PDA

View Full Version : Collier -Sharp

VWG
11-14-2001, 10:35 AM
Collier - Sharp report has Bridgeport as a one pt. favorite over Ballinger. I would expect Ballinger to at least beat B-port by two td's. I know Bridgeport has an excellent QB, big... strong kid that can throw lasers.

How does Collier-Sharp get these point spreads?
Also, what happened to Sweetwater in district this year? They play Ballinger tough, beat Midland Greenwood in pre-season earlier this year, but barely get by Early in the final game of the season!!!! Is Sweetwater's defense "that bad"?

abicooper
11-14-2001, 10:59 AM
Sweetwater also beat Lamesa in pre-district. There defense was good at times against Wylie this year, however they appeared to have some weakness against the run. Early is a good team, but Sweetwater had 3 tough games in a row, Ballinger, Wylie, Merkel, and they might have been a little banged up or looking ahead to the playoffs.

I would expect Ballinger to win big also, and I think the Sweetwater - Graham game could be close. Graham appeared (from what I have read) to do a good job against Vernon's running game, but Sweetwater has several weapons in the back field and are always tough to beat at home. I think 5-3A has a great chance at sweeping 6-3A this year. Good luck to all teams in 5-3A.

vet93
11-14-2001, 11:51 AM
For some reason, I don't think that the Ballinger/Bridgeport game will be a blowout. Bridgeport has been playing well lately. They were within 14 of Graham and 21 of Vernon I think. The offense that they run is capable of putting up alot of points if they are able to break some big plays. A key will be their ability to protect the qb against a strong Ballinger pass rush. They must also be able to defend against the run. I haven't heard much about their defense so I don't know how good they are. My feeling is that Ballinger will win by 3 to 7 points. The collier/sharp ranking doesn't surprise me. Compared to other polls, the CS poll seems to have a grearter bias in favor of teams from the east. I think that Vernon will get beat by Wylie even though Vernon has a great back. You cannot be one-dimensional and beat Wylie. The Graham/Sweetwater game will be a great game. For some reason, I feel like Sweetwater is going to take this game. I think that they have been coasting a little bit since their loss to Wylie and are looking forward to the playoffs. It helps that they are playing in Sweetwater. One other thing, I think that teams have peaks and valleys. I think that Sweetwater peaked early in the season with good wins against Greenwood and Lamesa. I think that they are due for an upswing. I think Ballinger peaked against Sweetwater and have had some down games. I hope that they are headed for an upswing. I am not sure where Wylie is right now. Hopefully Wylie hasn't peaked yet and are building for the playoffs. That is the way Sandifer teams often respond.

VWG
11-14-2001, 01:23 PM
I don't think Bridgeport's defense is anything special. Yes, they were within Graham by 14 and I do think they lost to Vernon by 21. Losses are still losses and Graham had Bridgeport done away with by the end of the third quarter. If Ballinger can stop Bridgeport's QB, control the clock, then Ballinger will have no problem.

If Sweetwater has problems against the run then Graham will win. Their veer offense is solid. They beat Vernon without their leading rusher and last years 6-3A Offensive MVP, Mayes. He went down in the 1st qtr. of the Bridgeport game and all Graham did was reload and fire another weapon at them. Graham's QB is very good too. 6-3, about 195 with a strong arm, and has good football sense. Doesn't force the ball into trouble. Graham's O-line is decent, and their tight end is very good, about 6-2, 240 with good hands and with his size and blocking, it's like having an extra offensive tackle on the line of scrimmage.
I think Graham-Sweetwater comes down to whoever plays the best defense, and from what I hear that is Sweetwater's weakness.

Vernon-Wylie should be a battle. Wylie has more overall talent, but Vernon's RB is fast and their QB is good. They run from the gun and from the I formation a lot. I still see a Wylie victory and for them to pull away from Vernon in the 3rd qtr.

Specklebelly
11-14-2001, 03:44 PM
Anyone else notice the largest spread, Rice by 41 over Coldspring. Kind of high for two running teams, there wont be enough clock for Rice to score 41 points. A team running the bone will be in a world of hurt vs. the Raiders though.

torfan
11-14-2001, 06:31 PM
just because you are a running team doenst mean that you can not score points....ask lamesa...

vet93
11-14-2001, 06:53 PM
VWG...Sweetwater's weakness is probably the run. Therefore, if Graham has a strong running attack, then it could be real tough for Sweetwater. It is not like Sweetwater's defense is just a complete dog. They are O.K. It is just that there offense has outshined the defense considerably. Carrillo (qb) is very elusive. If he gets out in the open field you had better wrap up and use good tackling technique. They design a large part of the offense around getting him in the open field. He can throw a decent short ball, but does not have the arm strength to go long on you. They have a couple of backs that are decent and can be really good when their offense is rolling. One of the backs has had a little trouble with turnovers which could really hurt them against a team like Graham. I think that playing in the Mustang Bowl could be a real advantage for the Mustangs. Do you know how far Graham will have to travel? I look for it to be a great game. I wish that I could go to the game.

deliriousmaniac
11-14-2001, 10:19 PM
Graham really isn't too bad a team at all. We scrimaged them and they have alot of depth. They bring quite a bit of big strong boys to the game, and if one gets hurt another one is ready to go. They have a pretty good O line, and that Tight end has to be 6"4 more like 260, the guy is massive. Defense is well rounded, and is well coached. No one really ever talks about Graham, most underate them, because they have never seen them play.

fury900
11-15-2001, 09:57 AM
Graham VS Vernon
Vernon RB/DB Bernard Scott finished the game with 169 yards on 23 carries
Vernon QB/DB Cody Chandler finished with 186 yards on 14-of-19 passes.
Vernon FB/DE Termayne Willie finished the game with 69 yards 12 carries