PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather have a strong program or a "cinderella season"?

VWG
09-17-2002, 01:19 AM
Think about it. Would you rather have a team with a strong program, consistent winning and playoffs, but maybe going one and out every few years in the playoffs. Or.... a team that makes that "special" run and goes to the semifinals or even the state championship game. Even though they make that cinderella season, they are inconsistent on making the playoffs and usually aren't there "every year".
Think about the teams that a few years ago were considered contenders, but you don't hear from them anymore.
Would you rather have a team like traditional 3A strong programs Vernon, Abilene Wylie, Commerce, Sealy, Sinton, etc... but an occasional bad playoff run. What about a team that makes that "cinderella" run but don't hear from them in a while? I am also not including those teams that jump from 4A down to 3A, hang around for a few years and then .... see ya' were movin' on up. aka Everman, Jasper. It's sometimes easy to be a big fish in a small pond.
What team would you chose?

Pudlugger
09-17-2002, 08:30 AM
I prefer a team that shows steady and consistant progress from mediocrity to excellence. Such a team represents the committment and hard work of the coaches, players and community. It begins in the junior high level where the ethic of discipline, dedication and desire is established. It is drilled in by a team of coaches who are all pulling in the same direction, forward. It is reinforced by the parents who encourage their sons to hang in there when they are discouraged, injured, upset or tired. It is fueled by the enthusiasm and support of the community who will travel to junior high, freshman, or jv games on Thursday night to cheer the sub-varsity kids on (who represent the future of the program). It is not second guessing the coaches but letting them sort out the problems and make the difficult decisions. It is people who will show up for the game to cheer on their team even if they are not winning that season.
So to answer the question, it takes patience but I prefer a team that is developing as part of a program as ours has in La Grange.

[This message has been edited by Pudlugger (edited September 17, 2002).]

06_star_rtx
09-17-2002, 09:12 AM
a strong program

eye of the tiger
09-17-2002, 11:59 AM
Most of me says a good strong consistant program is what I would like the best. But when I think how few players ever get to even play in a championship game, I think I would take that any way I could get it. I never got to play in a championship game, but have watched Commerce go to four of them in the last few years and the feeling is incredible as a fan. I can only imagine how it would feel to be a player. So cinderella or however I would have loved to be a part of the state game.

Titans
09-17-2002, 12:19 PM
I just want to COACH. I'll coach anyone...the great tradition rich players or the not-so-tradition rich players. I love the game, the competition, the kids and I don't care where I coach (to an extent).

[This message has been edited by Titans (edited September 17, 2002).]

Pudlugger
09-17-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Titans:
I just want to COACH. I'll coach anyone...the great tradition rich players or the not-so-tradition rich players. I love the game, the competition, the kids and I don't care where I coach (to an extent).

[This message has been edited by Titans (edited September 17, 2002).]

Good luck to you Titans, I hope you get to coach too. It sounds like you will be a good one with your great attitude.

[This message has been edited by Pudlugger (edited September 17, 2002).]

Old Cardinal
09-17-2002, 01:16 PM
I think the ultimate is the situation that Jasper finds itself in---A strong program that could have possibly been the 4A Champion; because of dropping into 3A enrollment. by a couple of students, now enjoys the luxury- to play one of the very best QB's in 3A, Rodrigiz Mitchell, only one quarter each game, and try to go into the playoff with overwhelming depth and injury free!

mojjo_1
09-17-2002, 02:13 PM
Jasper has been one of the smallest 4a schools for many years. But they still made it to the playoffs 16 of the last 20 years. This year they are one of the biggest schools in 3a. This is Jasper first time as a big fish lets see what happens.

eye of the tiger
09-17-2002, 02:17 PM
Jasper is definately off to a good start. Keep up the good work.

footballgal
09-17-2002, 03:12 PM
I would have to say both;

For my Alma Matter; Cotulla Cowboys a Cinderall Story!!!

For My Tarpons: Good Program and a state championship.

eye of the tiger
09-17-2002, 04:29 PM
I have been through cotula twice both times in the late 60's. Got a speeding ticket both times. Next time through there Ill let my wife drive.

footballgal
09-17-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by eye of the tiger:
I have been through cotula twice both times in the late 60's. Got a speeding ticket both times. Next time through there Ill let my wife drive.

Stop by in Nov. for hunting season, best place for it in the area. You must of passed through it,on the old Hwy 81, which was replaced by interstate 35. You will be suprised that the town has actually changed. I know I have noticed a good change, since I moved away back in 1986. Especially off the interstate, there is actually places to eat now. There are fast food chains and all. The only place we had growing up or what we called our "watering hole" was Dairy Queen!!

[This message has been edited by footballgal (edited September 17, 2002).]

footballgal
09-17-2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by eye of the tiger:

Oh yeah, watch the speeding, lots of DPS troopers in the area!!!

Super_Fan
09-17-2002, 06:42 PM
I would like to have a cinderella season and just keep getting better years after that.

BullsFan
09-17-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Super_Fan:
I would like to have a cinderella season and just keep getting better years after that.

That pretty much describes Bridgeport. When Coach Henson came ten years ago, we hadn't won a district game in I don't know how many years. To put it frankly, we sucked. We saw 3-5 homecoming games a year because everyone wanted to make sure they won--and scheduling us was like putting a check in the win column. Our last coach said he couldn't win in Bridgeport because we just didn't have the talent. I'm pretty sure his last year we didn't win a single game.

Enter Coach Danny Henson. His first year in Bridgeport, we went to postseason for the first time in my lifetime. I think we ended up going 3 rounds deep. People got on board, the entire town was energized, and at the time I thought it was the most fun I'd ever had. But he's improved the program, kept building and building, and last year we ended up in the state semi-final game (where Commerce, the eventual state champion, beat us). Now I think that was the most fun.

Until, of course, we see what happens this year. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif

hornet03
09-17-2002, 06:57 PM
As a player, I know that since we started this thing in junior high, we have been taught to win and its seemed to be pretty consistent. In 2000, I think the majority of the season we were always picked to get beat even with all the talenet that was on that team, so I guess you can say we were kind of a "cinderella" story, even with all the tradition.

slpybear the bullfan
09-17-2002, 07:25 PM
You said it BullsFan,

I like the Cinderella season followed by many years of playoffs. This has been a very nice run of playoff teams in Bridgeport, especially since it was such a dry spell before.

Here is what I really like in a program... A coach who can get the talent out AND take the kids with not so much talent and make them talented. You know what I mean, coaches who take the tools given and get them to execute and perform.

Coach Henson did that with Bridgeport, that is the big secret to the success here for the past several years. Taking what kids you have and putting them into a system where they can shine.

Just look at last year as an example. People will talk a lot about the offense and the air game, but the defense is what I appreciated. Defense? Yeah the defense. There was almost no size on the team and some average speed. But the kids went out there and played their tails off every down. Halfway through the season they started making plays by just "wanting it." And by the playoff run the defense improved enough to go 5 games deep.

I keep bringing up that Commerce game, (there were many others like it, Kennedale, Crane, etc.). I bring it up because Commerce had us outmanned and outweighed six ways from Sunday. It was 28-7 before we even could even catch our breath. But those kids out there on defense kept playing, and playing, and playing... Man, it made me proud. They held us close until the very end of the game and the Offense had plenty of time to mount their run.

When you see kids out there playing their tails off, even when everyone there knows they aren't as big, fast, strong, or skilled, but the kids keep on till the final horn... man, that is what HS Football is all about. And when I see that I know that the Coach is probably doing all-right.

You know, I have seen many Pros making more money than the kids on these team's combined will ever make... and some of the Pro's don't have half the heart.

Okay, Okay... off the soapbox for now,

Slpybear

mwynn05
09-17-2002, 09:16 PM
our season this year will be considered a cinderella season because if we keep playing like we have been we might make the playoffs