PDA

View Full Version : Greenwood's Wilber signs with Division One School

Green Ranger
02-04-2004, 06:59 PM
Dawson Wilber signed this morning becoming just the second Ranger to sign with a Division One School, here is the article from our local paper:

Greenwood's Dawson Wilber is expected to highlight what is going to be an unusually quiet national signing day in the Permian Basin.

Wilber, who kept his decision quiet even from head coach Bob Purser, said Tuesday he will sign with New Mexico State University at 9 a.m. today in the Greenwood High School library, choosing the Aggies over North Texas.

"I think Las Cruces has been real good to me," said Wilber, who will be going to NMSU as a defensive back/kicker. "New Mexico State has been with me since the beginning. They're going to move to the (Western Athletic Conference), they're going to be going to Hawaii when I'm there as a freshman and they've got some up-and-coming talent. Their facilities are also real nice. It's just something I want to be a part of in the future."

Also around the Permian Basin, Midland High tight end Jordan Stevens is expected to sign with Yale, Coahoma's standout wide receiver Kelby Kemper is expected to ink with Midwestern State and Permian defensive lineman Kevin Balogun will lead the Panther contingent when he signs with the University of New Mexico.

Elsewhere around District 3-5A, Abilene High's wide receiver Turtle Connor will sign with Abilene Christian and Abilene Cooper will have Desmond Jackson head to Cisco Junior College and Antwoin Livingston go with Navarro Junior College.

Wilber is expected to be only the second football player in Greenwood history to sign a Division I scholarship. Tom Marvin went to the University of Texas at El Paso in the late 1980s. Wilber going the Division I route doesn't surprise Purser.

"He's just a winner and I'm sure he can be a winner at any level," said Purser, who watched Wilber excel as a quarterback, linebacker and a kicker for four years as a Ranger. "I think he's the best game performer I've ever seen right next to (former Greenwood linebacker) Cody Hollums. He's a great kid and I'm sure he'll be good where ever he goes."

Still, there was a tough decision process for Wilber who tossed and turned between NMSU and North Texas for a few weeks.

"I was sold on New Mexico State when I got back from my recruiting trip, but when I went to visit to North Texas, I was also excited about North Texas," said the two-time District 4-3A Offensive MVP. "I just got to weigh it out and went with my gut feeling. I'm not accustomed to being a selfish guy but in this case I had to be selfish and had to do what was best for me."

Another plus that weighed in NMSU's favor was the fact that the Aggies never backed down from their initial offer when Wilber went down with an right ACL injury in the Rangers' bi-district playoff loss to Merkel.

"NMSU never blinked an eye," Wilber said. "I'm expected to get a gray-shirt, which means I won't be on campus until January. I won't be a losing year of eligibility and I would still have five years of school paid for, which is a pretty good deal."

Wilber added that his rehabilitation is ahead of schedule and he's already doing some running.

"I've never been hurt in my life, but like the doctors said it was probably only a matter of time, Wilber said. "It's probably a good thing because I can get gray-shirted and I can come back stronger than ever."

Wilber is expected to join several other players from the Permian Basin at NMSU. Lee's Steve Subia (offensive lineman), Midland Christian's Tony Joseph (running back) and Andrews' Brandon Hearn (defensive lineman) have all signed with the Aggies over the last few years.

©MyWestTexas.com 2004

jason
02-04-2004, 07:18 PM
cool....good luck to him...