PDA

View Full Version : Giddings beats Rice!!!

g-town fan
12-01-2001, 01:02 AM
Just as I said, the buffs prevailed and were victorious. They defeated a very good Rice team tonight by a final of 24-8. Chris Daniels came up huge time after time for the buffs and the backfield was also very solid, not to mention the "wrecking crew" did their usual by holding Rice to few yards and more importantly, few points. Congratulations to Rice on a very great year and good luck to Giddings in the next rounds.
Hang tough Giddings! Keep striving for the state championship. Go Buffs!!!

slinky006
12-01-2001, 01:07 AM
The USS Giddings did not shipwreck, but stayed on course for round 4 of the playoffs. I must say I saw one of the most powerful hits put on last night. A Rice player totally laid out #89 for Giddings. Both teams played a tremendous game, but Giddings came out on top. To those at rice, you had a great season, good luck in the future. To those at Giddings....prepare for next week, it should be a tough one. Go Buffs!!

the claw
12-01-2001, 01:18 AM
That was an unbelievable hit. He'll be hurtin in the morning. But all that matters is that they won. That game was as good as the hype.

vfunk
12-01-2001, 01:33 AM
its funny to see upsets and all the people that they shutup!!!

coolguycody_c
12-01-2001, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by VFunk:
its funny to see upsets and all the people that they shutup!!!

I'm not going to shut up about Vernon. Perryton deserved to win. They did what you have to do in the playoffs. Make the most of every mistake your opponent makes. Make them lose the game themselves. Vernon messed up and Perryton did what they should have done. Still it is very sad that Vernon is out, and I'm sure that if not for their mistakes this season, they'd be 13-0 right now. Next year all they need to do is keep their determination and momentum, and eliminate their mistakes; to learn from this experience. Watch out for the Lions next year.

Specklebelly
12-01-2001, 02:22 AM
VFunk, give us time to get home. Of course it shuts us up when we are in the car driving home. Plus it shuts people up because what am I going to talk about now, my team is gone. A big congratulations goes to Giddings. You have a very good team. Solid defensively and very balanced on offense. I had a feeling a balanced offense would hurt our D and it did. I thought you guys depended on the run more but you throw very well. Big balls were shown on that 4th down pass late in the game. You dont convert there and we had a real shot. Again, good job Giddings, you have a REAL GOOD shot at winning state.

To Rice Consolidated, great season. You players accomplished a great deal this year and have a lot to be proud of. We simply got beat by a better team tonight. We should be playoff bound again next year with an undefeated JV to rebuild with. Rice Consolidated will be tough again next year.

g-town fan
12-01-2001, 11:14 AM
Yes slinky, you are right, it was a great game. But you are wrong about a couple of things. That was round 3 of the playoffs, not 4. And it was #86 (Jonathan Lehman) who got laid out, not #89. No problem though, we know what you meant. Yes people, 86 did get hit almost as hard as I have ever seen anyone get hit. And to make him fly that far, (cause he is big), you gotta lay a pretty solid hit on him. I talked to him at halftime of the game and he said he had a mild concussion. Hopefully he will be back against China Spring next week. Oh yeah, or Newton. I just think CS is going to win. It doesn't matter to Giddings though. They will be prepared for their opponent no matter China Spring OR Newton. JUst like this week, Next week's game will be an awesome one.
Go Buffs!!!

slinky006
12-01-2001, 11:24 AM
Yeah, i goofed on Lehmann's number. However, i didn't goof on my statement about round four. we defeated Rice, and are now playing in round four........maybe i should have worded it better. oh yeah......i was just wondering....was anyone from Rice surprised when our tailback aired out pass to #3 that should have went for a touchdown? it sure caught me off guard.....

msgp
12-01-2001, 11:51 AM
Congratulations to Giddings on a big win. We knew at Rice that we had to play mistake-free ball to win this one and we certainly did not do that...more turnovers than we have had all year and too many penalties to count. That is part of it. Just want to say that I was so proud of my Raiders in defeat. They were a class act after the game. They knew they had been beaten soundly by a better team and that they had nothing to hang their heads about. We have some great kids and I will miss those seniors. But, I look forward to next year. It was our underclassmen who were most noticeable last night.
Good luck Buffs! If you make it far enough to run into LaGrange - I'll be there cheering for you.

the claw
12-01-2001, 01:07 PM
I'm not from rice but i wsa very surprised to see the halfback pass. I personally thought that was a catch but didn't really have a good angle to see whether he had control. But it should have been a touchdown. I was really impressed with #1 on those fades. He made the adjustments every time to make the catch. What about the diving catch in the endzone that was called incomplete for rice? It looked like it might have been trapped as he hit the ground but was a great effort. Did anybody have a close up look at that one?

g-town fan
12-01-2001, 01:59 PM
Claw, yes it almost did look like a catch for rice in the endzone but i sure wasn't close enough to say for sure. I guess when he hit the ground the ball popped out and I guess the refs said he never really had control of it. I dont know!!!!! The halfback pass was a real shocker. #3 that caught it is my cousin and I talked to him after the game and he said honestly that he caught it and had already crossed the plane of the goal line before he was hit and the ball came out, so therefore it should have been a touchdown, but he wasn't worried about it, b/c we ended up scoring anyway, and ultimately won. Yes #1 (Chris Daniels) was very impressive last night. He made unbelievable plays time after time. He has great leaping ability and can go up over almost anyone. Look for him to shine once again in future rounds!!!
Congrats Buffs!!!