PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Burnet for the #1 Ranking

cunbed10
06-16-2003, 09:53 AM
Week four should be very interesting to any football fan #1 ranked Bulldogs from Burnet vs. #3 ranked Bulldogs from Marlin, should be Rosebud-lott vs Mcgregor like atmosphere that was a doozie.

Jimbotex40
06-17-2003, 12:08 AM
who was ranked No. 2?

Excel94
06-18-2003, 08:05 PM
Ok, I am impressed with McGee and Shipley, especially with Shipley's 79 receptions.
They are obviously excellent athletes.
Question is...how many attempts did Coach Shipley call to get those 79?

3afan2K3
06-18-2003, 08:13 PM
In DCTF Everman was at #2

SWTdawg
06-19-2003, 12:02 AM
Watch out for the new running back for Burnet, Chris Levens, huge guy that runs real fast. In my opinion he is much better than the running back last year, faster and smarter. Shipley is going to break the state record for career TD receptions too :)

See you guys vs Reagan !!!

Old Dog
06-19-2003, 08:24 AM
Excel94....can't quote a real number, but I saw all of Burnet's games except Marlin...honestly there were very few incomplete passes to Jordan. That's one the things that is so exciting about him, he has the ability to get to the ball. Many of his "catches" last year were ones I thought were going incomplete. You must realize this opinion is coming from an OLD, SLOW lineman. He seems to have no fear of going thru traffic or laying out for receptions. People also don't that he played with injuries thru most of the playoffs that hurt his ability to fake and cut back.

<small>[ June 19, 2003, 08:30 AM: Message edited by: Old Dog ]</small>

bulldawg89
06-19-2003, 12:35 PM
Burnet's whole entire offense is still intact with Shipley and Mcgee returning, as well as 3 returning linemen wich are bigger stronger and faster than last year, they also have another fast white boy that will be carrying the ball for them this year, Chris Levens.

As for defense both ends, a free safety, and a outside linebaker are being replaced as we speek. But their middle linebackers (wich includes Ty Kuhn, an all state backer) are returning as well as the two tackles and secondary.

Burnet has what it takes to get to the 15th game again, they will just have to fight the 14 battles first.

Matthew328
06-19-2003, 04:51 PM
Wow that is pretty bold to say this year's TB is gonna be better than Miller....being a great back isn't all about size and speed...it is about having vision and seeing the hole develop...it remains to be seen if Burnet's new back will have the kind of vision Miller had..if he does..look out..but if he struggles then Burnets offense won't be as potent as last year...teams will roll coverage at Shipley..pin their ears back and blitz all day...I think losing Templeton isn't being talked about as much as it should either...

Old Dog
06-19-2003, 09:52 PM
Matt, thanks you mentioning Templeton. His experience prior to moving to Burnet (I was told) was a small school QB. Really he did a remarkable job for such little time at TE. If you recall, several of his catches were at clutch moments and he turned 3 or 4 during the playoffs into lots of yardage. I think Arkansas got a diamond in the rough!

I feel Levens has been very under-rated in the speed department. This track season proved he has stepped it up. It will be difficult for him to duplicate Miller's lateral moves, but I'm really looking forward to seeing him give it a shot.

espn1
06-20-2003, 02:10 PM
I look forward to seeing teams blitz Burnet that only enhances our running game. The only reason Everman was sucessful on the blitz was because of McGees broken leg. If he would have been healthy he could have scrambled like his opponent. We couldn't run any option plays. I'm not try to take anything away from Everman because they were great.

Rabdad
06-20-2003, 05:41 PM
Congrats on the #1. I always said it's almost as much fun being ranked #1 as it is really being #1. I still meet people who think we won state in '01

big daddy russ
06-20-2003, 06:39 PM
Ignore this post... see below.

<small>[ June 20, 2003, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: big daddy russ ]</small>

big daddy russ
06-20-2003, 06:42 PM
Another guy who's being overlooked is Burnet's number two receiver (I forget his name off hand). He really impressed me in the Jasper game last year. He'd be the best wideout in most DISTRICTS across Texas, but he was overshadowed by Shipley most of last year. In the Jasper game, he really took over and did a great job of getting position on the DB. He also runs great routes and is very quick. They can double Burnet's main guy all they want, but you have to remember that Shipley's not the Bulldogs' only threat on the outside. Templeton, though, is a huge (like 6'7" huge) loss.

<small>[ June 20, 2003, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: big daddy russ ]</small>

espn1
06-20-2003, 07:01 PM
I think that you're thinking of Cody Warner?

big daddy russ
06-20-2003, 07:13 PM
That'd be the guy.

Old Dog
06-20-2003, 10:26 PM
I've heard talk of a soph WR that should give Shipley some relief time too.

Everman01Grad.
06-21-2003, 02:16 AM
congrats burnet on the #1 post.All i got to say is other schools reading this....watch out for burnet next year i do believe they will be the team to beat...Keep a look out for forney as well

bulldawg89
06-23-2003, 10:45 AM
I can assure you there is no soph. WR coming up to releive Shipley. Shipley, Warner, and whoever the TE ends up being(since there are four to choose from) will be the receivers.

1 bulldog fan
06-23-2003, 04:24 PM
I think you will be suprised at some of the talent you will see at wide receiver posisions this year. I have had the opportunity to see all of Burnets 7 on 7 games this year and the high points leader at two out of three tournaments was an underclassman. #1

Bandera YaYa
06-23-2003, 05:00 PM
I would like to say "Good Luck" to Burnet, hope they have a great season next year.

And, wouldn't know how fun it is to be ranked #1,(everyone knows we weren't ranked anywhere, anytime).... just know how fun it is to actually be #1!! :p :p

sinton66
06-23-2003, 05:48 PM
I'm wondering how everybody in Burnet feels about having that GREAT BIG RED AND WHITE TARGET on THEIR chests this year? You just know everybody is gunning for ya! Being ranked #1 at the start is a whole lot easier than keeping it. This I can say from experience. We never wanted it anyway last year. wink

Chris Hart
06-23-2003, 08:45 PM
Hey 66, As a fan, I personally hate the idea of being the pre-season #1, but most of our returning players are pretty humble and are pretty good at staying focused. They should handle it as well as can be expected, but to win a championship, you have to beat all the teams in front of you regardless if you are ranked #1 or not. I do understand what you're saying and from my standpoint I agree wholeheartedly. Some Burnet followers may disagree, but I personally wouldn't mind Burnet getting severely tested or even beaten a time or two before the playoffs this year.

<small>[ June 23, 2003, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: Chris Hart ]</small>

Bandera YaYa
06-23-2003, 08:58 PM
I agree, Chris! Letting it go to your head is a sure bet for failure. Keep your guys focused and humble. It works. Anyway, polls, especically pre-season ones are just folly for conversation!

HotDawg89
06-23-2003, 10:07 PM
I've been told that Levens is only a 10th of a second off Shipley's speed. That should liven things up! Last year when Miller was out for I know at least one game, due to a family situation, Levens stepped up and did a tremendous job...(I believe it was against Liberty Hill, but I could be mistaken. Last year is kind of a blur the way things went...FAST.) Everyone was surprised that he did so well, and we were all wondering..."Where did he come from?" I think he is really going to be something to watch!!!

<small>[ June 23, 2003, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: HotDawg89 ]</small>

sinton66
06-23-2003, 10:15 PM
What worries me more than anything else is the cheap shots at your stars that can result from you being ranked #1. Most people would like to think that sort of thing doesn't happen, but I know better.

Old Dog
06-23-2003, 10:17 PM
I agree with Chris, Coach Shipley will not allow the players to focus much attention on outside BS. I think the primary problem with a No.1 ranking for Burnet lies in the grandstands at each game. For me personally, some of our fans are somewhat unsettling to say the least. Many of the overly expressive ones never saw a game until Burnet started winning. I can't recall who said it on this thread, but the quote "act like you have been there before" is perfect!

<small>[ June 23, 2003, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: Old Dog ]</small>

holdem
06-23-2003, 11:04 PM
Getting the big head won't be as big of a problem as avoiding the self-imposed belief that 15-0 is the only way they can be considered successful.

A week 13 loss last year would have been smoothed over with a "we're proud of you" pat on the back and players probably would have eventually agreed.

This year, a blemish in non-district or district may be overlooked if they win week 15. Slip up in one of the final 5 weeks this year and they'll be wrongfully branded underachievers. They'll feel it week 11, but I do think they probably have the maturity to deal with it.

Success has a thousand fathers; failure is a bastard.