PDA

View Full Version : yeah! UIL shoots down 4th playoff team

bd0707
10-20-2003, 01:06 PM
I agree with this decision, it would further water down playoffs.

By Matthew Obernauer

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Monday, October 20, 2003

The University Interscholastic League's standing committee on athletics announced Sunday that it would not recommend changes to its existing playoff structure for high school team sports, including football.

In a statewide survey, sent out by the UIL in September and released to the public Sunday, superintendents voted by almost 2 to 1 against expanding the playoffs to include four teams from each district.

Playoff expansion garnered far more support from large schools than small ones. Among Class 4A and 5A schools, 153 superintendents voted to expand to four teams, while 163 voted no. At the 1A, 2A and 3A level, the vote went 451-156 against expansion.

The UIL could have considered expanding the playoffs only at the 5A level, officials said, but chose not to because there was no majority vote in favor of the proposal at any level. "I think this (question) will be settled for a while," UIL Athletic Director Charles Breithaupt said.

The committee also voted Sunday to recommend sending two questions to a January ballot referendum -- in track and field, whether to advance the third-place district finisher to the regional meet, and in softball playoffs, whether to have a coin flip determine whether one game or a three-game series will be played.

JasperDog94
10-20-2003, 01:08 PM
I can't even believe it was a remote possibility. Thank Heaven for small miracles.

Old Dog
10-20-2003, 01:22 PM
Thanks goodness!

Chief Woodman
10-20-2003, 01:23 PM
I wish they would eliminate the watered down system of three teams making the playoffs. Of course that would mean only 1 State chap a year, and last year would have seen two teams other than Bandera and Everman in the championship games. (They would not have made the playoffs) Burnet would probably been State Champs.

Bandera YaYa
10-20-2003, 01:42 PM
Chief Woodman:
I wish they would eliminate the watered down system of three teams making the playoffs. Of course that would mean only 1 State chap a year, and last year would have seen two teams other than Bandera and Everman in the championship games. (They would not have made the playoffs) Burnet would probably been State Champs....yeah but that didn't happen...... :D

spiveyrat
10-20-2003, 01:44 PM
They were considering a 4th playoff team? Good Grief! Why not just make have 1 Super Tournament that consists of every school in Texas that has a football team and let everyone just "shoot it out". Makes about as much sense.

I agree... ridiculous to even consider it!

What's next on that committee's agenda? Whether to keep score or not? :rolleyes:

<small>[ October 20, 2003, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: spiveyrat ]</small>