PDA

View Full Version : Marlin Bulldogs offseason we clocked 4 guys under 4.3 40yds dash

cunbed10
01-10-2003, 09:06 AM
Well it doesn't seem that we lost any speed Quarterback 4.21 2RB's 4.25 and 4.26 also these 3 start in the secondary and one receiver 4.29 LB we will run the outside and inside and air the ball out next year, oh bye the way the quarterback has a 90 mph fastball as a pitcher.
Bellville I hope your offseason gets you ready for Bellville/Marlin II 2003

Fletch
01-10-2003, 12:32 PM
Hand Timing is a wonderful thing, isn't it? LOL

topdawg
01-10-2003, 12:52 PM
i was going to say the same thing.

Matthew328
01-10-2003, 01:27 PM
LOL

Old Cardinal
01-10-2003, 02:17 PM
I think you may need to buy a new stop-watch! If you are any thing close to that speed- how come, as I understand it, that Elgin walked off with the best time consistently in the sprint relays, here in Region III?...I checked the state track and field records for last spring-Marlin did not have one qualifier out of its Region III, to even compete in the State meet.

<small>[ January 10, 2003, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

rholl
01-10-2003, 03:11 PM
I was thinking more like a running start!!!!

russ31
01-10-2003, 03:22 PM
I wish you were timing me when I was in high school. I might have gone D1. LOL

spaniard
01-10-2003, 05:45 PM
i can run the 20yard dash in that fast. cant imagine someone running the 40 in 4.21 other than vick.

big daddy russ
01-10-2003, 05:46 PM
cunbed, check out these sites...

Michael Vick (http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/football/nfl/2001/draft/profiles/michaelvick.htm)

LaDanian Tomlinson (http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/football/nfl/2001/draft/profiles/ladainiantomlinson.htm)

Santana Moss (http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/football/nfl/2001/draft/profiles/santanamoss.htm)

Those are some of the fastest men in the NFL, F.A.T.

Old Cardinal
01-10-2003, 07:21 PM
Thank you Big Daddy Russ--- Michael Vick 4.35; LaDainian Tomlinson 4.5; and Santana Moss 4.30....I have always used a little simple formular that works close enough for me... EXAMPLE: Michael Vick 4.35 on the 40 m closely translates to 10.35 on the 100 m. Just trade the 4 to a 10 and vice-versa to get an idea of what the various times might work out to be at each distance.

kaorder1999
01-10-2003, 09:33 PM
thats funny

Goat70
01-11-2003, 01:53 AM
Im from Groesbeck and I play baseball and I was all-district anyways I want to know who that baseball player is that can throw 90 miles an hour because I sure havent seen him.

sinton66
01-11-2003, 08:55 AM
Dreams are nice things, but should never be confused with reality.

slpybear the bullfan
01-11-2003, 11:44 AM
Man, I think someone mentioned it earlier, but with that speed just go ahead and send the Olympic medals on to Marlin.

Kool Tarpon 21
01-11-2003, 02:18 PM
Well, I don't know if those people from Marlin really ran under 4.3 seconds, but it may be true. Here in Port Isabel we had only two guys running under 4.5 seconds. Then again it was hand timed, so I don't know if they're accurate. I ran a 4.35 and my friend Joe ran a 4.41. We had like 4 or 5 guys run 4.5. I don't know if they're accurate though. I don't believe mine is cuz that's what Michael Vick ran, although he ran that in college. I know one thing though, we are getting faster and stronger.

big daddy russ
01-11-2003, 06:57 PM
Kool Tarpon... it's believable that you ran a 4.35... I've heard that Vick now runs a mid-4.2, but 4.3 speed is still very, very rare. A guy who went to high school with me ran a 4.34 F.A.T. at a camp and he went on to place second in state in the 100 (maybe it was the 200... I don't remember... he went in both events), but what's even more rare is a high school kid who runs a 4.2. It happens, though. Sirr Parker ran a 4.28 the summer before his first year at TAMU. There are probably two or three high school kids in the state this very minute who can go out and beat a 4.3... but I've never heard of four guys on the same team who can run 4.2's... not at any level (NFL, college, HS). I know both Darrell Green and Joey Galloway ran mid to high-4.1's in their heyday, but that's the fastest I've ever heard of.

<small>[ January 11, 2003, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: big daddy russ ]</small>

Billy Boy
01-11-2003, 11:38 PM
cunbed10:
Well it doesn't seem that we lost any speed Quarterback 4.21 2RB's 4.25 and 4.26 also these 3 start in the secondary and one receiver 4.29 LB we will run the outside and inside and air the ball out next year, oh bye the way the quarterback has a 90 mph fastball as a pitcher.
Bellville I hope your offseason gets you ready for Bellville/Marlin II 2003Were was these guys at this year!!!! :D

callandraise
01-12-2003, 11:16 AM
WE use a sun dial to time ours.

Kool Tarpon 21
01-12-2003, 03:11 PM
I don't know. We have a pretty fast team. Yeah, I knew Michael Vick ran faster than 4.35 right now. I just didn't know how fast. Our team next year is gonna be small in size, but we're gonna be FAST. Not just the backs, but also the line...We're getting faster. Yeah, I know that there are a lot of guys that can run 4.3s. I don't remember seeing anybody from Marlin at the state track meet. The guy that I was impressed with was the guy from Forney, DaBryan Blanton. That guy was fast. Well, I guess I should be doing something better than being online. Laterz.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
01-12-2003, 11:11 PM
What is he smokin? eek! If they are so fast, I guess we will see them in the state track meet. It looks like this guy is still not over the loss to Bellville. Don't you just like the people that loss to an opponent and all they have to say is, just wait until next season, or hope your offseason will prepare you for the rematch, Bellville vs Marlin. Hey the game is over, and if we meet in 2003, it will more than likely be another great game. :)

cunbed10
01-13-2003, 09:36 AM
We timed everyone with the wind behind them, each athlete had 4 times. As far as D'Nerian Wrighter the pitcher/quarterback/runningback/safety/everything he didn't complete his soph year at pitcher he focus on football. If I'm not mistaking Marlin holds alot of state track records checked your stats especially early 1990's the 40 timing was just to arouse 3ADownlow, but we will be faster this year than last year,due to the fact of the quarterback position, by the way Bellville we took our lost with a grain of salt and we have moved on, but it's like this if we were to play Ennis 9 out of 10 times we would probably loose. In Bellville's case if you guys play Mighty Marlin 9 out of 10 times you guys will loose so it looks like you guys have used your 1 win card up so 2003 won't be pleasant. We gave you guys that game and your coach and everyone who watch would agree, so Bellville you deal with the gift you received from the Bulldogs in 2002 becasue you Christmas tree will be bare in 2003. Bulldogs 2003.

cunbed10
01-13-2003, 09:43 AM
Big Daddy russ Mr. Tomlinson attended Marlin his freshman year at, My wife's sister Sharon Tomlinson is Married to Mr. San Diego Charger's Brother O. T. Tomlinson alos his father's name I know how fast he is, I see him in person alot so the 40 times was a reaction thing I C that I got a reaction from everyone something to keep us busy until September, as for Bellville we are coming to take your best shot we only see Red you guys have a bulls eye on your back and it's not your mascot.

Bellville22
01-13-2003, 01:21 PM
Are they changing the playoffs next year to a one game, winner-takes-all match between Marlin and Bellville? Dr. Brightup (sp?) of the UIL came and talked to one of my classes last semester and he didn't mention anything about that. Seems all you guys are worried about is beating the Brahmas. I'm fairly certain that there are gonna be many more damn good football teams that either of us will have to contend with, assuming we reach the playoffs. I haven't heard any of our underclassmen talking about how they can't wait to get revenge on Bandera. They're getting ready to start offseason to try to be better for next year, you know when everything starts over and it really doesn't make a lick of difference who you beat the previous year.

As for the 9 out of 10 thing. I'd like to know what kind of formula you used to figure that one out. Maybe I can apply it to Bellville/Bandera, say they used their 1 win, and make myself feel better :rolleyes: . Seriously, give me a break.

cunbed10
01-13-2003, 02:30 PM
We will give u a break or 2 we only c u guys, that's where the buck stopped. Maybe your guys felt overmatched with Bandera, In your case Marlin didn't feel overmatched with Bellville. It's personal and business so I guess u can call it pusiness.

Bellville22
01-14-2003, 11:19 AM
cunbed10:
We will give u a break or 2 we only c u guys, that's where the buck stopped. Maybe your guys felt overmatched with Bandera, In your case Marlin didn't feel overmatched with Bellville. It's personal and business so I guess u can call it pusiness.What???

Can anybody translate this for me?

BULLDOGFAN
01-14-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by cunbed10:
We will give u a break or 2 we only c u guys, that's where the buck stopped. Maybe your guys felt overmatched with Bandera, In your case Marlin didn't feel overmatched with Bellville. It's personal and business so I guess u can call it pusiness.
I followed it well until he pusinessed you. Did that hurt?
Sounds to me like Marlin didn't like quitting so early this year. Some teams just can't lose and move on. Bandera lost to Fredericksburg, Liberty Hill, and Burnet. Those losses made us a better team. But only this year, not next year.

He has to realize it is clean slate next year and what happened this year will not happen next year.

Bandera Championship Parade is Feb. 1 st, finaly....

vet93
01-14-2003, 02:24 PM
Hey...that hits pretty close to home wink Actually I think we did have somebody break the good old 4.7 barrier back in....let me see...197? or was it 196? something or other...I can't remember. In all seriousness in the late seventies we did have a world class sprinter come out of good old ballinger...Ellison Portis...tremendous potential but had some difficutly staying in college longer than a semester at a time.

callandraise:
WE use a sun dial to time ours.

reddie71
01-15-2003, 02:12 PM
listen, men i coach here at marlin and we do not have anyone that ran faster than 4.59 and that was ran at the combine in san antonio (army all-americam combine ) we do have great talent here , our head coach just didn't get the job done this year. Bellville had a great team they put it all on the line in our play-off game, gosh three OT's .. it had to be hard for them to get up and play the next week.. and take nothing away from, bandera they are the state champs.. it was their year, now let them enjoy it..

callandraise
01-15-2003, 10:08 PM
I rember Ellison Portis and he was very fast.We also had another one in in the late 50's named Carlton Stowers,he was one of the fastest 100 yard dash men in the state.Unfortunately they found out in Brownwood we had him and his father was offered a good job in Brownwwod.That sort of thing was very common in those days. Thats two in just 45 years,oh well we have won about 70% of our games over that time span so maybe speed isn't everything.A reporter once asked Ken Stabler(QB of the old Oakland raiders for you youngsters)if he ever ran with the ball,he said he tried once and got flaged for delay of game.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
01-15-2003, 11:55 PM
It is good to hear a coach from Marlin clear this one up, Hey reddie71 good to see your post. We here in Bellville know what you mean when you say," the head coach just didnt get the job done" We have had that problem also, Yes Bellville has had good teams but it is not the coach that should take credit, it is the pool of talent in Bellville, Bellville has had the talent the last 2 years to win state, but you must have some good coaching to go along with the talent. I have heard Sealy people say if Bellville only had a T.J Mills type coach they would have some state titles allready, but thats water under the bridge, we sould have a better team in 2003, but the same coaching staff. Well I say the same, there is a big turn around in assistant coaches here because they come for a year and leave the next. I will not go into detail why they leave, but if you are a coach you get the picture! T.J once said in a Sealy booster club meeting after a Bellville loss to Sealy, "Bellville has great talent, If I could coach those boys we beat Friday night, meaning Bellville, I could beat my Sealy bunch". Sealy won state that year. There is to much politics in Bellville its who you know, or who you are, If you have a kid in school and you are on the school board, If your kid plays, you as a coach will be there untill that person is off the board, sad but true. I guess that happens in more places than Bellville, and the people of Bellville get frustrated when the talent is there and have no football titles. Dont get me wrong we are very proud of or kids and town. I have kept it to myself, but know that football is over I can speak my opinion, with not having to worrie if my boy, who started, will get benched because of an opinion. Good luck to the students of Bellville High.

keep_it_real
01-16-2003, 01:23 PM
its a damn shame that politics does play a role in highschool football. It seems that over the past few years the calibur of coaches coming out of college is low. The standards arent there, and they react in situation just like kids do. Im not tlaking donw on all coaches, there are many who change guys lifes after they graduate for the better, but there are a select few that get their positions by chance, then ruin kids.

big daddy russ
01-16-2003, 06:33 PM
keep_it_real:
its a damn shame that politics does play a role in highschool football. It seems that over the past few years the calibur of coaches coming out of college is low. The standards arent there, and they react in situation just like kids do. Im not tlaking donw on all coaches, there are many who change guys lifes after they graduate for the better, but there are a select few that get their positions by chance, then ruin kids.It's easy to talk about character and ethics and all that. That's called preaching. What's tough is to back up all that talk. That's called integrity. What towns with those problems need is a coach or two of impecable integrity in all aspects of their lives, and mix that in with a little success on the gridiron. I know that's a tough combination to find, but if they could find that man it would be hard for the townsfolk to find a legitimate reason to fire him.

PPHSfan
01-16-2003, 06:58 PM
I heard that Keith7 clocked his fastball at 99 mph. using a candle, a coffee can, and a stopwatch. I am not sure exactly how he did it, but I am sure it was accurate. :p

Billy Boy
01-16-2003, 09:01 PM
I think you call it a junk ball !! :cool:

Swarm 51
01-17-2003, 02:33 AM
reddie71:
listen, men i coach here at marlin and we do not have anyone that ran faster than 4.59 and that was ran at the combine in san antonio (army all-americam combine ) we do have great talent here , our head coach just didn't get the job done this year. Bellville had a great team they put it all on the line in our play-off game, gosh three OT's .. it had to be hard for them to get up and play the next week.. and take nothing away from, bandera they are the state champs.. it was their year, now let them enjoy it..

Swarm 51
01-17-2003, 03:00 AM
Reddie 71, you stated you are a coach at Marlin. You further stated "our head coach just didn't get the job done this year." I am sure you are referring to Coach Malone. How do you think he would react in knowing one of his own coaches would make such a derogatory remark on a public message board? If that is the way you truly feel then be loyal enough to express your feelings to him in person. No, I am not from Marlin, but am very familiar with Coach Malone. Marlin is very lucky to have him.

cunbed10
01-17-2003, 08:31 AM
Maybe Reddi 71 isn't a coach maybe he is pretending, because that is a pretty bold statement to say on the internet, especially about your boss, I mean I get upset with some of the decision Malone has made in the past, but I know what he has done for this town and the kids, and if I'm not mistaking he has the most wins in playoffs and in regular season. I for one was very upset at the Bellville game, simply because we didn't kick a fieldgoal and end the game after the first OT, but s#$! happens I am backing Malone and the bulldogs next year and the same enthusiatic crowd will back the Bulldogs and Malone also in 2003 see ya in a few months.

Swarm 51
01-18-2003, 01:59 AM
Cunbed 10, like you I have my doubts that Reddie 71 is a Marlin coach, but simply a "wannabe." His profile shows his occupation as a "cpa." If he is an imposter posing as a member of the Marlin coaching staff then I feel he should not be given the opportunity of posting on a public message board under false pretenses. I admire your loyalty to Coach Malone and his staff. Keep it up. There are times that all H/C will be second guessed, but it is so important they know their community fully supports he and his assistants even though we might sometimes disagree with their decisions on the playing field. I am a loyal Gatesville Hornet fan and we will be visiting the Marlin Dawgs for our second scrimmage game in August.

MARLINFAN
01-18-2003, 12:44 PM
well to end all of this reddie 71 is coach malone.

Swarm 51
01-19-2003, 02:22 AM
MARLINFAN:
well to end all of this reddie 71 is coach malone.Sure glad to hear the mystery is solved, if indeed Coach Malone did send the message. Didn't care to see some "wannabe" impersonating a well respected coach.

cunbed10
01-21-2003, 08:24 AM
Well If this is coach Malone you should know who cunbed10 is, here is a hint What's up Big Dogg!
that's right coach this is D.Scott Class of 87' Loyal fan to the end, if cut by a knife the blood I would bleed, would be the color purple and gold, for real. :cool:

Red Blood
01-21-2003, 03:52 PM
Since H.S. Football season has been over I do not read the Forum very often. Therefore, I am a little late to read FormerBellvilleBrahma's January 15, 2003 10:55 PM post.
When reading this Forum I would like to think and believe, the people who are posting are (1)sincere about our kids and (2) know what they are talking about. Knowing that is not always the case and knowing a lot of the facts here in Bellville, I can tell you, my fellow readers, in this post, FormerBellvilleBrahma is neither and he only has a personal vendetta that has NOTHING to do with H.S. coaching or small town politics. He has been on a witch hunt for years looking for any opportunity to cut our HC/AD and anyone who supports him.
Having lived here all of my life, playing sports and having kids involved in sports under other HC/ADs, I can state from first-hand experience; we now have "one of the" best, well-organized, and disciplined athletic programs Bellville has ever seen and it is getting better every year. The only "politics" involved was the fortunate hiring of a good HC/AD in 1995 and already having an administration in place working together for the better of our kids. If you want to call that politics, then so be it, but there have not been any kids playing because of "politics". Every kid is out there on their own merit and not Mom's or Pop's.
We will continue to do great things here in Bellville and as far as FormerBellvilleBrahma is concerned, in this case, he is full of it. And "IT" stinks.

Keith7
01-21-2003, 05:05 PM
Here in Gainesville our team is built on speed.. and we routinly have guys running 4.5's and under

Keith7
06-16-2003, 01:35 AM
Cunbed10 said it first

BULLDOGFAN
06-16-2003, 06:46 AM
Where did this come from?

Keith7
06-16-2003, 07:47 AM
looked back on past post from like january

Keith7
02-10-2004, 06:21 PM
I wonder if marlin had more times like this during this year's offseason

ThaRealBulldog
02-10-2004, 07:41 PM
I didn't see any of that 4.3 Marlin speed against Atlanta.

GETBACKCOACH
02-10-2004, 09:23 PM
I would say Atlanta is ready to set some world records in track....if all those young ones from Marlin can move that fast. Cause it seemed that Marlin didn't have anyone that could break 5 seconds in the forty when they played in the State Game in football.......LOL

Gainesville was the fastest Defensive team I saw all last year and they only had 2 players faster than 4.6

Old Tiger
02-10-2004, 09:28 PM
Man, some fast boys, or were the clocks?

crabman
02-10-2004, 10:49 PM
The fastest electronically timed 40 I ever saw published was Deion Sanders. 4.28. If you want a good explanation of hand timed versus Fully Automatic Timing (FAT) go the website www.texastrack.com. (http://www.texastrack.com.) It explains that you add 0.24 seconds to all hand times 400 meters and under. If you will check all of the old records at the state track meet you will see this is true. I saw Marlon Ramsey run a 45.12 400 meters at state and everywhere you look now it is 45.36. Add .24 to all of those Marlin times and you get a lot of reasonable times.