PDA

View Full Version : Giddings Overated

oldbuff78
09-08-2002, 05:31 PM
I knew Giddings would have a down year, but I felt sorry for our guys when I see what kind of Coaching we had Friday night. Why the board went with this choice I have no idea.
WHen they hired Warrick, mcCaig, and Ivey I knew they had something. Being a retired coach, and fan, I am highly sad.
Collier-sharp had them #11, I want those boys to do great, but the year looks dim!!

lex11
09-08-2002, 06:25 PM
I think its too early to count them out.What they lost one last year at the start.

Pudlugger
09-08-2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by oldbuff78:
I knew Giddings would have a down year, but I felt sorry for our guys when I see what kind of Coaching we had Friday night. Why the board went with this choice I have no idea.
WHen they hired Warrick, mcCaig, and Ivey I knew they had something. Being a retired coach, and fan, I am highly sad.
Collier-sharp had them #11, I want those boys to do great, but the year looks dim!!

Hey, I'm from La Grange, but I have noticed you really have a funny tick or something about this coaching staff. What is this all about? Somebody get passed over or what? Give the new coach a chance,its only week 1.

Chopblock
09-08-2002, 07:13 PM
Give the staff a chance, I know one of the new coaches well.
The offense will take time and I understand the defense was on th field mos of the 1st half.
Remember, Giddings lost alot of talent

oldbuff78
09-08-2002, 08:21 PM
I guess having been a coach and seeing what happened friday night just makes me mad. We lost a lot of great guys, but what I saw was poor coaching. Just bare with me and wait and lets see! I hope the Buffs finish at least third.

PISSonU
09-08-2002, 08:54 PM
Giddings might be a tad spoiled after last season. New coaches bring in new systems. McCaig inherited a strong list of returners from Warrick and it may take some time. If a new coach wins 4-5 games, look for good thing in the future. He has to get used to a whole new psyche, after all. Cobia has been in Caldwell three years and not until now does his revamped system show some potential after graduating a group of ball-hog duds who tried to force the letter "I" in "TEAM."

buffalo booster
09-09-2002, 08:06 AM
I, too, was disappointed in the outcome of the Giddings/Rockdale game. But, I don't believe that we can pin this loss entirely on the coaching staff.

Rockdale had a 3-point lead and 4th and short deep in the Giddings end of the field late in the 4th quarter. Instead of kicking a chip shot field goal to give them a 6-point lead, they went for it and made the 1st down by the length of the football. Two plays later, they scored the clinching TD. If the Giddings defense would've held, the outcome of the game could've been different. (And if frogs had wings, they wouldn't land so hard on their butts...)

Inexperience + a few mistakes cost the Buffs this game. Too many catchable passes (at least 5) were dropped or bounced off receivers into the Rockdale D. Passing game was 5-14-3. Game film clearly shows that it could've/should've been 10-14-2.

I agree that the coaching was questionable at times. I don't agree with the shuttling of the QBs (will get into this in another posting) and the playcalling has got to improve. Having Green line up at QB and running three straight sweeps to the left, for a net game of 2 yards, and then punting, is not what I would call a very imaginative offense...

I don't want to take too much away from Rockdale. They beat us. But, the Buffs also beat themselves this game.

I hope that the kids can recover from this disappointing game. If not, an 0-4 start is not out of the realm of possibility with road games against Columbus, Yoakum, and Cameron Yoe coming up during the next 3 weeks.

exguru
09-09-2002, 09:34 AM
I saw the Giddings game on Friday night too. I can agree totally with Old Buff, as this is gonna be a long year for the Buffaloes, and yes, "coaching" will be the main reason. Yes , the Buffs graduated HEAVY, but there remains enough talent at the skill positions to be decent. I said all along that it would be a mistake to keep Green at QB. He throws well and runs great, but he'd be a much better threat dotting the "I" and getting 25 to 30 carries a game. (He's probably one of the best Tailbacks in the district) Anyway, if the Buffs are gonna be successful they've got to get the ball into his hands more. He didn't play a down of offense in the 1st Quarter.
As for as the coaching, it's a joke!! The team was not prepared, undisciplined, and executed horribly. (No doubt why, as their first day of two-a-days they didn't even touch a football, either practice?) This offense has to have the right personnel, and we don't have it. We'd be o.k. if we'd line up and play real football!! Yes, the coach is new, but that's no excuse for what we saw Friday Night. Rockdale is not very good, so it's gonna be a long year for the Buffs. I predict, if lucky, 1-4 in non-district, and maybe 3-2 in a weak district with wins over Hutto, Smithville and Manor. One of those games will determine if the Buffs make the play-offs as the #3 team!
OldBuff, I thought you were coaching in San Antonio? You already retired? Mighty young to retire if you played for the Horns when you said you did?

buffalo booster
09-09-2002, 10:31 AM
I agree. Green needs to get the ball more often. Line him up at tailback and let him run. Also, rather than throwing downfield to inexperienced receivers (wish we still had Daniels and Ray to go to...) we need to try a few short passes to Green and Nicks out of the backfield. Nicks has good hands and he also has breakaway speed.

There are some talented kids on this team but, if we don't utilize their skills, this will be a long year. All of the nondistrict games will be tough and your prediction, although hard to accept at this point, may well prove to be true.

oldbuff78
09-09-2002, 06:45 PM
Remember when I told you that Green would be at QB and you thought I was crazy? I know how some coaches think. I would take a hard look at Alexander for QB. Yes, I retired from coaching. I now work for recruiting firm. So, i will be watching many teams!!!!

PISSonU
09-09-2002, 10:52 PM
If the clowns who have written comments about hoping for one win in non-district was implying that it will be against Caldwell, don't be too overly confident. They haven't forgotten the past two years and they have the talent to make you 0-5. It was obvious from comments on here that the team could go 0-4 that it is ASSUMED that the first win would be vs. Caldwell is an insult.It might be close either way, but don't downgrade the Hornets this soon. Beating Madisonville on the road was a huge confidence booster and the Mustangs have made the playoffs the past three years.

exguru
09-10-2002, 08:00 AM
Old Buff,
Yeah right? Let's see, you played for t.u. in two bowl games. Last year you say you were living in Giddings, but coaching in San Antonio. (Mighty long daily commute if you ask me!) Now your retired and working for a "recruiting firm." Well, if so, then why in the world would you be watching Giddings and Rockdale? I think your full of it!!

buffalo booster
09-10-2002, 09:44 AM
exguru -
Good luck trying to pin him down! oldbuff has posted quite a few "inconsistencies" over the past year. Trying to be anonymous is one thing - that's why we can post under a chosen user name. But, misrepresenting yourself in an effort to somehow establish credibility actually has the opposite effect...

As for the young man in Snook -- calling yourself PISSonU and accusing other folks of being "clowns" is pretty ironic, don't you think? No one is knocking Caldwell. Their victory over Madisonville was very impressive.

But, Giddings has one of the toughest 3A schedules in the State. After losing their first game, at home, they go on the road to face Columbus, Yoakum, and Cameron before coming back home to play Caldwell. At this point in time, you have to admit that a home game against Caldwell, at least on paper, looks to be an "easier" game. But, hell, if we start out 0-4, we might as well go 0-5 before we start district. (Then again, I don't want to offend any of the teams in our district...!)

Lighten up, PISSonU. I hope the Hornets keep on winning, and that Giddings already has a victory or two before we play y'all. Either way, though, we'll be looking forward to our next home game on October 4.

oldbuff78
09-10-2002, 12:49 PM
Hey Exguru, the answers are Yes, Yes, No UT, Yes, Yes, and did not commute daily, and yes.
Shows how much you and BBooster know about coaching and football. It's amazing how much I have said has happened!!

exguru
09-10-2002, 02:33 PM
Old Buff,
Just because YOU disagree with me doesn't mean you know more about coaching or football. THere are many things you claimed to know, and it's a fact that you were WRONG!
Example, you called McCaig an "Offensive Genius" and several other people besides myself have chimed in to dis-prove that. And you said that J. Green would be starting at QB - wrong again - Matt Degarolami is the starter at the moment. I said Green would be better at tailback - which is a FACT!! Ask anyone who knows about Giddings Football! Anyway, you must not be much of a recruiting guru if you were watching Giddings and Rockdale!

Lou
09-10-2002, 02:44 PM
Hey oldbuff I think you and i used to coach together. I dont want to give away your anonymity so i am not going to mention any names. But didnt you retire around 94 or 95. Maybe some of your takes on the new buffs are valid.

"go hard or go home"

oldbuff78
09-10-2002, 06:02 PM
Exguru, how do you gage a guy like Mc caig?

Or Ivey? I would like your opinion?

Lou
09-10-2002, 08:01 PM
oldbuff dont disregard me I asked you a question. Give me an answer or I will blow your cover.

"you couldn't hit water if you fell out of a boat"