PDA

View Full Version : Big Tarp 74 Region IV Preseason Top 10

Big Tarp 74
07-26-2002, 08:41 PM
Here how I see Region IV Preseason Top 10!

1. Sinton
2. Mathis
3. Sweeny
4. Aransas Pass
5. Burnet
6. Falffaurias
7. Yoakum
8. Gonzales
9. Bandera
10. Port Isabel

Old Cardinal
07-26-2002, 09:48 PM
I would say that is quite accurate,,,,I would put Wharton in the place of Aransas Pass, based on their strong QB and heavy returnees. I just have to rely on folks like you that keep a good eye on the situation.

Big Tarp 74
07-26-2002, 09:57 PM
Old Cardinal, I agree that warton needs to be in Aransas Pass place, the only thing is Aransas is returning a whole lot of lettermen. Aransas has been some what good the last several years, and playing teams like mathis or sinton, have not hurt. Warton has a great quarterback, i just could not make up my mine ( for give me )

Originally posted by Old Cardinal:
I would say that is quite accurate,,,,I would put Wharton in the place of Aransas Pass, based on their strong QB and heavy returnees. I just have to rely on folks like you that keep a good eye on the situation.

SintonFan
07-27-2002, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by Big Tarp 74:
Here how I see Region IV Preseason Top 10!

1. Sinton
2. Mathis
3. Sweeny
4. Aransas Pass
5. Burnet
6. Falffaurias
7. Yoakum
8. Gonzales
9. Bandera
10. Port Isabel
I think your take is really close...
My deviation is:

1. Sinton (many reasons, ton of pride, get new D in ur face, heard of heard?, could be stronger)
1. Burnet (trying to kill the Bellville thing)
3. Bandera (will kill the Bellville thing)
4. Gonzales (many good Gonzales')
5. Mathis (building a program)
6. Sweeny (always alot of talent)
7. Port Isabel (now has a new grudge)
8. Wharton (let them make some noise first)
9. Yoakum (coach crow, love-hate, hate-love)
10. Cuero (you count them out, I won't!)
Hopefully, I'm not too spurious on this assesment. I don't know how all this will come December.
Folks, post your own opinion...

[This message has been edited by SintonFan (edited July 27, 2002).]

Matthew328
07-27-2002, 11:48 AM
1. Sinton: You'd be crazy not to have them number one..

2. Burnet: too much talent back to not have em rated high...tough non-district schedule we'll know about them quick..

3. Bandera: the likely move to D2 will help them out a TON...

4. Gonzales: those guys are always tough but seem to have the worst luck when it comes to drawing tough playoff opponents..

5. Wharton: talent, talent, talent..maybe the most athletically gifted team in the region...if they can get it together look out..

6. Mathis: is it possible to quietly go 10-3..Mathis maybe did..been an excellent program lately it'll continue in 2002...

7. Sweeny: always talented, will be a bit young but the Dawgs are always a contender..

8. Yoakum: another consistent winner lately...the Bulldogs have a good back returning in Harrison..

9. Port Isabel: the most talked about team on the board?? The further they go the more you'll know about these guys..

10. Aransass Pass: did they graduate anyone last year? LOL I think they have back more than just about anyone in the state aside from Marlin...with 10-7 back they'll be experienced and could be a force in 30-3A

M.PIRATEFAN
07-28-2002, 08:20 PM
Say Matthew ,You know that this is great. I have a great feeling that Mathis will make it to state this year in division 2!! Why?
We have a awesome coaches and a great program. We have an experience line that is coming back.Also help from a jv team that went 10-0. Also heard from a friend of mine from Mathis that there is a sophmore qb that has the arm, height and speed to run the offense. Don't know his name but be looking out for him.Might be another Ty Gunn.Ha,Ha,Ha!!!!!! Anyways, can't wait to get this show on the road.

SintonFan
07-28-2002, 08:38 PM
Hey people! This is your region! Post your own Top 10 for the region! http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/biggrin.gif
66, 75, M.PIRATEFAN, Hart, footballgal just to name a few...
What's YOUR take on the region...
don't be shy http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/wink.gif it's all good...

M.PIRATEFAN
07-28-2002, 09:19 PM
1.Sinton
2.Mathis
3.Burnet
4.Gonzales
5.Yoakum
6.Aransas Pass
7.Fal.
8.Bandera
9.Port I.
10.Cuero
Sinton, the reason i put yall number one was because yall made it to state last year.No disrespect, but yall have to replace what yall lost.I see yall going far this year as well. As for Mathis well it's there we just need to get it together.

Chris Hart
07-28-2002, 09:38 PM
1.Burnet
2.Sinton
3.Bandera
4.Mathis
5.Yoakum
6.Gonzales
7.Sweeny
8.Port Isabel
9.Wharton
10.Falfurrias

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-28-2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan:
Hey people! This is your region! Post your own Top 10 for the region! http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/biggrin.gif
66, 75, M.PIRATEFAN, Hart, footballgal just to name a few...
What's YOUR take on the region...
don't be shy http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/wink.gif it's all good...

Ok SintonFan, i'll bite, and here's MY Top 10

1. Sinton (WILL represent South Texas well, and beat that DAMNED Region 2 team, WHOEVER IT IS!!!)
2. Gonzalez (recent success paying dividends)
3. Burnet (always a good team)
4. Mathis (y'all are gettin' good now.....)
5. Yoakum (good RB coming back)
6. Port Isabel (payback time vs. Yoakum! Check out P.I.'s record in "payback" games)
7. Bandera (would love to see another "sea of blue" game....Bandera vs. P.I....of course after P.I. pays back Yoakum)
8. La Vernia (almost always good team)
9. Cuero (I NEVER count these guys out)
10.Hondo (have always had good teams)

I leave out Wharton because i'm not a very big believer of ranking a weak 4A team that drops down to 3A highly. Sure, they have talent, and are used to playing 4A level competition, but it doesn't mean it will lead to immediate success at the 3A level. I think they will be a definite Division I playoff team, but as to how far they go, it won't matter when they end up playing Sinton.

Also, I thought i'd mention this. Did you wonder what happened to the "Rio Grande Valley Football" link on the board? I think Jacket deleted it. Here's what happened.

I made up a four game non-district schedule for Port Isabel, IF I had the power to make the schedule. I mentioned that Commerce is way too far away for P.I. to have a non-district game with. Jacket comes on and says something to the effect that distance wouldn't be the only thing to worry about when playing Commerce. I replied by basically saying that I would be up for the challenge, and that when it comes to playing Port Isabel, toss EVERYTHING out the window because all P.I. does is to "just shut up and play football"

I'm not sure if any of you (people who support Region 4 teams) saw that posting. Maybe Jacket didn't want any of you to see and realize that we Region 4 teams are NOT afraid of playing a good Region 2 team? Who knows.......just a little something for y'all to kinda make you say "hmmmmm"

The only question I have for Jacket is "What's up with THAT"????

Owen B
07-28-2002, 10:16 PM
I was puzzled by that thread's disappearance also.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-28-2002, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Owen B:

You are from Commerce. I mean NO disrespect whatsoever to the Commerce Tigers.

All I stated was that Commerce was way too far away to play a non-district regular season game with, and all I told Jacket was that I (as a coach) would be up for the challenge, and would NOT be afraid to play Commerce. I also mentioned that all the smack talking and stuff should just be thrown out the window because one of P.I.'s mottos is "just shut up and play football".

I don't know what Jacket is up to.....maybe he didn't want anyone to see that there was actually someone in South Texas who has no fear of Commerce? I don't know, but it is rather suspicious that that particular link has vanished into thin air.

Matthew328
07-28-2002, 11:15 PM
LOL hey there is no guarantee Sinton (if they make it to the tittle game will play a Region 2 team...a little region 1 team could be there..LOL)

htownfbman
07-28-2002, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by TarponFanInNorthTexas:

1. Sinton (WILL represent South Texas well, and beat that DAMNED Region 2 team, WHOEVER IT IS!!!)
6. Port Isabel (payback time vs. Yoakum! Check out P.I.'s record in "payback" games)
7. Bandera (would love to see another "sea of blue" game....Bandera vs. P.I....of course after P.I. pays back Yoakum)

I leave out Wharton because i'm not a very big believer of ranking a weak 4A team that drops down to 3A highly. Sure, they have talent, and are used to playing 4A level competition, but it doesn't mean it will lead to immediate success at the 3A level. I think they will be a definite Division I playoff team, but as to how far they go, it won't matter when they end up playing Sinton.

Also, I thought i'd mention this. Did you wonder what happened to the "Rio Grande Valley Football" link on the board? I think Jacket deleted it. Here's what happened.

I made up a four game non-district schedule for Port Isabel, IF I had the power to make the schedule. I mentioned that Commerce is way too far away for P.I. to have a non-district game with. Jacket comes on and says something to the effect that distance wouldn't be the only thing to worry about when playing Commerce. I replied by basically saying that I would be up for the challenge, and that when it comes to playing Port Isabel, toss EVERYTHING out the window because all P.I. does is to "just shut up and play football"

I'm not sure if any of you (people who support Region 4 teams) saw that posting. Maybe Jacket didn't want any of you to see and realize that we Region 4 teams are NOT afraid of playing a good Region 2 team? Who knows.......just a little something for y'all to kinda make you say "hmmmmm"

wharton moved down to 3a at the last realignment so this will be their third year in 3a, so they have gotten used to playin at this level now.

SintonFan
07-29-2002, 12:20 AM

Somethings not right...
even I am getting tired of the Sinton Talk, but everyone deserves to be heard.

Jacket2000
07-29-2002, 02:55 AM

Yes, I deleted it b/c it had basicly became a pissing contest, and those always turn out ugly.So, I thought Id just save us all some face and nip it in the bud.
No one ever claimed that PI, or anyone else, would be scared of Commerce or any other team for that matter. You, as well as a few other posters, seem to be on a mission to prove that RGV football is up to par with the rest of the state, and it very well may be. But, untill it is proven(by which I mean having at least one serious contender year in and year out), I, as well as most of the rest of the state, will continue to believe otherwise.
J2K

MATHIS_hot_air
07-29-2002, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by M.PIRATEFAN:
1.Sinton
2.Mathis
3.Burnet
4.Gonzales
5.Yoakum
6.Aransas Pass
7.Fal.
8.Bandera
9.Port I.
10.Cuero
Sinton, the reason i put yall number one was because yall made it to state last year.No disrespect, but yall have to replace what yall lost.I see yall going far this year as well. As for Mathis well it's there we just need to get it together.

M.PIRATEFAN, what changed your mind from your July 3rd posting of your overall state TOP 20? Back then you had Burnet ranked #8 and Mathis ranked #10. Bandera was ranked #6 and you had Cuero at #18. You didn't even have Gonzales, Yoakum, Aransas Pass or Fal. even ranked in your state Top 20.(The one that got me laughing was Bandera ranked #6 in state and only #8 in your region 4 rankings.)

Big Tarp 74
07-29-2002, 03:02 PM
As for placing Port Isabel in any pole, I am a Port Isabel fan, but I also realize that Port Isabel has some huge hills to clime. First Port Isabel will have to work with it Defense, reason coach V is gone, new coach, different styles. New offense coach, different styles. I beleive PI will have enough trouble, getting through it schedule, if they are luckly enough, they might just make it to the play offs. I only place them at 10th in Region 4, because i beleive they could could begin to gel. The other reason would be transfers, only if they can place them in the game plan without upsetting other ball players. The coaches are going to have a fun day with all of this. One or two great player can not bring a state championship. It has to be a team effort. The football program is still being rebuilt, it will take at least 2 to 3 more years to get the program in shape. In time Port Isabel will slowly rise backup. It great to see people giving their view of Region V, I guess I was taken back by some remarks, about our district not being able to compete with other district, The fact is there are many great teams from all regions of texas, many of which are not given a chance, only because they have not heard of them, or because they seldom advance past the 1st, or 2nd round. Do not take my remarks to heart, us football fans try to protect our teams image. My feelings have always been, you will not know untill the game has been played, and finished, then you will know. Good Luck to all the teams in Region 4, and may the best team truly win.

Owen B
07-29-2002, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Jacket2000:
Yes, I deleted it b/c it had basicly became a pissing contest, and those always turn out ugly.So, I thought Id just save us all some face and nip it in the bud.
No one ever claimed that PI, or anyone else, would be scared of Commerce or any other team for that matter. You, as well as a few other posters, seem to be on a mission to prove that RGV football is up to par with the rest of the state, and it very well may be. But, untill it is proven(by which I mean having at least one serious contender year in and year out), I, as well as most of the rest of the state, will continue to believe otherwise.
J2K
I agree about the RGV "mission" but I don't think the thread should have been deleted. I didn't see anything about it that violated board policy. However, it's your board and your call.

Big Tarp 74
07-29-2002, 05:55 PM
I agree with J2k, I have no problem with what he is stating. I hope down the road the RGV will be able to prove to themselves as well as to the rest of the State of Texas. Enough said!!

Originally posted by Jacket2000:
J2K
I agree about the RGV "mission" but I don't think the thread should have been deleted. I didn't see anything about it that violated board policy. However, it's your board and your call.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-29-2002, 07:29 PM
I don't think I said anything wrong in the RGV Football thread. And i'm not sure how things could have gotten "out of hand" when I was simply stating some cold, hard facts. I'm sorry that Jacket seemed to take offense to it.

Big Tarp 74
07-29-2002, 08:12 PM
I know that I respond, but I dont recall saying anything bad. At times I thought Jk2 was trying to imply that Port Isabel would just laydown because we were playing in region II. I just tried to remind him that I remember what happen to Hondo in 1981. That was an intense game, with some of the hardest hitting I every saw. The more aggressive Hondo became the more aggressive PI became, but something happend, PI began to just smack Hondo arround. These were not love taps, but getting you helmet planted into the ground. Player were injured. You can never say, that one division is better than another. There are so many teams in each division, and the best teams, may have never made it out. Who knows. I did not even know that Jk2 had even remove it. I am sorry if I might have caused it. If I did forgive me. I care for all the teams in region 4.

I don't think I said anything wrong in the RGV Football thread. And i'm not sure how things could have gotten "out of hand" when I was simply stating some cold, hard facts. I'm sorry that Jacket seemed to take offense to it.

sinfan75
07-29-2002, 09:19 PM
1.Sinton
2.Burnet
3Wharton
4.Gonzales
5.Bandera
6.Port Isabel
7.Aransas Pass
8.Cuero
9.Yoakum
10.Sweeny

sinton66
07-29-2002, 09:30 PM
1.Sinton, 2.Burnet, 3.Edna, 4.Sweeny, 5.Mathis, 6.Aransas Pass, 7.Cuero, 8.Port Isabel, 9.Bandera, 10.Gonzales.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-29-2002, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Big Tarp 74:
I know that I respond, but I dont recall saying anything bad. At times I thought Jk2 was trying to imply that Port Isabel would just laydown because we were playing in region II. I just tried to remind him that I remember what happen to Hondo in 1981. That was an intense game, with some of the hardest hitting I every saw. The more aggressive Hondo became the more aggressive PI became, but something happend, PI began to just smack Hondo arround. These were not love taps, but getting you helmet planted into the ground. Player were injured. You can never say, that one division is better than another. There are so many teams in each division, and the best teams, may have never made it out. Who knows. I did not even know that Jk2 had even remove it. I am sorry if I might have caused it. If I did forgive me. I care for all the teams in region 4.

No, BigTarp, it was apparently something I said. I still don't know what or how Jacket took offense to it.

Jacket2000
07-30-2002, 02:21 AM
No, BigTarp, it was apparently something I said. I still don't know what or how Jacket took offense to it.
No, I didnt take offense to anything,nor was anything in violation of board policy. It was just something that was well on it's way to getting outta hand. So, rather than have any trouble, I felt it would be better to just get rid of it.
J2K

MATHIS_hot_air
07-30-2002, 06:15 AM
of all people, I thought the administrators could keep a thread "on topic"

sinton66
07-30-2002, 08:32 AM
Jacket, if you felt that way, then I'm proud of you for doing it! As for the other folks here, you could always start another thread.