PDA

View Full Version : Best 3A to raise a family and coach ???

SAAGGIE13
11-10-2003, 10:43 PM
My wife and I are looking at relocating in a couple of years to a 2A/3A school. We started teaching at Rice Consolidated and stayed for three years. I was the varsity G-BB coach. (1yr) We moved to San Antonio and have taught and coached at a junior high in big 5A Converse Judson. (My Alma Mater) The move was great for many reasons. I have learned a lot and have a state ring on my finger which is nice. We miss a smaller school. The sense of community and the relationship with the kids and are looking for a great small town to call our own in the future. Any Ideas???

sinton66
11-10-2003, 10:46 PM
Check out Sinton and Cuero. Both are nice towns with lots of tradition and good people.

bulldogvet85
11-10-2003, 10:47 PM
marion could use some more help. its a small town

3afan2K3
11-10-2003, 10:48 PM
Forney, but in a couple of years we might be 5A

bd0707
11-10-2003, 10:52 PM
Llano highschool has had an awesome girls BB program in recent years and I think they lost their head coach this year. The district is in a horrible fiancial state right now, with no real light at the end of the tunnel. With that said there are many 3A schools in the Hill Country that would be a dreat place to raise a family.

bd0707
11-10-2003, 10:53 PM
By the way welcome to the DownLow

espn1
11-10-2003, 10:54 PM
SAAGGIE13:
My wife and I are looking at relocating in a couple of years to a 2A/3A school. We started teaching at Rice Consolidated and stayed for three years. I was the varsity G-BB coach. (1yr) We moved to San Antonio and have taught and coached at a junior high in big 5A Converse Judson. (My Alma Mater) The move was great for many reasons. I have learned a lot and have a state ring on my finger which is nice. We miss a smaller school. The sense of community and the relationship with the kids and are looking for a great small town to call our own in the future. Any Ideas???Blanco,Johnson City

Ranger Mom
11-10-2003, 10:57 PM
Welcome!!

Greenwood is a nice community....that is if you like dirt and mesquite trees!! wink

44INAROW
11-10-2003, 10:57 PM
I'd have to agree that Cuero is a great place to raise a family. Nice location and the next 4-5 years look promising in the athletic area too.

SAAGGIE13
11-10-2003, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the feedback and all the welcomes.

BigRedfan
11-11-2003, 12:17 AM
Try Mineola. They are in need of some good coaching. I also have a house that I am trying to sell. Mineola is a good place to raise a family. It is close to Tyler.

<small>[ November 10, 2003, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: BigRedfan ]</small>

lepfan
11-11-2003, 01:36 AM
I would have to say LaGrange is a great 3A school and town...great athletic programs as well as academics!!! Lots of happenings in the area...not to mention the Antique Fair in Round Top twice a year!!!! And "city" life is 1-2 hours any direction. Just my two cents worth. :D

dwhite_eaglesfan
11-11-2003, 07:08 AM
Fairfield,middle of the district as far as enrollment. Nice town, friendly people,academic district champs 8-9 years in a row,good ath. program(AD. David Armstrong). Girls BB reg semi finalist last year,one senior. JV. 22-0,freshman 21-0, volleyball still in the playoffs(play tonight),softball,cross county, go to the playoffs.I hear the girls basketball coach(Tommy Baxter)is retiring at the end of the year. Good luck Eagles in the state football playoffs vs. Newton.

heck
11-11-2003, 08:23 AM
Try Sweetwater, great place and the girls BB program has talent but no leadership. You might could help.

BurnetBandRules
11-11-2003, 08:54 AM
I really think that you were just asking for suggestions so I will encourage you to give each prospect town a visit. Run through Burnet while you're looking. I don't think that anyone can say enough about their town and community. So many opinions will be pushed toward you so look at them personally.

RBARKER
11-11-2003, 09:01 AM
Mont Belvieu (Barbers Hill) is a good place to grow up. Your out in the country but not to far from civilization. The town is growing though and is predicted to be 5A in about 10 to 15 years.

SintonFan88
11-11-2003, 10:00 AM
I think Sinton is a great place to raise their family. I moved to Sinton in 1988 and have been there ever since. I'm originally from Premont, graduated in 1987 after one year of college I decided to find a job so I moved to Sinton to look for work. I started working, met a girl from there, we got married a year later we are raising two boys and love the community very much. My oldest son is in Junior High, and my little one is in Pre-K. To me it's just a great place to be. Sorry, if I went off too much. This is my first post here. I've been on this message board for two years now, and just decided to start posting. Have a great day everyone!!

Chief Woodman
11-11-2003, 10:54 AM
Might think about Decatur. The AD and most of the coaches are dedicated Christians and that sure makes a difference. 45 minutes from Downtown Ft Worth (Sundance square) and 1 hour from downtown Dallas (West End). Close enough that you can enjoy all a major metro area can offer (Including every major sport Mavs, Cowboys, Rangers, Burn and Stars plus several minor league sports) World class arts (Bass performance hall) and Museums. 45 minutes from DFW airport which can take you to Europe, Asia, or Hawaii non-stop. Great medical facilities and already on the way to Colorado up 287. Close enough to the Metroplex, yet far enough away that you do not many of the problems. New High school just approved, will graduate first class in 2007. Oh yeah and the Decatur Athletic program which has been in the top 5 of the state (Lone star cup) for 2 years running. Academicly, National Blue ribbon school, one of only 5 mentoring schools in the state. Also home of the national AG champs in farm equipment repair. Wherever you go, good luck.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-11-2003, 06:28 PM
This question was just asking for the HOMERS here to put THEIR towns in here.

So i'll do something a lil' different for you. I'll put down some 3A towns I liked when I went through, and if you care to give 'em a visit, then please do so.

Falfurrias - Nice town in the middle of the brush country off of Highway 281. If you're the kind of guy that likes to do some hunting on your time off, then that's the place for you!

La Feria - Great town on Highway 83 just west of Harlingen. Their girls programs are top notch, and the locals are very friendly. One of the better places in the Rio Grande Valley region to live.

Edna - Small community on Highway 59 near Victoria. If you're into "country living" then this lil' town is the place you want to be.

By the way, my hometown is Port Isabel. People there are very friendly and laid back. It is near the water (Laguna Madre bay, and Gulf of Mexico) so if you're a fisherman, or enjoy the beach, then the Port Isabel area should also be considered.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-11-2003, 06:30 PM
Chief Woodman
[QB]Might think about Decatur. The AD and most of the coaches are dedicated Christians and that sure makes a difference.QB]I'm sorry, Chief, but what does being "dedicated Christians" have anything to do with a coach's ability to be a good coach? It makes absolutely no difference......

Buckeye80
11-11-2003, 06:36 PM
You can't go wrong with the beautiful "piney woods" of NE Texas.

BHKrystal06
11-11-2003, 07:14 PM
RBARKER:
Mont Belvieu (Barbers Hill) is a good place to grow up. Your out in the country but not to far from civilization. The town is growing though and is predicted to be 5A in about 10 to 15 years.Barbers Hill is a GREAT place to grow up. I've been here ever since 3rd grade and I love it. My friends are just like brothers & sisters. So if you want somewhere for your kids to grow up, try Barbers Hill.

Chief Woodman
11-11-2003, 08:01 PM
TarponFanInNorthTexas:

Chief Woodman
[QB]Might think about Decatur. The AD and most of the coaches are dedicated Christians and that sure makes a difference.QB]I'm sorry, Chief, but what does being "dedicated Christians" have anything to do with a coach's ability to be a good coach? It makes absolutely no difference......Use your brain son. Did I say that it had anything to do with their ability to coach? NO I did not. You misunderstood the meaning. He is looking for a nice place to live. If he is going to be working with other coaches, it is nicer to work with folks who have their priorities in the right order. So when it comes to quality of life issues and work enviroment...yes it does. (unless your lost and can't stand being around Christians) You stated that this post begged for homers, so you would do something different. Then you became a homer at the end and suggested Port Isabel your hometown. Dude, stick to your story.

lepfan
11-11-2003, 08:26 PM
BHKrystal06:

RBARKER:
Mont Belvieu (Barbers Hill) is a good place to grow up. Your out in the country but not to far from civilization. The town is growing though and is predicted to be 5A in about 10 to 15 years.Barbers Hill is a GREAT place to grow up. I've been here ever since 3rd grade and I love it. My friends are just like brothers & sisters. So if you want somewhere for your kids to grow up, try Barbers Hill.And the pay scale for teachers in Barbers Hill is GREAT compared to other districts :D

Zepeda96
11-11-2003, 09:29 PM
My wife and I are looking at relocating in a couple of years to a 2A/3A school. We started teaching at Rice Consolidated and stayed for three years. I was the varsity G-BB coach. (1yr) We moved to San Antonio and have taught and coached at a junior high in big 5A Converse Judson. (My Alma Mater) The move was great for many reasons. I have learned a lot and have a state ring on my finger which is nice. We miss a smaller school. The sense of community and the relationship with the kids and are looking for a great small town to call our own in the future. Any Ideas???

Zepeda96
11-11-2003, 09:32 PM
IF THIS IS YOU COACH G.TRY MEXIA HIGH SCHOOL I WENT TO RICE CISD AND MY FAMILY MOVED TO MEXIA,TEXAS REALLY NICE TOWN TO LIVE IN AND THE SCHOOL SEEMS GREAT. ITS 3A
STOP BY ONE DAY AND VIST THIS TOWN

SAAGGIE13
11-11-2003, 11:35 PM
Elizar, Yes this is coach "G". It is good to hear from you! I think I taught you in the 6th grade about 7 years ago. I hope all is well and God Bless you and your family. If we visit Mexia I will surely drop by. I will tell Mrs. coach "G" you said hello!!!

Soleus
11-12-2003, 02:55 PM
Glen Rose is a pretty nice town with great facilities. This is due to the nuclear power plant there. It's on the smaller scale of the 3A classification but they do have a decent program. There's not much to do there but Fort Worth is a short drive away.

Crow22
11-12-2003, 03:05 PM
Elizar-

This is Coach P. I taught you in IPC, remember?

Good to hear from you. Are you going to school?

callandraise
11-12-2003, 04:53 PM
You might consider Ballinger. It's a pretty nice town ,all we need is water and some good people. Course that's all hell needs.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-12-2003, 04:55 PM
Went to Glen Rose for a track meet and it was a nice town. Lots of hills and trees--very pretty.

Burkburnett is on the TX OK Border just 10 minutes away from Wichita Falls. This may be too far North but the town is about 10,000, they have a great school district, pay is good, pretty town, the AD is the head basketball coach which is strange for these parts and they may be moving down from 4A to 3A this year. The community passed a bond proposal several years ago and they built a state of the art gym.

Old No. 7
11-12-2003, 05:54 PM
If you are an O.C... Please apply in person at KIRBYVILLE I.S.D. :) :)

Old No. 7
11-12-2003, 05:57 PM
ttt

Thought i would try the triple "t". :D :D

bearcat1
11-12-2003, 06:11 PM
Breckenridge is a really nice town. I also like Hamlin. I also like Floydada alot but they bounce around between 2A and 3A.

bc

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-12-2003, 06:54 PM
Chief Woodman:

TarponFanInNorthTexas:

Chief Woodman
[QB]Might think about Decatur. The AD and most of the coaches are dedicated Christians and that sure makes a difference.QB]I'm sorry, Chief, but what does being "dedicated Christians" have anything to do with a coach's ability to be a good coach? It makes absolutely no difference......Use your brain son. Did I say that it had anything to do with their ability to coach? NO I did not. You misunderstood the meaning. He is looking for a nice place to live. If he is going to be working with other coaches, it is nicer to work with folks who have their priorities in the right order. So when it comes to quality of life issues and work enviroment...yes it does. (unless your lost and can't stand being around Christians) You stated that this post begged for homers, so you would do something different. Then you became a homer at the end and suggested Port Isabel your hometown. Dude, stick to your story.Well, at least I didn't put Port Isabel front and center like everyone else. I put other towns first before my own.

I'm sorry, the Christian statement just rubbed me the wrong way. I've never been a very religious man, and to see people make such statements just does it to me.....don't know why. But if the coach just happens to not be a Christian, does that make him less of a man in your eyes? Judging from your statement, it seems so....which means I probably wouldn't be welcome in Decatur.

lv2937
11-12-2003, 08:12 PM
bearcat1:
Breckenridge is a really nice town. I also like Hamlin. I also like Floydada alot but they bounce around between 2A and 3A.

bcbearcat, i cant belive you like Hamlin. I was born there and half the town is related to me. The pay in Hamlin is bad. Floydada is not a bad place. When i left Hamlin i lived in the floydad area. The best place to live is in the hill country. Burnet is a great place to live. My 2nd choice would be Bandara

CS_WILDCATS
11-15-2003, 12:19 AM
As far as the area is concerned it has to be HONDO hands down. They have an excellent program rich in tradition. It's located just minutes from San Antonio, has that great small town feel, and some of the nicest people you'll ever meet.
GO CATS GO

toby070
11-15-2003, 01:40 AM
SAAGGIES, Wimberley is an awesome town, beautiful Hill Country, really nice school, incredible football field (not many mid-size 3A schools have Fieldturf!!!) and some pretty good kids. They are not going to be a program that wins big every year, but have occasionally put some pretty special teams together.

I heard rumors that when Nelms came back, it was intended to be a short-term stay, so it might be a realistic possibility.

mustang04
11-15-2003, 01:19 PM
ive lived in Mexia, Stephenville, AND Sweetwater, they are all great towns to live in, i liked Mexia alot, it was a good town, Stephenville was cool too....but neither compare to Sweetwater, I love the close-knit of the community and its a perfect place to have and raise a family, you might wanna consider stopping by sometime, we have a great sports tradition, good school system, and the World's Largest Rattlesnake Roundup each year, I'm tellin ya this is the place

bearcat1
11-15-2003, 08:16 PM
lv2937:

bearcat1:

bcbearcat, i cant belive you like Hamlin. I was born there and half the town is related to me. The pay in Hamlin is bad. Floydada is not a bad place. When i left Hamlin i lived in the floydad area. The best place to live is in the hill country. Burnet is a great place to live. My 2nd choice would be BandaraWhat's wrong with Hamlin? I've been through the town several times, I've never stayed over or anything, just been through it, and it seemed like a nice place to me. As far as the pay, I don't have a clue, I thought he was just asking about towns in general.
bc

SAAGGIE13
11-15-2003, 11:25 PM
My wife and I both coached/taught at a 3A and got a 13,000 dollar pay raise to just teach in a large 5A. It doesn't take long to figure out that money isn't all it is cracked up to be. We both miss the small town. Support your local Coach he/she is doing it because they Love kids and want to make that difference. Thanks again for all the posts. I am marking them down and researching your suggestions.