PDA

View Full Version : Star R. B. transfers to 4A School

VWG
05-16-2002, 02:14 PM
Vernon has been dealt a blow, due to star running back Bernard Scott transferring to Wichita Falls High School.
This kid was an expolsive running back with great speed. Haven't found out why he transferred or why he will enroll at WFHS. (Wichita Falls has 3 high schools, all 4A)
If he remained in 3A he would have probably been in the top 10 returning running backs in 3A.

Jacket2000
05-16-2002, 03:29 PM
From what I hear, he was kicked out of the athletic program at Vernon, so Im assuming he transfered to WF so he could play. Hmmm, now where did I put that UIL phone number? LOL
J2K

hsguru
05-17-2002, 12:30 AM
He was a good one. Ran all over Wylie in the Bi-district game last year. Since that looks like the first round matchup next season Im a happy camper if he really did transfer. Is Leo Brittan the long time Vernon coach still at Old High (WFHS)?

VWG
05-18-2002, 09:42 PM
Nope, Leo Britain, who was a legendary 3A coach at Vernon.. then took W.F. High deep into the playoffs in 2000, took a job at Richland High School in the D/FW area. He had said it was hard to leave the WF area after coaching at Graham, then Vernon, then WF High for so long. ( Most of the years at Vernon ) He wanted to get a 5A job as he had never coached above 4A.

fury900
08-28-2002, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Jacket2000:
From what I hear, he was kicked out of the athletic program at Vernon, so Im assuming he transfered to WF so he could play. Hmmm, now where did I put that UIL phone number? LOL
J2K

yes he was kicked out of the athletic program at Vernon

fury900
08-28-2002, 09:12 AM
District 5-4A Vote Not to let Bernard Scott Play Football

Matthew328
08-28-2002, 11:54 AM
What is the deal...someone from Vernon fill me in on the fight that he got into..was he "baited" into it?? Did it have racial overtones?? What was the deal?? It appears his move was legit...I think it was chicken you know what for 5-4A to vote to not let him play....that is messing with a kids future if you ask me....so what is the deal?

Bulldog92
08-28-2002, 12:32 PM
I agree, Matthew, but there has to be more to the story than what we know. For a district to ban a player, there must be some serious allegations against him. It would be a shame if he was baited into it as you suggest. Something like this could mess a kid up for the rest of his life, regardless of the circumstances surrounding it.

Jacket2000
08-28-2002, 03:30 PM
The district voted against him b/c he obviously moved for athletic reasons, which is a UIL violation. It's not the UIL's job to make sure a kid gets into college. I dont know why Scott was kicked out of the Vernon program, but for a coach to remove a 2,000 yard rusher from his program, he had to have done something pretty bad. So now, he has to live with the consequences. Welcome to life, Mr. Scott.
J2K

Chris Hart
08-28-2002, 04:13 PM
I don't think it is the UIL's place to try and decide whether he moved to Wichita Falls for athletic reasons or not.Sounds like a little politics involved to me.Should district 24-3A vote to ban the linebacker that transferred from Burnet after he was removed from the team for disciplinary reasons.(No,No,No) Back when I was in school if you got in a fight, you didn't get banned from football, you put the boxing gloves on and went until somebody didn't want any more.I think that some AD in 5-4A that is an opponent of Wichita Falls must pack some pretty heavy pull with the UIL.Remember these are kids, if this was how it was when I was in school, I would have been banned in the 7th grade.Probably alot of you all would have been too.This is rediculous if you ask me.(I know your not), but I'm telling you anyway.

------------------
Big Green Dawg

Matthew328
08-28-2002, 06:03 PM
I don't believe kids should move for athletic reasons...but from everything I have heard (granted I am on the outside looking in) his move was legit...his parents work in Wichita Falls...it is what a 45 minute drive everyday? So they moved there..it would be really hard to prove he moved for athletic reasons though...I have a feeling the UIL will overturn this one..

Jacket2000
08-28-2002, 11:10 PM
I think it's rather obvious that he moved for athletic reasons. There was no problem with him going to Vernon, untill he was removed from the athletic program. Then, BAM, three days later he enrolls at WFHS. It doesn't take alot of deductive reasoning to figure out what prompted his transfer. No, I dont think that WFHS actually recruited him or even encoureged him to transfer, but it's obvious why he transfered; and transferring for that reason is a UIL violation. Therefore, he should not be allowed to play. The same thing would have happened had he stayed at Vernon. Like I said earlier, welcome to the real world, Mr Scott, where your actions have consequnces.
J2K

Chris Hart
08-29-2002, 12:49 AM
The last time I checked, the UIL nor any AD in the state had the ability or a special high-tech machine that reads peoples minds.I am not defending this kid's actions nor do I condone them in any way.On the other hand, I am the parent of three boys, and if one of my sons committed an act that in turn got them removed from the athletic program, I as a parent would first consider my child's education.This would lead me to have to decipher whether or not this child would be black-balled by the administration,teachers,coaches and the other students.If I felt like that was the case in any way, I would definately withdraw him from that school and enroll him at the most convenient alternative, to allow him every possibility to succeed.I also think you will find out that probably the majority of parents would agree with me on this.But for the UIL or anybody to just assume it was strictly for athletic purposes is absurd.A loving parent would weigh out their child's educational status first without even considering athletics.That could very well be the case in this situation. Maybe the UIL needs a high-tech mind reader, It more than likely would prove my point.

------------------
Big Green Dawg

[This message has been edited by Chris Hart (edited August 29, 2002).]

Old Cardinal
08-29-2002, 06:05 AM
I have to agree with Jacket----If a kid gets booted at Vernon because of serious infractions...why let him be rewarded by letting him move to another school. I would support the Districts involved on their actions.....Back years ago, I saw H.W. "Chief" Wilson kick five top stars off his team for getting in a brawl with some West Orange players(the West Orange Coach would not punish his players). We said, well Chief was right, but there goes the State Championship this year. Chief's team walked all over McKinney that year and did in fact become the 3A State Champion, without the five trouble-makers!

[This message has been edited by Old Cardinal (edited August 29, 2002).]

Chris Hart
08-29-2002, 07:04 AM
Your still hung up on the athletics deal,put yourself in his parents shoes, there is alot more important things to this kids future, for instance getting a fair shake in the classroom, from the administration and from his piers just saying thats probably what was on his parent's mind not his.His mind probably was on athletics, but there are still some parents out there that still parent (Make the decision for him) and move him to a place where the distractions are gone.I know I would.I'm just glad my life is not the one hinging on the UIL reading my parents minds and making it up for them.

mikevegas
08-29-2002, 10:20 AM
The UIL will be making a decision i believe next week. I truly think that they will overturn the decision and let him play. This vote was probably not even a fair one and took some "bribing" of some sort. Mr. Scott was suspended from Vernon athletics for al alleged fight that some think he was baited into. The Coyotes will be successful with or without Benard, but to the coaches and principles that voted against him, think about the fact that what if Mr Scott was your son. I have no doubt that the move to Wichita Falls High School was clearly for the best interest of Benard and the Scott family. LET HIM PLAY!!

------------------

mikevegas
08-29-2002, 10:21 AM
The UIL will be making a decision i believe next week. I truly think that they will overturn the decision and let him play. This vote was probably not even a fair one and took some "bribing" of some sort. Mr. Scott was suspended from Vernon athletics for al alleged fight that some think he was baited into. The Coyotes will be successful with or without Benard, but to the coaches and principles that voted against him, think about the fact that what if Mr Scott was your son. I have no doubt that the move to Wichita Falls High School was clearly for the best interest of Benard and the Scott family. LET HIM PLAY!!

------------------

slpybear the bullfan
08-29-2002, 06:46 PM
Guys,

I don't think that anyone here knows the facts that happened around the fight. What is known is that five atheletes at Vernon, including the young man in question, were suspended from atheletics because of some kind of altercation. I believe the suspension was for one year, but don't remember.

My understanding is that the principals of the district in question vote whether or not to let the kid compete. My $.02 is that if the principals feel like the kid is going to "escape" a punishment that is deserved, then they SHOULD want to sit him out.

Bottom line is this... Unless anyone knows the details of the altercation, then we don't know if the decision is a good one or not.

Slpybear

Bulls '89 #70

PS-Is there any good factual articles about the issue?

sinton66
08-29-2002, 07:16 PM
Trust me on this. No one has any authority in this subject except for his new school board. Neither the athletic district nor the other principles nor anyone else has any say in this. UIL rules have NOT been broken if the parents moved into the new school district. TRUST ME ON THIS, nothing else matters. None of you can seriously believe that the boy or his parents would ever admit this was for athletic purposes only. It's what the PARENTS say that counts. We've been through this too!(years ago).

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited August 29, 2002).]

Chopblock
08-29-2002, 10:11 PM
The U I L might well overturn this, but I think we only know about 20% of the story.

coolguycody_c
08-31-2002, 12:38 AM
Anyone who might say that Bernard (scott) moved for athletic reasons needs to take a step back and look at the situation. Why would an athlete move from Vernon to WFHS? It doesn't make much sense. I was a Lion for five years, and I can say that it is very difficult to leave the Vernon Lions unless there is no other choice. Unless you know Bernard and know exactly what happened, you don't need to spread rumors about the situation. There's no need to give a guy a bad name when it really isn't anyone's business but his.