PDA

View Full Version : All District selections political?

Cat22
11-27-2003, 07:52 PM
What do you guys think? Here is what happened in district 21-3A. Thomas Hamrick, senior running back from Orangefield, led the district in rushing yards and led his team to the second round of the playoffs, made second team all-district. There were five running backs selected for first team and he was not one of them. WHAT!!!!! He was beat out by a running back who had half the yards he had and that team only won one game this year and none in district play. So I guess my questions is what should all district be based on? Hamrick was very vaulable to this team. He is what made the offense so effective. The key for Orangefield was to establish the run, to open up the passing attack. Without him our running game would not have been as good, therefore limiting our offense to just the pass. In every level of football from High School to the Pros, to be successful you have to have a running game. He may not be as good of an athlete as the kid from the 1-9 team, but he was more vauable to his team. Think about it, if the 1-9 team did not have their running back, would they have been any worse, well maybe they would have went 0-10 instead of 1-9. No disrespect to the kid from the 1-9 team because I know he is a good athlete who comes from a long line of good athletes from his town, but should a team that did not win a game in district have three kids on the first team. In my opinion I say no. Thanks guys for letting me vent. Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving.

Pudlugger
11-27-2003, 08:35 PM
Hamrick should be First Team. He is a very strong, quick and patient runner who reliably advances the ball. Any back that rushes for 1300 yards and gets passed over for First Team has a legitimate complaint. It is the district coaches who vote though, so what are you going to do? The coaches probably were tipping their hats to the poor coach from the 1-9 team.

<small>[ November 27, 2003, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: Pudlugger ]</small>

xlr8tor
11-28-2003, 02:59 AM
Cat 22, being from Kountze, the 1-9 team, I have to agree with you totally, 100%. I saw only one player for Kountze, the QB, that possibly deserved to be named all-district. But with a 1-9 record and not really any standouts, in my opinion, you gotta wonder. I suspect that it is something political. But, it is typical of the society we live in. Everybody wants everybody to be a winner, and when you have competition that just will not happen. I thought this district was weaker this year than in the past. I thought Kountze did better this year, record not withstanding, or the other district teams were a little weaker. It's a shame if it is political, which it very well could be. But, all-district or not, Orangefield made the playoffs, Kountze was bouncing balls, somewhere we can excel a little better. Congrats to Orangefield on a season well played, even if post season awards weren't given on talent. Just my take.

cubs
11-28-2003, 08:35 AM
If they voted by ballot - it would probably be more legit. But having a meeting where they all sit around the table and "talk" about it - what do you think? All-district voting should be done by secret ballot and then counted by an independent agency for it not to be political. Not all districts operate this way but when you see something like you're talking about - you can bet it does - that's when it shows - when the better player is left off or someone with less stats is put ahead of a guy who has really performed. I tell my kids not to get too excited either way about these post-season honors. If you make it and you truly deserved it - you know it - then get excited - but it always seems like we see things that should or shouldn't have been. And, the kids know who deserved what - they were out there playing with or against them.

CatsDen
11-28-2003, 08:46 AM
You'll hear a lot of people say, "Don't worry about those post season awards", or "they don't really mean anything anyway", but I disagree. I would imagine that those awards would help in the recruiting process. If nothing else, it gets the player's name out there a little more. Look at the player profiles on College websites...if the player was All-District, All-Area, or All-State then you can almost bet that it will be mentioned in his profile. When you read a press release regarding a kid signing a letter of intent, the awards are almost always listed. I believe it does matter, and it certainly counts for the players. The award validates the effort the player has put out all season. The awards should go to those that deserve it most, not based on a coach's sympathy for a losing team, or some other non-football reasons.

Cat22
11-28-2003, 09:53 AM
Let me give you another example. When I was senior a good friend of mine was selected second team all district, but first team all state. So he was the second best player at his position in the district, but the best player at his position in the state. Come on.

Cat22
11-28-2003, 10:25 AM
xlr8tor:
Cat 22, being from Kountze, the 1-9 team, I have to agree with you totally, 100%. I saw only one player for Kountze, the QB, that possibly deserved to be named all-district. But with a 1-9 record and not really any standouts, in my opinion, you gotta wonder. I suspect that it is something political. But, it is typical of the society we live in. Everybody wants everybody to be a winner, and when you have competition that just will not happen. I thought this district was weaker this year than in the past. I thought Kountze did better this year, record not withstanding, or the other district teams were a little weaker. It's a shame if it is political, which it very well could be. But, all-district or not, Orangefield made the playoffs, Kountze was bouncing balls, somewhere we can excel a little better. Congrats to Orangefield on a season well played, even if post season awards weren't given on talent. Just my take.xlr8tor, I'm glad you did not take my comments the wrong way. I was not disrespecting Kountze or your players. I do have a question for you though, with the exceptional athletes that Kountze has, why is the football team not as good as it should be. Does everyone concentrate on Basketball or what? You guys probably have the best athletes in the district. Just curious.

Old Cardinal
11-28-2003, 10:48 AM
I am sorry that Thomas Hamrick did not make All-District. I think we all know what happened down here in Orange County. Thomas Hamrick was basically a "defensive only" player for Bridge City. The BC defensive scheme-makers were just blinded by their own paradigm, and he would not have been allowed to carry the ball, just like his Junior year in Bridge City. He got into some trouble in the BC school and moved his alliegence over to OF. At OF, they allowed him to run with the football! Since he was quite instrumental in beating Bridge City, pounding the defense for many yards, I am sure there are those that are quite livid in the decision making process, that he not be given any first team considerations in 21-3A....Politics is paramount in All-District selections; we all know that. My beef is however; how can the UIL allow a youth to look around and see which school will (throw him a bone), offer him what he wants and allow to simply- make a move? I appears you can just get a "new address" in that school district and switch out....I don't blame the youth, he wanted to carry the football, and he did an examplary job for OF--I do blame the UIL for allowing a kid to switch schools in a bogus-like manner.

<small>[ November 28, 2003, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-28-2003, 11:07 AM
How are All Area or All State players selected?

Cat22
11-28-2003, 11:27 AM
Old Cardinal:
I am sorry that Thomas Hamrick did not make All-District. I think we all know what happened down here in Orange County. Thomas Hamrick was basically a "defensive only" player for Bridge City. The BC defensive scheme-makers were just blinded by their own paradigm, and he would not have been allowed to carry the ball, just like his Junior year in Bridge City. He got into some trouble in the BC school and moved his alliegence over to OF. At OF, they allowed him to run with the football! Since he was quite instrumental in beating Bridge City, pounding the defense for many yards, I am sure there are those that are quite livid in the decision making process, that he not be given any first team considerations in 21-3A....Politics is paramount in All-District selections; we all know that. My beef is however; how can the UIL allow a youth to look around as see which school will (throw him a bone), offer him what he wants and allow to simply- make a move? I appears you can just get a "new address" in that school district and switch out....I don't blame the youth, he wanted to carry the football, and he did an examplary job for OF--I do blame the UIL for allowing a kid to switch schools in a bogus-like manner.Old Cardinal you know this happens all over the state. I remember a very good baseball player in the early 90's moved from Orangefield to Bridge City, but his parents still lived in the OF school district and his sister continued to attend OF. He led BC to the state tournament. What can the UIL do? Underclassmen must sit out of varsity play for one year if they transfer, but seniors do not. I don't know the solution, any suggestions.

cajun1
11-28-2003, 11:32 AM
I understand completely Cat22, I just got back in town from thanksgiving and I am looking at the paper at a kid that had less then half the stat's then my son and he got MVP for the district.
It is a shame that things like this happen because you know that the kid put everything on the line for his team and coaches but, you can't blame your coaches because they don't have the right to vote for their own team in district voting. I am waiting to see how county selections come out? If the kid knew in his heart that he did his job for his team and coaches then he has the greatests reward knowing he did his job!
It is a shame that Politics play a big roll in todays sports because these kids don't deserve this at this age because they will see enough of this once they get out of school.
High school football is the greatest thing!!!
Good luck to the remaining teams in the play-off's.

<small>[ November 28, 2003, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: cajun1 ]</small>

OHSwr19
11-28-2003, 12:58 PM
Oldcardinal you said he got into some trouble at BC right? Well if he got into trouble there and couldnt go to school there anymore why not move ot Orangefield? Plus his Dad lives in Orangefield so that makes it legal for him to come here.

Old Cardinal
11-28-2003, 03:43 PM
To OHSwr19: I never said that he could not attend BC or even not play football. I would appreciate it if you would not-add to the facts presented- in this very toughy situation. I sure hope that Thomas knows that many people realize that he had a great HS football career!

OHSwr19
11-28-2003, 04:36 PM
I was just telling u how hes going to Orangefield. I wasnt trying to make a smart remark.

cubs
11-28-2003, 11:07 PM
Cats Den and Cat 22 - you both are absolutely right - yes, you hate to say those awards don't matter. But, so many times you see injustice in the selection. That's why stats are so important - stats tell if a player is doing his job therefore helping the team do their job. Trust me - the college coaches look at stats and film much closer than who got all-district what. They know what can happen on those awards - they know that kids are at their high school coach's mercy. They are smart enough and experienced enough to sift thru all that. If you are a player - won't matter if you didn't get all-whatever - if you're not a player - won't matter how many all-whatevers you got.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-28-2003, 11:20 PM
Does anyone know how and or who makes the All State selections?

Dawgystyle
11-29-2003, 12:26 AM
Just to put my two cents in because this type of thing really bothers me. All the uncoordinated, talent challenged kids who didn't make the __________ (Place appropriate extra curricular activity here) grew up and said "This is not happening to my kid." Thats why we have 3 dozen cheerleaders, fat drill team girls, and piss poor all district position winners. The kinder gentler politically correct USA is killing us from the inside. It reflects in lots of areas across the country from armed forces to police forces and our civilian workforce. I'm not sure there is anything that can be done to bring it back the way it used to be. (60s, 70s, 80s)
But it sure don't seem right. Thank you for letting me vent.

xlr8tor
11-29-2003, 01:57 AM
Cat22:

Old Cardinal:
I am sorry that Thomas Hamrick did not make All-District. I think we all know what happened down here in Orange County. Thomas Hamrick was basically a "defensive only" player for Bridge City. The BC defensive scheme-makers were just blinded by their own paradigm, and he would not have been allowed to carry the ball, just like his Junior year in Bridge City. He got into some trouble in the BC school and moved his alliegence over to OF. At OF, they allowed him to run with the football! Since he was quite instrumental in beating Bridge City, pounding the defense for many yards, I am sure there are those that are quite livid in the decision making process, that he not be given any first team considerations in 21-3A....Politics is paramount in All-District selections; we all know that. My beef is however; how can the UIL allow a youth to look around as see which school will (throw him a bone), offer him what he wants and allow to simply- make a move? I appears you can just get a "new address" in that school district and switch out....I don't blame the youth, he wanted to carry the football, and he did an examplary job for OF--I do blame the UIL for allowing a kid to switch schools in a bogus-like manner.Old Cardinal you know this happens all over the state. I remember a very good baseball player in the early 90's moved from Orangefield to Bridge City, but his parents still lived in the OF school district and his sister continued to attend OF. He led BC to the state tournament. What can the UIL do? Underclassmen must sit out of varsity play for one year if they transfer, but seniors do not. I don't know the solution, any suggestions.As for underclassmen having to sit out a year, but seniors being able to play immediately, that isn't always true. I think much of it is based on whether or not the school that is being left challenges the athletes reasons for leaving. Example, here at Kountze, a Senior for Silsbee transferred over here to get more playing time. But, as I understand it, Silsbee protested his leaving, for whatever reason/s, and this young man played on the JV this year, as a senior. I don't know all the details, but I suspect there is more than most know involved in this type of situation. Just my take.

xlr8tor
11-29-2003, 02:18 AM
Cat22:

xlr8tor:
Cat 22, being from Kountze, the 1-9 team, I have to agree with you totally, 100%. I saw only one player for Kountze, the QB, that possibly deserved to be named all-district. But with a 1-9 record and not really any standouts, in my opinion, you gotta wonder. I suspect that it is something political. But, it is typical of the society we live in. Everybody wants everybody to be a winner, and when you have competition that just will not happen. I thought this district was weaker this year than in the past. I thought Kountze did better this year, record not withstanding, or the other district teams were a little weaker. It's a shame if it is political, which it very well could be. But, all-district or not, Orangefield made the playoffs, Kountze was bouncing balls, somewhere we can excel a little better. Congrats to Orangefield on a season well played, even if post season awards weren't given on talent. Just my take.xlr8tor, I'm glad you did not take my comments the wrong way. I was not disrespecting Kountze or your players. I do have a question for you though, with the exceptional athletes that Kountze has, why is the football team not as good as it should be. Does everyone concentrate on Basketball or what? You guys probably have the best athletes in the district. Just curious.Thanks Cat 22, and no problem, I took your words for exactly what they said. Truth is that Kountze stinks at football. No need to sugar coat it! And it's not like it is a secret to anybody in south east Texas or the rest of the state for that matter. When you think of poor 3A football teams in Texas, names like Slaton and Ft. Stockton to Huntington and Kountze come up. That's just the way it has been. Kountze does have some excellent athletes. No doubt about that, as any who have played us in basketball will attest to. But a trend or mindset seems to be in place here. Basketball rules, football drools. Been that way for 30 to 40 years now. From what I understand, many of the basketball players, (some of the better athletes) don't want to chance thier getting hurt playing football. Plus, it seems that they either aren't willing to do what it takes to get a good coach to come and stay, or again politics come into play. You know the scenario; if your daddy is on the schoolboard, you'll play, even if someone else is better. Until some things change, things will likely remain the same. In basketball, Kountze can hang with and beat many if not most of the comptetition around here, including 4A and 5A teams. They even play and have played Beaumont Ozen, who in the past few years had Kedrick Perkins (currently playing for the Boston Celtics right out of high school) and compteted very well. You see these kids on the court, and sometimes think, where did this kid come from, I don't remember seeing him on the football field. And your right, he wasn't there. Reason; who wants to risk getting hurt for a 1-9 season? Personally I can't blame them. To ressurect a football program like Kountze's, in my opinoin, you need to be willing to pay, and give ample time to a tried and proven coach. Start winning, and even make the playoffs a time or two, and I would imagine you would start getting more participation. Once that is done, leave politics out of the locker room. Kountze obviously does that (leaves out politics) with basketball, and the results speak for themselves. Until, or should I say if that ever happens, second and third string players for perinnial football powerhouses, and or decent teams like Bridge City, Orangefield, Anahuac, etc... will be looking forward to playing doormats like Kountze, because they will get some playing time. It looks like Kountze will drop to 2A next year, but I doubt that will help much if any at all, at least where it comes to football. Looks like Newton will be there to take up where Bridge City and Orangefield left off. Plus, Kountze played some 2A teams this year (West Hardin, Hull-Daisetta, can't remember who else) and lost all of those as well. But, Kountze will probably just dominate 2A basketball, boys and girls. You probably got the picture 8 senteces ago. LOL. &lt;sigh&gt; Just my take.