PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Rivalries in Texas?

hornet03
09-15-2002, 05:05 PM
Just curious to know some of those big rivalries and traditions that are going on this year.

slpybear the bullfan
09-15-2002, 05:12 PM
Here are a couple...

Bridgeport Bulls vs. Decatur Eagles AKA "The Battle of Big Sandy" after the creek/river that seperates the two side of the county and the two towns. Pick a sport and the towns will be all crazy when they play each other.

My wife votes for her hometown of Alvord and their annual battle against cross-county rival Chico.

slpybear

"Go Bulls! Beat the Egrets! WDA!"

TarponR13K
09-15-2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by hornet03:
Just curious to know some of those big rivalries and traditions that are going on this year.

The battle of Hwy 100 of course with Port Isabel and Los Fresnos though LF should have been made a 5a 6 years ago. There is always a large turn out and because of the recent passing of a coach that coached both teams, I think this will make each team try harder for their late coach.
RIP

coolguycody_c
09-15-2002, 05:20 PM
Vernon Lions and Iowa Park Hawks

Old Cardinal
09-15-2002, 05:24 PM
Two of them------"The Bayou Bowl" Bridge City/Orangefield and "The College Scout's Bowl" Newton/Bridge City....Both contest are characterized by good football and good sportsmanship! Folks down here, if they don't have a hometown game that night, just mosey on over and, enjoy. No telling how many Barber's Hill fans will drive over,this Friday, to Bridge City, they have an open date that night.

2001GiddingsLB
09-15-2002, 05:25 PM
Giddings vs. La Grange longest running rivalry in 3a for obvious reasons 15 mi. apart. always a good game

BigRedfan
09-15-2002, 05:26 PM
Winnsboro and Mount Vernon are big rivals. If each team has not won a game all season, they want to win this game. For the past few years it has also decided the district championship and which team will go to the playoffs as runner up.

Head Hunter
09-15-2002, 05:45 PM
Manor and Elgin is a huge rivalry im talkin big. The last three years the schools have done numerous pranks and stuff to each others schools. Last year the game didnt even end because of tension between players. And thats a huge understatement. The towns are 10 mins apart and its a huge rivalry

eye of the tiger
09-15-2002, 06:10 PM
Commerce vs Forney is turning into a good one. Celina vs Pilot Point is another. Commerce vs Sealy have only played for the championship, but it has happened 3 times in recent years.(2 to 1)Sealy's favor. Always a good football game.

BullsFan
09-15-2002, 06:24 PM
The winner of the "Battle of Big Sandy" (Bridgeport vs. Decatur) gets to lay claim to the actual Big Sandy Creek, a river-size "creek" between the two towns. Whichever team wins, their city gets to extend their city limits sign to just past the river. I graduated in '86 and Decatur Week was a huge thing then. My dad graduated in '63 and I think it was just as huge for him.

I don't know if Celina and Pilot Point have always been archrivals in the past, but I suspect they always will be in the future. At least as long as G.A. Moore's the AD.

Oh, and just for the record, for the last ten years (since Coach Henson came), Bridgeport's had their city limits sign on the Decatur side of the Big Sandy more times than not. I'm just sayin'... http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/wink.gif

[This message has been edited by BullsFan (edited September 15, 2002).]

hornet03
09-15-2002, 06:25 PM
I like the one between Manor and Elgin. Those are always fun and it makes the football game a lot more fun.

eye of the tiger
09-15-2002, 06:27 PM
Bullsfan I like that "battle of the Big Sandy" I imagine the whole week before this game is something else. Good luck is this years game.

LVqb04
09-15-2002, 06:30 PM
La Vernia vs. Marion, aka, The Battle of Santa Clara Creek (not much of a creek though) Always a good match up, 3 out of the last 4 years, it has come down to the last minute. This rivalry continued after Marion was put back in 3A again. Used to be a big rivalry from what I heard in the 80s.

sinton66
09-15-2002, 06:33 PM
Battle for the title "the REAL Pirates", Sinton vs. Mathis.(real imaginative, huh?)

marion_man
09-15-2002, 06:37 PM
Marion vs. LaVernia is a pretty good rivalry that has picked up in the past four years. It's been pretty competitve in all sports but marion's never won any football games with the help of two one point losses. This year is not gonna be a good year to be a Bulldogs fan becasue LaVernia will wipe the floor with the Bulldogs in all sports, especially football. Don't like to see it, but it's just a reality.

hornet03
09-15-2002, 06:38 PM
Does Mathis still run the wing-t? I remeber in 99, we played mathis in the state semi-final game and nobody on our side knew where the ball was all night long. The carried out the best fakes i have ever seen in my whole life. Now that was a great game even though we lost.

Matthew328
09-15-2002, 06:41 PM
This isn't 3A but I dunno if any rivalry in the state can compete with Sherman-Denison in tradition.....the original Battle of the Ax...I don't know the exacts but I believe it is the longest continuous rivalry in the state..I remember being 7 years old and watching the game from an overpass on US 75 that runs in front of Bearcat Stadium in Sherman with a pair of binoculars...it was a packed stadium and at least 30 cars lined up on the overpass watching..

rhs_wr_06
09-15-2002, 06:56 PM
Rockdale Tigers vs. Cameron Yoe A.K.A "Battle Of The Bell"

------------------
~¤Prime Time¤~
Casey Lane

sinfan75
09-15-2002, 07:08 PM
Does Mathis still run the wing-t? I remeber in 99, we played mathis in the state semi-final game and nobody on our side knew where the ball was all night long. The carried out the best fakes i have ever seen in my whole life. Now that was a great game even though we lost.

Yep they still run it.

eye of the tiger
09-15-2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by sinton66:
Battle for the title "the REAL Pirates", Sinton vs. Mathis.(real imaginative, huh?)

This battle should be for a peg leg or hook or maybe even a parrot. arghhhhhhhh matey

sinton66
09-15-2002, 07:14 PM

Yes, they do. Chris Soza is still the HC/AD at Mathis, and is one of the best wing-t coaches I know of. (He had some GREAT teachers).

sinton66
09-15-2002, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by eye of the tiger:
This battle should be for a peg leg or hook or maybe even a parrot. arghhhhhhhh matey

I agree, eye of the tiger, you'd think we'd be able to come up with SOMETHING more imaginative! Maybe a replica cannon or a three masted schooner model?(just not ours) Problem was, for a while back Mathis was in another district and we had to play the Rockport-Fulton Pirates when they were 3A.

eye of the tiger
09-15-2002, 07:34 PM
The Sinton vs Mathis game will probably be intense enough without any more stimulus.

hornet03
09-15-2002, 07:36 PM
I believe when we played them the head coaches son was the qb so there was that extra knowledge of what was going on at all times and made it that much better

BullsFan
09-15-2002, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by eye of the tiger:
Bullsfan I like that "battle of the Big Sandy" I imagine the whole week before this game is something else. Good luck is this years game.

"Decatur Week" is actually bigger than Homecoming, if you can imagine that, eye of the tiger. There are different kinds of events planned for each day at every campus in the district, including the elementary school. Decatur has their own "Bridgeport Week". We take our rivalry seriously. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/wink.gif

sinton66
09-15-2002, 07:38 PM
That was Justin Soza, and he was a good qb for sure.

I BLEED PURPLE
09-15-2002, 08:36 PM
The NEWTON and JASPER game will be a big one.

PPHSfan
09-15-2002, 08:46 PM
The Pilot Point vs Celina game could be the biggest media frenzy of the decade this year.

P.S. I will be selling parking spots in my front yard for twenty bucks so get here early LOL

c-town_balla
09-15-2002, 08:58 PM
Cameron vs. Rockdale...only 16 miles apart we have extream hate between each other has been 'The Battle of The Bell" since '55 I beleve every year since then expect '56...Cameron has won every time since '96 and has a fairly large eage over Rockdale but it is still great and if you ever come it's a experence standing room only about 7 or 8,000 people there.

c-town_balla
09-15-2002, 08:59 PM
Cameron vs. Rockdale...only 16 miles apart we have extream hate between each other has been 'The Battle of The Bell" since '55 I beleve every year since then expect '56...Cameron has won every time since '96 and has a fairly large eage over Rockdale but it is still great and if you ever come it's a experence standing room only about 7 or 8,000 people there. O yeah we fight for a oldd railroad bell who ever wins keeps it for a year

ATMO
09-15-2002, 09:23 PM
If we're talking all classes, the mother of all rivalries is Stephenville-Brownwood. If you don't know all the fuss is about, then you obviously have never attended the game.

ThaRealBulldog
09-15-2002, 09:34 PM
Carthage v Henderson... Been playing eachother since the 40s ... Doing pranks to eachothers schools, some bad blood in this game. I love playing Henderson.

eye of the tiger
09-15-2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan:
The Pilot Point vs Celina game could be the biggest media frenzy of the decade this year.

P.S. I will be selling parking spots in my front yard for twenty bucks so get here early LOL

You are right about this game, especially this year. Would be a good one to see.

qb12
09-15-2002, 09:49 PM
Yes i would have to say Cathage v. Henderson...and When we do play Carthage v. Waxahachie...

mwynn05
09-15-2002, 09:51 PM
Fairfield vs Teague only 10 miles apart al was doing pranks to each other the week of tha game this year its our homecoming thats gonna be a great game even if they dont win a game all season and we win all of them they will give us all we want

Kool Tarpon 21
09-15-2002, 10:22 PM
I would have to say the "Battle of Highway 100". This is a battle between Port Isabel and Los Fresnos. It is called this way because we are the only schools that lie on Highway 100. This rivalry has gone on for years. Now, it has become very personal. Los Fresnos already started to vandalize our school. We will get them back on the football field. It also comes back to the death of Coach V. They said they dedicated their season to him and we did too. It has come to be a big rivalry. We will keep on with this rivalry until they understand that the Tarpons are just better.

spaniard
09-15-2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by ATMO:
If we're talking all classes, the mother of all rivalries is Stephenville-Brownwood. If you don't know all the fuss is about, then you obviously have never attended the game.

atmo, you aint kiddin about this being such a huge rivalry. i went to howard payne university in bwood, and the whole town is so tense and excited the whole week before that game its amazing, and i was a college student. these two town just really dont like each other at all.

WillsPointgradTJC
09-15-2002, 10:59 PM
Wills Point v Canton is huge, it goes back to when Wills Point was the capital of Van Zant county and Farmers from Canton came into Wills Point and Stole the County Records and a War of sorts broke out and ended up with Canton becoming the capital. So I would say that is the game with the most history!

slpybear the bullfan
09-15-2002, 11:25 PM
Bullsfan,

I think your dad graduated in '63, not '64. Please check the Bridgeport Annuals for the period.

DOH!!!

By the way, my dad graduated in '63 also.

slpybear

Bulls '89

BullsFan
09-15-2002, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan:
Bullsfan,

I think your dad graduated in '63, not '64. Please check the Bridgeport Annuals for the period.

DOH!!!

By the way, my dad graduated in '63 also.

slpybear

Bulls '89

Well crud. I think I mixed up an anniversary date and a graduation date.

*sigh* Off to fix the offending post...

slpybear the bullfan
09-15-2002, 11:56 PM
Whaddya know! My mom graduated in '65 and got married to my dad in '66... Just like your's.

Hmmm, and there's not a '64 to be had in there unless you count my Uncle Phillip.

By the way... look at my profile... VARSITY!!! 75 posts at last!

slpybear

District303aPastPlayer
09-16-2002, 12:51 AM
THe Sinton-Mathis rivalry is one of the biggest 3a rivalries south of san antonio. Also, Sinton-Taft and Sinton-Odem were huge. The Sinton-Taft rivalry got so big one year, that on the day of the game, the sinton never ending S was burned on the 50 yard line. Just so happens that the Sinton game was Tafts homecoming. Needless to say, these two town hate eachother. Sinton Mathis is huge. I played 4 years against mathis at Sinton. We Sinton Pirates hated us some mathis guys. It was the biggest game of the year, bar none.

Jacket2000
09-16-2002, 01:02 AM
It's not 3a, but one of the biggest rivalries in the state is Ennis/Waxahachie. 10 miles apart down HW 287,first offical football game between the two was in 1919, but the rivalry extends much further back than that. Plus, it's not just limited to football. Every meeting between Hachie and Ennis is a sellout; only time Ive ever heard of a volleyball or basketball game selling out. Hell, there have even been fights break out between the two at band contests. These two towns absolutely hate each other.
J2K

Matthew328
09-16-2002, 08:19 AM
Ennis and Waxahachie really do hate each other..it is quite amusing to hear somoen from Ennis talk about Hachie and vice versa...LOL

SintonFan
09-16-2002, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer:
THe Sinton-Mathis rivalry is one of the biggest 3a rivalries south of san antonio. Also, Sinton-Taft and Sinton-Odem were huge. The Sinton-Taft rivalry got so big one year, that on the day of the game, the sinton never ending S was burned on the 50 yard line. Just so happens that the Sinton game was Tafts homecoming. Needless to say, these two town hate eachother. Sinton Mathis is huge. I played 4 years against mathis at Sinton. We Sinton Pirates hated us some mathis guys. It was the biggest game of the year, bar none.

You're right about Odem and Taft playing Sinton. Those are considered the longest ones. Don't they have records of Sinton/Taft dating back over 80 years? I should remember this because the week before the Taft game the SanPat County news publishes the whole history of the series. Sinton/Mathis is a recent rivalry. Until about six years ago Mathis wasn't known for quality football (sorry Mathis fans).

sinton66
09-16-2002, 12:36 PM
Yea, seems like they got a WHOLE lot better when they obtained Soza! LOL.... Hi buddy!

Titans
09-16-2002, 12:38 PM
Odessa Permian vs. Midland Lee

Odessa Permian vs. Odessa High

Westlake vs. Westwood

BellvilleDude
09-16-2002, 07:27 PM
Bellville vs Sealy

And Also La Grange Vs Bellville does anyone know why there not playing this year, this rivary was getting pretty darn good

BullsFan
09-16-2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan:
Whaddya know! My mom graduated in '65 and got married to my dad in '66... Just like your's.

Hmmm, and there's not a '64 to be had in there unless you count my Uncle Phillip.

By the way... look at my profile... VARSITY!!! 75 posts at last!

slpybear

I was thinking your mom graduated in '66. Put your dad two years older and that's '64. THAT's where I got the anniversary and graduation date mixed up, doof. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/wink.gif

While the Bridgeport-Decatur rivalry is pretty much the biggest thing going in Wise County, I think the PPoint-Celina game would be a pretty exciting one to see. I can't imagine being in the position of either Moore or Celina. Did Moore know that he'd be playing Celina when he took the PPoint job?

AggieJohn
09-16-2002, 09:46 PM
Best of all time was Dayton Bronco's vs Liberty, Texas

IF anyone remembers that...it's been 12 years since we've been able to play them...it got so bad that UIL handed down a 10 year suspension against that game....

...my aunt used to tell me stories how they would come spraypaint our field Purple and white(their colors)and how we would send their HC/AD a cut off bronco head (their mascot) my aunt graduated only 10 years ago get that

...my grandfather who went to dayton in the 50's remembers it being just as intense...

i remember growing up as a wee lad and being told "were number one, dayton is scum"

now tell me that's not an intense rivalry

Super_Fan
09-16-2002, 10:35 PM
That's pretty crazy...but a good rivalry i would mention is "The Battle Of The Bell" between Rockdale Tigers and Cameron Yoemen. It is pretty tense too but I don't think it gets that bad.

Super_Fan
09-16-2002, 10:36 PM
I have heard there not that good but that is just a rumor.

AggieJohn
09-16-2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Super_Fan:

don't understand?

mojjo_1
09-16-2002, 10:56 PM
Try to get a ticket to the PNG-Nederland game any year.

sinfan75
09-17-2002, 05:24 AM
Sinton vs.Refugio.Even though they don't play each other in regular season they still go at it in scrimmage.Used to always be the game of the week in these parts.

Super_Fan
09-17-2002, 09:19 PM
Mistake...

OldSchoolBulldog
09-17-2002, 11:31 PM
From the old school.

A short but intense rivalry was the Jasper - Herbert between 1977 and 1981. These games were legendary. I still dream about the 1981 game. We (Jasper) were undefeated for the season but tied Hebert. They got to represent our district in the playoffs because they penetrated the 50 yard one more time the we did. Man, how I wish they had allowed multiple teams from a district to go to the playoffs back then.

Boy oh, boy, the good old days!!!!

SINTON81
09-18-2002, 08:44 AM
Used to be Sinton vs. Taft, or Sinton vs. G-P. But now I think it is Sinton vs. Mathis.

[This message has been edited by SINTON81 (edited September 18, 2002).]

Big Tarp 74
09-18-2002, 11:28 AM
The battle of HWY 100 is one of the largest that I am aware of. Some years ago, a large trophy was purchased to honnor this great game. The cost, and size of that trophy was something else. I heard, that it cost some where between 5,000 to 8,000 dollars. The trophy stands about 8 feet tall. The crowds this game draws is also something else. In many cases there is no parking or seating. It is alway labled the Game of the Week, and both channel 4, and 5 are both there. This game has always been exciting. Like I said early on, I know of no other game, even the state championship trophy is small next to this trophy. Both schools treat this game as if it was for the state championship, and can anyone blame them for trying to win this one game. The schools who wins keep the trophy at that school. I remmember they had a news report on this trophy some years ago, and even the reporter stated, that they know of no other trophy like it.

Big Tarp 74
09-18-2002, 11:31 AM
The battle of HWY 100 is one of the largest that I am aware of. Some years ago, a large trophy was purchased to honnor this great game. The cost, and size of that trophy was something else. I heard, that it cost some where between 5,000 to 8,000 dollars. The trophy stands about 8 feet tall. The crowds this game draws is also something else. In many cases there is no parking or seating. It is alway labled the Game of the Week, and both channel 4, and 5 are both there. This game has always been exciting. Like I said early on, I know of no other game, even the state championship trophy is small next to this trophy. Both schools treat this game as if it was for the state championship, and can anyone blame them for trying to win this one game. The schools who wins keep the trophy at that school. I remmember they had a news report on this trophy some years ago, and even the reporter stated, that they know of no other trophy like it.

ice78621
09-18-2002, 10:19 PM
MANOR VS. ELGIN THE BEST RIVALRY YOU CAN FIND. IT WIL BE INTERESTING TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS THIS YEAR AFTER LAST YEARS FIGHT.

District303aPastPlayer
09-19-2002, 10:26 AM
This rivalry is a 4a-5a rivalry but its Huge. The battle of the Bridge between CC Carroll and Gregory-Portland. A huge trophy goes to the winner,and bragging right for a whole year. Good lord can people from GP brag. IF they go 1-9, they will be happy beating Carroll.

SintonFan_inAustin
09-19-2002, 11:49 AM
I would have to say Sinton vs Taft. Thats about the only game taft fans attend. HEHE, and they go to root for the band. Any Sinton Fans know how long this rivalry dates back to. Remember seeing it in the San Pat and i think it goes more than 80 years back having played each other like 70 times.

toby070
09-19-2002, 12:45 PM
It's a fairly new rivalry because one of the schools was small forever and just exploded in enrollment in the last decade or so, but Hays vs. San Marcos is a great rivalry, they fill both decks on both sides of Bobcat Stadium (16,000 +) for that one. Of course, a rivalry is only a rivalry if both teams win occasionally, and Hays has our number, so......

sinfan75
09-19-2002, 01:16 PM
I think Sinton-Taft have played a little over 80 years.Boy this is strange;postin at one in the afternoon.

The One
09-19-2002, 10:44 PM
The battle of Big Sandy looks to be a huge game this year! I think this will be for the district championship and I think it could be Bridgeport's toughest game of the Year. No, I am not overlooking Gainesville, but Decatur has looked very good this year and after all it is Decatur.

spaniard
09-20-2002, 04:51 PM
before we were stopped from playing them, the burnet vs. marble falls rivalry had some stank to it. its a long 15 miles between us and them, and there is still a lot of pranksterism (is that a word?) between the two towns.

IveyOldschool02
09-20-2002, 09:44 PM
"The Warda Bowl"
La Grange vs. Giddings
How many games do you know that could average 20,000 people if both teams are having successful seasons
88 games played, 18 miles apart.