PDA

View Full Version : #5 Texas 28, Akansas 38 Upset ?

FormerBellvilleBrahma
09-13-2003, 02:59 PM
Is this a upset or is Texas over rated? Is it time for a replacement for Mack Brown? In All the years he has been coaching he has yet to win a conference title! Texas has to much talent not to win in these big games! We Texas fans are getting tired of this! :mad:

SintonFan
09-13-2003, 03:06 PM
It was an upset. Texas looked like they were out-coached in this one. A bummer.

sinton66
09-13-2003, 03:07 PM
I really think it is a legitimate upset. Texas' D simply did not show up for this game. Two offensive turnovers didn't help much either. I'm willing to wait a couple more games before the "gloom and doom" sets in. wink

<small>[ September 13, 2003, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

turbostud
09-13-2003, 03:50 PM
Mack Brown plays to conservative. He plays not to lose instead of playing to win. Same results every year.

sinton66
09-13-2003, 03:53 PM
He is very loyal to his co-ordinators also. That's not always the wisest choice.

BTW, Turbo, just noticed I hadn't voted on you, got a "5" coming your way. wink

<small>[ September 13, 2003, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

turbostud
09-13-2003, 04:02 PM
Thanks 66, I already gave you a five.

Gilmer Buckeye
09-13-2003, 04:12 PM
Turbostud, did you see the short interview with Chance Mock on the ABC telecast just as the game was getting started? He said almost exactly that. He described his role in so many words as just getting the ball to others and not doing anything to lose the game himself. What "leadership" or should I say "what leadership?"

Can you imagine Roger Staubach or Dan Marino or Joe Montana saying, "my job as QB is just not to choke; others will have to make the plays, though." I can't even imagine the Arkansas QB today saying it. That guy Jones made Chance Mock look disabled by comparison.

The way the Longhorns disappoint their fans year after year is proof that mere assemblage of the best individual talent in the country in one place cannot make them meld together as a national championship team.

Oh well. The bright side to today's loss is that no one will be disappointed when OU lays the inevitable annual stomping on the Steers in Dallas in a few weeks.

Does anyone know if Brown has ever started a black QB during his 20-year career as a head coach? All I know for sure at this point is he prefers blond white boys over redheaded ones. I'm not calling him a racist--yet--I just wondered if anyone knew. Royal was behind his hiring and I know from a number of books written about his era as coach that he had a real hard time adjusting to desegregation. I remember well that the Longhorns' 1969 championship team had maybe one black guy on the team, if that.

In case anyone wonders now that I've made some near-inflammatory remarks, I am very white. I just believe in the best available athlete playing at every position in all games--no exceptions, no affirmative action.

<small>[ September 13, 2003, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Gilmer Buckeye ]</small>

turbostud
09-13-2003, 04:18 PM
Gilmer Buckeye, no I did not see the interview. What was really amazing to me was that in the last 5 minutes of the game Mock did not throw the ball down field to his recievers. The Horns were down by 10 and kept throwing over the middle and in the flats. Roy Williams looked very disgusted.

xlr8tor
09-13-2003, 04:42 PM
turbostud:
Gilmer Buckeye, no I did not see the interview. What was really amazing to me was that in the last 5 minutes of the game Mock did not throw the ball down field to his recievers. The Horns were down by 10 and kept throwing over the middle and in the flats. Roy Williams looked very disgusted.Can't blame Roy. I would be too if I had put off making millions of dollars another year, so I could watch my dreams of a national championship possibly go down the drain because of coaching and a loss to an unranked team. With all that talent, what else can it be but coaching, that re-routes UT's chances of playing for a title. I'm all for giving a coach a little time to get things going. But, I think Mack has long past that "little time." Things are stinking in Austin. They better get it together or there will be no hope whatsoever of a National championship (if it isn't lost already) or a Big 12 championship for that matter either. Don't you know OU is licking their chops going, "here we go again." Just my take.

LH_Panther9
09-13-2003, 04:45 PM
I knew TU was gunna lose the whole time. They suck this year...

LH_Panther9
09-13-2003, 04:47 PM
and it wasnt an UPSET...

Bellville22
09-13-2003, 04:54 PM
I think Texas is overrated as they usually are, but I also think this was an upset.

I never get tired of watching Mack Brown lose. I tell you, maybe if he woulda had the greatest quarterback to ever come thru the University of Texas, Chris Simms, he may have pulled this out, Chris was always clutch in big, close games, haha. I'm sorry, but I just don't see him as one of the top coaches in the game. And he's not the best recruiter, the city of Austin is. Any 18 yr. old kid would be crazy to not want to go to school in such a great town. Year in and year out Austin brings in the best players, and every year Mack fails to take them to their potential playing level. He's never gonna be on the level of Bob Stoops, not that many are, and I look for Fran to catch him in the next few years.

They'll probably pound the Ags by 50 this year, but it's nice to see their NC hopes crushed, even before they made the trip to Dallas.

The eyes of Texas are upon you, Mack, and after what I've been reading on some of the Longhorn websites, the eyes of the Texas alumni(or "exes") and the University of Texas are upon you too, and I don't believe they're looking on you too favorably right now.

Bellville22
09-13-2003, 05:01 PM
Oh yea, it was also nice that the top RB recruit, Adrian Peterson, who was on a visit, got to hear the burnt orange crowd boo their beloved Horns for most of the second half... Priceless!

Jimbotex40
09-13-2003, 05:52 PM
hopefully peterson will go to an Fightin' Texas Aggie game, and see how loyal the Aggies will eb to him.

JasperDog94
09-14-2003, 10:15 AM
I don't think that R. C. had too many fans by the time he left A&M. I don't know if the fans booed him or not, but how else are the fans supposed to let the coach know that they think he's choking? I'm not saying booing is right or wrong, but it happens.

About the best comment on this thread was the one about Mack being too loyal to some of his coordinators...especially defensive. Can somebody please make a tackle? :mad:

sinton66
09-14-2003, 10:43 AM
What would really be funny is if Texas would be successful in going after JJ after he snubbed A&M. That would be a superb coup.

Brahma73
09-14-2003, 12:57 PM
sinton66:
What would really be funny is if Texas would be successful in going after JJ after he snubbed A&M. That would be a superb coup.Come on 66, you know it's too windy for him in Austin. He can't stand it to have his hair blowing around all over the place! :p

By the way, Sinton, what's your take on the Rice squad? Will the Brahmas side-track this supposed 16-0 steamroller?

Gilmer Buckeye
09-14-2003, 06:22 PM
Too bad Adrian had to be there "All Day." On the other hand, watching Cedric Benson "accelerate" into those holes was bound to give Peterson the feeling he can step in and start on opening night next August.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Mack Brown and Greg Davis don't start freshmen, not even REDSHIRT freshmen. Gawd, I'm gonna be sick. At least I'm not the kind of fan I was as a kid. When Texas lost back then, I would sulk for a week afterwards. Nowadays, I just expect this sort of thing. In a way, it's good they got their national championship aspirations out of the way early.

I think Cedric is finished. You've already seen his best days as a Longhorn. I just wonder if he has actually lost speed from his high school days or just never had any speed to begin with and it was all an illusion because he was playing against schools in West Texas with relatively slower athletes than if he'd been in Longview or Lufkin.

Even Selvin Young didn't look good yesterday. It's an inexperienced offensive line in front of him and they just aren't getting it done.

GoForIt
09-14-2003, 06:55 PM
I guess what goes around comes around. Too bad.

sinton66
09-14-2003, 07:00 PM
Brahma73:

sinton66:
What would really be funny is if Texas would be successful in going after JJ after he snubbed A&M. That would be a superb coup.Come on 66, you know it's too windy for him in Austin. He can't stand it to have his hair blowing around all over the place! :p

By the way, Sinton, what's your take on the Rice squad? Will the Brahmas side-track this supposed 16-0 steamroller?I don't know for sure. I haven't seen you guys this year yet. Rice is pretty solid. I think you guys prolly have as good a shot at beating them as one can find.

PhiI C
09-14-2003, 07:12 PM
Hey Sinton 66 it doesn't look like Texas is going to live up to it's potential in football again. The Texas Women's soccer team is doing very well. Maybe we could go up to Austin sometime this fall and watch them play. :)

sinton66
09-14-2003, 07:16 PM
I would like to accomodate you, Phil, but I plan on having some paint to watch dry. :D :D :D

Bandera YaYa
09-14-2003, 09:08 PM
Well, I hated to see Texas lose, but they do have some major problems to address....but I am a OU fan since one of our own started there as a Freshman..loved watching him....but he had back surgery and now helps coach the team....and I do think that game will be a killing...OU and Texas.
I used to be for A&M, but not anymore. I visited there and got to really know some alumni from there and well, let's just say I'll be cheering for Texas from now on....like my Dad and brother have been doing since the beginning of time. :D I don't know about the coaches "personal" attitudes but something is certainly suspicious there...I agree. If so, he should be run out of the country. :mad:

slpybear the bullfan
09-14-2003, 09:21 PM
Well... I am not necessarily a Horn lover... BUT I HATE to see any team from TEXAS lose to ARK-KAN-SAW... Uggghhhh...

And if anymore pig sooeys come out I may just retch in front of everyone.

:confused: :confused:

Old Tiger
09-14-2003, 09:33 PM
Start V. YOung and see how he does? It would be reasonable.

Bandera YaYa
09-14-2003, 09:35 PM
...certainly can't do any worse? I agree.

KL3
09-14-2003, 10:00 PM
Sinton66, what would be even more funny is if you actually believed those rumors about Jimmy Johnson.

sinton66
09-14-2003, 10:07 PM
I see, he was just visiting a niece or something?

hardinplaya
09-14-2003, 10:59 PM
Did anyone notice who the starting free-safety's were from each team, Texas #9 Dakari Pearson, from Dayton Texas, and Arkansas # 22 Tony Bua, from Liberty. Also, Anthony Chambers # 4, One of Purdue's leading receivers. These three guys grew up together and played each other growing up. Dakari always played QB at Dayton. Chambers was always Liberty's QB growing up and in HS. Anyways, in 1998...Chambers Junior year in Highschool as well as Bua, they went extremely deep as Juniors, and in the summer of that year the Bua family moved to Arkansas, it was sad. The whole county wanted them to play together the final year, but I am sure they will meet again on the field in the future.

St. Ivender
09-14-2003, 11:28 PM
Jimbotex40:
hopefully peterson will go to an Fightin' Texas Aggie game, and see how loyal the Aggies will eb to him.Yes and let's watch another blue-chipper wallow in obscurity in College Station where good RB's go to die. UT's O and D lines were horrible Saturday. Play V Young. Go for broke.