PDA

View Full Version : Hats off to Bearcat players.. shame on FANS

audasmom7
11-30-2002, 08:12 PM
If you were there dont have to say anymore...

<small>[ November 30, 2002, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: audasmom7 ]</small>

RangerFan01
11-30-2002, 08:21 PM
rough game...

Ladykat5
11-30-2002, 09:03 PM
What happened?...

bbearcat101
12-01-2002, 02:03 AM
I'm sorry, Audasmom, that you perceived the fans of Ballinger in such a way. I did not see what you saw but would like to tell you what I did see. I did see the players from Greenwood on several occasions (six or seven) deserve flags for unsportsmanlike conduct, especially #8. While in no way do I think it had a bearing on the game, I do believe that these kids need a lesson on sportsmanship. I do however want to applaud #70 as he seemed to go above and beyond in sportsmanship. I also want to say that during the official time-out while #11 from Ballinger was being attended to, your coaches were not very courteous of the injury on the field. They were acting as if noboby was injured on the play and kept giving signals to the defense as if nothing was wrong. That being said, you did have a great effort and I wish all the luck to you in the rest of the playoffs. Dawson Wilbur is one heck of a player and with his leadership, the sky is the limit.

Wtx_coach
12-01-2002, 02:11 AM
hey bearcat, those greenwood kids are some snotty kids with some damm good football talent, audasmom is cryin about a couple of boos she is ridiculous cause i have heard that at plenty of games and there is really nothing wrong with it, it just part of the game.

Ranger Mom 70
12-01-2002, 09:36 AM
First, I wanted to say it was a great game. I have to admit though, I was just as upset as Audas mom at the way a few of the Bearcat Fans seemed to be acting during the warm-ups of the game. I know that it can be only a few that can ruin it for everyone. I do believe that it can also set the tempo for the entire game. It did get our fans going !!!! Thank you for the comment on my son (#70) - I also wanted to point out that after the game we always find out what has been happening that "our eyes" don't see. When you get to this level you play with anything and everything you have. It was a good day for the Rangers!! Congrats to a great Season to Ballinger - ya'll beat Kennedale - be proud!!

vet93
12-01-2002, 10:18 AM
There might also be some misconceptions here as well. We have two players on the team named Kuhn (pronounced coon). The gentleman with the megaphone does get pretty excited but many times when he is thought to be booing is actually yelling "Kuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhn". He has been doing this all year and does it when they are warming up or when they make a big play. He sits in front of me during home games and I don't remember him ever booing a team during warmups. Having said this...if he and his friends were booing instead of yelling "Kuuuuhn" then I am sorry and don't think that it is representative of the Ballinger fans as a whole. If you read past posts about Ballinger fans you generally will only find complementary statements.

Ranger Mom
12-01-2002, 11:20 AM
Okay, I usually don't get on here and slam anything about another team. I didn't hear the "boos" in question, I was just told about them. As far as #8 being unsportsmanlike, I have to say, "I dont' blame him". He suffered an ankle injury at the Canyon game last weekend, which everyone knew about. My husband was on the sidelines running the chains and witnessed, first hand, several players grabbing #8's ankle and twisting it while he was down - now if that is not "unsportsmanlike conduct" I don't know what is. That being said, I thought, overall it was a well played game between two good football teams. At this point in the season, emotions are running high and I thinks fans/players might react "in the moment."

Ranger Mom 70
12-01-2002, 11:24 AM
Thank you for clearing that up - that makes me feel a whole lot better - however - tell him thanks because it sure fired us up!!!

Wtx_coach
12-01-2002, 01:07 PM
Ranger Mom:
Okay, I usually don't get on here and slam anything about another team. I didn't hear the "boos" in question, I was just told about them. As far as #8 being unsportsmanlike, I have to say, "I dont' blame him". He suffered an ankle injury at the Canyon game last weekend, which everyone knew about. My husband was on the sidelines running the chains and witnessed, first hand, several players grabbing #8's ankle and twisting it while he was down - now if that is not "unsportsmanlike conduct" I don't know what is. That being said, I thought, overall it was a well played game between two good football teams. At this point in the season, emotions are running high and I thinks fans/players might react "in the moment."Hey RANGERMOM I think that is a bunch of crap, i know they might have tackled him by grabbing his ankle but thats part of the game, i doubt the ballinger players were doing that, those kids are coached to well to be like that and I know that for a fact, oh yea another thing rangermom if you husband could see why couldnt the refs, i think that comment you made is highly untrue.

FBFAN
12-01-2002, 02:39 PM
I just had to get into this one!! Being a Wylie Bulldog fan for a long time, we've taken our share of jabs from several directions, and some are deserved, due to a few fans who get over zealous. All of our emotions run high at sporting events, unfortunately! I can honestly say that for the last 12 years that I've been CLOSELY following games around this area, the classiest group of fans (overall) have been the Ballinger folks. Their players (overall) are also some of the finest kids to play sports. A bunch of overachievers, who seem to have things in perspective once it's all said and done.

I'm not taking sides in this issue with either of the Ranger Mom's, because I wasn't there. I don't doubt what they saw and heard, but just keep in mind that these things are usually viewed differently on the oppostite side of the field, depending on which side of the field (or track, or gymnasium, or ball field, etc.) you sit on. Some of these reactions are normal, although as I said earlier that it is "unfortunate" and not necessary for us to act as we sometimes do at sporting events. I'm just going to stick up for the Ballinger folks as a whole, and that's from many years of watching, observing and competing against them. Thanks for listening!!

Good luck to the Greenwood Team in the rest of the playoffs. We've always had great respect for them over the years, and this year it has been obvious that they have a special group of kids that are putting it all together.

Ladykat5
12-01-2002, 04:05 PM
Yeah Mr. Megaphone guy was megaphone happy when we played Ballinger too..he is crazy...one fan I will never forget. He was actually saying stuff at our game though...couldnt understand him! Good game to all!

pero chato
12-01-2002, 06:27 PM
I would like to say ditto to FBFAN's comments about the Ballinger folks. I've been following Wylie sports for about 12 years also and as FBFAN said, the Ballinger fans and athletes are a classy bunch. I've never met a rude Ballinger fan before or after a game. I think all sides scream, yell and boo during the game but most of us are just caught up in the moment and it really doesn't mean anything. Not to offend anyone here but think about personal foul calls (or lack of them). We ask 22 of our young men to pound on each other for 2 hours, but be nice about it?! Obviously there will be some cheap shots, trash talk, etc. Anyone who thinks their players are all angels probably needs to review the game films. I promise you half the time, a personal foul call is in retaliation of an uncalled personal foul. We had a player ejected from the Ballinger game (and rightfully so) for a forearm to the face, however he had been repeatedly kicked in the groin. Who started it? Who knows? Anyway, I think VET93 explained the boos as probably being "Kuhn". Remember Moose from the Cowboys? It always sounded like boos. Good luck to the Rangers on the rest of the season, although I will have to root for the Mustangs. LOL. And Ballinger, ya'll had one heck of a run. There's nothing wrong with getting beat by a better team, especially one as good as Greenwood.

Ranger Mom
12-01-2002, 08:58 PM
QUOTE] Hey RANGERMOM I think that is a bunch of crap, i know they might have tackled him by grabbing his ankle but thats part of the game, i doubt the ballinger players were doing that, those kids are coached to well to be like that and I know that for a fact, oh yea another thing rangermom if you husband could see why couldnt the refs, i think that comment you made is highly untrue. QUOTE]

WTXCoach, you can certainly THINK whatever you like!! I never said anything about the Ballinger Fans. Vet93 is a class act and I would never get on here and slam his team, I never heard anything negative from the fans, except when their player was down, and I don't blame them for their reaction at all. As far as what my husband saw, I read him your comment, and he said he knows what he saw. This wasn't on tackles it was while they were already down. He has no reason to lie about it. The only reason he was watching Cody so closely is because he knew he has mad, so he was watching him to see what the deal was. As far as Greenwood being a bunch of snotty kids, where do you get that from?? A few weeks ago you couldn't say enough good things about them, except that Pecos was gonna beat em!! I think you must one of those "fair weather fans" that we all know and LOVE!! You have been on this board long enough to know that I don't sling trash here. I will defend our players that are being "tagged" with any info I have that may explain what was going on. I am sure it happens all the time in games such as these, unfortunate, but part of the game. All in all I thought it was a pretty well played game. My husband told me this last night, a football players mom told me the same thing this morning, and the newspaper made reference to it this morning. You may think it is crap but I have heard too much to believe it to be anything but true!!

<small>[ December 01, 2002, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: Ranger Mom ]</small>

VWG
12-01-2002, 09:30 PM
From the outside lookin' in....
I also feel that during the course of a game, especially in the playoffs, emotions run high. Cheap shots shouldn't be a part of any team's gameplan. Good hard nosed, aggressive football is the way to play. Tackling somebody around the ankles(usually done while in pursuit)and "rolling" the player is quite common. Nothing cheap about it. I know a couple officials, one a back judge that has over 15yrs. experience. Officials that are picked to referee playoff games have tons of experience and they usually will see and call personal fouls on cheap shots. How many were called during the game?
As for the fans... every school has a few that get a little over zealous or "riled" up during the game. As long as it's done with good intentions and within the framework of good sportsmanship, cheer on!

Ranger Mom
12-01-2002, 09:45 PM
I was re-reading some of the post on this thread and one of them made me think of something. Last weekend we caught the 2nd half of the Abilene/Amarillo game. The Cooper fans all started chanting - COUGARS. They had done this probably 10 times before I realized they were saying Cougars and not LOSERS. I see where something yelled can be misconstrued as something else!!

Ladykat5
12-01-2002, 09:53 PM
ya'll beat Kennedale - be proud!!

Hey now lets not hit below the belt with bringing that game up....lol I am just joking!! Have a good one!

Wtx_coach
12-02-2002, 12:49 AM
Rangermom I never did once sasy Pecos was going to beat greenwood , so dont try to start that up, I knew better then that, why would I say Pecos was going to beat you guys when we had lost 8 straight 7 games, I might not be the smartest in the world but I had enough sense not to say that, well I find it hard to beleive that your husband saw it but the refs couldnt see it, if that happened coach purser needs to report those refs to the uil, but i really dont think it happened.

Ranger Mom
12-02-2002, 09:38 AM
Okay, believe what you want - I could really care less. You are making a bigger deal out of this than it warrants. Your comments about Pecos were at the beginning of the season when no games had been played! I refuse to get into an arguement with you over this. You have your opinion, I have mine. God Bless America!!

redraider
12-02-2002, 10:16 AM
I am not taking sides in this issue, but I can say that most fans only see what the other team does. You never notice what your own team does. I wasn't at the game, so I don't know what happened. However, I have personally seen Greenwood players taunt the opposing team coaches and players in the middle of the game. I also have a brother in law who coaches in the same district as Mid. Greenwood. He said that the Greenwood players were awful and said 3 were tossed from the game. Like I said, I'm not taking sides here and I imagine that the Ballinger players did do some of the things that you said, but I don't believe it when you say they were doing just to hurt somebody. It doesn't matter how well the kids are coached, somebody is always going to take a cheap shot during the game, the bigger man will walk away from it and let his play do the talking. All I am saying is look at what your own team does before you accuse and point the finger at the other team.

vet93
12-02-2002, 10:18 AM
This topic has just about wound down so I thought that I would finish with a few closing thoughts. One might get the impression that this game was a "dirty" game with some of the comments that have been thrown around. It was not. I have been watching football for a very long time and this was a hard nosed gritty game. There was only one unsportsmanlike conduct penalty called in the whole game. In the heat of battle there were likely some things done by both sides that the people involved have regretted doing. I can assure you that neither coach Owens or coach Purser condone unsportsmanlike activity in any form. I remember an incident when I was playing that was similar. We were playing Ozona. I was the kicker and on every kickoff the middle return man would come straight after me trying to knock my block off. We beat Ozona 68-0 that game(we were not trying to run up the Score), so needless to say I was getting pretty tired of this guy trying to rattle me. On one of the last few kickoffs I delivered a forearm to the side of his helment that dropped him like a stone (legal hit). I then pointed a finger at him and gave him a piece of my mind. Everybody in the stands saw the play and my tirade. I regret losing my temper. This guy was annoying and some of his tactics were a little on the edge but in the big scheme of things he was just trying to "rattle" the kicker. This is probably what the coaches were telling him to do anyway. Many times we try to attach sinister motives to the players and fans of the opposite team when in reality they are just supporting their teams or trying to win a game. I have often wondered if the opposing team thought that those guys were booing when they were saying Kuuuuhn...I guess that question has been answered. I am sorry if some of the Greenwood fans got the wrong impression of our team or fans. I think that primarily there were some misunderstandings that occurred and that is regrettable. I will say that on the whole, Ballinger fans and players pride themselves on being good sports and that the overwhelming majority of the Ballinger faithful wish the Rangers nothing but success in the remainder of the season. I said before this game that regardless of the outcome that we would still remain friends and I stand by that statement now. Lets not let emotion overshadow the fact that both teams have had great seasons and that we have more reasons to cheer for each other than against. Peace...Vet93

Ranger Mom
12-02-2002, 11:06 AM
Very well put, Vet. I never meant to get on here and start a war. I would never have posted anything had players football #'s not been brought up. I admit, I, myself, didn't see anything, so I am not gonna point any fingers at anyone. I was just relaying information, as I heard it - and stepped on some toes in the process. Didn't mean to offend anyone - just tried to put some leverage into the conversation.
I kept scanning the Ballinger crowd and wondered where you were sitting, had I known for sure I woulda walked over and introduced myself!! :)

audasmom7
12-02-2002, 11:28 AM
I thought I might jump back in since this post keeps going on and on........... Let me clarify
This was before the game started during Greenwoods warm-up the man with the megaphone was single guys out BY # and saying things to them I heard he really went for my son And yes that makes me mad, This is a grown man yelling from the stands at kids. My boys have been playing football since they were 5 yrs old and believe me I know that things can get crazy on the field. But if anyone knows this guy tell from # 7 Mom I know what he can do with that megaphone till next season Just kidding all in all it was a good game OH yeah and as far as our coaches getting on a knee normally couches dont.....

audasmom7
12-02-2002, 11:29 AM
I thought I might jump back in since this post keeps going on and on........... Let me clarify
This was before the game started during Greenwoods warm-up the man with the megaphone was singleing guys out BY # and saying things to them I heard he really went for my son And yes that makes me mad, This is a grown man yelling from the stands at kids. My boys have been playing football since they were 5 yrs old and believe me I know that things can get crazy on the field. But if anyone knows this guy tell him from # 7 Mom I know what he can do with that megaphone till next season Just kidding all in all it was a good game OH yeah and as far as our coaches getting on a knee normally couches dont.....

vet93
12-02-2002, 11:40 AM
Hey Rangermom...I was towards the top strattling the 50 yard line...I was the guy wearing the red shirt wink Audasmom...I apologize for that idiots behavior. If he was singling kids out and saying things about them then that was plain wrong. Sometimes I wonder where peoples heads are...please don't judge Ballinger's fans by that morons behavior!

Ranger Mom:
Very well put, Vet. I never meant to get on here and start a war. I would never have posted anything had players football #'s not been brought up. I admit, I, myself, didn't see anything, so I am not gonna point any fingers at anyone. I was just relaying information, as I heard it - and stepped on some toes in the process. Didn't mean to offend anyone - just tried to put some leverage into the conversation.
I kept scanning the Ballinger crowd and wondered where you were sitting, had I known for sure I woulda walked over and introduced myself!! :)

audasmom7
12-05-2002, 12:03 AM
Thanks vet...Hey whos your pick for saturdays game????