PDA

View Full Version : Question on 2002 3A Pre Playoff Rankings in football

Phil C
03-02-2003, 08:42 PM
I know Sinton was ranked No. 1 at the end of the regular season but before playoffs who was ranked No. 2 to 10? Thanking everyone in advance for the information.

BigChamp05
03-02-2003, 09:14 PM
TEXAS FOOTBALL
1. Everman
2. Jasper
3. Sinton
4. La Grange
5. Commerce
6. Newton
7. Forney
8. Longview Spring Hill
9. Daingerfield
10. Carthage

AP
1. Sinton
2. Burnet
3. Celina
4. Jasper
5. Everman
6. Wills Point
7. Newton
8. Midland Greenwood
9. Longview Spring Hill
10. Gainesville

Collier-Sharp
1. Burnet
2. Jasper
3. EVERMAN
4. Marlin
5. Bellville
6. Sinton
7. Longview Spring Hill
8. Atlanta
9. Forney
10. Commerce

Do you see Bandera on there anywhere? How about the final standings? Was there any other team who got less respect than Bandera and deserved it?

1. Everman
2. Burnet
3. Jasper
4. Marlin
5. Forney
6. Daingerfield
7. Atlanta
8. Midland Greenwood
9. Sinton
10. Bellville

PPHSfan
03-02-2003, 09:20 PM
Didn't Bandera place third in their district? Where would you have ranked them prior to the first playoff game? I think they had a fantastic run, but placing third in district and being a division 2 team is hardly top ten material in the week 11 poll.

BigChamp05
03-02-2003, 09:22 PM
In the week eleven poll yes, but in the final poll, they should be top 5 easily. Injuries can kill you, but we got our stuff together, but still got no respect.

spaniard
03-03-2003, 02:50 AM
bandera made a definite turnaround after they lost to liberty hill, and i was kinda hoping that they would have to play liberty hill again just to show that that was a fluke the first time. but i agree that bandera wasnt a top 5 team. i dont think that bandera would have been able to get close to beating jasper and definitley not sinton or forney, no offense to you guys. bandera went heads up after losing to liberty hill, but i still feel that if put up against any of the teams that ended up in the top 5, bandera would have been beaten pretty good. im not trying to make anyone mad, just saying what i think about it. i respect you guys from bandera for all the support you guys gave us this year during the playoffs, so dont think im just trashing or dissing you guys.

<small>[ March 03, 2003, 01:52 AM: Message edited by: spaniard ]</small>

BULLDOGFAN
03-03-2003, 08:06 AM
Ya kinda gotta admit BigChamp05 that Bandera had to earn their respect this year. No one believed we had the caliber to go all the way. But even we wouldn't have made it if some changes didn't happen on the field. You guys were so out of position during the season that it is a wonder we won what we did. It's amazing what people playing in the right spot can do for a team.

And Spainard, the Liberty Hill game was a fluke for us. We should have won it but we didn't. We had a few mentals problems that needed toughening up. But I do beleive we would have held you guys pretty good by the end of the season.

Sometimes a State Championship Ring is better then respect. Just ask all the teams we left behind us.

BigChamp05
03-03-2003, 08:14 AM
Spaniard, we won a state championship, so in my opinion, we should at least be two or three respectfully, because ya'll did beat us. But by the end of the year, there is no doubt that we could hold our own against ya'll or any other team. Ask Greenwood, we were the only ones to beat them. When we played ya'll, we lost our reciver and DB in that game, and like BULLDOGFAN said, we were so out of position in the early season, it is a wonder how we won games. By the end of the year, when we won the championship, we could have played with anybody.

BULLDOGFAN
03-03-2003, 09:44 AM
That's a fact, Jack......

big daddy russ
03-03-2003, 10:23 AM
Most of those "final" polls are from week 11. The AP and Texas Football only takes polls through the regular season and after that it's all up to the playoffs to weed out who the best teams really are. Collier-Sharp goes through the playoffs, but they use a mathematical equation which factors in wins and losses, margin of victory compared to the spread, and the quality of teams a particular team has beat/fallen to. Both them and the Data Poll are similar this way, but both use different equations. I want to say Everman wound up ranked like 50th in the Data Poll simply because those guys weren't covering 80-point spreads.

audasmom7
03-05-2003, 12:38 PM
I wonder what percent of those polls are accurate?

Bandera YaYa
03-05-2003, 03:59 PM
Right on, BigChamp05!! But, don't waste your time trying to explain Bulldog Pride to some of the fellas on here....they just didn't eat, sleep and live it, like we all did. It'll never happen, I've been pleading our cause for months, but that's OK...like BULLDOGFAN said, you are wearing your respect you deserve on your finger and no one can ever take that away from you...EVER! Only those who have the same knows what it feels like, all the rest can play "should of, could of, would of"....the rest of their lives. And no offense taken from the Burnet guy...And you'll never know how much Bandera supported ya'll throughout the playoffs.
Best of luck to you next year!!

P.S. BigChamp05 has a brother that played for the Dogs and he plays for OU now, and he started as a Freshman....and played as a Freshman!! Go Big!! What a double dose of Bandera Pride!!!!!

Old Dog
03-05-2003, 04:58 PM
You can back off the crap about Burnet. I know for a fact the Spaniard, Chris Hart and myself pulled hard for you guys. Burnet would be stupid not to; we're in the same district. I'm sorry Burnet couldn't pull off their half of the deal but we're damn proud of our kids. We know Bandera was not in top form when they played Burnet, but they sure got it together later!

BigChamp05
03-05-2003, 06:10 PM
Thanks Old Dog, all we want is respect. You figure that winning a championship would gain you some respect, but we still havn't gotten any. But like Ya Ya said, we have the championship, and those who also have one know what its like. Ya'll have a dang good team, and we were behind you all of the way. Good luck next year.

Old Dog
03-05-2003, 09:29 PM
BigChamp, there are just some folks who don't hand out respect unless it's to their own. Most of us get to see the good times cycle up and down over the years. For Burnet the last 12 years have been better than the first 70+ years combined.