PDA

View Full Version : Early Votes are In!!!

REBEL II
12-02-2001, 12:33 AM
Cast your vote for 3A coach of the Year!

Division I?
Division II?
Overall?

3ABirdMan
12-02-2001, 12:53 AM
Coach Barbay of Newton. The quality of the teams this man fields year after year, from such a small player base, is phenominal!

Jacket2000
12-02-2001, 02:14 AM
Div 2 would have to be Richard Barrett of Kennedale. In his first year, he's taken the Wildcats to their first playoff berth in 6(maybe 5) years and to their best season in school history(12 wins).
Im not sure about Div1, but Im thinking Zapata's Jose Saenz. He's taken the Hawks to their first 10 win season and first district championship in school history.
J2K

[This message has been edited by Jacket2000 (edited December 02, 2001).]

purple swarm
12-02-2001, 12:15 PM
CURTIS BARBAY FROM NEWTON, JUST LOOK AT HIS RECORD AND WHAT HE DOES YEAR AFTER YEAR.

Jacket2000
12-02-2001, 12:22 PM
Maybe you didnt read the first post in this thread correctly. It said Coach of the Year, as in THIS year. Im sure Coach Barbay is a great coach but, he hasnt done anything extraordinary this year.
J2K

Old Cardinal
12-02-2001, 12:29 PM
Curtis Barbay, of course, he has the imagination to take a school with around 400 students and play ball with the big Div I 4A major football progams. He would schedule the 5A's if they would play him.

Old Cardinal
12-02-2001, 12:33 PM
Jacket, I am shocked that you said that Barbay has done nothing extraordinary this year! Were you just fishing for compliments for the Coaches in the Dallas-FW area?

eye of the tiger
12-02-2001, 12:35 PM
DI--How about Gary Newcomb of Perryton. The Panhandle Pirates have quitely progressed to win the region 1 title. Remarkable.

DII--Still working on DII

Jacket2000
12-02-2001, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal:
Jacket, I am shocked that you said that Barbay has done nothing extraordinary this year! Were you just fishing for compliments for the Coaches in the Dallas-FW area?

No, I didnt start this post. What I meant was, Im not shocked at all that Newton is still in the playoffs. Newton consistantly fields tough teams year after year. So,making it this far in the playoffs is nothing extraordinary for Barbay.It's just business as usual. But, for Kennedale to do what they've done this year, as well as Zapata, is extraordinary. Both teams have had their best season in school history, and one is still going. That's why I picked them.
I had considered Perryton for Div1, but once again, it's really not that much of a shock to see Perryton doing well.
J2K

Hitters
12-02-2001, 02:14 PM
DII
How about Danny Henson for Bridgeport. He has taken a fair team and has them the furthest in the playoffs Bridgeport has ever been. In the process of doing so they have knocked off some really good teams. He definatley has to get some consideration if they knock off Kennedale this week.

Specklebelly
12-02-2001, 03:38 PM
Not sure of the guy's name but the Giddings coach should be considered. They weren't picked by anyone to do anything this year and they have the best team Ive personally seen this year. He must have done something right.

eye of the tiger
12-02-2001, 03:44 PM
Specklebelly I believe the Giddings coach is Robert Ivey.

evebulldog01
12-02-2001, 03:49 PM
Hey how about Evermans coach dale Keeling he has turned that program around.

bleedgreen
12-02-2001, 03:58 PM
Richard Barrett, 1st year coach of Kennedale, has my vote in DII. Last night's win in San Angelo, despite horrible ref calls, puts the Wildcats into the school history books. As I've said earlier, the Bridgeport/Kennedale game is going to be an offensive lover's feast. Again, who scores last will win.

joe gooch
12-02-2001, 04:02 PM
Jacket, you can't see the forest for the trees. Babies in Newton are not born with a football helment on their heads. Barbay, with the help of several other coaches, make them football players. He has been doing this for so long(about 25 years) that you have come to expect it. The factis, he is an extraordinary coach year after year and with just 3 steps to go for a state championship, he has proved it again. He has my vote.

Backwoods
12-02-2001, 04:46 PM
Joe: You know we're all with you. However, Jacket seems to have payed Coach Barbay a great compliment. When you do a super job every year, people just see it as a normal year. We've come to expect it, and so have others. We know that we have the best coaching staff all the time. Others on here second guess their coaches and belittle them.We don't have to do that. They get the most out of the kids every year. See ya in Huntsville.

Jacket2000
12-02-2001, 05:37 PM
Exactly, I never took anything away from Coach Barbay. He's a great coach. But, for Newton to be 2 games away from state is nothing new. If the question had been "best coach in 3A", Im not sure if Id name him as the best, but he'd definately be on the list. But, in my opinion, the most extraordinary(meaning something that is out of the ordinary) team this year is Kennedale. Zapata is probably #2. Both have done what their programs have never done and have far exceeded what anyone ever thought they'd do. THAT is the reason for my opinion.
J2K

joe gooch
12-02-2001, 08:58 PM
I stand corrected on this poll, Jacket. This is an excelent year for Newton and Barbay allthough not extraodinary. However, I stand by my guns on Barbay. He is an extraordinary coach.

Da Mules
12-02-2001, 09:54 PM
Don't forget David Wood way out in left field in Muleshoe. Now in his 6th year, he took over one of the absolutely worst losingest programs in the state, and has turned it 180 degrees. In all honesty, he didn't have a lot to work with this year; yet still won the 2-3A co-championship, and went 2 rounds in the playoffs. He succeeds because of leadership, discipline, and caring about his kids...that is sucess in itself without winning, but he has made a bunch of "slow" W TX kids from small-town Podunk into winners. He showed last year what he can do with a good bunch; and we have some more good ones coming up in 2-3 years.

[This message has been edited by Da Mules (edited December 02, 2001).]

CHS_DT38
12-02-2001, 10:10 PM
Dale Keeling of Everman has turned there program into a state championship team. Go Everman represent for district 10-3A

Matthew328
12-02-2001, 10:58 PM
Coach Keeling has done a good job at Everman but remember...Everman has been a consistent winner for over 15 years now....in the mid to late 80's Everman was a state power in 4A and throughout the 90's Everman was a consistent winner with 7-3 and 8-2 seasons being the norm...Everman has always had talent..they just haven't become a force until they went to 3A..if Everman was 3A in previous years they would have been a power also..in Division 1 my COY goes to...Jose Saenz of Zapata...and my Divison 2 award goes to Richard Barrett at Kennedale..

TEXANS
12-03-2001, 11:52 AM
Dan Burk of Wimberley took a wide reciever(Mikey Meeks)and put him at QB for his Sr. year and made it to the State Quarterfinals!
He get's my vote!

toby070
12-03-2001, 12:32 PM
I think Coach Burk would be a great choice. He has a great group of kids, but he gets the most of their talent.

REBEL II
12-03-2001, 04:01 PM
I agree with Mathew, not to take anything away from the Evermen coach but they have benefited more fron moving down to 3A.
They were a strong 4A program and have always had speed to burn!

What about 17AAA?

REBEL II
12-04-2001, 05:10 PM
Gatesvilles' coach gets my vote. He took over a program that was hit heavy with graduation, including the head coach from a year ago who moved on to 5A. Plus this was his very 1st Head coaching job! They won the district and I don't beleive they were picked to make the play-offs. Pretty good!

Trainer_Chick
12-04-2001, 05:50 PM
Dan Burk - hands down! He runs his entire organization with class and it shows. He instills integrity and respect in his players which will make them better people in the long run. Plus his strength program is phenomenal and it is ALL NATURAL!

oldbuff78
12-04-2001, 08:05 PM
BARBAY OR IVEY FOR COACH OF THE YEAR!!!
ONE OF THESE COACHES WILL BE THE COACH OF THE NEXT STATE TITLE TEAM.

3aFootball4Life
12-05-2001, 04:35 PM
I think that Coach Robert Ivey Is a very good pick for coach of the year for 3a look a what he has done for Giddings who wasn't even pick to win district much less make it to the 4th round of playoffs.

Giddings has been under rated all year and Ivey has done and outstanding job with them.

Cardinal'80
12-05-2001, 04:44 PM
What about BC's Conway not even ranked in the top 20 this year and has taken BC to the playoffs two years in a row, Not to mention brought excitment back to the city and has every kid going out for football, at last years 7th grade game they had 107 kids suited up and only 3 in the PE class, now that is turning a program around!

ej2525
12-05-2001, 04:50 PM
Not to mention that Bridge City has not been in this position since 1966 in the playoffs.

Backwoods
12-05-2001, 05:19 PM
I'm behind you BC, but I must ask if this is the same Coach Conway y'all were raking over the coals after the Newton and Orangefield games? What a difference a month and a few wins make. Go Cards/Eagles.

bigcats
12-05-2001, 10:26 PM
Richard Barrett of Kennedale is the best in 3a. If he turned this group of kids into a 12-1 team and still going then last years team would have won state

ej2525
12-06-2001, 08:33 AM
I hear you Backwoods... That was a small handfull of want-to-be couch coaches who make terrible comments about the play calling in the game thinking their way to do things is better. The way I see it is: "A win is a win". Those persons don't carry the attitude of most folks.

REBEL II
12-07-2001, 10:43 PM
It will all change again after this week I'm sure

oldbuff78
12-08-2001, 09:32 AM
ROBERT IVEY FOR HAVING SUCH A BIG SET OF COHITAS FOR PREPARING HIS TEAM AND MAKING ADJUSTMENTS.

g-town fan
12-08-2001, 03:30 PM
Ivey has got to be considered, especially if you saw that play he called last night when it was 4th and 5. The game all rested on that single play and he was gutsy enough to call the halfback pass and it worked. Good luck Buffs!

GiddingsFan
12-08-2001, 05:43 PM
How could you vote against Ivey this year???

He has done so much for this Giddings team and has shown with his play calling of late that he is capable of coaching his team to victory...

REBEL II
12-08-2001, 07:42 PM
Does Ivey call the plays? or does his Offensive Coordinator? I think Ivey just does the kicking game.

oldbuff78
12-08-2001, 07:50 PM
PRICE CALLS THE OFF PLAYS, IVEY CALLS DEF. AND EVERYTHING ELSE.

REBEL II
12-14-2001, 11:41 PM
Maybe Coach V. from LaGrange?????????
Results tell the tale.

SintonFan_inAustin
12-15-2001, 01:48 AM
Sinton's Coach Brent Davis taking the pirates to the first state title game
D2 La Granges Coach after a sub par regular season has his team back in the title game.

i Guess its Region 4 VS Region 2 in the state title games.