PDA

View Full Version : Jasper vs. Sinton (statistically)

Titans
11-06-2002, 10:24 PM
After doing some research, I came up with strength of opponents power ratings.

Sintons opponents average: 100.51
Jaspers opponents average: 105.38

Someone on here said Jasper hasn't played anybody. NOT SO MY FRIEND.

I'd love to be at that game if they both get that far...we'll just have to wait and see.

nxman
11-07-2002, 12:18 AM
Whoever said Jasper hasn't played anybody is sadly mistaken. I can agree that noone in their district has been much of a challenge, BUT, they played a couple of tough pre-district games - namely Houston Jesuit. Jesuit played a team in Louisiana recently by the name of Ruston and got beat by a respectibly low margin considering Ruston is a Texas 5A equivalent. It may be Jesuit's only loss, although I can't be certain about that. Ruston is hanging right in there with West Monroe and Shreveport Evangel, both of whom are power houses in not only the state of Louisiana, but also in the nation. They both have been nationally ranked in the top 5 off and on for the last 5 years. When Jasper played Jesuit, they lacked their starting quarterback due to injury and only lost by 11 points. So, to say Jasper hasn't played anybody is crazy!

Also, consider they played Newton in district who is no slouch. They beat Newton handily even if you ignore the turnovers. Newton has a good defense, but its hard to defend against Jasper's offensive line if they are pushing your defensive line into your linebackers the entire game. Jasper has done that very thing to every team they've faced this year.

A Jasper/Sinton game would be fun to watch! They both have great teams, but Jasper has a little something to prove due to unexpected losses. The losses might even play into their hands against playoff opponents.

My pick goes to Jasper with a healthy line-up and just as healthy backups. Let's hope both teams get that far.

sinton66
11-07-2002, 08:28 AM
I don't think anyone from Sinton said Jasper hasn't played anybody. I wouldn't worry too much about a Jasper/Sinton match-up just yet, first of all, it's too far away, and secondly, it might not happen. Sinton may be playing a bunch of JV players in the first two rounds. Sinton has not been as fortunate with the injury intangible as they were last year. I just hope we get everybody healthy so we can challenge Burnet the way we should be able to. If we don't, you might be looking at a Jasper/Burnet match-up. I firmly believe that the survivor of Sinton/Burnet will give Jasper a run for their money, provided they stay healthy.

RBARKER
11-07-2002, 08:55 AM
It was me that stated that Jasper has not played anyone! the first 3 games they played were against 3 4A apponents all which have 6 wins between them. Next is the Hou. Strake Jesuit lose, This team lost to St. Puis which was beaten by Sweeny! Then comes another win against 4A Houston Smiley they have yet to win a game! Up comes Kirbyville they held your offense to 14 points. I grant you the Newton win was big but to say you havn't played a weak schedule is crazy! I am not a Jasper basher. I just keep reading about this super team JASPER on here all of the time but looking at there schedule and stats they are just a regular playoff team shooting for a state trophy.

southern_thunder
11-07-2002, 09:12 AM
Well Jasper will do their part and if Barbers Hill will do theirs then you will get your chance to see just how good Jasper is.

duckbutter
11-07-2002, 02:34 PM
For anyone who thinks Jasper is just a lot of hype, you just don't know what kind of monster they really are. I personally would love to see BH or BC play Jasper...LOL!!

RBARKER
11-07-2002, 03:19 PM
<small>[ November 07, 2002, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: RBARKER ]</small>

RBARKER
11-07-2002, 03:35 PM
Duckbutter, I dont think anyone thinks that Jasper is a bunch of hype! Jasper seems to have a good team but I am just curious how they will match up against stronger competition come playoff time. They did get a good win against Newton but Newton isnt exactly blowing teams out of the water as they have done in the past. If BH does make it that far I'm sure we will give Jasper a good game, But thats a long way off and BH will have to go through two quality teams to get that far. On the other hand Jasper will too. I just keep seeing comments on this board like "Jasper would win DIV I 4A", " No one can stay with Jasper" which has got me looking at what this team has done this year to support those claims. Like I have said before I could be dead wrong but we will see once the playoff race begins. Good luck to all of the teams going into the playoffs this should be a great race.

sinfan75
11-08-2002, 05:48 AM
Titans:
After doing some research, I came up with strength of opponents power ratings.

Sintons opponents average: 100.51
Jaspers opponents average: 105.38

Someone on here said Jasper hasn't played anybody. NOT SO MY FRIEND.

I'd love to be at that game if they both get that far...we'll just have to wait and see.Jasper Opponents records-29-51(
don't have Strakes record)
Sinton opponents records- 51-39
Looks like your numbers are from the beginning of the season and not up to date.

sinton66
11-08-2002, 08:09 AM
As it currently stands, Sinton is ahead slightly on pf/pa ratio. At 313/61, Sinton is at 5.13 to 1. At 312/72, Jasper is at 4.33 to 1. That will probably change tonight, as Sinton coaches plan to rest everybody they can. Good luck to Jasper the rest of the way.

big daddy russ
11-08-2002, 10:53 AM
i went to the jesuit website and got the info on who they've played. say what you want about them, but they beat bay city so they can't be all that bad.

http://www.strakejesuit.org/athletics/football/scheds.html

7-3 record with losses to ruston, la (top 10 5A team in louisiana) killeen (Class 4A, 5-4) and st. pius x. key wins over jasper, bay city (Class 4A, 5-4) and waller (Class 4A, 4-5).

spiveyrat
11-08-2002, 01:03 PM
I think you are dead wrong! (In other words, in my opinion)...

Jasper has received all the hype they've gotten because they deserve it. They are basically the same team as they were last year. They lost few seniors and went far into the 4A playoffs (quarter-finals I think???) last year. With that same talent, why shouldn't they perform at least as good as last year in a smaller classification this year? Jasper, this year, could conceivably play with teams in the top five in 4A and the top twenty in 5A.

Oh, and I'm sure that Kirbyville score was the result of looking ahead to Newton (no disrespect meant to Kirbyville).