PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Byerly

St. Ivender
10-25-2003, 11:25 PM
A very respectable Newtonian recently insisted that Mr Byerly had more yardage his junior year than his senior year. I graduated with Mr. Byerly and KNOW he had more yardage his/our senior year. The total was in the neighborhood of 3080 yards in 1981. He ran for roughly 2000 our junior year 1980.

Will some of you Newton followers and/or other football aficianados back me up to correct this wayward fellow who sometimes graces this board with his presence. Also websites with proof would help.

EAGLE89
10-26-2003, 01:55 AM
Hey, St. Anthony's senior year ('81) he ran for 3074 yards, according to www.sportsfansofamerica.com, (http://www.sportsfansofamerica.com,) www.nflhs.com, (http://www.nflhs.com,) and www.smoaky.com. (http://www.smoaky.com.) This last site also listed his career yardage @ 6,531yds., 384 yds. in single game against Crockett in '81 and 58 td's for his career.
none of these websites listed any stats for 1980 (that i could find), which would have been his jr. year. by the way, wasn't there a pretty good linebacket playing for crockett at about that time?

St. Ivender
10-27-2003, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the info. I hope my friend reads this post. The linebacker you speak of was Eugene Lockhart. He had graduated a few years (I think) before us but I remember looking up at the night sky after he put me on my back with a forearm shiver.

Wildcat81
10-27-2003, 12:03 PM
I remember playing agaist Anthony Byerly my senior
year 81.

St. Ivender
10-27-2003, 12:34 PM
My senior year ('81 season) we smoked Kirbyville pretty good 63-0 or so. I don't remember the score of the '80 game.

Bobkat
10-27-2003, 01:02 PM
Wow was he something. I remember watching him play like it was yesterday. My uncle played for Orangefield during those years, and I remember watching two classic games between Newton and Orangefield. The first game was at Orangefield in pre-district play. Orangefield had a very good team that year and just took the lead with a few minutes left in the game, but that lead did't last long after Byerly took the ensuing kickoff to the house for the game winner. Then next time they met was in the playoffs at Lamar's Cardinal Stadium in Beaumont. It was one of the best games I've ever seen. Byerly couldn't be stopped, but Newton couldn't stop the power running of Tommy Peevey. The game went back and forth with Newton winning a close one 28-21(I believe) at the end. Byerly was the first running back that I saw that really made people look stupid trying to tackle him. He was an incredible football player. Newton had a very good team that year, but I believe they lost in the 3rd round to Cameron. I didn't see anyone beating them that year, because I knew how good that Orangefield team was, probably the best team to ever come out of Orangefield.

<small>[ October 27, 2003, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: Bobkat ]</small>

St. Ivender
10-27-2003, 01:43 PM
Orangefield was one of the toughest teams we faced that year. Let me correct you on one thing. You are fairly accurate on everything but the first game Newton recovered a fumble at about our own 10 yard line with about a minute to play. We gave the ball to Mr Byerly on the "scat" left until we finally took it to the house with 9 seconds left. Very exciting. Anthony went across the goal line backwards with his hand in the air and the "Number 1" finger aloft. I was on the field for the whole thing and I'll never forget it.

Bobkat
10-27-2003, 01:53 PM
That's right, I remember that now. I was young, but I remember those two heartbreaking losses. Didn't he return a punt or kickoff during that game though? I thought that's how the game ended, but your right, I remember now cause Orangefield was driving to put the game away and fumbled. What was the final score in that first game? Ya'll had a great team that year man, yall were fun to watch.

St. Ivender
10-27-2003, 02:59 PM
Bobkat:
That's right, I remember that now. I was young, but I remember those two heartbreaking losses. Didn't he return a punt or kickoff during that game though? I thought that's how the game ended, but your right, I remember now cause Orangefield was driving to put the game away and fumbled. What was the final score in that first game? Ya'll had a great team that year man, yall were fun to watch.Which one of those tough SOB's was your uncle? I always thought I saw Peavey's wife and kids waving from the sidelines. That guy was a hoss as well as the bigger Pwvwto. Ed Peveto was a class act too.

Wildcat81
10-27-2003, 07:39 PM
St. Ivender:
My senior year ('81 season) we smoked Kirbyville pretty good 63-0 or so. I don't remember the score of the '80 game.Was it that bad :confused: