03-03-2003, 11:15 PM
Marlin Cook has my vote! I saw him romp all over Mexia. He was like a run-away train engine! Jasper had a terrible kicking game till he stepped in and saved the day.

kepdawg
03-04-2003, 12:23 AM
I only saw the playoff games the last two seasons, but I thought he looked best his sophomore season. He's a good one!

j_dog
03-04-2003, 08:34 PM
Jimbotex40:
was that carthage guy in the top 30 also?No, apparently not. Here is the web address if you want to look at the list.

http://texasprepxtra.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=170461

<small>[ March 04, 2003, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: j_dog ]</small>

Jimbotex40
03-04-2003, 10:57 PM
thanks for the list.

i noticed that this guy from jasper also, weighs the most on the list (well one guy tied him).

do yall find that important in a fullback?

j_dog
03-04-2003, 11:16 PM
Jimbotex40:
thanks for the list.

i noticed that this guy from jasper also, weighs the most on the list (well one guy tied him).

do yall find that important in a fullback?I would not think it is that important. In Marlon's case, I don't know if you could even say that he plays "fullback" at Jasper since Jasper has been running the spread offense for two years now. I think TexasPrep just had to put him in some slot and chose fullback based on his size. I would say that he is just one of the Jasper running backs. Yes, his size can make a difference in short yardage situations, but he just as often may be sprinting for a 40 or 50 yard TD. I have no idea what his speed is, but to me it is amazing how fast he can move that 240 pounds down the field. That is what makes him so much fun to watch.

spiveyrat
03-05-2003, 12:41 PM
I think size is very important to a fullback. Afterall, they are primarily used as a blocking backs and in short yardage situations. My best friend was a defensive tackle for the dogs back when the "Fridge" was being used in Chicago as a fullback in short situations. Our ninth or tenth grade year, the coaches decided we needed a similar short yardage fullback (i.e. my friend). We dubbed him the "deep freeze". I remember an occasion when we were playing Lincoln, who had a lot of tall skinny guys on their defensive line. The ball was on the 1 or 2 yard line and they gave the ball to the "deep freeze". He didn't move too fast and he was quickly covered by Lincoln's quick defensive line. All you could see from the sideline was a pile of defensive linemen moving over the goal line. Funny to see.

In retrospect, "fridge" and "deep freeze" weren't true fullbacks. But it illustrates the point of size being an asset in short yardage situations.