PDA

View Full Version : This Bullfan has questions about Gainesville

slpybear the bullfan
09-24-2002, 09:39 PM
I have enjoyed reading the posts about Bridgeport vs. Gainesville. It is very good to see some interest in some games. Makes me wish for a little later in the year if you know what I mean http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif.

I have a few questions for Gainesville fans/players.

1.) Have any of the four teams you have played been considered offensive powerhouses? Defensive powerhouses? Bridgeport is not a defensive powerhouse, but looked that way against Boyd, (less than 80 yards total offense and no points, most of it in last quarter).

2.) How fast are your D-Backs? I saw where one poster said they (don't know how many implied) were faster than a 4.5.

3.) How good was Bonham? I don't know much about their team other than what the DMN website offers about their stats.

4.) What do all the G'ville folks think about the PD - To play or not to play hype?

Not trashing or baiting, just wanting to know more about Gainesville...

slpybear

The One
09-24-2002, 09:49 PM
Slpy,
Any hype over at work yet? I heard the same thing about PD not playing from a player before I left on Monday, but I also heard today he is definatley playing, Thank God! You still not getting go?

Keith7
09-24-2002, 09:59 PM

[This message has been edited by Keith7 (edited September 25, 2002).]

G'ville-PL
09-24-2002, 09:59 PM
Well I'm a major fan of the Leopards and all I can answer is question 4 about Daugherty. He's real good. I've seen highlights of him from this year and last year, and he keeps on impressing me. Against Boyd I couldn't beleive yall scored that many points and shut them out. But yea PD is somethin else, but against a good defense we will see just how good he is. I'm not saying we have the best D in 3A...hell no I'd give that to Everman, but we got a damn good one. The whole no huddle shotgun offense is pretty impressive too. I heard something about Daugherty wanting to go to Texas Tech and replace Kingsbury, is this true?

The One
09-24-2002, 10:01 PM
Yes PD has already Verbal committed to Tech.

slpybear the bullfan
09-24-2002, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by The One:
Slpy,
Any hype over at work yet? I heard the same thing about PD not playing from a player before I left on Monday, but I also heard today he is definatley playing, Thank God! You still not getting go?

Yeah, the hype at work is getting pretty good, nothing like when we play the Decatur Egrets of course! The strange thing is that all of the Gainesville people talk pretty ho-hum about the team. They are expecting the worst on Friday. Heck, I even wind up talking up their team to some of them because they think the Leopards are worse then they are... And I am from Bridgeport! (Heck, Texas HS Football is a religion!!! How can you not know about your hometown team!!!!)

Anywho... at the moment it looks like I will be headed to Austin down 281 while the game is on. So I really need some updates via cellphone... (hint, hint guys... C'mon BullsFan).

I would rather sit PD out and suffer the consequences and be playing late in the year. But I ain't "Coach" Slpy, LOL.

Look for a topic a little farther up...

slpybear

The One
09-24-2002, 10:04 PM
Gains,
Who besides Bonaham have yall played.
We have played
Burkburnett 48-21
Mineral Wells 53-13
Pilot Point 48-35
Boyd 36-0

I will be the first to point out that PP was the only real competition in that group.

Keith7
09-24-2002, 10:11 PM

PPHSfan
09-24-2002, 10:16 PM
To the ONE,
Ahem,, 46-35 lol

The One
09-24-2002, 10:25 PM
Sorry PPHS I was going off memory and well I guess its old age

slpybear the bullfan
09-24-2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan:
To the ONE,
Ahem,, 46-35 lol

grumble, grumble.. danged-ole-no-extra-point-kicking-game... grumble...

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/wink.gif

slpybear

PPHSfan
09-24-2002, 10:30 PM
You know I am just kidding you, but I just couldn't stand by and watch you sneak two points in on me. LOL

TwoBRockin
09-24-2002, 10:36 PM
I keep looking at all the stats for both teams. Who they played, yardage, and what the teams that they (Gains) have played, looked at there stats and I just don't see much more than what we (BULLS) haven't already seen. I guess we will all have to wait until about 10 - 10:30 friday evening to see who did what and who won!!!!!

slpybear the bullfan
09-24-2002, 10:41 PM
Yeah 2B, that is what I kept searching for and was the point of some of my questions... I didn't see any suprises that worried me.

Now, that still means you have to go out there and execute, *g*, so I hope Coach Henson has them strapped on tight come Friday.

slpybear

The One
09-24-2002, 10:42 PM
I do think Gainesville has played better teams then us. Bonham is pretty good as well as Hirschi. You know as well as I do though we have only played half games so far this year (except for PP). This will be a good one.

Keith7
09-24-2002, 10:42 PM

Keith7
09-24-2002, 10:43 PM

The One
09-24-2002, 10:49 PM
No doubt that is impressive, but I will say this. You will be surprised had good the O line is come Friday night well as Daughtery's ability to step in the pocket and scramble.

Keith7
09-24-2002, 10:52 PM

slpybear the bullfan
09-24-2002, 11:00 PM
Yeah, I agree about the DMN website Keith. No Defensive stats whatsoever.

And the Startlegram isn't much better... They have Gainesville as the top offensive squad in the area, averaging 550+ yards a game, but NOT EVEN LISTED as one of the best defenses. Didn't even make the listing.

Go figure... that is why I don't pay much attention to some of those stats in the FWST.

slpybear

The One
09-24-2002, 11:10 PM
Keith is that true about averaging 55oyds a game? Have your starters pretty much played the entire games for Yall?

Keith7
09-24-2002, 11:12 PM

The One
09-25-2002, 10:23 PM
Sply
Have you changed your mind on the game yet.

slpybear the bullfan
09-25-2002, 10:32 PM
Sply
Have you changed your mind on the game yet.

Man... still having major nausea over this one. Will visit with my travel compadre to see what we think.

slybear

slpybear the bullfan
09-25-2002, 10:47 PM
Keith is that true about averaging 55oyds a game? Have your starters pretty much played the entire games for Yall?

One, the DMN website shows 1200 yards of offense for Gainesville this year (passing and rushing), so average offensive gain of 300 yards per game. Don't know about return yardage etc... so I think the StarTlegram may have missed the boat again on this stat, (surprise. And the WCMessenger followed suit). OR that stats are wrong on the DMNs big stat database.

For comparison, the Bulls have 1759 total passing and rushing yards, avg of 439 yds per game.

slpybear

The One
09-25-2002, 11:04 PM
That Keith said last night there biggest game was 550 against Burk, so I dont see how they can average 530 a game

TwoBRockin
09-25-2002, 11:07 PM
Hey slpy and one, I read that the average yardage per game for Gainsville is 530 yards per. This was in the Messenger today and the index had some info too.

BportFan
Look for the Bulls to look like a fine tuned machine on Friday. I think this will be their best game so far. I am a little nervous about special teams (kick-offs, extra points) They have looked terrible on special teams the past two weeks. Look for some new wrinkles this week. I have a feeling Henson has been setting up certain plays for this game and two other games later in the year.

Keith7

The One
09-25-2002, 11:08 PM
I am pretty sure that is incorrect. I think there getting there info from another paper that is incorrect. Like what slpy said in his earlier post.

G'ville-CH
09-25-2002, 11:11 PM
we had 533 against Burkburnet??? I'm sure that's what you saw...

The One
09-25-2002, 11:13 PM
Thanks Keith, Yeah Bportfan I think we will see a fine oiled machine on Friday. Special teams is a concern. The good thing is it looks as if we may have actually found a kicker, I do hope they will let him do the kickoffs this week. Good Field position for the opposition may come back and hurt us this week.

BportFan
09-25-2002, 11:22 PM
Wondering if Bridgeport has a BIG suprise on defense this week or they wait until district?

BportFan
09-25-2002, 11:24 PM
I hope Emery handles the kick-offs on Friday. What is this squib kick crap? That will get you beat against good teams (G'ville, Lake Worth, Decatur).

The One
09-25-2002, 11:25 PM
This game doesn't mean anything, but you better believe they dont want to lose. So if they need a surprise look for them to pull one out of the hat, but dont look for what we talked about until the Decatur game. They did move up the true backup QB to varsity this week.

slpybear the bullfan
09-25-2002, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by BportFan:
I hope Emery handles the kick-offs on Friday. What is this squib kick crap? That will get you beat against good teams (G'ville, Lake Worth, Decatur).

Boy, Bport Fan, big dittos here on the kickoffs. Please! No more squibs. I would rather aim for the sideline each play and take the penalties!

As far as defenseive suprises... if we got any I hope we save them. Though I don't think there is any suprise other than tee it up and play hard up front and keep your backfield making plays. Against fast teams like G'ville, the Linebackers have to have their A game ready.

slpybear

The One
09-25-2002, 11:32 PM
I have yet to see a game were the LB's didn't bring their A game. Look for the same this week. Lets hope #56 gets to do the kicking this week!

slpybear the bullfan
09-25-2002, 11:33 PM
They did move up the true backup QB to varsity this week.

I am glad to hear that!

slpybear

BportFan
09-25-2002, 11:36 PM
I saw the true backup at the grocery store today. He is every bit of 6'3. Too skinny right now but hopefully he will fill in nicely next year.

The One
09-25-2002, 11:52 PM
He is having a great year getting snaps in JV. The one game I seen some of he threw 4TD's.