PDA

View Full Version : Comparing 1980 Pitt and 1983 Daingerfield

Matthew328
03-26-2003, 09:10 AM
I finally tracked down the full season scores for these 2 teams..which in my opinion are amoung the greatest 3A teams of all time....

1980 Pittsburg (15-0)
Mt Pleasant 15-14
Jefferson 34-0
Linden-Kildare 47-0
Jacksonville 14-7
Daingerfield 21-0
Paris N Lamar 16-0
Pattonville Prariland 34-0
Mt Vernon 47-0
Winnsboro 50-0
Clarksville 33-0
DeKalb 21-0
Van 24-0
Decatur 28-0
Stamford 35-0
Van Vleck 13-2

Average score Pittsburg 28.8 Opponents 1.5
Mt Pleasant scored 14 on Pitt they lost to Paris by 7 in 4A bi-district..Paris lost in the 4A State Finals....

1983 Daingerfield (16-0)
Kilgore 35-2
Gilmer 14-0
Carthage 10-6
Linden-Kildare 27-0
Omaha Paul Pewitt 42-0
Hughes Springs 32-0
Queen City 76-0
DeKalb 48-0
Hooks 45-0
New Boston 56-0
Clarksville 43-0
Robinson 22-0
Kaufman 49-0
Gladewater 51-0
Post 42-0
Sweeny 42-0

Average score Daingerfield 39.6 Opponents .5
Kilgore scored their safety on a snap that went over the punters head..Carthage scored on a blocked FG returned for a TD...Daingerfield's defense gave up ZERO points for the entire year...wow Carthage lost in the 4A Semi-Finals that season..I feel the 1983 Daingerfield team was the greatest 3A team of all time..but the 1980 Pitt squad gets overlooked...

vet93
03-26-2003, 09:55 AM
I can't disagree Matt. I saw the state championship game that year against Sweeny. They had two touchdowns called back. The whole second half was just a big party on the Daingerfield side. They were putting offensive linemen in at running back etc...The score could have easily been 60+ to 0. Watching that game was one of my most cherished football game memories, not because I wanted to see Sweeny lose or because it was a close game. It stands out in my mind because I have never seen a team dominate the way they dominated. They had speed, power, size and they could intimidate verbally. I was a junior in high school at the time and would have loved to play them just to say that we played the best.

Matthew328
03-26-2003, 04:09 PM
I really wish I was old enough to have seen that kind of greatness I was only 3 at the time and I may have been 4 by the state title game...my dad saw that team play Kaufman and he said he thought they possibly could have won 5A....he also said the 1980 Pittsburg team was every bit as good on defense as 1983 Daingerfield, they just weren't as strong on offense..

St. Ivender
03-26-2003, 05:34 PM
I saw Daingerfield play Robinson in the playoffs that year. I was a year removed from high school and had played on a good HS team. I had kept up with D'field all year hearing about their incredible run from a friend in college who was from D'field and constantly popping off that my 3A team could score on them. Robinson didn't even cross the 50. In pre-game warm-ups Robinson's kicker was nailing 50 yarders. The thought crossed my 19 year old mind that Robinson's coach might go for a field goal on first down if they got into that kid's range. They never did. But 20 years later I'm still cocky enough to believe we would have scored on them. Not taking ANYTHING away from them mind you, they were great!

vet93
03-26-2003, 06:00 PM
St. Ivender...I feel the same way. Our team was one game away from playing them that year. We lost to Post in a close game that could have gone either way. Post went on to play Daingerfield and get beat 42-0. I think that we had a team that might have had a chance to score on them. Post was primarily a running team...Dfield destroyed running teams. the only way that I think that you might could have gotten into field goal range would have been utilizing a short, quick stike passing attack against them. You had to have short routes because their d-line would give you about 3 seconds to get the ball off. You would have to put 4 and 5 recievers in the pattern and use alot of formations. If you tried the long ball, their speed would run under the ball or their d-line would sack you. Our team had a qb that could thread the needle,some good recievers and a complicated offense (Randy Allen was our coach...now at Highland Park). I had always thought that we were tailor-made to score on them that year...notice that I said score...not win! Of course it probably would have just made them mad and they would have beat us 77 to 3 instead of 42 to 0!!! :D

St. Ivender:
But 20 years later I'm still cocky enough to believe we would have scored on them. Not taking ANYTHING away from them mind you, they were great!

St. Ivender
03-27-2003, 02:19 PM
Vet, we were a big play running team that rarely threw the ball. When we threw we usually scored because the defense was stacked up to prevent the run. I agree with you about the "scoring" and "winning" aspects against the '83 Daingerfield team. Score yes, win maybe.