PDA

View Full Version : Everman-Azle scrimmage report..

Matthew328
08-16-2003, 06:55 PM
The Bulldogs looked shaky and sloppy at times against Azle...and other times they looked downright unstoppable...I guess that could be the norm for a while with a young team...Azle's first offense ran 20 plays and didn't do much at all getting a couple of first downs but nothing major..their second offense did even less...Everman's first offense came out and on the 5th play Robert Moore broke loose for a 65 yd TD run..later Neiman Busch hit Tim Jackson on a long pass play setting up a short TD pass to 6'6 TE Anthony Spoon...Everman's 2nd offense got a first down here and there but didn't muster much...Azle's first offense ran 20 more plays and this is where the wheels started to shoot off some..late in Azle's 20 plays their QB ran a counter option and broke it all the way for a TD..looked like a total busted assisgnment and bad tackling..that is all thier first offense did...their 2nd offense scored 2 more times...first a short out route turned into a long gain down inside the 5 becuase of poor tackling..Azle punched in a short TD run...and then the final TD looked to be somewhat fluky...Azle's 2nd QB throws up a prayer..Everman's backup safety looks to have a sure INT but slips trying to make the catch..the ball bounces right off his hands behind him and into the arms of the Azle WR who walks into the end zone..Everman's first offense got back out and scored on another long TD pass from Busch to Jackson...Everman's second offense struggled near the end...Everman's D would have also scored a TD as Shamarcus Halloway intercepted a pass and woulda walked into the end zone had it not been a scrimmage...give Azle credit they played well...

GRADES
Quarterbacks B+: Busch threw the ball well as did the backup Brown...neither QB had much time to throw...however both need to work on running the option...

Running Backs: C+ Moore at FB looked pretty good, neither TB got much work both had maybe 7 carries at the most..they broke a few good runs but the line play didn't help them out much..both backs were forced to break 2 or 3 tackles before they even got to the line of scrimmage...I almost wanted to give an incomplete here..

Tight Ends/Wide Recievers: A- Jackson is gonna be tough for anyone to stop...great hands 6'4 and can run..he'll be a load..Anthony Spoon showed good hands and can be a good target from the TE slot..Boatwright didn't play much at TE this scrimmage...Jeremy Cooks made a nice catch and keep an eye on Soph Chris Moore who caught a pass..at 6'3 he could be a wild card..he is rail thin though...if he can be good on D he could sneak up and make the varsity...

Offensive Line: F I thought this would be a strong suit, and it wasn't....Busch and Brown were hit way too many times and the backs were having to dodge defenders in the backfield..I know they were mixing and matching line-ups but judging from this scrimmage alone they didn't look very good..I'm sure they'll pick it up some next week...at least I hope...

Defensive Line: B They were solid, Brian Jones was his usual self, Boatwright played well also..depth may be a concern as the backups had a little trouble..

Linebackers: B- They blew a couple of assignments, one player who I won't mention was getting his butt chewed on pretty good after the long TD run by the Azle QB which led me to believe he blew an assignment..overall they got better as the game wore on..they are young and I expect improvement this week..

Defensive Backs: B- star SS Jeremy Cole didn't play but maybe 10 plays..he took a shot to the head and had an ice pack on his head the rest of the scrimmage..the CB's are a little smallish but the starters looked solid..Tim Jackson may force his way onto defense also as he had the hit of the day coming up and leveling an Azle TB on the option..tis group would have gotten an A had it not been for the bad tackling by the 2nd unit..

I'm not too worried yet..usually every year Everman has a scrimmage where they don't play well..usually it is the last one though..hopefully we'll see improvement Thursday...a side note Everman's freshman group looks STRONG..this is the group that was unbeaten in junior high and beat Ennis last year..they have a QB who is a total STUD..he likely won't be on the freshman team very long at all I look for him to be the JV QB before long..

Old Cardinal
08-16-2003, 09:59 PM
Matt, you are a natural writer, its easy to picture in your mind about what has happened, the way you structure your report!

rholl
08-18-2003, 11:05 AM
Thanks Matt....I heard a report from other sideline and they were happy with the way they stacked up against Everman this yr. Defense apparently looked confused. Who is fish QB????
Other reporter said Everman looked down a little this yr...but he did strees LITTLE!!!!!

Matthew328
08-18-2003, 12:05 PM
I think part of how Everman looked bad is the fact they are young...still a lot of learning to do..Azle did play very well...but on offense Everman didn't have their entire starting O-Line out there which would have helped the running game a LOT...and as usual this early the offense is always ahead of the defense..I am willing to be Everman will look a lot better this week against Heights..Freshman QB is a kid named Stovall..been hearing great things about him since junior high..the kid is VERY good..matter of fact that whole freshman group is really good..gonna get to Thursday's scrimmage early just to check him out again..

<small>[ August 18, 2003, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Matthew328 ]</small>

rholl
08-18-2003, 12:15 PM
Thursady scrimmage.....time and place????????