PDA

View Full Version : Commerce

Gobbla2001
01-14-2002, 09:41 AM
I would like to say 'congrats' on another championship... But I just wanted to know your feelings on this year's team, I mean, it's obvious you 'loved' the guys, but don't you just think that the Commerce teams in the past were 10 times better? Like the '97 team was awesome, saw them play Sealy, and the '99 team beat Sealy at state (was there too, sorry, just had family from Sealy, never really a fan, they beat us a lot too, we've only beat 'em once) and I have to admit the '97 Commerce team would have rolled all over the '99 and this year's team... I just wanted to know if you guys noticed a change in the size of your athletes like I've noticed the change in the size of our's here in Cuero and in the rest of 3A...

ethsfbnut
01-14-2002, 03:23 PM
Gobbla...Have to agree that the overall talent of the `01 team would not match up with the `97 or `99 team. Really believe the most overall talented team was the `95 team that lost to Sealy 21-20. That team was loaded with speed and talent. Commerce has never really had big, huge lineman so would not say this past years team was smaller than any of the years past.

Aside, the `01 team probably came together after the Forney game (took time to get used to yet another head coach and system) and the momentum just kept growing every week. Have to really credit the kids and all the coaches for stepping it up another notch and hanging on to beat a very good La Grange team.

You`re correct, we love the Tigers and for an oldtimer it`s great to have your team mentioned with the elite of Texas 3-A football. Know what you`re talking about with Sealy. Took Commerce three tries, but we finally beat `em. Luck to `ya.

Tigerbite_93
01-15-2002, 01:28 PM
The best team for sure was the 95 team. Kerrie Washington, Brandon Sims, Joe Reynolds, and Matt Webber were all great players. The 97 team, with Hines at QB, Sienty, and Winston at WR were very exciting to watch. The 99 state championship team were bigger, and wanted it bad. I think the new 2001 state championship Commerce Tigers would've lost to all three of the previous teams by more than 2 touchdowns. But, you have to give those smaller guys credit for hanging in there after all the bad writings about them, coaching changes, and losing early to Alvarado, and Forney. I really don't think Commerce is finished. They are reloading and will be back in a couple of years.....I promise

Gobbla2001
01-15-2002, 07:40 PM
yah... Sealy beat us a lot...

1988: We were ranked #1, Sealy 9 Cuero 8
1995: Regionals Sealy 17 Cuero 14
1996: First Round Sealy 35 Cuero 0
1997: Regionals Sealy 31 Cuero 0
1998: Reg. Season Sealy 10 Cuero 3
1999: Reg. Season Sealy 26 Cuero 3
2000: (My senior year and last shot at Sealy) Sealy 21 Cuero 22 OT (Woo Hoo!!!)
2001: Reg. Season Sealy 20 (or 23 or something) Cuero 13 (we were up 13-0 at half)....

they play no games....