PDA

View Full Version : Abilene area all star game

wildstangs
06-12-2003, 06:43 PM
Here is a story of the highlights from the all star game last Saturday night. I know its old, but I have been in the process of moving.

FCA Classic worth another look
PRESS BOX VIEW

By Noell Barnidge
Reporter-News Staff Writer
June 11, 2003

It was a play South quarterback Will Galusha and running back Brandon Diles had successfully executed hundreds of times during their Cooper High School football careers.

Last Saturday night, however, during the Fellowship of Christian Athletes Myrle Greathouse All-Star Classic, something went wrong.

On third-and-3 at the North’s 8-yard line, Galusha took the snap, quickly turned and promptly bumped into Diles in the backfield. Galusha was tackled for a 2-yard loss and you could tell by the collective groan from half of the Shotwell Stadium crowd (the South boosters) a botched routine play was the last thing anyone expected.

"I got jumbled up and forgot who I was supposed to fake to and ran into him," said a smiling Galusha after the game. "I can’t believe that happened. We’ve run that play so many times. That was my fault."

Galusha made up for his mistake on the next play when, facing fourth-and-5, he scampered off right tackle for a 10-yard touchdown to tie the game at 20. A PAT by former Bangs High School player Marcus Draper sealed the 21-20 victory for the South.

The game, featuring some of the best football players from Abilene and the Big Country, was perhaps the most exciting in the series, which is now tied at 2.

Besides big-play strikes like a 52-yard touchdown pass from North quarterback Tye Butler to former Big Spring High School teammate Brandon Mendoza, and a 63-yard touchdown pass from South quarterback Shane Colburn of Winters to Jeremy Newton of Bangs, the game also was peppered with several spectacular defensive plays.

North defensive lineman Travis Carpenter, a 6-foot-2, 210-pound graduate of Clyde High School, sacked Galusha for a 3-yard loss on the South’s second play of its second possession. Eleven plays later, Galusha fumbled on the North’s 16-yard line and linebacker Kevin Stennett, a 5-foot-11, 180-pound graduate of Cisco High School, recovered for the North.

During the North’s second play of its second possession of the second quarter, South linebacker Dusty Purvis, a 5-foot-9, 165-pound graduate of Cross Plains High School, sacked Butler for a 3-yard loss.

Galusha, who also played at defensive back, broke up what likely would have been a touchdown pass from North quarterback Mychal Carrillo of Sweetwater to Abilene High School graduate Jerale Badon when Galusha dove at the goal line midway through the second quarter.

On the South’s third possession of the second quarter, Colburn connected with wide receiver Rusty Jackson of Winters for a completion but Jackson bobbled the ball and North defensive back M.J. Quintinilla of Rotan recovered Jackson’s fumble in mid-air.

But eight plays later, Sweetwater’s Randyn Tenery fumbled and South linebacker Landon Wolfe, a Wylie High School graduate, recovered.

On the third play of the North’s first drive of the third quarter, Carrillo was intercepted by Newton.

South defensive end Kinny Spotwood, a 6-foot-1, 215-pound Cooper High School graduate, sacked Butler for a 9-yard loss before the end of the third quarter.

With 39 seconds to play in the game, the South’s Draper sacked Carrillo on second-and-5.

Two plays later, the South’s Spotwood and Chris Jones of Brownwood combined to sack Carrillo on the final play of the game to preserve the win.

Last Saturday night, fans were treated to a rare sporting event — a thrilling all-star game where the excitement was on both sides of the line.

Buffalo
06-14-2003, 10:11 AM
If you did not see the game the crowd got a show every time Mychal Carrillo of Sweetwater touched the ball. On several occasions he juked the 5A defense player and the 2A defensive player. The crowd went crazy. It was a great game and those young men represented their home towns with a lot of class.