PDA

View Full Version : Primetime Live will be in Burnet tomorrow and Friday

BHS#1
11-05-2003, 08:09 PM
to file a story on the effect Texas High School Football has on small Texas communities. They will be interviewing townspeople, player, community leaders, coaches and others along with pep rally, lockerroom, etc. It is supposed to air in mid-December. eek! :) :cool: :) :o :p

<small>[ November 05, 2003, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: BHS#1 ]</small>

HotDawg89
11-05-2003, 08:19 PM
Yeah, I heard about that today from my Father-in-law who works within the school's administration. Neat huh?

I wonder if they will show what idiots people like us have become over a high-school sport. It should be interesting to see how it is edited and what it looks like from the outside looking in. :D eek!

ATTN BURNET FANS&gt;&gt;&gt; :o
Be on your best behavior. We are liable to be portrayed like a tornado victim from the south with no teeth, "I heard this sound a' comin' like that there train wistle...me oh my!" :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I hope it all goes over well! I really think people will get a good idea what it is like for small town people to have a big year in HS football!

This game is one of the top 5 games in the state this weekend according to the Austin American Statesman- and the Liberty Hill folks couldn't be a nicer group of people to share the spotlight. They have earned it too!

sharpie
11-05-2003, 08:20 PM
what time does the show start?

3afan2K3
11-05-2003, 08:22 PM
sharpie:
what time does the show start?its in december

PPHSfan
11-05-2003, 08:29 PM
Am I the only one who sees the Irony in calling this show "Prime Time Live" and then airing the show in December?

jason
11-05-2003, 08:29 PM
HotDawg89:
Yeah, I heard about that today from my Father-in-law who works within the school's administration. Neat huh?

I wonder if they will show what idiots people like us have become over a high-school sport. It should be interesting to see how it is edited and what it looks like from the outside looking in. :D eek!

Be on your best behavior. We are liable to be portrayed like a tornado victim from the south with no teeth, "I heard this sound a' comin' like that there train wistle...me oh my!" :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I hope it all goes over well! I really think people will get a good idea what it is like for small town people to have a big year in HS football!

This game is one of the top 5 games in the state this weekend according to the Austin American Statesman- and the Liberty Hill folks couldn't be a nicer group of people to share the spotlight. They have earned it too!lol...that would be a prefect representation of Burnet though :D Good to finally hear from ya again... :D

crzyjournalist03
11-05-2003, 08:31 PM
PPHSfan:
Am I the only one who sees the Irony in calling this show "Prime Time Live" and then airing the show in December?maybe they're like most of the world and thinks Burnet will be winning a state championship, so they'll broadcast the celebration live :rolleyes:

BHS#1
11-05-2003, 08:36 PM
This is so exciting I had to go back 4 pages to find a topic about Burnet. I think they are going to be at the Freshman game tomorrow. Cool

PAINTBALL
11-05-2003, 08:36 PM
Does anyone know where else they are going, and whether they play to show Texas Highschool football in a good or bad light. I just don't trust ABC Primetime. After "Friday Night Lights" we should all be reserved in our comments. They can sure make excitement about your team appear radical.

olddog73
11-05-2003, 08:49 PM
I wuz just goin down ta git a cilli dawg when I heard a loud noise a comin from tha crowd, people was a runnin and a screammin and a fallin out ta bleachers and then ah saw it. Melba Jean was a streakin across tha field in nothin but her birthday suit with a big green B painted on her back side, carrin two green pom poms, gawwww leee she had the spirit!!!! She sure waz purtty!

<small>[ November 05, 2003, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: olddog73 ]</small>

weatherag07
11-05-2003, 09:01 PM
ROFLMAO!
Anyway, do any of y'all Burnet students or residents know if they are interviewing the drill team???

oldengray1
11-05-2003, 09:25 PM
Sounds like a carefully crafted plan devised by Liberty Hill to distract the players from the real issue. I heard that the plan was discussed at the city council and then funded by a super wealthy LH alumni (possibly a media mogul) who wants to remain unnamed. What did you hear?

olddog73
11-05-2003, 09:43 PM
oldengray1:
Sounds like a carefully crafted plan devised by Liberty Hill to distract the players from the real issue. I heard that the plan was discussed at the city council and then funded by a super wealthy LH alumni (possibly a media mogul) who wants to remain unnamed. What did you hear?Shoot, they didnt have ta pay Melba Jean, she had da spirit!

<small>[ November 05, 2003, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: olddog73 ]</small>

olddawggreen
11-05-2003, 10:18 PM
This should be interesting to see how it turns out. I agree with Paintball, you can never be sure what kind of story they want to produce. A few years ago National Geographic did a story on rodeos. They basicly had a writer and a photographer travel the PRCA rodeo circut making friends with the contestants and other people involved with the rodeos in order to get their interviews. When the story was printed in the magazine it turned out to basicly be an animal rights story and it totally trashed the sport of rodeo. I was so mad I wrote a letter to the editor and canceled my membership. What a chop job. Hopefully this story will shine a good light on the sport and Texas Highschool Football overall. We will see.

<small>[ November 05, 2003, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: olddawggreen ]</small>

lepfan
11-05-2003, 11:03 PM
crzyjournalist03:

PPHSfan:
Am I the only one who sees the Irony in calling this show "Prime Time Live" and then airing the show in December?maybe they're like most of the world and thinks Burnet will be winning a state championship, so they'll broadcast the celebration live :rolleyes: "most of the world" is exagerating a bit wouldn't you say...more like "most of central texas", "most of the world is probably going to say "where the he!! is Burnet"

olddawggreen
11-05-2003, 11:22 PM
lepfan:

crzyjournalist03:

PPHSfan:
Am I the only one who sees the Irony in calling this show "Prime Time Live" and then airing the show in December?maybe they're like most of the world and thinks Burnet will be winning a state championship, so they'll broadcast the celebration live :rolleyes: "most of the world" is exagerating a bit wouldn't you say...more like "most of central texas", "most of the world is probably going to say "where the he!! is Burnet"

olddawggreen
11-05-2003, 11:24 PM
lepfan:

crzyjournalist03:

PPHSfan:
Am I the only one who sees the Irony in calling this show "Prime Time Live" and then airing the show in December?maybe they're like most of the world and thinks Burnet will be winning a state championship, so they'll broadcast the celebration live :rolleyes: "most of the world" is exagerating a bit wouldn't you say...more like "most of central texas", "most of the world is probably going to say "where the he!! is Burnet"Hey lepfan, is Lucas Bakery still turning out those unbelievable pig in the blankets every morning?

lepfan
11-06-2003, 02:50 AM
olddawggreen:

lepfan:

crzyjournalist03:

PPHSfan:
Am I the only one who sees the Irony in calling this show "Prime Time Live" and then airing the show in December?maybe they're like most of the world and thinks Burnet will be winning a state championship, so they'll broadcast the celebration live :rolleyes: "most of the world" is exagerating a bit wouldn't you say...more like "most of central texas", "most of the world is probably going to say "where the he!! is Burnet"Hey lepfan, is Lucas Bakery still turning out those unbelievable pig in the blankets every morning?Yes they are...but, I think Weikel's Bakery has BETTER ones...I don't much care for Lucas' pigs...

LH Panther Mom
11-06-2003, 06:42 AM
olddog73:

oldengray1:
Sounds like a carefully crafted plan devised by Liberty Hill to distract the players from the real issue. I heard that the plan was discussed at the city council and then funded by a super wealthy LH alumni (possibly a media mogul) who wants to remain unnamed. What did you hear?Shoot, they didnt have ta pay Melba Jean, she had da spirit!You stole the words right out of my mouth. ROFL :D

olddog73
11-06-2003, 07:39 AM
lepfan:

olddawggreen:

lepfan:

crzyjournalist03:

PPHSfan:
Am I the only one who sees the Irony in calling this show "Prime Time Live" and then airing the show in December?maybe they're like most of the world and thinks Burnet will be winning a state championship, so they'll broadcast the celebration live :rolleyes: "most of the world" is exagerating a bit wouldn't you say...more like "most of central texas", "most of the world is probably going to say "where the he!! is Burnet"Hey lepfan, is Lucas Bakery still turning out those unbelievable pig in the blankets every morning?Yes they are...but, I think Weikel's Bakery has BETTER ones...I don't much care for Lucas' pigs...

<small>[ November 27, 2003, 03:20 AM: Message edited by: olddog73 ]</small>

olddawggreen
11-06-2003, 07:51 AM
I agree with you Olddog 73, Lucas pigs are addictive! Ive bought a lot of oil and gas leases in and around Fayette County over the years and always try to pick some up when I can.
wink wink

<small>[ November 27, 2003, 03:59 AM: Message edited by: olddawggreen ]</small>

BulldogGrl64
11-06-2003, 09:32 AM
olddog73:
I wuz just goin down ta git a cilli dawg when I heard a loud noise a comin from tha crowd, people was a runnin and a screammin and a fallin out ta bleachers and then ah saw it. Melba Jean was a streakin across tha field in nothin but her birthday suit with a big green B painted on her back side, carrin two green pom poms, gawwww leee she had the spirit!!!! She sure waz purtty!ROFLMAO :D

CatWoman
11-06-2003, 09:34 AM
That is neat. But I agree about being careful. I have never seen anything done about Texas that I considered to be flattering. Those New Yorkers will never understand the high school footbal phenomenon in Texas, so enjoy every minute of this stellar year and good luck to the Burnet Bulldogs. Finish it out with the BIG ONE!!!

BigChamp05
11-06-2003, 09:57 AM
Did ya'll read the sports illustrated article about Smithson Valley-West Lake rivalry. It was pretty cool. This is gonna be much better though. I wish it was, um.....last year against, ummm........Bandera, so maybe i could have been on tv. lol

Bongo
11-06-2003, 11:31 AM
Burnet; be careful of ABC. It's either going to be a really positive piece or it's going to be a chop job. It just depends upon how the interviews go and you won't know which direction they take until the program is aired. They are masters of deception. Through sound bites and editing they can make it good or make Texas football fans look like a bunch of hicks. As I stated on another thread, if I were in that position, I would not allow any of my children permission to be interviewed. Just my take.

weatherag07
11-06-2003, 11:45 AM
BigChamp05:
Did ya'll read the sports illustrated article about Smithson Valley-West Lake rivalry. It was pretty cool. This is gonna be much better though. I wish it was, um.....last year against, ummm........Bandera, so maybe i could have been on tv. lolFor real...I hear ya! frown

5livecrew
11-06-2003, 01:32 PM
HotDawg89:

This game is one of the top 5 games in the state this weekend according to the Austin American Statesman- and the Liberty Hill folks couldn't be a nicer group of people to share the spotlight. They have earned it too!

5livecrew
11-06-2003, 01:36 PM
just a note from an outsider...Burnet has a fine program worthy of Prime Time Live...but having worked the 7 on 7 state championship game, I was taken aback by the actions of one particular fan. In fact, she came out of the stands after the game, charging one of my co-officials. She had to be restrained by one of the TAMU police officers. Win or lose, Burnet has a fine program and this type of behavior might be what ABC is looking for. Hope it doesn't happen when the camera's are rolling. Good luck!

Chris Hart
11-06-2003, 06:52 PM
5livecrew:
just a note from an outsider...Burnet has a fine program worthy of Prime Time Live...but having worked the 7 on 7 state championship game, I was taken aback by the actions of one particular fan. In fact, she came out of the stands after the game, charging one of my co-officials. She had to be restrained by one of the TAMU police officers. Win or lose, Burnet has a fine program and this type of behavior might be what ABC is looking for. Hope it doesn't happen when the camera's are rolling. Good luck!I apologize for my wife's rude behavior. I've tried and tried to teach Melba, that while attacking officials to use nothing but an open hand, and a few mat maneuvers. Melba Jean HAS been known to get a little carried away. :D :) :p

<small>[ November 06, 2003, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Chris Hart ]</small>

Hot Rod
11-06-2003, 07:29 PM
I think its nice that the small towns are reconized and two teams so close together ,makes for a good rivelry . Hoping we have a good game and a fight to the end good luck Libertyhill

GoForIt
11-06-2003, 10:19 PM
HotDawg89:

This game is one of the top 5 games in the state this weekend according to the Austin American Statesman- and the Liberty Hill folks couldn't be a nicer group of people to share the spotlight. They have earned it too!This is precisely what happened about 8 years ago when 48 Hours spent a week in Madisonville in the town's preparation for a homecoming "hootenanny" against Navasota and it turned out to make Madison County look like something out of Mississippi Burning. TV producers have a way of twisting the angle to advance their sensationalistic agenda. Be careful!

olddawggreen
11-07-2003, 12:13 AM
5livecrew:
just a note from an outsider...Burnet has a fine program worthy of Prime Time Live...but having worked the 7 on 7 state championship game, I was taken aback by the actions of one particular fan. In fact, she came out of the stands after the game, charging one of my co-officials. She had to be restrained by one of the TAMU police officers. Win or lose, Burnet has a fine program and this type of behavior might be what ABC is looking for. Hope it doesn't happen when the camera's are rolling. Good luck!I witnessed the incedent you are speaking of and I have to say that while the lady was definatly giving your co official a piece of her mind, she had no intention of "charging" him. She was however very upset with him over some of his bad calls and the fact that your co official had just yelled "morons" at he crowd. I agree that the crowd became more vocal than I would have liked for them to but we had just had this same official call one of our games a little earlier and he made some very bad calls during that game also. A couple were witnessed by one of your other co officials who as he was passing by, commented to the crowd what a bad call this official had made. Basicly your co official was one of the worst officials that I personally have witnessed in a long time.

But you have made a very good point with your post, it is very easy to twist things around from what they really are.

Hottogo
11-07-2003, 10:52 AM
olddawggreen:

5livecrew:
just a note from an outsider...Burnet has a fine program worthy of Prime Time Live...but having worked the 7 on 7 state championship game, I was taken aback by the actions of one particular fan. In fact, she came out of the stands after the game, charging one of my co-officials. She had to be restrained by one of the TAMU police officers. Win or lose, Burnet has a fine program and this type of behavior might be what ABC is looking for. Hope it doesn't happen when the camera's are rolling. Good luck!I witnessed the incedent you are speaking of and I have to say that while the lady was definatly giving your co official a piece of her mind, she had no intention of "charging" him. She was however very upset with him over some of his bad calls and the fact that your co official had just yelled "morons" at he crowd. I agree that the crowd became more vocal than I would have liked for them to but we had just had this same official call one of our games a little earlier and he made some very bad calls during that game also. A couple were witnessed by one of your other co officials who as he was passing by, commented to the crowd what a bad call this official had made. Basicly your co official was one of the worst officials that I personally have witnessed in a long time.

But you have made a very good point with your post, it is very easy to twist things around from what they really are.I witnessed the same thing, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. That was the first time I have ever seen an official yell an insult to a crowd of fans at a sporting event. It was very unprofessional on his part, but based on some of the calls he made that day I guess it shouldn't have suprise me. And 5livecrew, as far as the threat from the Burnet fan that you described as charging your official, she is was one of the mothers of one of our players and while she was pretty upset with your co official, this mom, who is probably about 5'6" 110 lbs ? was not charging on to the field to attack anyone, she was going on to the field to be with the team like everyone else. She was however verbly expressing her discust with your co official as she entered the field. I was very near by when the TAMU officer stoped her, at no time did the officer lay a hand on her or "restrain" her as you have said. The officer was just doing her job but at no time was your official under any physical threat from this lady, he was twice her size. By your name I gather your involved with the media and from the way you have described this incedent in your post it would appear you have had some practice with distorting the facts of a story. I can give you a list of witnesses that saw the same thing I did.

<small>[ November 07, 2003, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: Hottogo ]</small>

olddog73
11-07-2003, 04:37 PM
Things do seem to get twisted a bit, don't they! :confused:

5livecrew
11-10-2003, 12:16 PM
Hottogo:

olddawggreen:

5livecrew:

But you have made a very good point with your post, it is very easy to twist things around from what they really are.I witnessed the same thing, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. That was the first time I have ever seen an official yell an insult to a crowd of fans at a sporting event. It was very unprofessional on his part, but based on some of the calls he made that day I guess it shouldn't have suprise me. And 5livecrew, as far as the threat from the Burnet fan that you described as charging your official, she is was one of the mothers of one of our players and while she was pretty upset with your co official, this mom, who is probably about 5'6" 110 lbs ? was not charging on to the field to attack anyone, she was going on to the field to be with the team like everyone else. She was however verbly expressing her discust with your co official as she entered the field. I was very near by when the TAMU officer stoped her, at no time did the officer lay a hand on her or "restrain" her as you have said. The officer was just doing her job but at no time was your official under any physical threat from this lady, he was twice her size. By your name I gather your involved with the media and from the way you have described this incedent in your post it would appear you have had some practice with distorting the facts of a story. I can give you a list of witnesses that saw the same thing I did.

5livecrew
11-10-2003, 12:28 PM
First things first...I understand that in the heat of competition, and when our kids are involved, we, as parents tend to get a little excited. As for the official who you claim made some pretty bad calls in an earlier game, since I wasn't involved in that game I have no response. However, I was involved in the championship game, and, no, I am not involved in the media. When I said she attacked, or attempted to attack that official, put yourself in our position. When a parent or fan or whomever, comes out of the stands and angrily approaches an official, they're doing so for one reason. Things didn't go Burnet's way that afternoon and whether or not she felt it was the official's fault, that's her right. However, no one, absolutely no one has the right to charge after an official, even if just to express their opinion. I'm sure that losing that game, she felt it was the official's fault. My concern is, what message did she send to the players. If you lose, blame the officials. We are not perfect, we make mistakes, although we work very hard not to. If that official was as poor as you claim, he wouldn't have been working the championship game. As for me, I was the official who stepped in between her and my co-official. The officer (and it was a guy) did his job. You are correct, he never had to put a hand on her, although she did do alot of chest poking on me, trying to get to my partner. Bottom line is this...if the network is going to do a show about Burnet and the small town football atmosphere, I'm sure this isn't the picture Burnet fans want broadcast across the state or country. The program has too much class and the kids have worked too hard to get where they are only to have their reputation tarnished by an out of control parent. Remember, there are three teams on the field: The home team, the visiting team, and the officiating team...all three working hard to do the right things. My daughter didn't come out of the stands after the game, upset that Burnet's tightend dropped a pass in the endzone...Officials aren't the bad guys. Our job is to make sure the contest is played as fairly as possible. Good luck to Burnet, I enjoyed getting to work with those guys this summer.

bd0707
11-10-2003, 12:48 PM
5livecrew:
First things first...I understand that in the heat of competition, and when our kids are involved, we, as parents tend to get a little excited. As for the official who you claim made some pretty bad calls in an earlier game, since I wasn't involved in that game I have no response. However, I was involved in the championship game, and, no, I am not involved in the media. When I said she attacked, or attempted to attack that official, put yourself in our position. When a parent or fan or whomever, comes out of the stands and angrily approaches an official, they're doing so for one reason. Things didn't go Burnet's way that afternoon and whether or not she felt it was the official's fault, that's her right. However, no one, absolutely no one has the right to charge after an official, even if just to express their opinion. I'm sure that losing that game, she felt it was the official's fault. My concern is, what message did she send to the players. If you lose, blame the officials. We are not perfect, we make mistakes, although we work very hard not to. If that official was as poor as you claim, he wouldn't have been working the championship game. As for me, I was the official who stepped in between her and my co-official. The officer (and it was a guy) did his job. You are correct, he never had to put a hand on her, although she did do alot of chest poking on me, trying to get to my partner. Bottom line is this...if the network is going to do a show about Burnet and the small town football atmosphere, I'm sure this isn't the picture Burnet fans want broadcast across the state or country. The program has too much class and the kids have worked too hard to get where they are only to have their reputation tarnished by an out of control parent. Remember, there are three teams on the field: The home team, the visiting team, and the officiating team...all three working hard to do the right things. My daughter didn't come out of the stands after the game, upset that Burnet's tightend dropped a pass in the endzone...Officials aren't the bad guys. Our job is to make sure the contest is played as fairly as possible. Good luck to Burnet, I enjoyed getting to work with those guys this summer.That is really not very fair Silvercrew, you come on here being very sane, rational, and insightful, not leaving anything open for arguement. That is a little uncalled for don't you think? :D :D :D :D

espn1
11-10-2003, 02:09 PM
bd0707:

5livecrew:
First things first...I understand that in the heat of competition, and when our kids are involved, we, as parents tend to get a little excited. As for the official who you claim made some pretty bad calls in an earlier game, since I wasn't involved in that game I have no response. However, I was involved in the championship game, and, no, I am not involved in the media. When I said she attacked, or attempted to attack that official, put yourself in our position. When a parent or fan or whomever, comes out of the stands and angrily approaches an official, they're doing so for one reason. Things didn't go Burnet's way that afternoon and whether or not she felt it was the official's fault, that's her right. However, no one, absolutely no one has the right to charge after an official, even if just to express their opinion. I'm sure that losing that game, she felt it was the official's fault. My concern is, what message did she send to the players. If you lose, blame the officials. We are not perfect, we make mistakes, although we work very hard not to. If that official was as poor as you claim, he wouldn't have been working the championship game. As for me, I was the official who stepped in between her and my co-official. The officer (and it was a guy) did his job. You are correct, he never had to put a hand on her, although she did do alot of chest poking on me, trying to get to my partner. Bottom line is this...if the network is going to do a show about Burnet and the small town football atmosphere, I'm sure this isn't the picture Burnet fans want broadcast across the state or country. The program has too much class and the kids have worked too hard to get where they are only to have their reputation tarnished by an out of control parent. Remember, there are three teams on the field: The home team, the visiting team, and the officiating team...all three working hard to do the right things. My daughter didn't come out of the stands after the game, upset that Burnet's tightend dropped a pass in the endzone...Officials aren't the bad guys. Our job is to make sure the contest is played as fairly as possible. Good luck to Burnet, I enjoyed getting to work with those guys this summer.That is really not very fair Silvercrew, you come on here being very sane, rational, and insightful, not leaving anything open for arguement. That is a little uncalled for don't you think? :D :D :D :D Good Post! If you were there then you have to know that he was going out of his way to make bad calls. Many of his calls were pre-four second calls. Fair wasn't on his mind. It was the fans that kept him in check. I do have to say that he had no bearing on Burnet's loss to Permian. But! He tried to get them to the losers bracket.

5livecrew
11-10-2003, 02:39 PM
bd0707...you have me confused with someone other than an official...you referred to me as sane, insightfull...remember, I wear the stripes on Friday nights...the point of my post is that I think it's awesome that Burnet will be featured on national TV...and sometimes officials make mistakes...but no rational official would take a game or work a game with any preconceived notions of favoring one team over another. I know to the team on the short end of the score it appears that way, but as a whole it's just simply not true. I haven't received my playoff assignment yet, who knows, I could end up working the Burnet game...wouldn't that be a hoot!

olddawggreen
11-10-2003, 05:45 PM
5livecrew:
bd0707...you have me confused with someone other than an official...you referred to me as sane, insightfull...remember, I wear the stripes on Friday nights...the point of my post is that I think it's awesome that Burnet will be featured on national TV...and sometimes officials make mistakes...but no rational official would take a game or work a game with any preconceived notions of favoring one team over another. I know to the team on the short end of the score it appears that way, but as a whole it's just simply not true. I haven't received my playoff assignment yet, who knows, I could end up working the Burnet game...wouldn't that be a hoot!5livecrew, I am not a fan that loses control during a sporting event. I understand the importance of the officials and totally appreciate their effort and hard work. It is definatly not an easy job. I know that some fans can become very heated during a game. But I also know that even though a person is an official, he can make mistakes, some officials are very good and don't make many, (every one can make mistakes it just happens in life)and some are sub par and make too many. Based on what I personally saw, your co official would have fallen into the second catagory that day. But be that as it may, thats just the way it goes sometimes and we have all have to accept that.
But what I don't think is acceptable from an official is for him to stand on the field and yell "morons" or anything else that may come to his mind, to a crowd that is already heated over what they believe are bad calls. Talk about adding fuel to the fire!
I would like to hear your opinion on this matter, is this type of action acceptable or profesional from an official of your caliber or at an event of this importance?
I know what I saw and heard and at the point the lady you refered to was "charging onto the field", she was much more angry about your co official yelling moron at the crowd than she was about losing the game.
My gosh, there is certainly no shame in losing to a team like Permian Odessa. And if you do draw Burnet in the play offs, you will find that they are normaly a great bunch of fans. Just be fair and be profesional, thats all any team has a right to ask. They have all worked very hard to get there.

5livecrew
11-11-2003, 10:44 AM
You are correct...no official should ever, ever, getting into an exchange with fans, where utterences such as "moron" are thrown in the direction of the fans. I didn't hear it, but if he said it, he was wrong. True, he may have felt like some of the fans were acting like morons, but as officials, we have to have thicker skin than that. Trust me, I've heard lots worse aimed in my direction through the years and all you can do is ignore it. The funniest thing I ever had offered was at a baseball tournament in Brenham several years ago. One of the visiting teams had a dad sit right behind home plate and his sole purpose was to rattle the plate umpire (me). He yelled everything in the world to get me out of my game. Finally, about the 5th inning, he hollered "Oh, now I get it, the umpire must be left-handed". Well, that one got me, and I just cracked up. In those days, umpires had to dress in the parking lot. After the game, as we were changing, this guy approached. Not knowing his temper (his team finally won the game), he came up and introduced himself, laughing, congratulating me. Said he tried everything he could to get me out of my game, but just ran out of ideas. I told him good job. I enjoyed working for him and we both had a good laugh. I now follow his team, don't know why, just some connection I guess.

Bongo
11-11-2003, 10:57 AM
5livecrew, thanks for the job you and other officials do for high school sports. I know many times it's a thankless job, but we probably wouldn't have high school sports if it were not for the job you guys do.

And for the record, I've never said anything negative to an official. Well, maybe that's a stretch. Thanks!

5livecrew
11-11-2003, 12:27 PM
Bongo: if we didn't get yelled at, we'd feel unloved!

5livecrew
11-11-2003, 12:28 PM
By the way, I got my playoff assignment and it's not Burnet. Good luck to Burnet anyway...

olddawggreen
11-11-2003, 02:35 PM
5livecrew:
You are correct...no official should ever, ever, getting into an exchange with fans, where utterences such as "moron" are thrown in the direction of the fans. I didn't hear it, but if he said it, he was wrong. True, he may have felt like some of the fans were acting like morons, but as officials, we have to have thicker skin than that. Trust me, I've heard lots worse aimed in my direction through the years and all you can do is ignore it. The funniest thing I ever had offered was at a baseball tournament in Brenham several years ago. One of the visiting teams had a dad sit right behind home plate and his sole purpose was to rattle the plate umpire (me). He yelled everything in the world to get me out of my game. Finally, about the 5th inning, he hollered "Oh, now I get it, the umpire must be left-handed". Well, that one got me, and I just cracked up. In those days, umpires had to dress in the parking lot. After the game, as we were changing, this guy approached. Not knowing his temper (his team finally won the game), he came up and introduced himself, laughing, congratulating me. Said he tried everything he could to get me out of my game, but just ran out of ideas. I told him good job. I enjoyed working for him and we both had a good laugh. I now follow his team, don't know why, just some connection I guess.Thanks for an honest answer, it was very unfortunate that things went the way they did that afternoon. If you still work with the officail in question, you might mention to him that its not a good idea to yell things at an angry crowd. And for the record, I appreciate the job you do, its a very tough job that I know I could't do. You guys must do it for all that money they pay you, wink wink , just joking. By the way theres a really good article on the front page of the Dallas Morning News sports section this morning about high school football officials and the job they do. If you haven't seen it you should try to get a copy of it. (If your not able to get one, pm me and I will send you the copy I have). You will probably enjoy it. Good luck with your play off schedule. P.S. I guess I had better ask, your 7on7 co-official didn't draw Burnet did he?

<small>[ November 11, 2003, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: olddawggreen ]</small>

5livecrew
11-11-2003, 02:45 PM
Now that made me laugh...no, he didn't get Burnet, but he did get a game. And thanks for understanding, as for the big bucks...only the guys on Sundays get that...we do it for completely different reasons. and thanks for the heads up on the Dallas newspaper article...

olddawggreen
11-11-2003, 02:55 PM
Your welcome, its a pretty big article with about 4 photos. You will probably know some of these guys.