PDA

View Full Version : Gainsville's game plan?

spiveyrat
12-08-2003, 12:43 PM
Anyone think G-ville might take a page or two from Jasper's playbook and try to:
1) Control the ball and keep Burnet's offense off the field, and
2) Use 7 DB's???

I think that's what I'd do!

<small>[ December 08, 2003, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: spiveyrat ]</small>

rholl
12-08-2003, 12:46 PM
watch game film for last yrs championship game!

LowDownDawg
12-08-2003, 01:11 PM
Why would you want to watch last year's championship game? McGee had a torn MCL and hairline fracture in his leg. Shipley had a toe as big as a baseball. Neither one had much mobility. You will see a different team this year. I don't think that Gainesville can line up like Everman did last year and do the same thing. Just my thoughts, but I don't think the Gainesville coaches are going to change what they have been doing all year for one game. They will have some new wrinkles, as will Burnet for certain situations, but I imagine both coaches are gonna do what they have been doing best all season long.

Old Dog
12-08-2003, 01:27 PM
Remember Darrell Royal's old adage "dance with the one who brung ya" ? Other than adjustments for weaknesses you think you may have found, you best stay with what's been successful.

PAINTBALL
12-08-2003, 01:31 PM
Does anyone know if Gainesville has three down linemen capable of limiting the run and putting pressure on McGee. Jasper had the talent to accomplish this. If Gainesville does not have like talent, the Gainesville coaches can look at the Jasper-Burnet films all they want and only wish for Jasper's talent to go with the game plan. Jasper has some awesome young talent. They are going to be a team to be reckoned with for years to come.

Dink&dunk7
12-08-2003, 01:33 PM
I believe they do.

rholl
12-08-2003, 02:20 PM
Lowdown dog...I would watch last yrs game film of the championship because that is the last team to beat Burnet. If a coaching staff can pick up one little wrinkle that they notice on film then it is worth it.

DawgMaw02
12-08-2003, 02:22 PM
LowDownDawg:
Why would you want to watch last year's championship game? McGee had a torn MCL and hairline fracture in his leg. Shipley had a toe as big as a baseball. Neither one had much mobility. You will see a different team this year. I don't think that Gainesville can line up like Everman did last year and do the same thing. Just my thoughts, but I don't think the Gainesville coaches are going to change what they have been doing all year for one game. They will have some new wrinkles, as will Burnet for certain situations, but I imagine both coaches are gonna do what they have been doing best all season long.At last years Championship game, if anyone recalls, the Bulldogs were doing a pretty good job up until the injury to the Everman player. That really shook up some of our boys. Kinda hard to concentrate after that. Just my opinion.

MonkeyJoe
12-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Game plan is simple, front 4 get pressure on McGee to create turovers, or atleast make him make bad decisions.
defence play pass first, run second.
keep the game close at half.
this gainesville team is totally different in the 2nd half and if its close at halftime gainesville will put it off and be the new state champs !

JasperDog94
12-08-2003, 03:18 PM
rholl:
Lowdown dog...I would watch last yrs game film of the championship because that is the last team to beat Burnet. If a coaching staff can pick up one little wrinkle that they notice on film then it is worth it.Rumor has it that that's what Jasper used to develop their game plan.

JasperDog94
12-08-2003, 03:20 PM
MonkeyJoe:
Game plan is simple, front 4 get pressure on McGee to create turovers, or atleast make him make bad decisions.
defence play pass first, run second.
keep the game close at half.
this gainesville team is totally different in the 2nd half and if its close at halftime gainesville will put it off and be the new state champs !Gainesville seems to be able to make great adjustments. At least that's what I thought when I heard about the way they came back on Forney.

Keith7
12-08-2003, 06:37 PM
I gurentee Gainesville will still use their same ole 5-2 look, Coach Cordell doesnt like to adjust to play other teams, but instead would rather have the other team adjust to play to us..

he may put in a nickle package, but it wont be used much if he does..

This is what we did against bridgeport last year which passed 40 times a game too..

but who knows (besides the team) what will really happen until the game is played

PAINTBALL
12-08-2003, 06:50 PM
Keith7:
I gurentee Gainesville will still use their same ole 5-2 look, Coach Cordell doesnt like to adjust to play other teams, but instead would rather have the other team adjust to play to us..

This is what we did against bridgeport last year which passed 40 times a game too..
but who knows (besides the team) what will really happen until the game is playedHow do you run a 5-2 and double or triple shipley. That's what Jasper tried last year. He didn't make the same mistake this year. My guess is look for no more then 4 linemen, maybe just 3.

Keith7
12-08-2003, 06:59 PM
PAINTBALL:

Keith7:

but who knows (besides the team) what will really happen until the game is playedHow do you run a 5-2 and double or triple shipley. That's what Jasper tried last year. He didn't make the same mistake this year. My guess is look for no more then 4 linemen, maybe just 3.speed

Dink&dunk7
12-08-2003, 08:35 PM
The Gainesville coaches were the guys up in the coaches box on the far right. They had a great view of the game and I am sure they will take things they learned from Jasper and try them.

29x281
12-08-2003, 08:48 PM
Kieth, are you saying that Gainesville will single cover Shipley? That would be interesting to see.

Marlin, Wharton, and Jasper all had mucho speed, but didn't single cover Shipley. Well, Wharton did occasionally, and they didn't like the results.

Maybe Gainesville is faster than those teams.

spiveyrat
12-09-2003, 07:58 AM
Keith7:
NOT a good idea.

spiveyrat
12-09-2003, 07:59 AM
29x281:
Kieth, are you saying that Gainesville will single cover Shipley? That would be interesting to see.

Marlin, Wharton, and Jasper all had mucho speed, but didn't single cover Shipley. Well, Wharton did occasionally, and they didn't like the results.

Maybe Gainesville is faster than those teams.I doubt they are collectively faster than all of the aformentioned teams.

GETBACKCOACH
12-09-2003, 09:02 AM
Spivey,
Did Everman have enough speed last year? Gainesville is faster than they were collectively as a team or man vs man. Burnet may win but it won't because of poor schemes. Gainesville's coaches are pretty good also.

GreatBigBurnetFan
12-09-2003, 09:18 AM
Everman didn't have to have speed, McGee had
a brace that was extremely limiting and Shipley
had a turf toe and had a great toenal removed. Both were VERY limited. Guess what, that's not the case this year!! All these great coaches have
studied film, had great gameplans, BUT, THEY WEREN"T ENOUGH TO WIN!!
Regards,
GreatBigBurnetFan

mwisnews
12-09-2003, 10:03 AM
If McGee is from the shotgun and they rush 5 linemen at McGee he will get at least 2 or 3 seconds to find someone.

playa 3
12-09-2003, 10:31 AM
If Gainsville wants to slow Shipley down they had better at least put double coverage on him the entire game. He is too good for single coverage. I don't care how much speed a defensive back has, Shipley runs college type routs, and High School corner backs are not ready for that. If Shipley is single covered, he will have a HUGE game. Mcghee might make a few mistakes if he gets pressure, but he is so good you can't really count on that. I think the defensive game plan for Gainsville is to make someone besides Shipley step up and beat them. All though, that's easier said than done. Should be a good one for the title.

poncho
12-09-2003, 10:40 AM
Keith7:

PAINTBALL:

Keith7:

but who knows (besides the team) what will really happen until the game is playedHow do you run a 5-2 and double or triple shipley. That's what Jasper tried last year. He didn't make the same mistake this year. My guess is look for no more then 4 linemen, maybe just 3.speedHey Keith, do you feel Gainesville has more speed than Jasper? If so...is it on offense, defense or both? Just wondering considering your response "speed" :cool:

playa 3
12-09-2003, 10:44 AM
Gainsville better have a bunch of speed to play head up with Burnet's offense. Wharton has as much speed as any 3A team in the state, and they still couldn't contain Shipley. They got pressure on McGee also, forced a few interceptions. I think relying on speed will be a mistake. Burnet has speed at their key positions to beat teams one-on-one.