PDA

View Full Version : Add this school to 3A next fall

wildstangs
12-17-2003, 08:07 PM
Ranchview ready to get settled
New Irving football team awaiting its district destination

05:44 PM CST on Wednesday, December 17, 2003

By BRANDON GEORGE / The Dallas Morning News

Ranchview athletic coordinator Bill Persinger has been trapped in a beauty shop-like bubble for the last several months.

Gossip has been flying everywhere concerning what district the newest school in the Carrollton-Farmers Branch ISD could land in once it begins varsity play in fall 2004.

"You hear all the rumors about them doing one thing or another all the time," Persinger said. "There are several possibilities."

Irving

Leaderboard: Football

For more sports stories from Irving, check out the bureau archive

Though Ranchview coaches won't find out officially until the UIL redistricting Feb. 2, Persinger said he has a good idea of where Ranchview could end up.

Persinger said he's almost certain Ranchview, which is actually located in Irving, would open as a Class 3A school with an enrollment of about 700 students (freshmen, sophomores and juniors). The C-FB ISD's other schools – Creekview, Newman Smith and R.L. Turner – are 5A schools. When the UIL last realigned in 2002, the enrollment range for 3A schools was 345 to 899. Though that range is expected to expand, Persinger said, Ranchview would probably still fit into the 3A window.

Persinger, the school's football coach, said that Ranchview could end up aligned within Region I or Region II, depending mostly on which region the other three C-FB ISD schools are placed in. Persinger said he believes the UIL wouldn't place Ranchview in a different region than the school district's other three schools.

If Ranchview were placed in Region I, it probably would be grouped with current schools in District 7-3A: Bridgeport, Decatur, Lake Dallas, Lake Worth, Little Elm and Sanger. A Region II placement probably would put Ranchview among District 13-3A schools Crandall, Madison, Pinkston, Ferris, Forney, Kaufman and Wilmer-Hutchins.

"Either district will have some really great coaches in it," Persinger said. "I'm looking forward to the challenges we're about to face. It will be very, very competitive."

Starting a new school is challenging enough. Persinger went through the process as a defensive coordinator at Creekview when it opened in 1998 and was one of the first on board when Ranchview opened in fall 2002.

"I said after Creekview that I wouldn't do this again, but here I am," Persinger said, laughing.

Ranchview played a junior varsity schedule in football this fall and finished 9-1 against mostly teams from 4A and 5A. The school didn't field a second football team, and that could be a problem down the road, said Garry Monty, Creekview's football coach since the school opened.

"Not having a freshman team this year will hurt him two years from now," Monty said. "He just won't have any depth."

Persinger said he plans to carry about 42 varsity players next season – a big roster for a 3A program – and field a sub-varsity team. Persinger said his team would run a spread offense and a multiple-formation defense.

The coaches aren't sure who they'll be playing. Monty said that what region the other three C-FB ISD schools are placed in would have no effect on Ranchview.

"Who knows what the UIL will do, but I don't think they'll pay too much attention to regions," Monty said. "The UIL is more worried about proximity of teams in the same district."

Persinger said Ranchview could reach 4A status at the next realignment in 2006, and expects Ranchview to be a 5A school within four to six years.

That could be a bit optimistic, however, considering the amount of transient students within the Ranchview boundaries in Irving, Persinger said.

"We have a ton of apartments out here, so a lot of parents move in and out a lot," Persinger said. "The ones who are steady out here are in the homes, and the homes are expensive in this area."

Persinger said there is room to grow around Ranchview with a lot of undeveloped land. Two elementary schools and a junior high school are already in the works, he said. Right now, only Barbara Bush Middle School feeds into Ranchview.

"Everybody is really excited to get going out here," Persinger said.

E-mail bgeorge@dallasnews.com

jason
12-17-2003, 09:16 PM
a 3A school in carollton? ill believe it when i see it...