PDA

View Full Version : Vernon VS Decatur sat. Memorial Stadium Wichita Falls 7:30 pm.

fury900
11-15-2003, 11:42 PM
Vernon VS Decatur sat. Memorial Stadium Wichita Falls 7:30 pm.

Chief Woodman
11-15-2003, 11:44 PM
Sounds like a good match up.

VWG
11-16-2003, 05:51 PM
This will be a really good test for the Lions. The Lions have a good running game, when it gets going. If they have to turn to the pass then they could be in trouble.
Vernon's secondary has the speed to keep up with the Eagles receivers, but can they put pressure on the QB? That will be the key. And... if Decatur's QB lays one soft over the middle look out. Vernon has some headhunters back in the safety spots that like to come up and punish people.
I predict a Decatur win, but only by 10.
Decatur 31 Vernon 21. The air attack of Decatur comes through in the end.

MASH4077
11-16-2003, 06:06 PM
I suggest you dont forget Decatur's running game.
Andrew McKinney has almost 1,200 yds rushing. And at 6'3" 220lbs. he brings quite a load into secondary kids brave enough to hit him up high.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-16-2003, 08:26 PM
My thought on the Lions:

My son is one of those headhunting safeties (#35)and he is a heck of a player. That out of the way Vernon has a very balanced offense. They will give the WB, FB, HB and QB all about the same amount of carries. The FB and HB are 200 pound backs that run hard but are not blazing fast. They are not slow but just hard 5-6 yard per carry guys. Both have around a 5-yard average. The WB is the quick one but he only goes about 160 so he is taken down easier. I think he averages about 8-10 yards per carry. They all run hard and get extra yards by second effort. They throw the ball about 5 to 10 times a game and don't make many mistakes in the passing game.

Vernon has used new formations the past three weeks but they use the wing T 90% of the time. All power running formations.

The Vernon defense is good but not great. They run a 5-2 to 4-3. They have two good Lb's in #2 and #33. They are solid players. The secondary is really their strength. Both safeties lead the team in tackles and will lay some immense hits on those receivers whether they catch the ball or not. We have 1 corner that is 5'5" so many teams try him. He has two picks in the last two games is very fast, but do to his size every team tries him with the fade a couple of times a game.

Vernon has a good football team and they all play well together. No superstars on this team. They remind me of Ballinger last year. Not real big, not real fast, but just good football players. Vernon is no Venus believe me. Several seniors on this team played on the quarter final team of two years ago and will get their teammates fired up for another run. They have a storied playoff record and the Lions expect to win this game. But in the real world Decatur will be the favorite and this should be a good game.

GlenRosePoster
11-16-2003, 08:36 PM
It always helps to have a secondary as your strength when you come up against a team like Decatur. Vernon will also have to respect the running game of Mckinney. I don't see Vernon stopping the passing game or the running game. I I don't think Vernon or anyone else can stop Decatur until maybe Kennedale, but anything could happen. Vernon is one of those teams that if they catch you on a bad night they will make you pay.

Chief Woodman
11-16-2003, 09:59 PM
Z motion- your thoughts mirror what I have heard about your team. However, I must disagree about your comment about being balanced. It could just be we have different terms. To me a balance Offense runs the ball many times as they throw the ball. You say you only throw the ball 5- 10 time a game, SO...that would mean you only get 10- 20 plays a game, which I do not think is what you mean. So I see you as a running team. You know your going to run, we know your going to run, and you are dareing us to stop you. I like that hard nosed attitude.

My thoughts on the Eagles.
Offense- No better passing game in North Texas. Dane has 5 very talented recievers to throw to, not including McKinney out of the back field. Double team Christian, and someone else WILL be open and will catch the pass. The O line while not huge is playing the best as a unit right now as a line can. The offense scored on the first 7 of 8 series last week. It is true that Vernon is not Venus...but Venus had only given up 70 yards a game passing till last week, including facing a spread O of Glen Rose. Eagles got over 300 yards and 4 TD passes. Looks to me that Vernon secondary will see the best passing team they have seen, and will not be fully prepared for what is coming. Eagles will run the ball enough that if you try to play nickle or dime for the pass, McKinney will get 150- 200 yards and several TD's. Eagles are indeed balanced running and passing about 50-50. Stop one we go to the other. Eagles force opponents to play honest defense...8 in the box will kill you, but so will dime.
EDGE Decatur.

Defense- 1st string has only allowed 1 TD in the last 10 quarters. They have really turned their game up a notch since they started approaching game as playoff do or die situations. I expect them to stack for the run and dare you to throw. Our secondary now averages 6' 2" and VERY athletic. If the run game starts looking too successful, look for McKinney at 6'4" 220 and 4.5 in the 40 to go head hunting with a full head of steam. Christian has 6 picks in 5 games.
Edge- Vernon's clock control game

Overall....Vernon will not score as much as Decatur... Decatur 35 Vernon 21

PS- My son is #75 the Offensive right tackle. Don't expect much pressure on Dane from the left DE.

<small>[ November 16, 2003, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: Chief Woodman ]</small>

MASH4077
11-16-2003, 10:49 PM
Has Vernon really played a passing team like Decatur? Breckenridge pales in comparison to the Eagles.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-17-2003, 12:22 AM
Vernon has played three teams that operate out of the spread or pass as much as they run, Burkburnett, Breckenridge, and Childress. So defending the pass is nothing new. However, the play of Decatur is a level or two above all of those aforementioned teams. Vernon has played several very good teams this year in 5A Altus Oklahoma, Wichita Falls High, Graham and Iowa Park. Decatur may be the best that Vernon has seen. We didn't match up to well against Graham -- they had a really good d-line and some quick LB's that stopped Vernon's running game. That is the only team that has caused them trouble. All the other teams that Vernon has played, Vernon has been able to run against them. Yes by balanced I mean that not one back carries the load. The defense can't key on one player. But Vernon will run the ball as that is what they do.

If Vernon can keep the ball away from Decatur and hope for some Decatur mistakes such as turnovers or penalties the Lions will provide a good game. Vernon doesn't want to get in a shootout because that is not what they do and couldn't stay with the Eagles.

Like I said before there are really no stars on this team, they are not real big or extremely fast but they have won 9 games this year so they are a solid team.

<small>[ November 16, 2003, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: Z motion 10 out on 2 ]</small>

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-17-2003, 12:45 AM
Chief:

Here is a good link to the article about the Vernon and Brady game. This is a San Angelo link so it's not so biased. My son is Gonzales and made a great play on a third down. The oposing coach mentions that play in the article.

San Angelo Times (http://www.gosanangelo.com/sast/sp_hs_football/article/0,1897,SAST_14456_2432967,00.html)

Chief Woodman
11-17-2003, 01:34 PM
I will enjoy seeing your son play. Trust me, Decatur is not taking your guys lightly. I look for a hard fought game. Second half will be really intresting as Decatur has played much better in the second half all year. Sounds like fun. Too bad 1 good team will not advance after this week, but that is what the playoffs are about.

<small>[ November 17, 2003, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: Chief Woodman ]</small>

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-17-2003, 01:45 PM
Chief maybe I can meet you before the game or at half? The stadium is set up where both sides are seperate but I could have a friend who works security get me over to the other side. Let me know.

If you haven't been there before, it is really nice stadium. They have that real grass or real turf what ever it is called. Lost of seating.

Chief Woodman
11-17-2003, 01:54 PM
Z motion 10 out on 2:
Chief maybe I can meet you before the game or at half? The stadium is set up where both sides are seperate but I could have a friend who works security get me over to the other side. Let me know.

If you haven't been there before, it is really nice stadium. They have that real grass or real turf what ever it is called. Lost of seating.I am on the field before the game, at the half, and after the game so any one of those would be good for me. At the half AND after the game on the field would be nice if we can do both. I help with the helmet and tunnnel for the players that is why I am down there. I will PM you with my cell number.

BTW, Collier-sharpe has Decatur by 4 and Data poll has Decatur by 1. Sounds like the game is up for grabs.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-17-2003, 02:03 PM
Chief:

Ok that will be fine. I'm excited about the game and hope that it will be competetive. I listened to the Eagle game Friday night and switched after half due to the blow out. How many players play both ways on the line? Vernon has only one and he rotates on defense #77. They rotate a lot of players in and out on the d-line. If Decatur throws a lot then they will most likely use the smaller quicker linemen. Tommy Henderson (WF High) torn Vernon a new one with QB keepers out of the spread. The next time Vernon played a spread team they went with the smaller quicker linemen and it made a big difference. Vernon has some size on defense but like I said they rotate them the entire game.

MASH4077
11-17-2003, 02:30 PM
The thing that scares me is that Vernon will eat up the clock with long drives. Our Defense has played well of late, but we are not a dominating squad. We will have to stop the lions a couple times each half to win the ballgame. Our offense scores quickly and often, but we need the ball. We must play mistake free football to win this game. I like the match-up in the secondary. Our recievers are: Christian..6'2 175lbs 4.5..... Jake Logue 6'1 180lbs 4.6 and Jonathon Jones 6'02 220lbs 4.8 all have great hands and will catch the ball in a crowd. The are good blockers or they dont play no matter how well they catch. It is going to be a great game to watch!

Chief Woodman
11-17-2003, 02:57 PM
Z motion 10 out on 2:
Chief:

Ok that will be fine. I'm excited about the game and hope that it will be competetive. I listened to the Eagle game Friday night and switched after half due to the blow out. How many players play both ways on the line? Vernon has only one and he rotates on defense #77. They rotate a lot of players in and out on the d-line. If Decatur throws a lot then they will most likely use the smaller quicker linemen. Tommy Henderson (WF High) torn Vernon a new one with QB keepers out of the spread. The next time Vernon played a spread team they went with the smaller quicker linemen and it made a big difference. Vernon has some size on defense but like I said they rotate them the entire game.None of our O line goes both ways, and we rotate a few guys in. The wheels stay fresh all game long. Not a huge O line, but we average around 220 lbs and all are quick. Also a very intelligent line. They feature the #1 GPA in the Jr class (in fact the smartest student in the entire school) and the #3 GPA in the senior class. 4 of the 5 are in the top 10% GPA. Handle blitzes really well and usually give Dane so long to throw that if covered the recievers can change routes and get open. Real hard for D backs to cover when Dane has all the time he needs. The D line rotates some guys in...so they fairly fresh as well. Our 2 starting DE's run a 4.5 and 4.7 respectively.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-17-2003, 03:31 PM
Those Eagle DE's are fast! Our seconday has two juniors and two seniors. Both safties are 5'9 and 5'10. One corner is 5'5' and the other about 5'10. I'm sure that Decatur will put their tallist receiver and try the fade on our 5'5 guy. It happens each week.

It will be hard to beat #5 and #35 deep or rather it will be hard to out run them after the catch. They may get beat deep but they do have speed. I have to be careful what I write here. When the seniors of these teams were JV they played each other. Interested in the outcome?

Game cancelled due to weather. Go figure~ Do you know who the home team will be?

rudy5307
11-17-2003, 03:40 PM
MASH4077-
Just wandering when Jonesy grew to be 6'2" 220lbs, last time I saw him he was about 5'11" -6'0" and weighed about 205. Just wandering if he hit a growth spurt in the last four weeks. Just wandering!

Chief Woodman
11-17-2003, 03:50 PM
Z motion 10 out on 2:
Those Eagle DE's are fast! Our seconday has two juniors and two seniors. Both safties are 5'9 and 5'10. One corner is 5'5' and the other about 5'10. I'm sure that Decatur will put their tallist receiver and try the fade on our 5'5 guy. It happens each week.

It will be hard to beat #5 and #35 deep or rather it will be hard to out run them after the catch. They may get beat deep but they do have speed. I have to be careful what I write here. When the seniors of these teams were JV they played each other. Interested in the outcome?

Game cancelled due to weather. Go figure~ Do you know who the home team will be?According to my son's annual...when the current seniors were JV two years ago...Vernon 35, Decatur 8
Difference between then and now...three of the Decatur sophmores were on varsity already that year and did not play in that JV contest (including McKinney). Dane, Christian and two other key players were freshman and did not play in that contest between JV squads. In fact, only 1 skill player from the current starting lineup even played in that game. It was also only the second year running the spread and the second year using a new defensive scheme. Oh, and I was wrong about the 6'4" 4.5 40 yard dash McKinney's weight. He is currently at 235 lbs.

We probably will use the fade some, but with the height and weight differences the defender can play perfect defense, and the pass cam still be completed with the ball put in the right spot. Mr Dane is quite capable of doing just that.

Chief Woodman
11-17-2003, 03:58 PM
rudy5307:
MASH4077-
Just wandering when Jonesy grew to be 6'2" 220lbs, last time I saw him he was about 5'11" -6'0" and weighed about 205. Just wandering if he hit a growth spurt in the last four weeks. Just wandering!Well, he has been eating at my house once a week all year long and YOU know what that can do!...LOL
BTW meal will be on Friday rather than Thursday due to a Saturday ballgame. I will be at work, but my little bride will be glad to see you. Maybe even a few of the old gang can come by as well. You guys can pick Jonesy up and guess his weight for yourself, maybe even give him a noogie or a wedgie for old times sake.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-17-2003, 04:01 PM
Maybe it was the freshman game that was called due to weather. I know it was played in Decatur and we didn't get to play. I think Decatur was in Vernon's district those two years.

Chief Woodman
11-17-2003, 04:04 PM
Z motion 10 out on 2:
Maybe it was the freshman game that was called due to weather. I know it was played in Decatur and we didn't get to play. I think Decatur was in Vernon's district those two years.You are right, I was at that game. The weather got real bad. In fact we had a small tornado that hit our town that night. Its path was only about 3 blocks south of the field.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-17-2003, 04:10 PM
Thanks for sharing your knowledge on the Eagles. It is always fun to know a little something about the other team. I'll go to the booster club meeting tonight and get to watch some game film whoowe! Anyway thanks for sharing your insights and I hope that neither team has any injuries. I'll be in San Antonio this week at a TML Conference so I won't get to check the downlow until Saturday. So I'll see you at the game. I'll look for you before it starts around the Eagle. I'm a shaved bald guy in his 30's with a goatee! :D Good luck to your son, but not to much good luck. Just a little bit of it.

Comfortable Hemorrhage
11-17-2003, 05:13 PM
[/qb][/QUOTE]None of our O line goes both ways, and we rotate a few guys in. The wheels stay fresh all game long. Not a huge O line, but we average around 220 lbs and all are quick. Also a very intelligent line. They feature the #1 GPA in the Jr class (in fact the smartest student in the entire school) and the #3 GPA in the senior class. 4 of the 5 are in the top 10% GPA. Handle blitzes really well and usually give Dane so long to throw that if covered the recievers can change routes and get open. Real hard for D backs to cover when Dane has all the time he needs. The D line rotates some guys in...so they fairly fresh as well. Our 2 starting DE's run a 4.5 and 4.7 respectively.[/QB][/QUOTE]

Chief, I know your football weenie is going crazy right now, but you might be overanalysing a little bit. Books smarts don't always coorelate to football smarts, and the D line doesn't have to run 40 yards, they just have to get off the line fast. That said I know they do get off the ball fast and that the line is football smart, so I'm arguing for nothing. By the way is your son the one who's rank is number 3, if so tell him I'm proud of him. Must not have been slacking off so far his senior year in the books.

<small>[ November 17, 2003, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Comfortable Hemorrhage ]</small>

Chief Woodman
11-17-2003, 05:55 PM
Comfortable Hemorrhage:
[/qb]None of our O line goes both ways, and we rotate a few guys in. The wheels stay fresh all game long. Not a huge O line, but we average around 220 lbs and all are quick. Also a very intelligent line. They feature the #1 GPA in the Jr class (in fact the smartest student in the entire school) and the #3 GPA in the senior class. 4 of the 5 are in the top 10% GPA. Handle blitzes really well and usually give Dane so long to throw that if covered the recievers can change routes and get open. Real hard for D backs to cover when Dane has all the time he needs. The D line rotates some guys in...so they fairly fresh as well. Our 2 starting DE's run a 4.5 and 4.7 respectively.</strong>[/QUOTE]

Chief, I know your football weenie is going crazy right now, but you might be overanalysing a little bit. Books smarts don't always coorelate to football smarts, and the D line doesn't have to run 40 yards, they just have to get off the line fast. That said I know they do get off the ball fast and that the line is football smart, so I'm arguing for nothing. By the way is your son the one who's rank is number 3, if so tell him I'm proud of him. Must not have been slacking off so far his senior year in the books.[/QB][/QUOTE]
LOL well lets see...My son is in the top 10%, but #3 in his class goes to the other OT. Sometimes the d line espically the ends need to run fast to bring the play down from behind and also leaves many a OT wondering what that blur was that just went by. One OT in one of our district games was complaining to his coach that not only could he not block that fast DE, he barely even seen him go by. So Speed does kinda of matter for the DE's. According to my son and last years Right Guard intelligence sure does help...makes you able to learn the blitz packages easier and and makes adjustments on the field without having to call timeouts and ask for help from the sideline. Our O line coach tells us that our O linemen have already figured out the necessary adjustments and present them to him without him having to it for them. Might be over thinking things alot, but it is more fun than chopping firewood for the winter. Next time your in Decatur I'll but ya lunch, but it will take the two of us awhile to figure out the tip.

MASH4077
11-17-2003, 10:38 PM
When the current Jrs. were 8th graders they played the last game of the year and Decatur was undefeated........Vernon spanked them 19-0.
When they were Freshman they were both undefeated and Decatur won 33-21 overcoming 14 point leads twice!

Comfortable Hemorrhage
11-17-2003, 11:55 PM
Chief check your PM.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-18-2003, 05:21 AM
Well this should be a good game.

Chief Woodman
11-19-2003, 04:38 PM
OK after doing some research....let me try something. Decatur 24 Vernon 19

Chief Woodman
11-19-2003, 10:37 PM
Possibility of snow Saturday evening? That makes things intresting.