PDA

View Full Version : Newton vs. Bridge City

BigRed01
09-01-2002, 05:31 AM
This rivalry will be one of the best games in the state. I look for Bridge City to pull it out in a tight one.(14-10) Coach Barbay took his lumps against Bridge City the first year they met, and then stacked up on defense against the cardinals last year and took it to us. I think Coach Tarver will mix it up on Newton this year, and it should be just enough to come out on top. This should be another hard fought classic. It may somewhat be a statement game of how they will do in the post season. However, the game being played so early in the season, that may change due to injuries or what not.

eye of the tiger
09-01-2002, 08:51 AM
This is one of the games this year I would really like to see. I bet it is going to be a good one.

sinton66
09-01-2002, 09:15 AM
Bridge City should be pretty salty this year. And if they get the wing-t down pat, could do some major wrecking of schedules. Good luck Cardinals!

Old Cardinal
09-01-2002, 01:56 PM
As you know, this is the College Scouts game. It seems that no one wanted to take a chance, especially high enrollment schools in our area, in scheduling either of these teams! My compliments to each of the programs for scheduling this contest. It's one-and-one now and this is the big shootout. Tragically, someone has to lose and be dumped to # 50 in the point-spread polls.

QBKilla
09-01-2002, 02:48 PM
This should be a great one. We will have our own hands full that night but I wish BC best of luck. Show em what you got.

Bubba
09-01-2002, 09:07 PM
Coach Barbay didn't stack up on defense last year. That's the kind of defense Newton has been running since '97 when Coach Johnston took over as defensive coordinator. Last year we just outplayed BC. That was a better game than the score showed though. Newton was clearly the better team, but they weren't 32 points better. This year will be another good game, but I'm gonna have to go with Newton, I think they have a little more speed than BC. Good Luck!

I BLEED PURPLE
09-01-2002, 09:53 PM
I have to go with bubba,Bridgcity always gets the big head when they are going to play Newton and over do them selves. All I heard last year was that Bridgcity was going to stomp a mude hole in us and everyone put us down saying that Newton is going to loose. Well im sorry we dont practice everyday in the hot sun to get our but kicked. Last year we had a good defence but this year we might be little but we are quicker than ever and coach Johnston has his stuff together and so do we. I played at 3 tech last year and Bridgcity's O line was prity good but they just couldnt get nothing going so i hope yall are ready this year because it's going to be a hard one.

3A Roy
09-01-2002, 09:53 PM
I can't wait for the game either. Both teams will have great seasons, so I hope with it being so early in the season that neither teams have any injuries in the game. If they go through injury-free, they should both play on through November and hopefully to the end. It should be close.

[This message has been edited by 3A Roy (edited September 01, 2002).]

3A Roy
09-01-2002, 09:54 PM

[This message has been edited by 3A Roy (edited September 01, 2002).]

I BLEED PURPLE
09-01-2002, 09:54 PM
I have to go with bubba,Bridgcity always gets the big head when they are going to play Newton and over do them selves. All I heard last year was that Bridgcity was going to stomp a mude hole in us and everyone put us down saying that Newton is going to loose. Well im sorry we dont practice everyday in the hot sun to get our but kicked. Last year we had a good defence but this year we might be little but we are quicker than ever and coach Johnston has his stuff together and so do we. I played at 3 tech last year and Bridgcity's O line was prity good but they just couldnt get nothing going so i hope yall are ready this year because it's going to be a hard one.

3A Roy
09-01-2002, 09:57 PM
Howdy I BLEED PURPLE! Whats up? Are you ready for this weeks game?

I BLEED PURPLE
09-01-2002, 10:00 PM
ya im ready for it but it is going to be hot in the morning.

3A Roy
09-01-2002, 10:03 PM
It is going to be very hot. Have fun!

EAGLEBLUE
09-01-2002, 10:30 PM
Bridge City vs Newton, that will be a great game. Too bad I won't get to see it, because I'll be watching my beloved EAGLES! I'll have to go with Newton in a tight hard fought game. Good luck to both squads.

BWK/LBP
09-02-2002, 02:25 PM
Just like last year. Same stuff was said last year. Newton never stacked their defense last year thats the way we run our defense. Its too early to predict an exact score but newton will win. Bridge city is overrated.

BigRed01
09-03-2002, 03:27 AM
Bridge City overrated? What a totally asinine statement. Yes they are far overrated, they just made it to the semi-finals last year. Bridge City as well as Newton have fine programs. When Bridge City smoked Newton 2 years ago to win the district title, Newton was not overrated, they were a quality team that just got beat. That is exactly what happened last year. Newton was firing, BC was not. Newton will again make some noise in Div II, as well as BC in Div I, but to say we're overrated is about, well it's stupid. To be quite honest with you, this game could go either way. I know Newton will be a huge test for us, but we're no picnic either brother.

SintonFan
09-03-2002, 11:15 AM
A battle of top 25 teams is always a must-see game. Where is the game being played at? This year I beleive BC will be improved but I picked Newton higher in my personal poll. I'll go with Newton by 3. If the game is played in BC I might change that up a little.

[This message has been edited by SintonFan (edited September 03, 2002).]

Old Cardinal
09-03-2002, 11:50 AM
To the fine folks from Newton: I think what they are saying about stacking the defense has to do with the last years BC Coach NEVER throwing when it is obvious that Newton was keying totally on the running game. He chose to not make the defense honest and allowed your defense and many others to not have to worry about the forward pass. You just can't run only against a defense that ranks in the top ten every year in 3A for many years.

oldbuff78
09-03-2002, 12:05 PM
Alabama scouts will be at this game for sure.
I know and have inside info on this one.

Old Cardinal
09-03-2002, 01:23 PM
Oldbuff 78, I am hearing that Matt Peebles is also being sought Nationwide not only as a defensive safety but also as a running back.... I have heard that Newton is being scouted for a number of players. I sure hope that Matt does not get hurt during football, he has a good chance of breaking either the state high or low hurdle record this coming spring! I am prejudice, but at this point, I think he is the best running back in 3A.

bccards
09-03-2002, 02:44 PM
SintonFan: The game IS in Bridge City this year, in 2 weeks.

SintonFan
09-03-2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by bccards:
SintonFan: The game IS in Bridge City this year, in 2 weeks.
Thanks bccards!
I assumed the game was in Newton. I beleive in home field advantage. I'll take BC by one.
Good luck to both teams and hope everyone stays injury-free!

3ABirdMan
09-03-2002, 11:13 PM
I predict it will be a VERY good game. I'll take a win or a loss, in a close game, as an indication that both teams are where they want to be at this point in the season. Anyone dissing Newton is plumb crazy! But, I think BC may be ready to open a few eyes.

Good Luck to both, with no injuries, and since SOMEBODY has to win, I HOPE it's the Cards!

exbccards76'smom
09-04-2002, 12:01 AM
Matt's dad told me that he has had offers from schools all over.

superstar6
09-11-2002, 01:36 PM
Bridge City has a great team and some good runners on offense and defense. It will be tough but we will have to pull it out on top.But we are not concerned about teams for next week or the next.We are concerned about winning district title and State and dedicate it to our Very Dedicated Defensive Back Coach M. H. much love coach

------------------

duckbutter
09-11-2002, 02:24 PM
After reading all of the posts I'm going to predict 21 pt victory for Newton. Newton has NEVER had speed like we have this yr. These kids fly to the ball and punish when they get there. Our main weakness is depth, if we stay healthy I really don't think Jasper can even beat us.

classof 85
09-12-2002, 10:57 AM
Jasper by 21

I BLEED PURPLE
09-12-2002, 04:02 PM
I don't think so if they do beat us it will not be by 21.

3A Roy
09-12-2002, 04:20 PM
I think that Newton will win the Bridge City game. I am hoping that Newton pulls it off against Jasper. I don't think that Jasper is as good as they were last year, and if they are as good, they aren't better due to the loss of many key recievers and great defensive players. On the other hand, Newton is better and only lost the Jasper game by 4 points last year. Jasper also had to score late in last year's game to win it.It should be close, but I think that Newton will win it! It will definetly not be 21 points.

BigRed01
09-13-2002, 03:23 AM
To duckbutter, I just can't see 21 points in either a BC matchup with Newton, nor can I see Jasper winning by 21. All three of these teams have speed to burn. Especially the bulldogs. I think no more than a touchdown will seperate any of these teams, and it will be who makes a special teams mistake that will probably be the deciding factor. This should be a real war.

Old Cardinal
09-13-2002, 08:08 AM
I think it is kind of great that Bridge City gets their shot at what many consider "the best team that Newton has ever fielded". If it were later in the season, I would think Bridge City by two TD's. Since BC is in the process of actuating a new Offense and Defense, I think that they can beat Newton, but it will be a tough game! Regardless of the outcome, I think that both teams will be supported by all SE Texas fans as they make their run in their respective Division play. Anyway, I want to see how BC can do against the "best team that Newton has ever fielded".

duckbutter
09-13-2002, 09:06 AM
Old Card this is NOT the best team Newton has ever fielded. This team has more SPEED than ever before but I don't recall anyone saying this is the best team ever. I'll still stick to my prediction: Newton by 21.

AggieJohn
09-13-2002, 11:04 AM
Let's all just see how quick BC is actuallly tonight against my city Liberty...we haev two good qb's...one that has a cannon and the other that can scramble like no one's business..plus liberty has a monster tight defese that will be a challenge for BC o-crew tonight

Reveille
09-13-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by explayer2001:
Let's all just see how quick BC is actuallly tonight against my city Liberty...we haev two good qb's...one that has a cannon and the other that can scramble like no one's business..plus liberty has a monster tight defese that will be a challenge for BC o-crew tonight

explayer2001, might I remind you that Liberty lost to Silsbee 40-6 in your first game of the year. I watched the Jasper vs. Silsbee game last week. I do believe BC could beat Silsbee. I predict BC will win big over Liberty tonight.

3A Roy
09-13-2002, 04:35 PM
I love this matchup between Newton and BC every year. It seems to get more board space than any other game. Newton/BC, Newton/Jasper, and the playoffs are part of the reason I get into football!

[This message has been edited by 3A Roy (edited September 13, 2002).]

3ABirdMan
09-14-2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by explayer2001:

No Brag, just Fact - Luckily for Liberty, this game wasn't 28 - 0 at half, as it should have been. BC failed to capitalize on 2 of 3 first half turn-overs!

Your D was adequate, but not your speed. Peebles busted 2 LONG runs, and The Moose burned you on the kick-off return.

Your power O looked pretty good. You did a good job of gringing out yardage in the middle, and your short passing game looked pretty good also.

Best of Luck on the rest of your season - Maybe we meet in the play-offs again!

PurpleEagles02
09-14-2002, 01:48 AM
As I recall last year correctly, Newton played on Bridge City's home turf and still killed them and also having to sit on the side lines for about an hour while paramedics had to take kids off the field. If you think that B.C. is going to over power Newton this year then you better think twice because Newton is not slowing down for anybody. I wish B.C. good luck but you better watch out because Newton is bringing all they have!!

EAGLEBLUE
09-14-2002, 10:59 AM
My my this should be a great game. Let's see we're off next week, I guess I'm going to Bridge City to see a great football game!

exbccards76'smom
09-14-2002, 12:48 PM
No excuses to make up for last year. This is a different year. We will find out next week.

GO BIG RED!!!

AggieJohn
09-16-2002, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by 3ABirdMan:
No Brag, just Fact - Luckily for Liberty, this game wasn't 28 - 0 at half, as it should have been. BC failed to capitalize on 2 of 3 first half turn-overs!

Your D was adequate, but not your speed. Peebles busted 2 LONG runs, and The Moose burned you on the kick-off return.

Your power O looked pretty good. You did a good job of gringing out yardage in the middle, and your short passing game looked pretty good also.

Best of Luck on the rest of your season - Maybe we meet in the play-offs again!

Oh i know that yall were the better team that night...and perhaps we will meet you in the playoffs like we did last year...i know that peebles was just phenomenal..i can't tip my hat enough to him and knight...best of luck too yall..but do give credit where credit is do..our back up qb is by far a good qb...

BigRed01
09-17-2002, 04:28 AM
You know I keep hearing that this is the fastest team Newton ever fielded. I remember a while back, didn't ya'll have a guy named Anthony Byrly that set all kinds of records? I don't remember exactly how they did back then, but I can remember they were good. What's the real deal with there speed, is the fastest team or not?

duckbutter
09-17-2002, 08:48 AM
Byrly wasn't all that fast, he was very quick and had excellent vision. Newton's OVERALL TEAM SPEED is what I am tallking about. This is NOT Newtons best team ever and we don't have any kids in the 4.3 range but our OVERALL TEAM SPEED will be the deciding factor this week. Good luck to the Cards and I hope both teams are injury free.

BigRed01
09-17-2002, 09:05 PM
I couldn't agree with you more duckbutter, I am really hoping either side doesn't lose any kids due to injury. Both these teams regardless of the outcome will make some serious noise in the 3A playoffs. I am kinda curious as to what the basis is for the overall team speed. It is your team speed versus the oposition that you have played, or is it just team speed in the 40, or are you comparing what you had last year versus this year?

duckbutter
09-18-2002, 11:02 AM
I'm comparing what Newton has had for the last 10-15 yrs to this yr. To me 40 times don't mean a whole lot, look and Emmit Smith. In yrs past we have a quickness at different positions but we have it all positions this yr. Does this mean we will win every game or even state, no. To me it just means that we have an edge over most teams that we will play. If I had to choose between big and slow or small and quick I would always pick the later.