PDA

View Full Version : University Vs. Millitary Academys

True94
02-27-2003, 11:43 PM
If you had a son and he was offered a scholarsip to a Div 2 college and one from lets say the Naval academy. What would you think is best? What do you all think about football scholarships to the academies???

Jimbotex40
02-27-2003, 11:47 PM
i would send him to a military academy, better education, and better heritage and what not.

div 2 isnt very good at either of these things

Old Dog
02-28-2003, 01:48 AM
Think about who you would hire if all else were the same! Leadership, leadership, leadership!

jykoy
03-01-2003, 05:49 PM
Go to the Naval Academy. It's the best academy out of all three of the academies. maybe not in football, but overall, he'll have the best experience. Do NOT go to the Air Force Academy.

Jimbotex40
03-02-2003, 02:21 PM
why not air force, is that the hardest one or something, or is the location of it the worst?

3afan08
03-02-2003, 04:13 PM
jimbo - your reasoning for selecting a military academy over a D2 school is quite shallow.

first of all, just because an institution chooses to play D2 athletics has nothing do do with its academics or its heritage. the school who plays D2 athletics simply does not have or chooses not to spend the resources necesssary to compete at the D1 level. again, that has nothing to do with academics.

and how is a school "good" - or not good - at heritage? and how does heritage help a kid get a quality education?

to say "div 2 isnt very good at either of these things" is just wrong. the kid that is willing to work, to bust his arse, and do what it takes will always get the better education than the other kid, no matter where he/she goes. D1, D2 or D3 .....

Old Dog
03-02-2003, 07:26 PM
One over related fact.......the military scholarship is going to cost you "payback time". A military career may be exactly what your child wants and these schools are the best place to start. If not, you do have a 3-5 year obligation to consider. That alone might stop a lot of youngsters.

Jimbotex40
03-02-2003, 08:41 PM
ok 3afan, name one div 2 or 3 school in texas where you can recieve a better education that any of the military academies

hmmm, the only one that comes to mind is trinity is san antonio, but that still doesnt even come close to any of the academies

Jimbotex40
03-02-2003, 08:45 PM
lol, i just noticed that you said "how can they be good at heritage".

i said they have better heritage. now you absolutely cant deny that military academies have more heritage than some div 2 school.

jykoy
03-03-2003, 03:44 PM
Don't knock it until you try it. I went to the Air Force Academy and then transferred to Sam Houston State. I LOVE it here at Sam. The only reason you should go to an Academy is if you want to serve your country and be the best officer you can possibly be. Sure you get alot of benefits, but just like 'Old Dog' said, you have to pay back with 5 years of service. That's 9 years of your life dedicated to the military. You should do a lot of research before entering into an academy.

big daddy russ
03-04-2003, 01:31 AM
Jimbotex40:
ok 3afan, name one div 2 or 3 school in texas where you can recieve a better education that any of the military academies

hmmm, the only one that comes to mind is trinity is san antonio, but that still doesnt even come close to any of the academiesMaybe not a better education per se, but definitely comparable. Mary Hardin-Baylor (business), East Texas Baptist (business), St. Mary's in San Antonio (journalism, business) and Texas A&M-Kingsville (engineering) have some of the best colleges in the state in the above mentioned majors. All are Division II or III schools.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
03-04-2003, 02:04 AM
3afan08:
jimbo - your reasoning for selecting a military academy over a D2 school is quite shallow.I personally don't care much about college level football, but in regards to being shallow, what jimbo said is nowhere near as shallow as people who insist on sending their children to private schools. (lower level, and high school) NOW THAT'S SHALLOW.